Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

I would have bought 12600K of course, but DDR5 motherboard price + good DDR5 RAM...

3 hours ago, Groove_C said:

I would have bought 12600K of course, but DDR5 motherboard price + good DDR5 RAM...

There is DDR4 MB such as this for ~ 200 USD  https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-UD-DDR4-rev-10

But I agree we can wait a few months for Q1 2022 to see Ryzen with 3D vcache.

Woud really love to see whether or not ddr5 performs well with ArmA3

Just got contacted elsewhere by a dude who apparently bought a 12900k with speedy ddr5. No direct comparison to ddr4 but at least we'll learn about alder lakes arma3 performance.

@Groove_C i told him to contact you regarding the avx2 malloc, as i dont find the file and armaholic is gone unfortunately 😪

First! 

the system still very unoptimised but here we go;

124.0 FPS on 12900K @5.4 Gz 6 E-Cores 0 P Cores
1920x1080 S - Standard Settings in YAAB

10 hours ago, dadax said:

First! 

the system still very unoptimised but here we go;

124.0 FPS on 12900K @5.4 Gz 6 E-Cores 0 P Cores
1920x1080 S - Standard Settings in YAAB

6 E cores?! 

0 P cores?!

Sounds sketch....

5 hours ago, Valken said:

6 E cores?! 

0 P cores?!

Sounds sketch....

The opposite.

Only 6 big cores, with 2 big cores and 4 little cores disabled, which makes 0 sense.

Also only 1 run and now word whether in windowed or full screen mod.

G-Sync on/off, fast sync or v-sync off, also not known.

No word about Arma launcher settings, CPU cooler model, motherboard model, RAM model/capacity, Windows version, whether there were any programs running in the background...

AMD Ryzen 5 3D V-Cache coming in Q1 2022:

2021-10-12-image-31-j_1100.webp

I am so looking forward to this as well... and even 5800X is dropping to 299 USD/Euros...

I found this ADL 12700KF with DDR5 benchmarked with ARMA 3:

2v2nbi9ivqy71.png?width=3326&format=png&

@Valken it's normal that with E cores enabled in Win 10, performance is worse, because Win 10 is not designed to properly distribute load between P and E cores.

Win 11 performance with E cores on and off is same, since it is designed to properly distribute load between P and E cores.

Win 11 performance is lower vs. Win 10, only because one needs not to forget to disable VBS (virtualization-based security) in it, that reduces performance, similar to like when an antivirus scans your PC all the time in the background while you're playing a game.

Next result with my 12900K: 127.3 FPS

8 Performance cores at almost 5.4 Ghz (From CPU-Z: Core Speed 5386.8 MHz), HT off,  0 Efficiency Cores.

Arma3 2.06 doesn t like E Cores yet. They are negative for Performance also in W11.

MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4

3060Ti

G.Skill Ripjaws 4000 CL 14 2x8 in Gear 1 (but only Single Rank ) CL 14 Gear 1
From CPU-Z:

Memory Type            DDR4
Memory Size            16 GBytes
Channels            Dual
Memory Frequency        2061.7 MHz (1:31)
CAS# latency (CL)        14.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD)    15
RAS# Precharge (tRP)        15
Cycle Time (tRAS)        35
Bank Cycle Time (tRC)        50
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC)    724
Command Rate (CR)        1T
Uncore Frequency        4688.5 MHz
Memory Controller Frequency    2061.7 MHz
Host Bridge            0x4660

Cooler: NH-D15

W11 Pro - Clean Install
V-Sync and G-Sync: OFF

YAAB 1.02

Memory allocator CMA AVX1, Huge pages enabled

Full Screen Mode (1920x1080 on a 3440x1440, what a low res, but for benching it s okay)

P.S.: Do you need to see a photography of my benchtable?😀

I guess this record will be taken by someone who benches with DDR4 in Dual Rank not like I did with 2x8 GBsingle rank modules , but my 2x16GB Dual rank Kit sadly only runs at GEAR2 at 4 GHz.

Any advice on that?

12 hours ago, dadax said:

P.S.: Do you need to see a photography of my benchtable?😀

Post a screenshot of the YAAB results. 

In your original post, it is confusion with the statement of  "6 E-Cores 0 P Cores".

• Like 1

20211114202902_1-jpg.1146822

New result just in for ARMA 3 YAAB: 128.0 FPS

with 4.2 Ghz Cache/Ring as it is called by MSI instead of 2.9 Default value. Rest almost like above 8 P-Cores HT off, NO E-Cores enabled.
From another Forum I learned Cache/Ring Frequency is tied to the E-cores, if you don't disable the E-Cores you cannot overclock the Cache frequency well.

