Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Are you a hunter?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,19:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Oct. 30 2002,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've hunted caribou and geese in northern Canada with Cree indians, and it was a blast.  The caribou were just standing on the side of the road, so we just got out of the pick up and blasted ten of them, and we gutted them right there on the side of the road and loaded them into the pick up.  There was so much meat from them, I had to buy another freezer to store them.  I got sick of the meat, and half of it I ground up and fed hungry dogs in the village.  And caribou skin is soo warm, its really good for winter blanket.

Goose hunting isn't as easy as caribou, you got to call them down to land in front of your blind.  I went with this 85 year old indian who was calling geese since he was a kid, and he worked these down like a pro.  Some of them, don't die when shot with buckshot, they just can't fly away because of damaged wings, so we're supposed to go up and wring their necks to finish them off.  So I went up to this one and was bending down to pick it up by the neck and it attacks me!! it was going to bite me, so I freak out and I grab my shotgun and blast it from 2 feet away.  Oh god what a mess, there was feathers floating in the air, the bird was pretty much well tenderized and of not much could be save of it.  We ended up just digging a hole and covering up the bird there.

Fishing up north was also a lotta fun.  I caught a pike that was over 3 feet long, it was huge, and there was no way we could bring it into the cannoe I was in, so we paddled back to camp and and dragged it onto shore, and I didn't know what to do with it, it was still flopping around on the ground after 5 minutes.  So a few of the Cree kids that were there at the camp came over and said they'd kill the fish, and I agreed.  So they just picked up sticks and beat that fish on the head for mintues.  I did eat some of that pike, but it has a million bones, so it's not the best eating fish.

Next I love to go bear hunting.  I've seen a black bear skin that one of the indian had and I fell in love with it.  He killed it with a bow, and that's what I'd like to go hunting with, I took some practice shots with it and I was good with it.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

I sure hope 90% of what you are saying is total bullshit!<span id='postcolor'>

why, why couldn't he do something you aren't able to do ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,11:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 31 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm ... i think a good ol' 20 gauges boar shell would be more appropriate for the bears smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

A 20-gauge is tiny, you don't want to go into bear country with that, at least not in North America.

I'd take nothing smaller than a 12-gauge, 10 or bigger would be better.<span id='postcolor'>

the indian got his bear with arrows , why can't i try with my 20 gauges ? tounge.gif

-edit- i still want a little bit of challenge smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There's a good reason: shotgun slugs that small are neither safe to use for you if you are attacked by a bear, nor is it terribly sporting to wound an animal and then have it run off into the woods and slowly bleed to death.

As a hunter, we have a responsibility to make a clean kill, and not just use the animal for target practice or ballistics tests.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 31 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,11wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 31 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm ... i think a good ol' 20 gauges boar shell would be more appropriate for the bears smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

A 20-gauge is tiny, you don't want to go into bear country with that, at least not in North America.

I'd take nothing smaller than a 12-gauge, 10 or bigger would be better.<span id='postcolor'>

the indian got his bear with arrows , why can't i try with my 20 gauges ? tounge.gif

There's a good reason: shotgun slugs that small are neither safe to use for you if you are attacked by a bear, nor is it terribly sporting to wound an animal and then have it run off into the woods and slowly bleed to death.

As a hunter, we have a responsibility to make a clean kill, and not just use the animal for target practice or ballistics tests.<span id='postcolor'>

baaah fuck that then , gimme a vab with a 20mm on top and i'll hunt you your fucking bear .......

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 30 2002,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 31 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,11wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 31 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hmm ... i think a good ol' 20 gauges boar shell would be more appropriate for the bears <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

As a hunter, we have a responsibility to make a clean kill, and not just use the animal for target practice or ballistics tests.<span id='postcolor'>

baaah fuck that then , gimme a vab with a 20mm on top and i'll hunt you your fucking bear .......

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'd go for the rocket launcher, your meat is cooked the moment your rocket hits the bear!

