Sign in to follow this  
Tex -USMC-

Gamers today

I just noticed something I havent paid much attention to before on Gamespy's website. They have live stats of how many people are playing which games. Well, here you go:

Top Game Servers By Players

Half Life

25238 servers, 68524 players

Starfleet Command III (Dynaverse)

16 servers, 4883 players

Medal of Honor Allied Assault

1555 servers, 4667 players

Quake 3: Arena

2982 servers, 3855 players

Americas Army: Operations

486 servers, 3625 players

Battlefield 1942

915 servers, 3555 players

Unreal Tournament 2003

2288 servers, 3359 players

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

1127 servers, 3032 players

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead

449 servers, 2644 players

Unreal Tournament

2851 servers, 2417 players

----------------------------------------

That's right. Out of the ten most popular games, 9 are first-person shooters. Hell, I mean Unreal Tournament (NOT 2K3) has over 2000 players on right now! I can barely tell a difference between Wolfenstien and Medal of Honor, and find neither to be that much fun, and yet there are about 10,000 people total playing them. In fact, there's not a whole lot of difference between all of these games, and yet they are the most popular games out there right now. I can pick between over 10,000 Counter-Strike (Over 3 years old) servers, but I am lucky to get together a 5 on 5 in my squad's own OFP server.

I guess what I'm trying to say in this rant is, do we really represent the true interests and enjoyments of the hardcore gaming community, or are we just a splinter group who will dwindle away, along with the games we like to play (OFP, for instance).

We're a splinter Tex and do not represent mainstream. Hell, most people I know transfered from Delta Force to OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eh remraf @ Nov. 29 2002,10:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hell, most people I know transfered from Delta Force to OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

*raises hand*

operation flashpoint isnt that well advertised if you ask me. if they had better advertising when ofp came out it'd probably be pretty popular. there might even be some hope for it if they did a desent amount of advertising.

but remember, a game being popular isnt always a good thing. look at day of defeat for example. the forums are flooded with rants and arguments, people trying to get their little suggestions into the game, it's pitiful. i dont want to see operation flashpoint like that.

i think the reason why OFP is not as popular on gamespy is because

1.not advertised well

2.damn harder than other games

1.it's of no question that CM did not do proper advertisement scheme. I only found OFP when it was on shelves.

2.although GR have similar traits, OFP is more of hardcore. we have wider operation area, and that means you can get your ass kicked from somewhere you don't see. how would you feel if you were trying this out for the first time and then get shot from somewhere you didn't see. it would upset you quite well. and many FPS fans thesesday do not appreciate that point. they want brainless entertainment, not some tactical open area environment.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Nov. 29 2002,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think the reason why OFP is not as popular on gamespy is because

1.not advertised well

2.damn harder than other games

1.it's of no question that CM did not do proper advertisement scheme. I only found OFP when it was on shelves.

2.although GR have similar traits, OFP is more of hardcore. we have wider operation area, and that means you can get your ass kicked from somewhere you don't see. how would you feel if you were trying this out for the first time and then get shot from somewhere you didn't see. it would upset you quite well. and many FPS fans thesesday do not appreciate that point. they want brainless entertainment, not some tactical open area environment.<span id='postcolor'>

Tribes 2 accomplishes that rather well. you never know when some camper will plug ya while you wait on the Vpad to get a shrike. or ski over a hill to be welcomed by a big green boomi from a heavy biggrin.gif god i loved that game. but the Lan system that my PC is on w/ 2 other PCS is down leaving only 1 that belongs to my dad connected. and the best part of Tribes 2 is that you can have 60 people on at a time, w/ a 56k and it'll play 9 times better than playing MOHAA w/ only 6 or 8 people online on the peice -O-shit gamespy servers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think the reason why OFP is not as popular on gamespy is because

1.not advertised well<span id='postcolor'>

Im sure you know how many copies ofp sold? yes over 1 000 000 (1 million!!wink.gif witch is kind of much if you ask me... smile.gif

So the main problem in my opinion wasnt advertisment (since so many brought it) but that most ppl found the game too hard, full of bugs, and just boring (in mp) wow.gif

