Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

i want individualized vehicles, as in an mv22 osprey should 2 engine damage, if an engine is shot it shouldnt mean both go.... etc

Just a reminder. If you want an opinion on your wishes, this is the thread. If you want to post them, go to the one that says NO DISCUSSION. Then you can quote your wish here, just to make it neater and easier for the rest of us.

Why do so many people want the Canadian Army? I'd much rather see atleast one of the Principality of Sealand's special forces regiments.

No, but seriously, I'd like to see a more varied BLUFOR side rather then the generic USA with fictionalised allied belligerents (although not one from the other side of the world, when they would have to deal with their own problems or be needed to reinforce the main clashes like in WW1)

Edited by Paronomasia12

Why do so many people want the Canadian Army? I'd much rather see atleast one of the Principality of Sealand's special forces regiments.

No, but seriously, I'd like to see a more varied BLUFOR side rather then the generic USA with fictionalised allied belligerents (although not one from the other side of the world, when they would have to deal with their own problems or be needed to reinforce the main clashes like in WW1)

Right, because the Principality of Sealand would be more involved than Canada? OKAY.... And what special forces? Sorry, but Canada (and other nations apart of the commonwealth) would be much more involved than an island who doesn't even mention a military on their official website. I've got no problem with them being included in an addon, but when the story revolves around a possible Third World War, then it's going to be the major military nations that fight it. So, if a future DLC shows the war in Europe or something, and BIS adds more factions, then it'd be the UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia, maybe Russia or China if they aren't already included in vanilla ArmA3. Nations like Mexico or Venezuela, or even Pakistan would be considered before the Principality of Sealand. Yes, it's nice for the often ignored nations to be recognized by at least one developer since they never get the spotlight in other games, but it has to fit the story. And Sealand doesn't. Plus, you have to consider that the story is NATO vs. Iran +/- China, so of course BIS should consider members of NATO before other countries.

Right, because the Principality of Sealand would be more involved than Canada? OKAY.... And what special forces? Sorry, but Canada (and other nations apart of the commonwealth) would be much more involved than an island who doesn't even mention a military on their official website. I've got no problem with them being included in an addon, but when the story revolves around a possible Third World War, then it's going to be the major military nations that fight it. So, if a future DLC shows the war in Europe or something, and BIS adds more factions, then it'd be the UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia, maybe Russia or China if they aren't already included in vanilla ArmA3. Nations like Mexico or Venezuela, or even Pakistan would be considered before the Principality of Sealand. Yes, it's nice for the often ignored nations to be recognized by at least one developer since they never get the spotlight in other games, but it has to fit the story. And Sealand doesn't. Plus, you have to consider that the story is NATO vs. Iran +/- China, so of course BIS should consider members of NATO before other countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Clue:

No, but seriously, ...

Emphasis mine.

lol. But, commenting on the other side of the world/reinforce main conflicts like in WW1 comment, I would bet that it would play out more like WW2 than WW1. The U.S. would be involved from the onset of the war unlike WW1 and WW2, in which the U.S. was pursuing isolationist policies. Pretty much any NATO member would participate from the start of the war. They have become so globally active (look at Afghanistan). Especially in a conflict where NATO as a whole is one of the belligerents, Canada and the U.S., even though they are on the other side of the world, would immediately join in. I would like for BIS to go ahead and include forces from other nations though, even though they won't be in the campaign. It would give mission editors more options and freedom. U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Canada, Australia, Greece, Spain and Italy (maybe), Russia, China (if they're not already in there). As I said in my previous post, these countries would be good for DLC (yes, it's early to be talking about DLC, but why not? It's WW3, no doubt at least ONE expansion pack will deal with the war).

I'm willing to bet that some other forces will be included, just like in Arma2, but not with a huge amount of variety. Creating content is a lot of work, so like you say it could be good for DLC.

I wonder how well the DLC model they used in Arma2 ("lite" versions etc.) worked out for them, and whether they will be doing the same in Arma3.