You can eat seconds after you've hunted!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 31 2002,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ Oct. 30 2002,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I can't stand is when people say they won't hunt because its wrong to kill somthing, yet those same people would think nothing of eating meat from the butcher shop.<span id='postcolor'>

Are the animals you get at the butcher hunted down and shot?  I don't think so...<span id='postcolor'>

no , but they are conducted to the slaughter-house in small but overcrowded trucks , they're moved from the back of the truck with the help of electrical arks and other sticks , they're then conducted in a cold asseptised room where they're either electrocuted or their throat is cut , then their members are separated and the remains are sent to the garbages to be burnt then<span id='postcolor'>

Larger livestock is usually killed with a captive bolt gun. Chickens etc. have their heads torn off.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 30 2002,21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,19:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Oct. 30 2002,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've hunted caribou and geese in northern Canada with Cree indians, and it was a blast.  The caribou were just standing on the side of the road, so we just got out of the pick up and blasted ten of them, and we gutted them right there on the side of the road and loaded them into the pick up.  There was so much meat from them, I had to buy another freezer to store them.  I got sick of the meat, and half of it I ground up and fed hungry dogs in the village.  And caribou skin is soo warm, its really good for winter blanket.

Goose hunting isn't as easy as caribou, you got to call them down to land in front of your blind.  I went with this 85 year old indian who was calling geese since he was a kid, and he worked these down like a pro.  Some of them, don't die when shot with buckshot, they just can't fly away because of damaged wings, so we're supposed to go up and wring their necks to finish them off.  So I went up to this one and was bending down to pick it up by the neck and it attacks me!! it was going to bite me, so I freak out and I grab my shotgun and blast it from 2 feet away.  Oh god what a mess, there was feathers floating in the air, the bird was pretty much well tenderized and of not much could be save of it.  We ended up just digging a hole and covering up the bird there.

Fishing up north was also a lotta fun.  I caught a pike that was over 3 feet long, it was huge, and there was no way we could bring it into the cannoe I was in, so we paddled back to camp and and dragged it onto shore, and I didn't know what to do with it, it was still flopping around on the ground after 5 minutes.  So a few of the Cree kids that were there at the camp came over and said they'd kill the fish, and I agreed.  So they just picked up sticks and beat that fish on the head for mintues.  I did eat some of that pike, but it has a million bones, so it's not the best eating fish.

Next I love to go bear hunting.  I've seen a black bear skin that one of the indian had and I fell in love with it.  He killed it with a bow, and that's what I'd like to go hunting with, I took some practice shots with it and I was good with it.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

I sure hope 90% of what you are saying is total bullshit!<span id='postcolor'>

why, why couldn't he do something you aren't able to do ?<span id='postcolor'>

Um, i don't understand that sentence, does it make sense?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 31 2002,02:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that hunting is a sensless violance taken out on poor animals.

If you need to eat: sure, but just for sports, it is disgusting. Pick somebody your own size that is armed and shoots back, if you want it to be a "sport".<span id='postcolor'>

Whoopteedoo for sure. Killing helpless animals is no sport sad.gif . It is pathetic. I like animals. They do not only taste great, but they also provide good company. Yes, i eat a lot of meat. I don't like the way chickens or pigs are slaughtered in the slaughter house, but i am a human. And humans eat everything. But i don't kill for fun. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Oct. 30 2002,21:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ Oct. 30 2002,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I can't stand is when people say they won't hunt because its wrong to kill somthing, yet those same people would think nothing of eating meat from the butcher shop.<span id='postcolor'>

Are the animals you get at the butcher hunted down and shot?  I don't think so...<span id='postcolor'>

no , but they are conducted to the slaughter-house in small but overcrowded trucks , they're moved from the back of the truck with the help of electrical arks and other sticks , they're then conducted in a cold asseptised room where they're either electrocuted or their throat is cut , then their members are separated and the remains are sent to the garbages to be burnt then<span id='postcolor'>

Well, perhaps that's what happens if france, if i'm correct, here in Belgium they get electrocuted, not throats being slit here, i've seen electrocution, and it looks rather painless. They're dead before you know it, the iron bar barely touches them. I wonder why they don't use the same method for human beings, our killers get coocked....

The remains are used as animal food where i live, those animals looooove it. No burning...

Electrical arks? Hmz, don't know about that one...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ Oct. 30 2002,21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Oct. 31 2002,02wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think that hunting is a sensless violance taken out on poor animals.

