GH8ynDP.png

Let's make Arma Great Again!

I have always wanted to do a complete OPFOR or red faction. For nearly 10 years now I have worked Project RACS to build up the Royal Army Corps Sahrani. I continue that work for Arma3 but it has lost a lot of steam with me. My mood for being a loyalist has soured a bit over the years. It is time for a little revolution.....or at least something different.

The core of this mod will be based around RHS: Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. 

The extension portion will be based round legacy models and contributions provided to me by my wonderful friends in this community. Namely RKSL-Rock, Vilas, and many, many others have contributed to what will be absolutely fantastic. Combine this with support from my friends at RHS this mod will be huge. We are going to do big things here, absolutely wonderful big things. As usual this project will not necessarily be about having the most perfect model, but providing you with a complete playable faction. 

Plans for the SLA 2017 include....

Regular Army: T-72B, BMP-1, BMP-2, BTR-60, Shilka, SA-6, SA-8, S-60, ZPU-4, ZU-23, D-30, M-46, D-44, SA-13, SA-9, MTLB, MTLB Zu-23, Ural trucks,

and  various static machine guns and AT weapons, Troops will include Light Regulars, Regulars, Especas, Military Police, as well as crews and officers. 

Air Force: Mig-23, MiG-27, MiG-28, MiG-21, Su-22, Su-24, Su-25, all with varying loadouts.  (hopefully more!!!)

Helicopters: Mi-24, Mi-28, Mi-8, Ka-50??

Guards Division:??? BTR-80??? BMD??? T80U??? Idea still fluid....

Navy: Basic patrol/missile/gunboat 

My basic frame of mind for the current situation on Sahrani..... I have always worked around the lore of the original Arma1 storyboard for Sahrani. An archipelago of islands contested by two governing powers. The end of the Sahrani Civil war and the unification of the island for me was about unifying Sahrani and the immediate islands under the King. The Democratic Republic of Sahrani still exists on the remaining islands they control. That was years ago now. This is a new political climate.... 

Ideas for missions and campaigns swirl around a coup in the Kingdom and the country destabilizes..... or a UN mandate requires the return of occupied territories to the DRS..... 

or one of many other ideas that would lead to direct return of SLA troops to the mainland.... whether it be militarization, occupation, or blatant re-invasion....

media

ClR2gbA.jpg?1

RIvsTXr.jpg

qEbcHmg.jpg

AHvU4U6.jpg?1

KIhIpuZ.jpg?1

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Oh my god!

That sir, is going to be superb. Back to the island and let's have a miniature cold war :D May I say, I totaly love the Flogger screenshots. 

Best of luck with this project :) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, flv*venom* said:

May I say, I totaly love the Flogger screenshots.

I'd love to take all the credit- having taken said screenshots, but getting those wonderful assets in working order are all the work of wld427, who is doing a terrific job and is really putting a fantastic faction together!

There are some terrific things coming down the pipeline, folks, and this thread is the place to see them as they come!

• Like 3

SLA Forces Spotlight
"The Floggers"
As a way of giving some finer details on the equipment in use with the SLA faction in 2017, as well as a little bit of backstory for the conditions that created them, I’ve prepared a series of posts on individual pieces of equipment, units, and weapon systems. To start us off, I’d like to present the backbone of the SLA Army Air Force: The MiG-23 and -27 Flogger.

A12C7273068241C19E62B49949003B3A18EFF397
What is it?
Introduced into Soviet service in the 70’s, the MiG-23 is a third-generation fighter with variable-geometry wings. Though advanced for its time, being the first Soviet fighter with look-down/shoot-down radar and the first to be armed with beyond-visual-range missiles, it had a higher operating cost than the MiG-21 it was meant to replace. The MiG-27, while based on the MiG-23 platform (and even sharing the NATO reporting name of “Flogger,”) is a ground-attack aircraft, with the radar in the nose replaced by a laser designator and TV camera.