Morale would be an interesting game concept to have in-game. There's no doubt that it has been a huge factor in every war in history so it would be a reasonable addition to arma. It would allow you to essentially scare units off objectives, and would reduce the amount of kills you get in a sitting – which may be a con for others but is a good thing in my opinion – because half the enemy will surrender or run away before you can shoot them, assuming of course that the ai actually knows how to use cover. Also on the larger scale games, it would add a whole new dimension to strategy. This is assuming that enemy ai have the mentioned commanding abilities however. You would be able to pull off realistic tactics like the blitzkrieg – hit em hard and fast with the tanks before they can effectively form a defence and use the infantry to clean up the unorganized and demotivated remainders. The more I think about this the more I think of it as a must have in arma... but players wouldn't really be able to realize its full potential unless they were playing platoon+ sized scenarios. In my opinion there is still much that needs to be worked on at the squad level (suppresion and ai cover usage) and that bi should work on making these things much better before they try to get into the bigger stuff. That being said, it might be nice if bi could set up a frame work for a morale system so eager modders can create a morale system.

Never the less, to add to your morale system I think that known enemy to friendly ratio would need to be taken into account when calculating a units morale. Also, the general training, and base motivation of units would need to be taken into account. Ie. A villager defending his home town would have better moral than lets say a conscript fighting over seas.

It is a very attractive feature but right now I think the focus should be on fixing up squad sized engagement. Like mentioned before, introducing these more complex ideas before the ai knows the basics may make things worse. When bi gets to the larger scale stuff Morale will be a must however. Another thing that is a must in the larger scale engagements would be logistics.

When I use the surrender module in the editor, it often seems units are more likely to surrender after their leader is dead or more units are dead, so there's a minor bit of concept in the game already :)

A better soundtrack... Ondrej Matejka's music is alright, but it's not the best by far. Have a soundtrack that's on the quality of work by composers like Hans Zimmer, or Ramin Djawadi, or Harry Gregson Williams. Of course this is second to actual gameplay-related matters...

I DISAGREE with this post! The Soundtracks from Ondrej Matejka are one of the best I have ever heard and they fit exactly on the game style! I have so many great memories from them and even now he has genious tracks. Yes, Zimmer is very well known and etc. but he is composer for commersial games with oversized budget (money - key for everything, blah) and with overstate action (and where you are Rambo). I like the game because it's UNIQUE and the Ondrejs music make it even more. I don't think that the game need other composer, because: this year - commersial soundtrack, next year - commersial game (lol, was there any difference between MW2 and Crysis2 soundtrack!?), and this magic... this absolute genious game serie will be lost in the tons of identical games.

P.S. Sorry for my English, If I had to speak on my language, I would express more emotions, but... it's hard to tell what you think in other language.

Edited by Antrix

I DISAGREE with this post! The Soundtracks from Ondrej Matejka are one of the best I have ever heard and they fit exactly on the game style! I have so many great memories from them and even now he has genious tracks. Yes, Zimmer is very well known and etc. but he is composer for commersial games with oversized budget (money - key for everything, blah) and with overstate action (and where you are Rambo). I like the game because it's UNIQUE and the Ondrejs music make it even more. I don't think that the game need other composer, because: this year - commersial soundtrack, next year - commersial game (lol, was there any difference between MW2 and Crysis2 soundtrack!?), and this magic... this absolute genious game serie will be lost in the tons of identical games.

P.S. Sorry for my English, If I had to speak on my language, I would express more emotions, but... it's hard to tell what you think in other language.

Here we go again... another person who doesn't like an improvement because it's associated with another game. Since when does the quality of the so-called hollywood game translate to the quality of a composer's music? Hans Zimmer is well known BECAUSE he is very good. So what if he's done Dark Knight, Inception, Modern Warfare 2, etc. He was asked to do the music for those projects because he is one of the best. By the way, soundtracks that are released to the public for them to BUY are commercial.

And you want the music and/or composer to stay the same because it's UNIQUE? There's one thing to be different and be the best. It's another thing to be different JUST to be different. I didn't say that I wanted a new composer. I'd like for Matejka to IMPROVE the quality of his soundtracks. As in maybe using a symphony or something. And he could maybe collaborate with another composer, as many composers do. I'm guessing you haven't heard many soundtracks, then? Ever played anything other than ArmA? Because Matejka is good, but isn't the best, otherwise he'd have other projects and would have been recognized by many others. The reason composers like Zimmer, or Harry Gregson Williams, or Djawadi produce soundtracks for multiple projects is because they are some of the best, hence why movie and game projects choose them to do their soundtracks. There's nothing wrong with wanting a composer to do better than what he's doing. And, if he does improve, he might get the opportunity to take on more projects than just ArmA. If Matejka was asked to do the soundtrack for a COD game, and he accepted, would you automatically say that he's not a good composer and that ArmA should choose another because now Matejka is associated with a "hollywood" game? That's pretty faulty logic. So, I'll say it bluntly. There ARE better composers than Matejka. But I'd prefer that Matejka improve the quality of his soundtracks. Not only that, but incorporate a main theme music that recurs throughout the tracks.

incorporate a main theme music that recurs throughout the tracks.