If you need to eat: sure, but just for sports, it is disgusting. Pick somebody your own size that is armed and shoots back, if you want it to be a "sport".<span id='postcolor'>

Whoopteedoo for sure. Killing helpless animals is no sport  sad.gif . It is pathetic. I like animals. They do not only taste great, but they also provide good company. Yes, i eat a lot of meat. I don't like the way chickens or pigs are slaughtered in the slaughter house, but i am a human. And humans eat everything. But i don't kill for fun.  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hooray!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The remains are used as animal food where i live, those animals looooove it.  No burning...<span id='postcolor'>

Yup, and those cows don't even realize that they have become omnivores.

But didn't the EU stop using that stuff as animal feed due to Kreutzfeld-Jacobs Disease, a.k.a. Mad Cow Disease?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 30 2002,21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The remains are used as animal food where i live, those animals looooove it.  No burning...<span id='postcolor'>

But didn't the EU stop using that stuff as animal feed due to Kreutzfeld-Jacobs Disease, a.k.a. Mad Cow Disease?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but the disease is gone now so it's used again, i think...

But the problem will reappear if the feed is re-introduced into the food chain. I believe the EU has permanently banned the use of animal protein feed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 30 2002,21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The remains are used as animal food where i live, those animals looooove it.  No burning...<span id='postcolor'>

But didn't the EU stop using that stuff as animal feed due to Kreutzfeld-Jacobs Disease, a.k.a. Mad Cow Disease?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but the disease is gone now so it's used again, i think...<span id='postcolor'>

Ehhhh, no.

As long as the remains of a cow aint eaten by cows, its okay. Did you know that african Cannibals had similar desease 300 years ago? Another feature from mother nature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SantaMania @ Oct. 30 2002,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,20:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 30 2002,21:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The remains are used as animal food where i live, those animals looooove it.  No burning...<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but the disease is gone now so it's used again, i think...<span id='postcolor'>

Ehhhh, no.

As long as the remains of a cow aint eaten by cows, its okay. Did you know that african Cannibals had similar desease 300 years ago? Another feature from mother nature.<span id='postcolor'>

Why shouldn't they feed it to the cows anymore? Our cows don't have this disease anymore, i don't know about your country but here it's being used again.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 31 2002,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I sure hope 90% of what you are saying is total bullshit!<span id='postcolor'>

Here's the Cree village I was at

and I must say I had alot of fun doing all the things I did, I only hated the gutting of the caribou.  Man those things stink. Reaching in and holding on to some part of some organ and yanking it out, while the body is semi-warm, that was the hardest thing.  The indians do it so the wolves  (and other animals) that are stalking the caribou have something to eat.  Kinda like giving something back to mother nature.  And plucking the down and feathers off the geese is also a long boring job, but that is usually done by the women of the camp and while us hunting men drink whiskey in the teepee biggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes it did... But that was before polluting made the planet get heated up a few degrees resulting that some predators moving away from some areas, and leaving animals to them self.

<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think we need to worry too much about global warming to be honest. The world has gotten warmer and warmer ever since the iceage, it will probably stop getting warmer and there will be a new iceage and so on...

I dont like when poeple hunt because its fun, but I think its ok to hunt for populationcontrol.

Something thats really fucked up is bullfighting. I think the best part is when the bullfighter get his ass kicked by the bull and end up in the hospital.

I saw a documentary about kid bullfighters and one kid got hit pretty bad by the bull and started crying, he said he was crying because the bull hurt him, WTF did he think he did to the bull when he pierced it with his sword several times failing to kill it?

Something that is funny is when an animal suffer you kill it because its better for it, but when a human suffers you save him/her.

If I break my neck and cant move for the rest of my life I want someone to shoot me. If I was an animal they would shoot me but because Im a human I´d have to live with it, thats pretty weird.

Maybe hunting for populationcontrol in countries where people are starving would be a good idea because then less people would suffer but because they are humans you cant kill them even though it would be best for the ones who were shot and the ones who werent shot.

Maybe I sound like an idiot but I think someone will understand what how Im thinking.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What pisses me off too is when I read stories about how a woman got attacked by Puma in some mountanious region in California and now all the Sheriff's are out to hunt that Puma and kill it. Did it ever occur to these people that this planet isn't just ours ?<span id='postcolor'>

What should we do instead? Capture it and put it on trial?

My sister visited a slaughterhouse once, she left a vegitarian. She told me all about it, and if I recall correctly: Pigs are killed by electrocution (they whine and squeel as it happens), Cows are taken out with a compressed air bolt to the head or by having thier throat sliced, and Chickens are put on a conveyor hanging by thier feet and the conveyor belt takes them through a dual-blade like device which cuts off thier heads, the heads then fall into a collection bin.