91B389307B915424D12CB24DABB1BB1ABEF7FEBC
In SLA Service
Following the disastrous 2006 war on Sahrani proper, which saw the DRS lose all of their holdings on the island, harsh lessons were learned in the areas of military aviation. Though they had been well-equipped (some would say unreasonably so, given their resources) with modern SU-34 “Fullback” fighter-bombers, the forces on Sahrani failed to properly utilize this extreme advantage over the Kingdom of Sahrani to the south, a lack of proper leadership and pilot training leading to the destruction of many of the advanced Russian fighters on the ground. The remaining aircraft were captured by the RACS in the closing stages of the conflict, when RACS 2 Para assaulted their home airbase on Antigua Island.

In the wake of the conflict, the Army Air Force took a fresh look at their available forces. With unrest on Sahrani still ongoing, and the fate of the rest of the archipelago uncertain, there was an immediate need to fill the hole left by the loss of their vanguard. In these dark times for the Republic, the answer was found not by looking forward- but looking back.

6E4A74C026B73AD83E8F0977FE5D61E124087FB0

Though the loss of their SU-34 fleet was a blow to the Army Air Force, it was by no means a fatal one. The SLA still had a large number of MiG-23 fighters that, while dated, were capable of filling the air superiority role, and MiG-27 fighter-bombers made for capable, if crude, attackers. Over time, (and with significant foreign assistance) these aircraft were given updated avionics, equipment, and munitions, and today, they serve proudly with the Republic’s flying forces.

Armaments and Use In-Game
The MiG-23 and -27 are both capable of carrying a large variety of both air-to-ground and air-to-air weapons, and you’ll find they’re both hugely flexible, and a joy to fly.

The MiG-23, being capable of carrying a variety of air-to-air weapons thanks to its on-board radar, is mostly a dogfighter. Maneuverable and fast, it can knife-fight up close with R-60s or snipe from a distance with R-27s in its BVR loadout, or even conduct some rudimentary ground attack missions thanks to a few loadouts- including a bombing configuration where it carries a pair of FAB-1500s!

50DEEB863C50D1090E4F2340DFEB4A1403D41045

Of course, if you’re looking for a real king of ground attack, you’ll want the MiG-23’s cousin- the MiG-27. Though like the -23, it relies mostly on ‘dumb’ munitions, such as iron and cluster bombs, it does have a few configurations where it can carry laser-guided bombs and air-to-ground missiles such as the KH-29.

E569F00308714B305B7CDF4791C5A4023143EA61

Of particular note is the MiG-27’s ability to carry AT cluster munitions such as the RBK-500 SPBE. When you drop a full payload of these on a target, well...

0E74D75C6FCE3F8C9287958A592A8CD65074F4A2

It tends to ruin their day.

All-in-all, then, the Floggers prove a lesson that will be learned time and time again as we look at the SLA and their forces in the modern age; an old piece of equipment in the right hands is far more dangerous than a new piece of equipment in the wrong ones. 

That's been our look at some of the airpower the modern SLA brings to the table: Next time, we'll take a look at the armored fist of the
Revolución!

• Like 16

Any plans for a Sahrani 2017? Re-Establish the North, with a greater and better wall to protect the new revolution!

• Like 6

The original camies, light OD vehicles... *flashbacks of original A1 insues accompanied by 90's Prodigy music*

As for the Mig-23/27 - i'll just:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mondkalb said:

Any plans for a Sahrani 2017? Re-Establish the North, with a greater and better wall to protect the new revolution!

nice to see a lot of familiar faces stopping by to check out my thread. Cannonsong and Ballistic09 have a lot of really cool media coming for you guys. 

• Like 2

SLA Forces Spotlight
“Rolling Thunder”
Today, we take a look at the armored forces of the SLA in the second of the unit spotlights for the PRACS SLA Faction Mod.
79751E298C5C179F8B4DA85AC90AB7FC8F138C63
What Is It?
The T-72B Main Battle Tank is an updated variant of the well-known Soviet T-72. Featuring additional armor, a new main gun, better FCS, and the ability to fire barrel-launched ATGMs, it’s a complete modernization of the platform.

