R0adki11

[WIP] Mig-21 PFM (Fishbed-F)

we have both of those in unsung for arma 3. sparka is also in pooks sam pack i think

Good news i have removed the dependency on CUP, and would like to thank eggbeast for helping me out with alot config and model related help. Without the help the addon certainly wouldnt be where it is. Anyway enough talk, time for some pictures:

Mig21s lined up with all possible load-outs:

MIg21-4.jpg

Mig21 SEAD on Patrol

MIg21-7.jpg

MIg21-10.jpg

MIg21-12.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet shots! BTW dafaq is that huge missile on the pylon!?

Is that yours or someone elses?  I'm wanting to get the flankers squared away soon w/ all the different weapons

• Like 1

Is that yours or someone elses?  I'm wanting to get the flankers squared away soon w/ all the different weapons

eggbeast has kindly helped me out with weapons and loadouts :).

Next stage is try and finalise some Skins, which could look like:

• Generic NATO Skin
  • Generic INDEP Skin
  • Generic OPFOR Skin
  • AAF Skin
  • Nogovan Skins
  • CUP Faction Skins as appropriate
  • icebreakr islands skins

OK so we're dancing to the same sheet of music LOL

What I did for the "random" skins was to load the textures up in GIMP (only free TGA editor I know) and select by color, then adjust hue/brightness/saturation levels until it looked interesting.  Repeat for other colors.  Presto some interesting texture variations.  The problem is getting the texture selected when different colors are so close to each other.

• Like 1

the weapons may be a temporary measure - I'm hoping to get the FRL_missilebox out soon - about 3 weeks after the unsung bravo is out hopefully..Then our improvements and extra functions could kick in on these migs.

pooks SEAD radar homing functionality is remmed out at the moment, as I didn't want to force the dependency with pooks sam pack.

Same for the GPS targeting.

Ideally pook, a copy of your script should go into the FRL_missilebox along with Mykes GPS/INS targeting.  Then planes can adopt the weaponry and functions together.

Let me know if this is acceptable.

• Like 2

Yes the re-use of the ARM scripts I developed in the SAM Pack is fine.  I think all of the HARM-based targeting scripts in other mods are pretty much doing that anyway.  If I ever need to update the originals however, the copies of course will have to be updated as well!  I recall there needs to be one update as one of the Soviet era ARM missiles wasn't in the list, however that should be the only change required.  If anyone develops new radar equipment, that would require an update to the scripts as well.

Roadkill,

Remember that for the ARM target scripts to work, you'll have to set the starting variable in the plane's INIT script (All explained in my SAM pack readme guide).  With that variable set in the startup script, all of the ARM (Anti-Radiation Targeting) scripts work "natively" and without any extra work required in the editor.  The scripts simulate the emitter locating equipment, like the US HARM targeting pod, although they don't add any visual model changes.  If you don't have any ARM missiles, the script is simply present and "idle" but not used.

The scripts are what makes the ARM missiles (like the AGM-88, Kh-31, etc) all "see" the radars that are normally not able to be targeted via the "easy" TAB lock feature.  Scripts can either simply detect the enemy radar, or detect and fire the weapon at it... out to 10km, regardless of the view distance settings.  Mig-21 SEAD would be completely "at home" with several of the Soviet-era ARM missiles!

Hey Roadkill sorry to stomp all over your thread!  Didn't mean to digress... shutting up now :)

• Like 1

thanks pook that's kind mate. I will add it to the mig for him.

• Like 1

thanks pook that's kind mate. I will add it to the mig for him.

Sounds great :)

Yes the re-use of the ARM scripts I developed in the SAM Pack is fine.  I think all of the HARM-based targeting scripts in other mods are pretty much doing that anyway.  If I ever need to update the originals however, the copies of course will have to be updated as well!  I recall there needs to be one update as one of the Soviet era ARM missiles wasn't in the list, however that should be the only change required.  If anyone develops new radar equipment, that would require an update to the scripts as well.

Roadkill,

Remember that for the ARM target scripts to work, you'll have to set the starting variable in the plane's INIT script (All explained in my SAM pack readme guide).  With that variable set in the startup script, all of the ARM (Anti-Radiation Targeting) scripts work "natively" and without any extra work required in the editor.  The scripts simulate the emitter locating equipment, like the US HARM targeting pod, although they don't add any visual model changes.  If you don't have any ARM missiles, the script is simply present and "idle" but not used.

The scripts are what makes the ARM missiles (like the AGM-88, Kh-31, etc) all "see" the radars that are normally not able to be targeted via the "easy" TAB lock feature.  Scripts can either simply detect the enemy radar, or detect and fire the weapon at it... out to 10km, regardless of the view distance settings.  Mig-21 SEAD would be completely "at home" with several of the Soviet-era ARM missiles!

Hey Roadkill sorry to stomp all over your thread!  Didn't mean to digress... shutting up now :)

No worries its perfectly fine, it all helps everyone :)

Also just to add some further updates, the talented Pinaz has been helping me out with some further skins for some additional variants. AAF is just one of the skins to be added :)

Mig21-29.jpg

• Like 8

You aren't supposed to ask "are we there yet" questions, per the forum rules. 

I am CERTAIN that if Roadkill finished it, that he would not sit on it for 6 months and not share it with the world.  So let's be patient shall we?  Or maybe he is finished with it and just doesn't intend to release it to the world, and just tease us with these pics :D

• Like 1

Is model finished?

You aren't supposed to ask "are we there yet" questions, per the forum rules. 

I am CERTAIN that if Roadkill finished it, that he would not sit on it for 6 months and not share it with the world.  So let's be patient shall we?  Or maybe he is finished with it and just doesn't intend to release it to the world, and just tease us with these pics :D

The model is nearly finished, release isn't far off yet. Unfortunately of late i've had to step back from Arma3 modding, i just haven't had the time to work on it. Real life is taking priority at the moment.

Well that just makes you a tease then doesn't it :P

As always, real life should always win out of mods.

• Like 1

So now that 1.60 has landed, i will check that the Mig21 is still working correctly. And hope to finalise and release soonâ„¢ 

• Like 3

Testing has gone well, one shadow bug found. Not sure whats causing it so need to investigate otherwise we are not far away now. Anyway heres a few pictures:

Mig21-34.jpg

Mig21-36.jpg

Mig21-39.jpg

• Like 5

Shadows need:

- closed geometry

- all surfaces triangulated

- all edges "hard" (the U key)

That bug is most likely due to one of these issues.  May just be reversed faces, which will cause a "non-closed" condition when checking.  If you try the "close geometry" it will simply spawn triangles in all the slots it finds, and then you're looking at perhaps 20 faces in the exact same spot.  This will cause that issue as well.  So I never use the "close" command since it just doesn't work on anything bigger than a cube.

Shadows need:

- closed geometry

- all surfaces triangulated

- all edges "hard" (the U key)

That bug is most likely due to one of these issues.  May just be reversed faces, which will cause a "non-closed" condition when checking.  If you try the "close geometry" it will simply spawn triangles in all the slots it finds, and then you're looking at perhaps 20 faces in the exact same spot.  This will cause that issue as well.  So I never use the "close" command since it just doesn't work on anything bigger than a cube.

The only bug appears to be the landing gear, casts a big shadow on the ground with random triangles. So certainly what you have mentioned. Will have to investigate and see if its an easy fix.

That last shot is awesome with the afterburner flame effect.

Great stuff

• Like 1

That last shot is awesome with the afterburner flame effect.

Great stuff

Agreed.

• Like 1