That's one thing I agree on. A recognizable theme that permeates most of the music tracks in some way would give the game a certain "character".

Hehe, it's ok man. The music in the Crysis 2 trailers was pretty nice, but the overall game felt bland to me.

As you said, Odrej's music fits the ArmA series good enough. What I would like for the ArmA 3 soundtrack is darker tones, something that fits the WW3 scenario. The atmosphere set by "Wasteland" or " Defcon" in EW was great.

Edited by Maio
The british are comming!

Here we go again... another person who doesn't like an improvement because it's associated with another game. Since when does the quality of the so-called hollywood game translate to the quality of a composer's music? Hans Zimmer is well known BECAUSE he is very good. So what if he's done Dark Knight, Inception, Modern Warfare 2, etc. He was asked to do the music for those projects because he is one of the best. By the way, soundtracks that are released to the public for them to BUY are commercial.

And you want the music and/or composer to stay the same because it's UNIQUE? There's one thing to be different and be the best. It's another thing to be different JUST to be different. I didn't say that I wanted a new composer. I'd like for Matejka to IMPROVE the quality of his soundtracks. As in maybe using a symphony or something. And he could maybe collaborate with another composer, as many composers do. I'm guessing you haven't heard many soundtracks, then? Ever played anything other than ArmA? Because Matejka is good, but isn't the best, otherwise he'd have other projects and would have been recognized by many others. The reason composers like Zimmer, or Harry Gregson Williams, or Djawadi produce soundtracks for multiple projects is because they are some of the best, hence why movie and game projects choose them to do their soundtracks. There's nothing wrong with wanting a composer to do better than what he's doing. And, if he does improve, he might get the opportunity to take on more projects than just ArmA. If Matejka was asked to do the soundtrack for a COD game, and he accepted, would you automatically say that he's not a good composer and that ArmA should choose another because now Matejka is associated with a "hollywood" game? That's pretty faulty logic. So, I'll say it bluntly. There ARE better composers than Matejka. But I'd prefer that Matejka improve the quality of his soundtracks. Not only that, but incorporate a main theme music that recurs throughout the tracks.

I wanted to say that this game don't need other composer... Hans Zimmer is not the man for this project. I don't think that every game have to have H.Z. for main or co composer because he is the best, stupid idea. When the best retreat from this job what would we do, if we give chance only to them? But yes... everyman have to do his best to be the best, and I'm sure that Matejka can do it. By the way.,.. the idea for symphony is great, it would be like Jesper Kyd soundtracks. (Yes, he isn't the only guy who use symphony for soundtracks, but... make them incomparable!)

On the question about "hollywood" games... man the music in them is so identical!

And yes.. I have played lots of games, but the problem is that not many (because hollywood babeeee make almost every game) has soundtrack that can impress me. Yes, Zimmer is great, I like him... but this task, is not for him!

P.S. In my country "commercial" has also other apprehension for the word, strange... isn't it. :)

Edited by Antrix

I wanted to say that this game don't need other composer... Hans Zimmer is not the man for this project. I don't think that every game have to have H.Z. for main or co composer because he is the best, stupid idea. When the best retreat from this job what would we do, if we give chance only to them? But yes... everyman have to do his best to be the best, and I'm sure that Matejka can do it. By the way.,.. the idea for symphony is great, it would be like Jesper Kyd soundtracks. (Yes, he isn't the only guy who use symphony for soundtracks, but... make them incomparable!)

On the question about "hollywood" games... man the music in them is so identical!

And yes.. I have played lots of games, but the problem is that not many (because hollywood babeeee make almost every game) has soundtrack that can impress me. Yes, Zimmer is great, I like him... but this task, is not for him!