The BMP-1 and -2 are Soviet Infantry Fighting Vehicles, capable of carrying soldiers to battle and then supporting them with a variety of weapons. The BMP-1’s main weapons are a low-velocity 73mm “Grom” cannon, a coaxial 7.62mm PKT, and the ability to fire 9M14 “Malyutka” missiles from a rail above the barrel. The BMP-2 features a new turret with a 30mm autocannon, the same coaxial PKT, and a launcher for firing 9M113 “Konkurs” ATGMs mounted on the roof.

25787B12BEFB6B592A18CCC65F8B305B9DC85294
In SLA Service
During the 2006 war on Sahrani, one of the few areas the SLA enjoyed an advantage, at least initially, was in armored forces. Though many analysts, armchair generals, and internet commenters assumed it was the Kingdom of Sahrani to the south, with their forces mostly comprised of Leopard 1 and 2 tanks, that held the advantage in armor, the first few days of the campaign proved these assumptions disastrously wrong. Though somewhat dated, the T-72M tanks of the SLA were more than a match for the more modern Leopards, which were swept aside in the initial stages of the campaign without so much as a whimper. It really did seem for a time like the nightmare of the 1970’s and 80’s- a full Soviet-style armored rush through the Fulda Gap- was being lived out on the island nation.

But then, the Americans arrived. And with them, they brought Abrams, Bradleys, and A-10s.
E5C8E5D4886A020802659F82F5E535D49F95EC49
What had first seemed like the Cold War scenario out of NATO’s nightmares soon began to resemble the closing stages of Operation Desert Storm, with SLA forces in full retreat, their armored superiority literally burning away. When the war ended, the only thing left of the once-mighty mechanized forces were the burned-out husks of their tanks- and a handful of shaken tankers. Like their air force, the armored forces of the SLA had learned a harsh lesson- and like the Army Air Force, they applied those lessons well.

F9E7325D351E0F7CCB98AECE291270C8CF4861BC

Not willing to abandon the T-72 platform outright, the SLA opted to modernize. Buying up as many T-72Bs as they could, they set about an extensive upgrade program; training was improved, systems were overhauled, and the result was christened the “Trueno”- Thunder.

Now, in 2017, the Trueno is one portion of the revived SLA’s armored fist. Along with similarly updated BMP-series IFVs, it lives up to its namesake, roaring across any battlefield the Revolución comes to.

6988B6C046D9FCE03E6A59FD833E15D1EC78B9D6
Features and Use In-Game
The mechanized forces of the bulk of the SLA are represented by the T-72B-1 “Trueno” Main Battle Tank, the upgraded T-72BA-1E “Trueno”, and the BMP-1-S and BMP-2-S “Caja” -I and -II IFVs.

C15BF75BD7CD079024FF8595DC2F5155B2175B8F
As you’d expect of a Soviet-style military, the armored forces of the SLA are meant to work in close concert with one another. The tanks form the spearhead, the IFVs support the tanks, and the infantry fill the gaps. Though on their own, the T-72B-1 and T-72BA-1E aren’t much of a match for a modern Western MBT, they’re fast, versatile, and well-armed, capable of matching or outright defeating armor of their own generation without much difficulty. When it comes to armament, they’re broadly similar, though the improved Trueno, the BA-1E, is equipped with ERA and is a bit tougher.

In addition, the BMPs and T-72s carry over all the features present on equivalent vehicles featured in RHS AFRF, so you can expect yourself to be equipped with laser rangefinders, barrel-launched ATGMs, functioning ERA, all that good stuff!

But of course, comrade, your greatest weapon is your dedication to the cause!

Viva la República! Viva la Revolución!

• Like 11

Love the look of everything so far! I do have a soft spot for the SLA

• Like 4

I'm happy to see the SLA in full force again, I still remember some of the stuff you put out for the SLA in the ARMA I days including a few ships and boats, will those be making a come back? 

All the screenshots looks good!

The picture with the SA-9 Gecko is it your own created model or from which mod is it? The other stuff is maybee reskined RHS stuff. (correct if I'm wrong)

edit: okay some planes are also not from RHS.

