EO

Vigor : New game from BI

53 minutes ago, ProfTournesol said:

Oh come on, another "survive the apocalypse" game :dozingoff:. That's pathetic.

Well it's a trend, you can't blame BIS for trying to surf on it.

What intrigues me though, is the decision to develop yet another "survival" game, while DayZ SA is sucking up ressources and nowhere close to be finished.

It's almost like Bohemia realized the DayZ phenomenon gave birth to a new genre - a new vision of multiplayer games they didn't manage to capitalize on while Fortnite, h1z1, Battlegrounds (which began as an Arma3 mod...) and others are cashing in big time.

It almost feels like they're loosing patience with Rocket's DayZ and trying to catch the hype train. siffledo2.gif

• Thanks 1

Yup, i understand the need to surf the wave but the least we can say is that most of game studios aren't looking after originality...i'm not going to buy another iteration of this type of games.

That AKM has a magazine shaped like that of an AK-74 :dozingoff:

They are not using their own engine, and its only for Xbox. So my guess is that they don't want to invest a lot of Resources into it.

Instead of seems like a game to test things out. Similar to Argo, but more in depth.

Maybe to improve combat mechanics or to improve interactions / movement mechanics.

It sound to me like a "Escape from Tarkov" clone. I just hope for BiS that it wont be.

4 hours ago, EO said:

Apparently only on XBOX. :icon_confused:

When marketing speak...

I would just like to point out that even huge developers such as once loved Crytek, almost went under with Ryse, which was Xbox exclusive. Worth taking a note of.

So basically they're redoing DayZ (minus Zeds) with the Unreal engine??

Im not big nor very knowledgeable with the whole survival genre but it pretty much seems they went full circle with it originating with DayZ mod which helped BI sell a shitload of Arma 2 (and changed their focus forever) as well as Battle Royale and all of this spawned pretty much a whole new genre. The problem seems to be that while they made a pretty penny with Arma2, most of the fruit seemed to go to its descendants ie PUBG.

An interesting part of the above video @7:20, is showing the very high reviews Arma 3 got and receives to get while pretty much all other projects that to be frank, are totally off point for the initially military minded BI,  perform exceedingly badly. While OFP/Arm always had more of a niche audience, the one thing it offered was the wide open landscape coupled with pretty good ballistics. With DayZ, in a world of Adderall induced manic Call of Duty type games, general audience was introduced to a brand new pace of gaming, that being a slower, methodical, enormous area, which each encounter with another human player a very visceral life or death situation. That sort of game tension was totally foreign at that time hence the surge in popularity.

So what happened? Just like in a relationship, the things she loved about you in the beginning become the very things she resents about you at a later point after the novelty effect wears off. People complained about the glitchiness, the too slow ability to get gear or have a fun encounter, the sense of listless wandering in a barren world with few beans. So other developers with engines maybe more streamlined for just this sort of game, started addressing these concerns by bottlenecking the player game world or decreasing its bubble, making sure servers were stable and the game less glitchy, implementing a real melee system not one where just slashing close inflicts dammage etc..

So now BI having stretched its engine too far from military to Zombie dread, heavily modifies its VR reality engine to the Enfusion engine but apparently thats not enough and have finally gone full new engine. Wonder whats in store for Arma 4..

• Like 6

BI moved on, but left many of us behind playing their older mil-sim games. A market gone to waste, I feel..

A4: If its a return to mil-sim gaming, I'll buy it. Use the dcs or train sim type path. Have decent content that has a mature price tag. Most mil-sim players understand its a niche market and will gladly pay for content, as and when.

Deaf ear's I fear.

The game above, is just more of the same... Unfortunately..

• Like 2