Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus_Long

How about adventure games?

A little less than 10 years ago when I first replaced my trusty beefed up "Amiga 500" with an IBM PC with 4MB of RAM and a sporty CD-ROM, adventure games were all the rage.   You know 7th Guest, Myst, Zork, etc...  I remember loving these games even though they got phased out quickly by the Doom revolution.

Is this genre dead or can anyone suggest any modern adventure games with some stimulating puzzles?  I'm looking for some gaming variety now that I have some time on my hands over the holidays; preferably something that will let me use my old noodle more.

xmas.gif

there's a french one called "syberia" that has been released recently i think , looks really cool , my gf bought it and plays it , but ....... i suck at adventure games smile.gif

i don't know..guess they faded out....

i know there was Prince of Persia 3D some yrs ago, and Monkey Island was out some years ago too..but at that time i did not pay attention, so don't know what happened to them

What exactly are adventure games? I don't spend my life behind screens so i always have a hard time knowing what everyone's talking about...

Is the legend of zelda series an adventure game?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What exactly are adventure games? I don't spend my life behind screens so i always have a hard time knowing what everyone's talking about...

Is the legend of zelda series an adventure game?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I am a bit confused by the term as well....

Adventure games are one where you walk a character through a series of quests, adventures and stories. It does seem to be a dying genre. If you want an oldie but a goodie, pick up Fallout/Fallout 2. Neverwinter nights is pretty cool too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 13 2002,20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Adventure games are one where you walk a character through a series of quests, adventures and stories. It does seem to be a dying genre. If you want an oldie but a goodie, pick up Fallout/Fallout 2. Neverwinter nights is pretty cool too.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought Never Winters Night was a RPG? Is it the same thing?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BaronVonRed @ Dec. 12 2002,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What exactly are adventure games?  I don't spend my life behind screens so i always have a hard time knowing what everyone's talking about...

Is the legend of zelda series an adventure game?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I am a bit confused by the term as well....<span id='postcolor'>

Aaaaaah, finally someone that agrees that it's impossible to understand all those terms!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Adventure games are one where you walk a character through a series of quests, adventures and stories. It does seem to be a dying genre. If you want an oldie but a goodie, pick up Fallout/Fallout 2. Neverwinter nights is pretty cool too.

<span id='postcolor'>

So i guess the legend of zelda series are adventure games, if you ask me, those are some of the best games ever. Lots of people think it's made for kids but i can guarantee you that i had lots of fun playing the 2 games for N64 (a lot of different bright colors!!!wink.gif and that adults can play them too.

You'll have to buy a gamecube to play the newest game, a n64, gb, or gba.

Or you can just get the game the naughty way (so you can play it on your pc), i guess yall know what i'm talking about...

No doubt about it, one of the best games if you like that 'style'.

I like to play all kinds of games, basically that's why i enjoy(ed) playing these games too. It takes a rather long time to fully complete it, especially because i don't spend a lot of time behind computers and consoles. But it's fun anyway...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 13 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">preferably something that will let me use my old noodle more.<span id='postcolor'>

I recommend Thief 2: The Metal Age. An oldie but a goodie. Graphics are still decent, and the gameplay is great. It's one of those games where finesse and strategy is rewarded, and going around tryng to kill everything in sight won't get you past the first level. And if you do need to fight, believe me, getting a headshot with a bow and arrow is a lot more challenging and satisfiying than with a rifle smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BaronVonRed @ Dec. 13 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 13 2002,20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Adventure games are one where you walk a character through a series of quests, adventures and stories.  It does seem to be a dying genre.  If you want an oldie but a goodie, pick up Fallout/Fallout 2.  Neverwinter nights is pretty cool too.<span id='postcolor'>

I thought Never Winters Night was a RPG? Is it the same thing?<span id='postcolor'>

Traditionally, adventure games are more like interactive stories where you have to solve puzzles and and collect clues in order to advance. RPG's are more AD&D like, more open ended, focused more on developing your character.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 12 2002,21:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 13 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">preferably something that will let me use my old noodle more.<span id='postcolor'>

I recommend Thief 2: The Metal Age. An oldie but a goodie. Graphics are still decent, and the gameplay is great. It's one of those games where finesse and strategy is rewarded, and going around tryng to kill everything in sight won't get you past the first level. And if you do need to fight, believe me, getting a headshot with a bow and arrow is a lot more challenging and satisfiying than with a rifle smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah the Thief games are pretty cool, i've played them a loooong time ago and they really are nice. Shooting with a bow is pretty fun but it sure is NOT easy. I never figured out how the hell you aim with that thing.

ANd i also never figured out what the green arrows were for...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 13 2002,20:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 13 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">preferably something that will let me use my old noodle more.<span id='postcolor'>

I recommend Thief 2: The Metal Age. An oldie but a goodie. Graphics are still decent, and the gameplay is great. It's one of those games where finesse and strategy is rewarded, and going around tryng to kill everything in sight won't get you past the first level. And if you do need to fight, believe me, getting a headshot with a bow and arrow is a lot more challenging and satisfiying than with a rifle smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I love that game. I recently dug it up out of my old game bin, and re-played it. I can't wait until they (or whoever is doing it now) come out with Thief III.