MiG-28?Wat is this?

OSA gets me hyped btw.

BTW.T-80U was so cool,so they was never been exported only ex-USSR countried have this.BMDs also wasn't popular outside USSR,usually because it's requed strong airforce.As for BTR-80... better get a BTR-80A.Even North Korea uses this :P.

Talking about your SLA Guards Division idea.

8575696127_6440206788_k.jpg

Another thing I thing about is... probably you may rename your vehicles for some sort of local designation.

Kinda IRL BTR-60 was named as SPW-60 in East German and TAB-71 in Yugoslavia and Romania.

BMP was also know as BVP(cz),BWP(pol),SPz(Germany).

anyway - waiting for release.

This mod could be as an opportunity to bring some retired ussr tech and it will be great if you will use some new models like btr-152, btr-50, pt-76 tank, mi-4 heli...

Bmp, btr60 - it's all nice but we have this in RHS-CUP-Everywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayko said:

This mod could be as an opportunity to bring some retired ussr tech and it will be great if you will use some new models like btr-152, btr-50, pt-76 tank, mi-4 heli...

>btr-152, btr-50, pt-76 tank, mi-4 heli...

>2017

12 minutes ago, Pan Samogon said:

>btr-152, btr-50, pt-76 tank, mi-4 heli...

>2017

yep, those i wrote still in sevice in some countries. Why not in SLA?))

3 hours ago, Rayko said:

it's all nice but we have this in RHS-CUP-Everywhere.

what exactly are you trying to say?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, wld427 said:

what exactly are you trying to say?

I mean that already more than 5 factions in arma 3 have this btr's and bmp's in their army. Maybe it will be better to replace it by something else which we still don't have? (Like you did with mig-23 and AA truck) P.S. Don't be mad on my comment, it's just a thought. Your mod is great anyway!)

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place when you're trying to recreate a previous faction, and one that uses such ubiquitous vehicles like the BMP, T-72 etc. On the one hand you gotta pay homage to the original line up and also do something new to make your project stand out 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, slatts said:

It's a bit of a rock and a hard place when you're trying to recreate a previous faction, and one that uses such ubiquitous vehicles like the BMP, T-72 etc. On the one hand you gotta pay homage to the original line up and also do something new to make your project stand out 

Excellently put. And there are plans to add some unique stuff, but it wouldn't make sense for the faction we're trying to represent to just abandon established and proven kit so they could be unique little butterflies- they're a pseudo-communist revolutionary army, not a pack of millennials.

I think, too, what I love is the 'suggestions' to add these 'unique' pieces of equipment, but no offers to provide the models, texturing, coding, or hours of testing to make sure they work. Back when I worked on my first modteam, we had someone who called himself an "Ideas Man," which really just meant he tried to tell the people on the team actually working on things what to do and adding nothing himself. Good to see there's no shortage of people like that in the world. ;)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Rayko said:

I mean that already more than 5 factions in arma 3 have this btr's and bmp's in their army. Maybe it will be better to replace it by something else which we still don't have? (Like you did with mig-23 and AA truck) P.S. Don't be mad on my comment, it's just a thought. Your mod is great anyway!)

well like slatts said... i need to follow at least some of the lineage of the the original army. 

Please refer to the first post....

There will be plenty of original content as posted in the lists. 

BMP-1, T-72B, T-72BA, BTR-60 and BTR-80 are reskins of RHS yes....

BUT--- S-60, ZPU-4, SA-8, Sa-13, SA-9, SA-2, Fan Song,  SA-11, Tunguska, M-46, D-44, D-20, MTLB, Mig-23, Su-22, Mig-27, Su-24, Su-25, MiG-21, MiG-28, and all their unique loadouts....plus infantry, gear, vests, lots of little things like flags, bunkers, an ARV.....plus much much more.......

i guarantee you will not find another SLA mod like this anywhere. As with Project RACS i will be providing a complete OPFOR faction from the ground up, not just another reskin collection. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1