I have a clan for Bf1942 and all of them had ofp but none of them (except) me plays it... for the reasons stated above

Whit all that said, i agree that cm did a poor job whit the advertisment

EDIT: made ur number slightly more readable smile.gif

To play OFP at a modest rate of succes i had to learn how to read the map and to navigate, to not try and be rambo about it and mosts of all PATIENCE. It think the last two scare people off. BTW try OFP tactics in CS and you will be called a camper (and worse tounge.gif ) while in the end its just sane and sound tactics of not running suicidally at your enemy but first waiting for them to fuck up and if they dont you can always still go in. Oh well smile.gif Besides i cant say i have seen a nicer more mature gaming community then OFP's which i think wouldnt have been possible if OFP would have become as popular as CS.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Nov. 29 2002,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2.damn harder than other games

2.although GR have similar traits, OFP is more of hardcore. we have wider operation area, and that means you can get your ass kicked from somewhere you don't see. how would you feel if you were trying this out for the first time and then get shot from somewhere you didn't see. it would upset you quite well. and many FPS fans thesesday do not appreciate that point. they want brainless entertainment, not some tactical open area environment.<span id='postcolor'>

Totally agree :

MP in OFP is not for OFP rookies. I played few days ago and it was games full of frindly-fire.

Every mission I played was similar to other 3D shooters MP missions. In many case there was all equipment available for each side. So only way how to recognize enemy was uniform and side he faced.

It was totaly different experience on playing OFP LAN games with friends. In LAN games there, obviously, leader leads his soldiers but in internet game everybody just run for best equipment a run against enemy even in coop missions.

Best games I played was with some clan players. They have some tactic so it's easy to join them. In organized group you just must check your sector because other sectors are covered by another squad members. It's too difficult to play as lone wolf where you must look around whole time and when you spot someone decide if he is friend or foe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 29 2002,06:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">operation flashpoint isnt that well advertised if you ask me.  <span id='postcolor'>

Exactly. If a frend of mine hadn't pointed to the box last september while we were in EB and said "hey that looks interesting" I probably would never have heard of OFP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 29 2002,14:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 29 2002,06wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">operation flashpoint isnt that well advertised if you ask me.  <span id='postcolor'>

Exactly. If a frend of mine hadn't pointed to the box last september while we were in EB and said "hey that looks interesting" I probably would never have heard of OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

well i knew about ofp before and always paid extra attention to it when it was mentioned in magazines. smile.gif

it'wasn't advertising what i've seen in the magazines, it were rather small articles and one or two screenshots.

but i always wanted to play it and finaly had my hands on the demo one day. biggrin.gif

The first I saw or heard of OFP was as a demo on a CD that came with a gaming mag I often buy.

I had a very slow PC back then, so the demo ran like crap...it was only when I ran the demo on a friends (faster) PC that I became hooked...

A few weeks after that, I actually saw it (and another Codemaster's game, can't remember which one) advertised at the cinema before a movie! tounge.gifwow.gif

I think one of the reasons that he game isnt well marketed is because its not american in decent is it? If it were a american company it would get more to the mainstream american gamers, instead of us the minority!

Kevin

I heard about OFP about a couple months before the demo came out. I think Avon Lady posted about it at dfworld forums or something.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hell, most people I know transfered from Delta Force to OFP. <span id='postcolor'>

*raises hand too*

I got OFP for the reasons that I got DF 1 and 2. I liked the wide open spaces and 'realistic' combat. I'm glad I got into OFP over a year ago, it's 100 times better.

I picked up OFP because I'd played the DF games and found them..well... lacking.

