Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Antonov now realeased baby!

I now have some good screen shots of the Antonov 124 in some airborne assault action. They are on a web page I'm setting up for a new mission I'm working on that uses the Antonov 124 cargo aircraft. The web page is at:

http://www.geocities.com/miles_teggd/SPETSNAZ.html

Hopefully this will get you mission makers all pumped up. Take your Ruskie paratroopers and go kick some ass with the Antonov 124!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Konyak-2 @ Oct. 20 2002,22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Gear retracting.. It's in the readme, only allows forward retracting, not inwards, and on top of that, it'd only retract the first set of wheels on each side.<span id='postcolor'>

Well i just saw this on another topic gears retracting to other directions than only forward.

Now this plane will rock even more biggrin.gif

Yeah, isn't it sweet?? Timings a bit off, but I'm already working on it, and other animations. Course, it'd be a 1.85 version only, so old one will still be there.

Keep you posted.

Konyak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Konyak-2 @ Oct. 23 2002,21:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, isn't it sweet??  Timings a bit off, but I'm already working on it, and other animations.  Course, it'd be a 1.85 version only, so old one will still be there.

Keep you posted.  

Konyak<span id='postcolor'>

Will you be working on animations for the static model ? biggrin.gif

This is the best plane I have seen in OFP/RES. I wish someone could make a C-130 with the ramp down just like it. One suggestion, I saw on the Higgins boat someone built that they had the troops standing up facing front. Now it you could figure out what they did to make it work, just turn the troops to the back and watch the ground go by as you wait to jump. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Oct. 24 2002,13:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm looks like Russian has stolen some American technology<span id='postcolor'>

...grinser022.gif

In reply to STS_SolidSnake, LOL! yeah, it looks like the black ops are trying to sneak onto and hijack that plane unnoticed. biggrin.gif

There appears to be only one link that still works to download it. confused.gif

And thats here

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Oct. 25 2002,21:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In reply to STS_SolidSnake, LOL! yeah, it looks like the black ops are trying to sneak onto and hijack that plane unnoticed.  biggrin.gif  

There appears to be only one link that still works to download it.  confused.gif

And thats here<span id='postcolor'>

LOL Aaah that reminds me the horse of troie? (sp?)

But it looks like their plan is working tounge.gif

Too bad that the plane can go thru buildings and trees i can land on a forest no problem sad.gif

correct spelling is trojan horse, yeah like, when they open the doors at the ither runway they get some american troops staring at them

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Oct. 25 2002,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Too bad that the plane can go thru buildings and trees i can land on a forest no problem  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That certainly doesn't happen here..  Yes, the wingtips can plow through the ground and trees, but the plane will crash when it hits a forest.  I've done it enough when taking screenshots and aren't looking where I'm going smile.gif

BTW;   gear is working now (and it crashes when trying to land gear up).  I am working on ramp animations, but I need your opinion:

I can have the ramp activated in a few ways.  

1.  Rear ramp opens when gear is lowered.  

2.  Add a user action so that it can be lowered independantly.

3.  Ramp opens when flaps are deployed.

The benefits from having it connected to an event like flaps or gears, is that you can do it in flight, anytime.   If it's a user action, you can only do it on the ground, (until BIS fixes that bug), or by script.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the flaps thing, because when paradropping, flaps will most likely go down, rather than the gear.  Drawback to that is that when AI lands, rear ramp will always be down (same if it were the gear).

If you can force AI to lower flaps by script, then it should be easy to have him realistically open rear ramp when coming to the drop zone.

I'd rather get input now than when I've gone and released this version smile.gif

Go here to see new screens of the gear in action:

Gear+5.jpg?bc2Uk49AjVr0nK0N

An124 photo album

Konyak

I really like this plane, its realy good.

Ummmmm I don't really know what would be best with the ramp coming down, probably the flaps. it doesn't really matter if the ramp comes down when the plane lands.

and, it SHOULD be down when the plane has landed shouldn't it.

Fantastic addon.

I think it should be user action. you could make it go down in mid air with scripts ?

