Sign in to follow this  
oldmanfromtea

Losing audience?

i remember back to way back when opf came out and i would go to gamespy and try to connect to a game, then i moved to all seeing eye. I stopped playing for a while and now i reinstall and go to the all seeing eye and almost no one is there, in gamespy there are only about 200 people playing, is it just me that ofp has not enough players playing or am i looking i the wrong place?

It's more depending on what time you are checking. I've woke up early on Friday morning, and the first thing I did was look for a MP game and had a hard time finding one with more than 6 ppl. But then later at night, around 9PM, there were many many more ppl, at least 350 if not more. If I see nobody is online when I want to play, I'll play a SP mission and check back later, or do some mission editing.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (oldmanfromtea @ Nov. 25 2002,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i remember back to way back when opf came out and i would go to gamespy and try to connect to a game, then i moved to all seeing eye. I stopped playing for a while and now i reinstall and go to the all seeing eye and almost no one is there, in gamespy there are only about 200 people playing, is it just me that ofp has not enough players playing or am i looking i the wrong place?<span id='postcolor'>

Well you have to remeber that the game is over a year old. Im not saying that its a bad game because its a year old. Far from it, its just people like to go along with new things, even if that new thing is crap biggrin.gif. Oh yeah and compared with BF1942, flashpoint is a pretty hardcore game. Most people prefer to run around with 15 guns on their back killing as many aliens/terrorists/nazis/mad scientists/communists as they can. This is of course the case in ofp tounge.gif but at least MOST people do it with a team effort using proper tactics. This, sadly, is what drives them away

Hopefully with the GOTY edition of the game some more people will buy the game and start playing the game online(some more asskicking for us).

All games have their highs and their lows and sadly flashpoints age and hardcore experiance is the only thing that is affecting its multiplayer value...

Fact is, that the "playing community" is thining out. Its hard to find any good games anywhere, no matter what time. Im seeing squads take on other games, regular dedicated servers arent there no more. Is there a reason why?? I geuss thats left to the eye of the beholder (in this case, player of the game)

confused.gif

It's not OFP Being unpopualr, it's just that a lot of people don't play MP. And a lot of others just do LAN's. For public MP, now that Stoner's in temprarily down a lot of players have to go to other servers. (MGA) Is pretty nice so is SAS. Just search around and you'll find games with plenty of people. Also play at night. Like after 8pm CST, then there are a lot of people.

I think 1 of the reasons the player count is low. IMO is because you have to wait to join a game in progress. Now if they were to make this a server option. I think alot more would be playing this game...once again IMO....Thats what turns me away, so I end up messing with the editor or playing LAN and SP...No Online sad.gif

To add another thing. This type of option wouldn't make it unrealistic at all. It is not like in a real war we tell are Allies, "Nope you can help us out, we are in the middle of a war."...."Maybe in a few minutes the battle will be over, then maybe you can join"...

its just ofp lacks the mp side of things to make it big, im not sayin mps bad its very good just lacks things to make ppl want to play it, games like bf42 get big cos mp, i also play rtcw its been out a year now to and still is played alot, but what ofp lacked was the big MP thing that would make it huge where uld have clan/squad competitions etc. I still play ofp as much as ever when i get out of linux but have gone off mp due to the maps u have to play sumtimes and the waits for them, and ive meet sum unfavable ppl sum one stole my target face and uses it even with my initals still on the back.

I agree that the only thing keeping OFP from being absolutely HUGE is the MP aspect. People would rather jump into Day of Defeat or Bf1942 than wait 20 mins for a Flashpoint server to start a new map. For me the holy grail of gaming would be something with OFP's gameplay and WWII Online's Multiplay *hint to BIS* smile.gif

well i play counter-strike too and it has it has alot of players, more than any other game i know of and its like 4 years old, but the whole game in progress things makes me want to leave too and then i think about whats ganna happen when im in game (it keeps me going strong). still like you said that one day there are 6 people and another there are 300, well it use to be like 800 and my opinion way back in my head is the in game browser.

now im into raven shield but i feel sad, ofp is such a great game, i use to sit there and make scripts and try them out all day long and now there are no more people to play with.

btw, i saw a thread about ofp2, will there really be a sequel to opf?

I think BIS should stick to making great games, and hire someone else to come in and do the netcode- either that or they need to figure out how to do it right asap, because that is one OFP's biggest stumbling blocks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Nov. 26 2002,05:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think BIS should stick to making great games, and hire someone else to come in and do the netcode- either that or they need to figure out how to do it right asap, because that is one OFP's biggest stumbling blocks<span id='postcolor'>

Notin is wrong with the netcode they just need join in progress now. biggrin.gif

I played on Japanese server (I live in Finland) with 360 ping, 16 players in a coop mission with massive loads of AI enemies, still I experienced very little lag and it was perfectly playable.

On our own squad server we can take about 30 players easily.

Nothing wrong with the netcode today, it's very very good.

Join in progress would be nice addition of course smile.gif

I still play OFP alot, and I've had this game for more than a year. That's saying alot.

