Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Guess the airplane!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 05 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The "Bucaneer" I keep forgetting the damn designations but I know their nicknames smile.gif. 1950's vintage jet bomber, some still used as lazer spotters<span id='postcolor'>

Good work Tovarish!

Now I just need to find another hard plane to guess, I know some, but they never cam einto production so not really fair.....

Ok, here's my last challenge for today. Unless you really know your late 1940's-1950's jets, this one may be pretty challenging.

110420029451828.jpg

Here's some background info...It's one of the most significant aircraft in Cuban airforce history, even though it is a combat trainer, not a fighter. It helped ensure victory for Castro's forces during the Bay of Pigs by shooting down the CIA's B-26 bombers. The pilot pictured there with his plane became a Cuban National hero that day. I remember seeing guncam footage of one of his kills as a kid. He shot at the left engine of a B-26 and the whole left wing exploded and disintegrated. Even back then, as much as I believed the propaganda that the attackers were mercenaries who got what they deserved, (I have a less skewed view now but I still say at that time the Castro forces were the good guys...that's another story though), I remember feeling a bit sorry for the crew, knowing there was no way in hell they could bail out from that.

So if you're really stumped you can just go and read up on the Bay of Pigs smile.gif

wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Nov. 05 2002,04wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, there's a Mig-15 behind it. smile.gif

Is it a Northorp make?

a T-33?<span id='postcolor'>

You got it smile.gif

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> Now that you mention the MiG-15, I just remembered an interesting fact. The MiG-15's engine is a Soviet licence-built version of the same engine the T-33 has (yes, the British actually gave the Soviets the Rolls-Royce Nene engine after WW2)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Nov. 05 2002,12:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">a T-33?<span id='postcolor'>

I reckon assualt is correct.

I can remember reading about it the other day and remembered it was a T something.

Production ended in '59, it was making Cubans aces in '61 and Canada's just done phasing them out now. Sad aint it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Nov. 05 2002,12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P-40 Warhawk<span id='postcolor'>

Good work.

Now for next one.

havoc.gif

The name of the file gives part of the puzzle away, but not all of it.

The plane had numerous names(3 to be eact) see if you can name them all!

lol a B-26 Marauder. I think it was also known as a Widowmaker, but that's probably not a name encouraged by it's manufacturer smile.gif

*edit* Nope, I'm wrong. Think Assault's got it

*does a little URL research*

I think it'd be smarter to download, then attach the image, renaming the file if it contains the plane identification in it.

After 4 clicks, I found that it is indeed an A-20 Havoc.

biggrin.gif *tries to sound smart*

EDIT - I figured it'd be OK to post the answer, since someone already guessed it.

You have found out the A-20 part, but can you name the other name it was given besides Havoc?

Anyone with any knowledge of Eastern front WW2 should be able to get this one smile.gif. It was the first fighter to have retractable landing gear, and the first designed with a closed cockpit (test pilots did not like the closed cockpit and it was not implemented in production models)

1104200210361111.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 05 2002,12:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1104200210361111.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

I-16

I wonder if those planes are the ones that belong to that plane nutter in New Zealnand who runs 'War Birds over Wanaka'

Just that the terrain looks like my beloved Otago in NZ.

Right. And I reckon yours is a DFS-230 smile.gif (Had to really dig for that one....now you're throwing gliders at me...gliders I know nothing about!wink.giftounge.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Nov. 05 2002,12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And I reckon yours is a DFS-230 smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, but you wasted your efforts, its not a DFS-230.

The only reason I know about this glider is from a funky book; 'Last Talons of the Eagle', a really good book about Secret German Projects of WW2. They had all kinds of crazy stuff they were making........

A Space Plane that flew at Mach 18!

Heh, I give up on it. smile.gif.I've found a bunch of German gliders with names I've never heard before and none of e'm look like the one in your pic except for the DFS.

OK!

Its the Bv-40 Attack Glider.

Designed by Blohm and Voss(I think) it was created with the intention of attacking American Bomber Combat Boxes. The idea was that it silently glided down from the clouds and attacked before returning to the ground. It was so small it couldnt be seen until close range.

To prove Im not makign this up

bv_40.jpg