I really like this addon. its most fun having a group of tomcats come and attack it and stuff,

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

finally , a version with functionnal landing gear , the original version simply didn't look right in flight

i've been thinking about an "open door" action for the cargo door ? since i don't think the rear door automaticaly opens during the landing procedure

and i want to keep the flaps for landing smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Konyak-2 @ Oct. 26 2002,14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That certainly doesn't happen here..  Yes, the wingtips can plow through the ground and trees, but the plane will crash when it hits a forest.  I've done it enough when taking screenshots and aren't looking where I'm going smile.gif

BTW;   gear is working now (and it crashes when trying to land gear up).  I am working on ramp animations, but I need your opinion:

I can have the ramp activated in a few ways.  

1.  Rear ramp opens when gear is lowered.  

2.  Add a user action so that it can be lowered independantly.

3.  Ramp opens when flaps are deployed.

The benefits from having it connected to an event like flaps or gears, is that you can do it in flight, anytime.   If it's a user action, you can only do it on the ground, (until BIS fixes that bug), or by script.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the flaps thing, because when paradropping, flaps will most likely go down, rather than the gear.  Drawback to that is that when AI lands, rear ramp will always be down (same if it were the gear).

If you can force AI to lower flaps by script, then it should be easy to have him realistically open rear ramp when coming to the drop zone.

I'd rather get input now than when I've gone and released this version smile.gif

Go here to see new screens of the gear in action:

An124 photo album

Konyak<span id='postcolor'>

Konyak, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it an independent action that can be set off by triggers.  Here is why:  

1.  How many mission makers will make SP missions where the player is the pilot?   Not very many because while the Antonov is indeed alot of fun to fly...  you can't blow stuff up with it and once you drop your cargo or paratroopers, the mission is done for the most part unless it becomes some kind of mission where you get shot down behind enemy lines or something.     For the most part players will be in the cargo section as paratroopers in most missions that use the Antonov.

2.  In the cargo section, the players will actually SEE the cargo doors opening from inside which would look extremely cool as long as it doesn't open and close every time the pilot decides to use the flaps or landing gear. A user action set off by a trigger could also allow a mission maker to set the plane with the cargo door open at the beginning of the mission.

3.  Also for multiplayer games where the doors are opened by a trigger, remember that triggers can be set off using a radio command when you hit the map key.   This is much better I think then trying to tie it in using flaps or landing gear because those two things you can't control if the AI is the pilot.  The AI pilots tend to use the flaps while turning or if their speed falls below a certain level...so you would end up having the cargo doors opening and closing at strange times during the flight.  Plus I'm not sure if it's possible to create a trigger that forces the AI to put down the flaps.  

4.  A independent animation set off by a trigger can be used by both AI and by players very easily.   A simple demo mission can be made showing beginner mission makers how to do this.  It's very very simple to do once you have an animation that can be commanded in such a way.   Veit (aka-KKB and not to be confused with VIT who's a different person) made a gate that opens in this matter and it works BEAUTIFULLY!

If you could make the cargo door work the way in which his gate opens and closes.  The gate is at:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?sekce=unofaddons/misc

KKB's addon might be worth studying in order to get some ideas.  It's a good addon as well if you don't already have it.

5.  Trigger based animations are extremely versatile all around and allow for maximum flexibility when making missions using the animations on your beautiful Antonov aircraft.   So PLEEEEEEEASE  make the cargo door animation an independent action that can be activated by both a user action or by a trigger.  

Keep up the great work!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

<span id='ME'><center>Jamesia agrees with Miles Teg</center></span>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Oct. 26 2002,17:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The AI pilots tend to use the flaps while turning or if their speed falls below a certain level...so you would end up having the cargo doors opening and closing at strange times during the flight.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL. biggrin.gif (Dunno why that's funny but it amused me with my warped sense of humour.)

I also completely agree with Miles. Gear and ramp should definitely be action menu controlled and independent to flaps if at all possible. Having them linked to the position of the flaps just wouldn't be realistic because of the way the AI would handle them, as Miles said. smile.gif

AN idea:In the static and troop versions maybe you could include an upper deck and in the static version maybe a ladder you can climb to get to the cockpit. wink.gif

I couldn't help but make some attractive images of this beautiful plane.....

(they make take a while to load)

Copy these URLS into your location bar if they bring up the annoying "FORTUNECITY" thing

http://members.fortunecity.com/jamesia999/sexy.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/jamesia999/sexy4.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/jamesia999/sexy5.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/jamesia999/sexy6.jpg