OFP has outlasted most FPS games I've had like MOH:AH, Hitman 2, and IGI. In part because BIS has been making constant patches and mods to the game, and because the game itself is so unique. Even when I get Raven Shield, I bet I'll still be playing OFP.

Do I play MP? No. As others have said, the lack of a join in progress feature keeps me, and others away from the game. This isn't the main reason I don't play MP, I don't play it because I can't get it to work. The Avon Lady and Mr. Frag have helped me out, but I can't get it working. It hasn't been functioning for me since I got Resistance.

Oh well.

Tyler

Just to repeat what has been answered maaaaaany times to JIP requests :

JIP cannot be implemented in OFP without a complete rework, not only of the netcode, but of the entire code. JIP is not compatible with many features of OFP (like scripts), and so, won't be done.

It is not a question of wish, realism, or whatever, it is a technical issue.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Nov. 26 2002,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and so, won't be done.<span id='postcolor'>

Famous last words of many software companies smile.gif. BIS is reportedly working on a sequel to OFP, in that case, it would be worthwhile for them to completely rework the code to provide JIP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 26 2002,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Nov. 26 2002,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and so, won't be done.<span id='postcolor'>

Famous last words of many software companies smile.gif. BIS is reportedly working on a sequel to OFP, in that case, it would be worthwhile for them to completely rework the code to provide JIP.<span id='postcolor'>

Read his post, its not the netcode, is the entire code smile.gif

To be honest, I'd rather keep the scripts and pass up on Join In Progress than the other way around.

Unless they can figure out a way to have both wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Nov. 26 2002,15:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 26 2002,15:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Nov. 26 2002,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and so, won't be done.<span id='postcolor'>

<snip>

completely rework the code to provide JIP.<span id='postcolor'>

Read his post, its not the netcode, is the entire code smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I did smile.gif. and I still say it would be worthwile (I know, easy for me to say, I'm not coding it tounge.gif)

JIP would only work with CTF or deathmatch games as the whole point of a coop is limited forces and a plan right from the start. I presume yall talking about CTF right??? tounge.gif

Sorry, i love my coops wink.gif

And in a way i think JIP wasnt done for CTF because even though its CTF or deathmatch its still OFP - the game that gave you a thousand ways of doing something tounge.gif

So i guess they originally thought that EVERYONE would plan a ctf in advance. Obviously that is not the case, with many people using as much hardware as possible to base rape their enemy in the first few minutes, leaveing them nearly defenceless, and the enemy gets so angry they somehow find a way to destroy all your hardware and eventually it becomes a game of cat and mouse, spawn killing oh and the occasional flag capturing, which is usally one sided.

Ahhhh.... if only we had JIP we could play some proper CTF tounge.gifwink.gif:P

I agree. JIP is the main problem. If you ever actually manage to find a game online, it seems to work ok after that.

But I have to say that certain users adon't exactly have their heads screwed on right. I joined a game where they were trying to play a mission that required several megs of addon downloads (probably 10 versions of the AK47 in flourescent colors). That might be fine on a LAN, but over their slow internet connection it was taking an hour for us to download. Everyone just gave up and left eventually, including me. What are server admins who do things like this thinking!?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadeater @ Nov. 26 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I agree. JIP is the main problem. If you ever actually manage to find a game online, it seems to work ok after that.

But I have to say that certain users adon't exactly have their heads screwed on right. I joined a game where they were trying to play a mission that required several megs of addon downloads (probably 10 versions of the AK47 in flourescent colors). That might be fine on a LAN, but over their slow internet connection it was taking an hour for us to download. Everyone just gave up and left eventually, including me. What are server admins who do things like this thinking!?<span id='postcolor'>

Heh the ak in colours. Thats a riot i got to get that biggrin.gif

Anyway i know what you mean about having to get loads of downloads for one mission. This must be solved one way or another. Perhaps a filter that says 'filter out any servers requiring addons' or something like that wink.gif

Tell me do you find it hard to find a server??? because im usually spoilt for choice tounge.gif

I can usually find just about any game I want

Well if the community does fade.. it will be brought back up with Independence Lost. So... Ya... See you guys then.. biggrin.gif

J/K... Ill be around..

i dont see sp community fading really theres addons at that awsome mission maker, but as ppl have said JIP hold bak the mp potential, look at CTI and RTS3 these are concepts that get close to wat ofp should be, but the time it takes to play them puts everyone off, players drop players join and they dont want to wait 70mins sum do like me tounge.gif. And theres sum real same old same old mp maps where both sides have g36s its CTF (another name for team death match). Alot ,of crap games were really great mp like deltaforce i luved its mp tounge.gif.

i think if the game server is playing a coop map, everyone waiting can like watch them or play a mini deathmatch game or drive around in cars somewheres else

the best netcode outhere for anygame would have to be tribes 2

I dunno about you but when I play I always see at least 4 servers with more than 15 ppl in it. OFP will never die or loose popularity until a better game comes up (OFP 2 ??). As far as games like RavenShiled and CS - what a bullcrap. You dont even have a right to compare OFP with those stupid games.