Minor Adjustments with MSI Dragon Ball 1.0.0.08.

Did seven standard Runs as a requested by GrooveC (those were at. 2.9 Ghz Cache/Ring, EDIT: and I found that I somehow left G-Sync on for those last seven

benchmark runs before, but as well as the cache increase I turned it off for the last one)

The picture is a little bit off/blurry because I run A3 for benchmarks in 1920x1080 on a 3440x1440.

@Valken

you are right I mixed up P=Performance Cores with E=Efficiency Cores in my previous post.

• Like 2

Hi there!

@dadax Since I consider myself to be in the market to maybe upgrade my CPU this or next cycle I'm really interested in your performance tests on ArmA!
My current system runs on an i7-7700K, oc''ed to 5GHz - so I presume there indeed is quite a bit of headroom to be gained these days, if I'm reading things right?

Could you please repeat your tests with higher, more realistic graphic settings, especially in regards to view distance?
1600m VD is perhaps suitable for KOTH-style CQB fighting, but for mil-sim ops or vehicle combat it would be utterly inadequate, given that the system apparently is more than capable of handling tough scenarios as they come up.

In bullet points - I would like to see:
1.) YAAB run with higher view distance (perhaps around 3-4km)
2.) YAAB run with higher overall graphics settings (not resolution - since atm, like most people, I am still gaming on good ol' 1920x1080 FHD)
3.) Info on further system specs, like what kind of SSD you're running things on, what's your GPU, what kind of cooling solution you resort to and what your CPU-temperatures are on average while gaming/ running YAAB tests
[4.) YAAB runs with higher resolutions, depending on what your GPU supports of course] 

Thank you so much in advance,
Love you guys!!

Bye ❤️

P.S: Long time lurker - I'd be also very much interested in hearing what you can report @Groove_C from your i9.
And while I'm at it - I just saw that you apparently own a 900p Optane - I presume you use it to game as well?
I would have the possiblity to get one on the cheap - sort of at least - 250 bucks for the 480gb model.
Would you recommend, you think I'd be worth it?
In terms of cost/ GB it would be way less cost effective than a regular NVMe drive still, that's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet - in theory though it sure sounds great for ArmA!
Already own a 512gb Samsung 960 EVO for OS + some games.

@Gwent_Addict any of 10th, 11th gen Intel or 3000/5000 AMD make no sense.

Also 12th gen Intel makes no sense, because of cooler requirements, motherboards prices and especially DDR5 prices and not that good performance.

Intel Optane SSD makes also no point, despite marginal at best difference, considering the price and capacity + place it needs/takes on the motherboard.

Something like a R5 5600X or R7 5800X, but with V-Cache + good DDR4 and a good B550 or X570S motherboard is what I would suggest, with a 240/280/360 mm AiO cooler, like EK-AiO Basic.

• Like 1

@Gwent_Addict welcome here 😎

From my point of view, your i7-7700K is still a good asset. Mine runs like clockwork at 4.5 GHz no matter what happens in Arma3.

I had a good experience with an R5 5600X which allows forgetting some faults of the game engine.

Still, I think if you can wait a bit, it would be nice to be able to choose between an AMD solution with the upcoming last generation Ryzen 5/7 featuring extended memory in 3D V-Cache but probably still on AM4 socket and an Intel solution supporting both an Alder Lake processor and DDR4 on an H670 motherboard at a more affordable price. In any case, we will have to wait until the first half of 2022.

@Gwent_Addict Your CPU @ 5GHZ is good enough. Learn to increase or OC your RAM speed and tighten up the latencies! That can boost the minimum FPS for ARMA for FREE.

And wait until the upcoming Ryzen CPU wth 3D vcache comes out in Q1 2022 then decide what to buy.

We all suspect that will dominate ARMA 3 if you need it.

To add to the discussion about the performance of the R5 5600X with Arma 3, I did a few runs on a bench platform using a 32 GB Ballistix 3600 C16 kit and a RTX 2060.

oXEZl4ml.jpg

These are "out of the box" performances, the only operation performed being the activation of the RAM XMP profile.

Custom settings are based upon The Old Bear method ™  ... 😎

CPU and RAM tuning can result in up to 50 min and avg FPS more, in 1080p standard video settings.

• Like 1

Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics            2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    32.0 GB (31.4 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Nvdia Geforce RTX 2060

Im sure it runs it, ive tried. but its the damn exit code Exit code: 0xC0000005 - STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION that keeps happening for me

He gets 128fps with overclocked 12900k and 4000CL14. I get 75 fps with stock 12600k and 4200CL18. Should the gap really be that big? What am I doing wrong?

Considering ordering a 4000CL15 kit for myself