One day at Future Shop with money burning a hole in my pocket, I grabbed the only game that looked cool from the horde of other boxes. And I generally dont post of forums.. but I came here to find tech support (where the hell is the damn CD Key?!?!?! biggrin.gif) and I stayed. smile.gif

OFP is definately a niche product. It would be really nice to have a fanbase like CS, but the fact of the matter is this game requires a different sort of player than the hordes of '1337 h@xorz' that play games like CS.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supah @ Nov. 29 2002,14:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To play OFP at a modest rate of succes i had to learn how to read the map and to navigate, to not try and be rambo about it and mosts of all PATIENCE. It think the last two scare people off. BTW try OFP tactics in CS and you will be called a camper (and worse tounge.gif ) while in the end its just sane and sound tactics of not running suicidally at your enemy but first waiting for them to fuck up and if they dont you can always still go in. Oh well smile.gif Besides i cant say i have seen a nicer more mature gaming community then OFP's which i think wouldnt have been possible if OFP would have become as popular as CS.<span id='postcolor'>

Mind you, jumping around the corner and getting a headshot with an AWP requires slightly different skills than OFP

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 29 2002,08:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 29 2002,06wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">operation flashpoint isnt that well advertised if you ask me. <span id='postcolor'>

Exactly. If a frend of mine hadn't pointed to the box last september while we were in EB and said "hey that looks interesting" I probably would never have heard of OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I think so as well. I only tried the OFP after my buddy forced me to. <!--emo&wink.gif I had really bad impression at first because i was using 16bit, and improper vid. card driver. All shapes were messed up. (then a day later, a different story biggrin.gif )

I had never heard of OFP before that, despite the fact that I had some future plans to get a project like that off the ground...

But what do you expect, a small company in Republica Czeska puts in a huge effort into a revolutionary game engine, what do Americans really care about that? Well American companies would just love to eliminate the competition through advertizing and hype. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 29 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what do you expect, a small company in Czechoslovakia puts in a huge effort into a revolutionary game engine, what do Americans really care about that? Well American companies would just love to eliminate the competition through advertizing and hype.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, not in Czechoslovakia but in Czech Republic (or Czechia).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bart.Jan @ Nov. 29 2002,14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 29 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what do you expect, a small company in Czechoslovakia puts in a huge effort into a revolutionary game engine, what do Americans really care about that? Well American companies would just love to eliminate the competition through advertizing and hype. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, not in Czechoslovakia but in Czech Republic (or Czechia).<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, when exactly did it officially become the Czech Republic? They began working of VBS1 in 1996 or something. confused.gif

Maybe OFP is just a money spinner while VBS is the real goal wow.gif

I hearrd of it from a couple of gaming mags the got the demo cd as soon as i could.

I thought the ability to use vehicles in multiplayer(aparrt form tribes 2) would of made it more interesting in multiplayer but i guess im wrong confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 29 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had really bad impression at first because i was using 16bit, and improper vid. card driver.  All shapes were messed up.  (then a day later, a different story  biggrin.gif )<span id='postcolor'>

lol me too. I didn't have a video card when I got the game, I was playing off my onboard graphics adapter...the ground textures didn't work so I actually thought at first that the game took place during winter since the ground was completely white, and then I wondered about the lack of winter camo tounge.gif. It was also a very common ocurrence to confuse bushes for tanks from a distance biggrin.gif. Then I got a Radeon 7500 and everything changed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 29 2002,20:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bart.Jan @ Nov. 29 2002,14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 29 2002,20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what do you expect, a small company in Czechoslovakia puts in a huge effort into a revolutionary game engine, what do Americans really care about that? Well American companies would just love to eliminate the competition through advertizing and hype.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, not in Czechoslovakia but in Czech Republic (or Czechia).<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, when exactly did it officially become the Czech Republic?  They began working of VBS1 in 1996 or something.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It's from 1.1. 1993. Our country has several different names from 1989, but I don't know english translates of its names. tounge.gif

I actually propagandasized one Yugoslavian guy in my old sqdrn to get it, he used to be delta force. He honestly didn't believe me when I told him how big the maps were, and when he got the game thats all he ever played when he wasn't at school or sleeping. I'm actually kind of surprised hes not a member of this forum, unless he just registered and then never posted.

I hope when they make OFP2 (Or release VBS to the public), it is well advertised. This game is truly a goldmine, it sucks that a lot of people don't play MP. We need a bigger crowd!