There was this American McGee's Alice (EA Games) game a year or so back, based on the Q3 engine, and it was pretty cool, played the demo and it was really dark and all. Had a good balance of "action" and adventure. "This is an all new Alice adventure, and can be considered a third chapter in her story. It takes place after Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and although it features many characters and places from those stories, things have definitely taken a turn for the worst in Alice's childhood dreamland..."

And it's rated M for Mature.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah the Thief games are pretty cool, i've played them a loooong time ago and they really are nice.  Shooting with a bow is pretty fun but it sure is NOT easy.  I never figured out how the hell you aim with that thing.

ANd i also never figured out what the green arrows were for...<span id='postcolor'>

Lots of trial and error at first and then later you can usually guestimate the elevation needed to hit smile.gif. Do you mean the moss arrows? You shoot those at metal surfaces so you can walk on them silently

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Dec. 13 2002,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There was this American McGee's Alice (EA Games) game a year or so back, based on the Q3 engine, and it was pretty cool, played the demo and it was really dark and all. Had a good balance of "action" and adventure.  "This is an all new Alice adventure, and can be considered a third chapter in her story. It takes place after Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and although it features many characters and places from those stories, things have definitely taken a turn for the worst in Alice's childhood dreamland..."

And it's rated M for Mature.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I think I heard some thing about this title before, something with to do with Wal-Mart and the 'M' rating. Anything that Wal Mart rejects must be good. I'm going to have to find the demo and check it out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, I love that game. I recently dug it up out of my old game bin, and re-played it. I can't wait until they (or whoever is doing it now) come out with Thief III.

<span id='postcolor'>

Same here biggrin.gif Finished Thief 2 last week. It still rocks.

Adventures:

Grim Fandango

grimfandango04.jpg

Monkey Island series (very funny and weird)

monkey101.jpg

Zac Mc Kracken (very funny and weird)

zak06.jpg

Sam & Max (very funny and weird)

Leisure Suit Larry Part 1 - 6 (very funny and weird)

Day of the tentacle (absolutely mad)

dott03.jpg

The Longest Journey

tlj05.jpg

Phantasmagoria (more movies than adventure but still ok)

Titanic

I started playing adventures with:

Leather godesses of phobos

and

Hitchhikers guide through the galaxy.

both based on Douglas Adams books.

Both were text only, you had no gfx, but very entertaining text.

By now the genre is going through hard times, but I still like to play adventures. Siberia is good and there is another one out right now, but I don´t know the name.

If you want to check reviews on allmost any adventure on this planet check out this page:

http://www.adventure-hall.com/

has anybody played the Lord of the Rings games for PS2? those look kinda cool.

grim fandango for the pc is one and shenmue 1 and 2 for the dreamcast are a couple more smile.gif

There's a sequel to Myst, I think it's called "raven" or "riven" something like that. There may even be a sequel to the sequel. wow.gif

Probably in the bargain bin at your computer store tounge.gif

Baldurs gate 1 + 2 - RPG adventure, good fun.

Jedi knight 2 - Not sure if you can class this as an adventure game, but it is a refreshing change from flashpoint!

The legend of zelda - On the Nintendo 64 but still a fun game to play.

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 12 2002,21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah the Thief games are pretty cool, i've played them a loooong time ago and they really are nice.  Shooting with a bow is pretty fun but it sure is NOT easy.  I never figured out how the hell you aim with that thing.

ANd i also never figured out what the green arrows were for...<span id='postcolor'>

Lots of trial and error at first and then later you can usually guestimate the elevation needed to hit smile.gif. Do you mean the moss arrows? You shoot those at metal surfaces so you can walk on them silently<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah those are the arrows i was talking about! smile.gif

Shooting the bow really isn't easy, especially when you need to hit 2 guards. I was able to shoot pretty accurate but headshots were always rather hard... Too bad i don't have the game anymore...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Dec. 13 2002,05:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">has anybody played the Lord of the Rings games for PS2? those look kinda cool.<span id='postcolor'>

I have tried The Two Towers. Its not too bad except that its very short. You can beat the thing in a day if you were that bored.

Lets see...Heres a few of my favorites.

Nox

ulitma Online (only downfall to that is you have to pay 10 bucks a month. sad.gif )

Jedi Knight II-Jedi Outcast. (very good if you like to solve puzzles and you like star wars)

Thats all i can think of know but hope that helps. xmas.gif

System Shock 2 is also very good.

Engrossing atmosphere (you WILL be paranoid),cool setting,convinces you you're on a spaceship,and a lot of stuff to do (hack,mess with chemicals,etc,etc)

I think that's an adventure,first person,some shooting,rpg stuff too(improving stats).It was made by the same people who made Thief I think...

Monkey Island series rock as well,as does the Broken Sword series.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you want to check reviews on allmost any adventure on this planet check out this page:

http://www.adventure-hall.com/<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, thanks!  That was a great link. Just what I was looking for.

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but it looks like there are quite many Thief fans browsing these forums. Also many Thief fans don't know that they can continue thieving experience by playing dozens of different quality fan missions made by the Thief-community members. Some of these FMs are even better than the original missions. Some info:

http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com Lots of FMs to download provided with some review pics

You need DarkLoader to play fan missions, get it from here, read the instructions carefully: http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/essen.htm

http://www.thief-thecircle.com Many detailed FM reviews and other Thief related stuff

smile.gif