Assembly line killing machines, we humans are so inventive, aren't we? tounge.gif

The only animals I would shoot other than for eating, would be introduced animals, like the European Starling. Since I live in a suburb, I doubt my nieghbours would appreciate the noise. But if I lived out in the rurals, European Starlings and Sparrows would be fair game.

Tyler

I have a friend, lives in kathmandu now, who preached to the trappers, miners and eskimos in alaska, beyond the brooks range.

he tells how he couldn't sleep once from the midnight sun, so he took his .22 and went for a walk. he was a good ways from the house when he happened on fresh bear prints.

he says he was wide awake at 1 in the morning.

another time he had shot a caribou for over the winter. he cut the thing up and carried half of it to the house. when he came back a bear was on his caribou. he got mad and just shot at the thing with his .45 pistol (which really doesn't do much to a bear 100 yards away.)

the animal came at him at 30 mph. he got scared witless and to this day doesn't remember how he got up that vertical incline.

so: if you happen to meet a bear beyond the brooks range in alaska at midnight some day, don't mess with it unless you have an ample supply of buckshot and the appropriate rifle with you.

I hunt a much as I can, I just love getting out in to the bush. I love shooting crows, rabbits, pigs any thing that is not native, when the Kangaroo population gets to high I will shoot them but only past 300m and head shots only that makes it very sporting, when you are dealing with a mirage.

I am original from Rural New South Wales in Australia, I have also lived in Central QLD as well, one thing I have noted is living in a large city now (due to the lack or work at home) is the almost total ignorance to guns and hunting, and an unwillingness to learn about what they are for(there are some people who do work it out). People don’t understand that hunting is an effective way to control pests. It is also a great way to pass time as a kid.

Those that say it is cruel need to remember that a bullet is instantaneous every thing I aim at goes down first time. Then go and watch someone fishing as they drown their catch or knock it out, to let it drown quietly. It’s the same thing just the fish don’t have fur and are cute when they are young.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">an unwillingness to learn about what they are for(there are some people who do work it out). People don’t understand that hunting is an effective way to control pests. It is also a great way to pass time as a kid.

<span id='postcolor'>

This is sick. I am happy if I don´t have to take my gun with me 24h a day. My kid would never get one. Wherefore ? To train headshots on pigs ?!? This is really sick. mad.gif

I used to hunt with my then father in law to be but me and her broke up and then you lose the father in law too ... Course you can still go there but then she is there too. ITs her dad too after all! smile.gif

I hunt for food ,and to help keep the local deer population in check during deer season. If you ever had deer sausage made by a pro it's like ambrosia smile.gif I like to keep the other eatable animals fish/squirrel's/rabbit/ect.ect around incase I need a backup food supply. But it'll have to get reallllllll...bad before I start eating little fury critters smile.gif

But people that hunt to put a head on the wall sicken me. Makes me wonder if the tables were turned on them how would they feel. I really don't even see a need for people to shoot varmints for fun. If a varmint's natural enemy is introduced or reintroduced it'll solve most overpopulation issues. Plus they seem to have just a little to much fun exploding little animals.

Well we mostly hunted squirrels. Some idiot released american type squirrels and they are larger then our european squirrels (yes they are a buncho of nutwashing wuzzes biggrin.gif ) so they were driving them out. INtroducing a predator would be a option but one of which you cant predict its side effects.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are the animals you get at the butcher hunted down and shot? I don't think so... <span id='postcolor'>

What difference does it make?

And what Ran said aobut the slaghterhouse it true. I know(n) people that work(ed) at schniders in Kitchener and my dad also worked at one somewhere else.

I go hunting plenty, I love it. It's great bonding for me and my Dad, plus it gives us an excuse to meet up with family and go hunting.

I took a hunters saftey course once in New Jersey (a VERY unfriendly state for hunters) and it wsa some BS, mostly common sense.

Example...

class and textbook = Once you're in your treestand, tie on your harness.

teacher in field = once you're in your treestand, load your gun.

I don't want to undermine anything, it's good that you got your liscense and you should follow what you were taught and all, that just made me kinda mad.

remember to use common sense too. lol