Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Favorite military mottos

In the SAS dislplay room they have loads of guns and stuff they captured and also lot's of slogans, i must remeber to try and get to one of their open days again and see them again.

But anyway a good one is of a bunch of sheep in a field, and the caption says

"Either Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way"

"We gotta end this war, before it ends us"

"No poor sap ever won a war by dying for his country!"

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

"A DEAD MARINE IS A USELESS MARINE!"

"Never leave a man behind"

"Remember, when everyone else is shooting, shoot in the same direction."

"Failure is not an option!"

"Do it right or don't do it at all"

"Like the tornado said to the palm tree, soldier, hang onto your nuts, you're going for a ride."

"Adapt and overcome"

-I've been told that one so many times, don't know where it originated from but it's very true though.

Tyler

"Gör om, gör rätt" ("Do it again, do it right") - the most common phrase used in the Swedish military smile.gif

Okay this isnt a motto but its a quote that was said alot between limeys (i believe british soldiers. Please correct me if im wrong) and US soldiers.

Older British observers complained "The trouble with you Yanks is that you are overpaid, oversexed, and over here"

To which the Yanks would reply

"The trouble with you Limeys is that you are underpaid, undersexed and under Eisenhower."

LOL biggrin.gif

Hope I didnt offend anyone. But its just one of the funniest things ive heard from WWII.

Here's what i made and would stick by.

"you can either die right now like a hero, or you can save yourself to take revenge later."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Dec. 05 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm. favourite quote..hmm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Private Pyle - WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION?!?!<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It's like you read my mind there... smile.gif Although I think I'v seen this on the Simpsons. Or was it "WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR PROBLEM?!?!"

My old favourite quote is "Very well then... chop chop.", not sure where it originates either. confused.gif (Britian for sure though)

All form the movie "major payne"

"1...don't you feel dumb

2...look at you

3...don't you ever go makin' no jokes 'bout me behind my back otherwise I stomp you in the gound"

*approches bullet wounded soldier* "you wan't somthing to take your mind off that pain? give me your hand, now you might feel a bit of pressure" *snaps the soldiers finger sideways and he begins to scream uncontrolably* "Works every time..."

"See now what we have here is a failier to communicate"

"Your still a shit sandwhich, but your not a soggy one. From now on you will no longer be known as turds, You have graduated to MAGGOTS"

Australian Company i forgot who is exactly:

"learn and live"

RAF #322 Squadron:

" Niet praten maar doen (Dutch) " (" Actions not words ")

RAF #1 Squadron (harrier GR7):

"In omnibus princeps" - (" First in all things ") (especially true for this squadron # )

I saw today in the newspaper:

New American military motto: As the USS Harry S. Truman and its battle group left a Virginia port the other day to head for the Persian Gulf, a voice over the ship's loudspeaker said, "Peace on Earth to men of good will. All others stand by."

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

Also, In Full Metal Jacket, the scene in the office of the Sea Tiger (the US Marine newspaper where Joker and Rafterman work) there a sign on the wall that read:

FIRST TO GO, LAST TO KNOW, WE WILL DEFEND TO THE DEATH OUR RIGHT TO BE MISINFORMED.

-=Die Alive=-

NUTS....look it up biggrin.gif

Goes along the same lines as my previously posted one: "Molon Labe"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Dec. 09 2002,22:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">NUTS....look it up biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't have to, though my recollections are a bit fuzzy.

Was it the Battle of the Bulge and the US general sent that back to the Germans in response to their generous offer to allow a US surrender?

This will answer your question

"Nuts!"

General Anthony McAuliffe in Bastogne

Some of my favorites

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? [Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983]

Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you! [Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC; rallying his First Marine Regiment near Chosin Reservoir, Korea, December 1950]

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold. [1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC; in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918]

You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me! [Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943]

Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever. [the mythical GySgt. Hartman, USMC; portrayed by GySgt. R. Lee Ermey, a Marine Corps Drill Instructor using his own choice of words in Full Metal Jacket, 1987]

Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever? [GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-`le-Bocage as he led the 5th Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake." [Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991]

"Semper Fi"

"Semper Gumby"

"A Few Good Men"

Capt. William Jones, USMC

"Good night, Chesty, wherever you are"

"Gung-Ho"

Chinese for Working Together decribing the USMC in the Korean War

"Once a Marine, Always a Marine"

MSgt. Paul Woyshner, USMC

"First to Fight"

Term to describe the USMC during WWI by the media

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Anyone can just go in there and kill someone, but you can't get information from a corpse."

Seal Moto

"Elite of the Elite"

2nd Force Recon (USMC)

"Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks."

Col. William O. Darby

"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."

Col. Charlie Beckwith, founder of Delta Force

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."

Chesty Puller, USMC Go Chesty!!!!

"Yo vine de cocinero" - Unknown surrendering invader at the Bay of Pigs ("I just came as a cook")

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Yo vine de cocinero" - Unknown surrendering invader at the Bay of Pigs ("I just came as a cook")<span id='postcolor'>

LMAO!! good one!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Dec. 09 2002,22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Yo vine de cocinero" - Unknown surrendering invader at the Bay of Pigs ("I just came as a cook")<span id='postcolor'>

LMAO!! good one!!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif. It's become the motto of the invaders - at least to the Cuban defenders that is. There was a  folk song made about it by a band called Cubanueva. I can't find any of their music, or even the title of the song though sad.gif (might be "Girón en my memoria").

Found the link to the story behind it and the lyrics here though. (in Spanish)

"Nekto Krome Nas!"

=

"Nobody But Us!"

Russian Paratroopers - Desantniyi Voiska