P.S. In my country "commercial" has also other apprehension for the word, strange... isn't it. :)

"Hollywood" music does not all sound the same. And I mentioned more than just Hans Zimmer. The point is that Zimmer does symphony music. It sounds authentic, not like it's a synthesizer. Get real people playing the music, and it'll sound a whole lot better. Don't know what games you play that the music doesn't impress. I'm mainly talking about shooters, as in Medal of Honor (ALL of them, Michael Giacchino is a beast), COD (Harry Gregson Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Brian Tyler are all good), Christopher Lennertz (MOH European Assault), etc. COD may be arcade, but it has always had a good soundtrack. MOH best game soundtracks EVER. All of them do symphony or orchestra. That's my main point. Synthesizers or synthesizer-sounding music is not the best. Yes, some can get away with it, but it just doesn't sound that great. Live instruments are better than synthesizers.

Edited by antoineflemming

"Hollywood" music does not all sound the same. And I mentioned more than just Hans Zimmer. The point is that Zimmer does symphony music. It sounds authentic, not like it's a synthesizer. Get real people playing the music, and it'll sound a whole lot better.

Unfortunately, the cost of producing it would also increase significantly.

I'm afraid you'll only find that kind of music in big budget productions by studios/publishers that can afford it. For now, I would be satisfied if Matjelka put a bit more effort into weaving a central theme through the soundtrack and perhaps mastering it a little better. Digitally created music can actually be made to sound pretty good.

As in maybe using a symphony or something.

Probably the first sensible thing you have ever posted. Like MDX mentions, however, orchestras don't come cheap, but the difference between computer generated and real orchestral music is several football fields.

MOH best game soundtracks EVER.

This however, is utter bullshite. I ran out of digits thinking of better soundtracks.

Probably the first sensible thing you have ever posted. Like MDX mentions, however, orchestras don't come cheap, but the difference between computer generated and real orchestral music is several football fields.

This however, is utter bullshite. I ran out of digits thinking of better soundtracks.

Name them...

- Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends (best game noone else played)

- StarCraft 2, could include the original at a stretch

- Max Payne 2, original as well

- TES III, IV and V: Morrowblivrim

- Rainbow Six RS, also the original RSix had some legendary suspense music

- Company of Heroes

- Mass Effect, ME 2 also

- Red Faction (original only, the latter iterations blew hardcore chunks)

- Pretty much every Unreal Tournament

- Need For Speed: Special Edition

- Crysis

I could probably keep going into consoleland, but then the sheer number of Nintendo games with awesome OSTs would probably crash teh forumz...

- Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends (best game noone else played)

- StarCraft 2, could include the original at a stretch

- Max Payne 2, original as well

- TES III, IV and V: Morrowblivrim

- Rainbow Six RS, also the original RSix had some legendary suspense music

- Company of Heroes

- Mass Effect, ME 2 also

- Red Faction (original only, the latter iterations blew hardcore chunks)

- Pretty much every Unreal Tournament

- Need For Speed: Special Edition

- Crysis

I could probably keep going into consoleland, but then the sheer number of Nintendo games with awesome OSTs would probably crash teh forumz...

PLUS:

Mafia 1 (i mean the one and only, Mafia 2 was BS)

GTA games (although in a different style)

Frozen Synapse

Star Wars (any of the games)

Final Fantasy N

Here is a thing I am not so sure about myself: K-9 units

They are scary warriors and heavily used in CQB operations and surely a part of close quarter combat strategies and more combat situations. There are more than 2.800 of them deployed by the US atm.

K-9 units can be used to search for explosives or humans while being on patrol or support forces in said CQB fights.

They are, like their human counterparts, highly trained professionalist, equipped with the latest technology. They have reinforced teeth, wear bulletproof vests with cameras and speakers and more.

As I said above I am still unsure wether I would like to see them ingame. I think there are problems in their implementation. Not really concerning the features but rather in things like how the actual combat system should work etc.

Would you like to see them?

Here is a thing I am not so sure about myself: K-9 units

They are scary warriors and heavily used in CQB operations and surely a part of close quarter combat strategies and more combat situations. There are more than 2.800 of them deployed by the US atm.

K-9 units can be used to search for explosives or humans while being on patrol or support forces in said CQB fights.

They are, like their human counterparts, highly trained professionalist, equipped with the latest technology. They have reinforced teeth, wear bulletproof vests with cameras and speakers and more.

As I said above I am still unsure wether I would like to see them ingame. I think there are problems in their implementation. Not really concerning the features but rather in things like how the actual combat system should work etc.

Would you like to see them?

Yes I would. Imagine hiding in a house and waiting for one to pass by, hoping that the dog wont "sniff" you. But that would mean the writting of whole new behavioural code for the canine A.I. , not to mention some kind of odor system. I guess the attack animation could be done with the help of inverse kinematics...