Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Antonov now realeased baby!

I've installed the 3 pbo files into my addon's folder, but in the game I can't seem to find the open Antonov?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

When i use the open antov in objects and i put things in it i cant seem to actully use the plane like get into the pilots seat sad.gif nice model though

Okay apparantly I am blind, and illiterate also! Thanks Ixian, lol can believe I missed it tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (THEJACKEL123 @ Oct. 20 2002,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've installed the 3 pbo files into my addon's folder, but in the game I can't seem to find the open Antonov?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks<span id='postcolor'>

Its in Object/empty/anatovaopen Its static so you cant fly it. Cant even blow it up I dont think. But you can make 3 different cutscenes showing it flying and landing and shit comin out lol. Its what im going to do as soon as i Can find a noob friendly camera script

since so many people are too lazy to read the damn readme that comes with the file I will do a mini review

pros: it looks great, handles good, ai flys it like a charm

cons: cockpit textures are bad, cant retract gear, no shadow, enemy planes wont fire on it, enemy anti air units wont fire on it, handles *too* smoothly, it kinda jumps every now and then when its parked.

it looks very very good and its very very large. I appluad the author of this and hopes the minior bugs will be cleared up in the future.

Ok, people seem to like it's looks.. that's what I'm good at, not configs, and I posted alot of questions to try and solve some of the problems before I released it.

1. Gear retracting.. It's in the readme, only allows forward retracting, not inwards, and on top of that, it'd only retract the first set of wheels on each side.

2. Flight handling.. I don't have a joystick, and I suspected it might be "fully aerobatic", but with a mouse and keyboard, it flies nicely and making it any more cumbersome would result in no AI landing. There's a AN-124 for FS 98 if you are looking for the realistic approach smile.gif

3. Sorry, the ReadMe was very hastily written, and I should have put in where to find the plane versions in game. Especially the static version.

4. Anti air units don't fire at it?? Well, I only tried it with the ADATS, and it sure brought it down in a hurry smile.gif I didn't test the infantry anti air, if that is what you mean.

Too bad the addon is useless for Kegetys, because the shadow doesn't turn up while it's on the ground. It does turn on around takeoff and landing, and don't know what is causing it to not show up all the time.

And the LODS.. well, I'll admit that I just wasn't sure if making the addon any bigger in mb by making many lods and textures for them, was better or worse than just having the relatively smaller addon, and one radical dropdown lod for the overload times. I have a 600 mhz machine with a geforce 1 running Resistance, and it hardly ever stuttered or resorted the second LOD. I live and learn though, so if I got things ass-backwards, lemme know smile.gif

If anyone makes nice scripted missions that use the plane, transport or paradrop or any other juicy purpose, I'd love to see it.

Konyak

PS: To the one who said the cockpit texures are bad, was it in the troop version or the regular version..? Troop version didn't have the completed cockpit.. just found out this morning! confused.gif (not happy with cockpit either way either smile.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Konyak-2 @ Oct. 20 2002,22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Gear retracting.. It's in the readme, only allows forward retracting, not inwards, and on top of that, it'd only retract the first set of wheels on each side.  <span id='postcolor'>

Try looking at the DKM bronco's. I dont know how they did it but the gear on them looks like it's taken straight up instead off the forwardretracting. About the thing with the first well set. Are all the wheels connected or are they single wheel sets?? Atfer looking i would say single after looking. So maybe if you connected them.

Nice job indeed on this addon regardless of the minor problems so I say keep up the good work and I have already thought up oover 20 ways to incorporate this into a mission so excellent job m8.

rap

Well I really like it. The model and exterior textures are very good. The cockpit textures are better than the C-130 ones so I don't really see how anyone can complain here, especially considering how hard such textures are to come by. Flight handling is probably the best balance between realism and gameplay - any more realistic and it would be impossible to take off, land, or fly without crashing all the time. The sound is accurate although possibly slightly too quiet from the outside. The only thing I would really like to see is retractable landing gear since it just looks wrong having the wheels out when in flight. I don't know if this can be acheived or not; maybe if the wheels were all part of one section which just rose up through the bodywork - the motion wouldn't look too realistic but what's important is having no wheels showing when airborne.

Anyway, great work Konyak. smile.gif

Just some problems: in the an198 closed version, from the inside you can see that the rear door is open, when it isnt. Also, when you put in more than 6 squads, the guys then just seem to sit in the top of the plane where there are no seats. In the Anatov open static versions, as well as the anatov troop version, you cant shoot inside of the plane, there seems to be a large mass inside the plane that doesnt let you shoot. The cockpit has bad textures inside, and the troop version has the side panel textures missing.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT TRYING TO MAKE FUN OF YOUR WORK, IT IS JUST CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISICM AS THIS IS A FIRST RELEASE!!!

NM about the cockpit textures, Munger's post was correct about that fact, textures are hard to find. wink.gif

Already starting to make some scenarios using this addon.  Been looking around at sites such as  ofpec.com etc for a good   ejection script that will eject the AI in the plane.  Don't like what I see so far.  Can someone write up a quick sqs for me to eject a AI squad from the plane.  Doing Doing this for an opening cutscene.

Update:  It's a little tricky getting the tanks to come out of the plane without stopping just have to move the waypoints a bit farther away from it.

Thanks for the feedback, I know it has problems and the ones I knew about, simply are beyond my to fix on my own. I no longer have access to the internet at home, so I can't browse through site after site or forum posts for hours to learn everything.

The main thing about the gear is that if it goes only straight forward, or up, it will stick out of the side of the plane. I tried it. Front wheels are fine, but the back ones are a problem. If BIS said, hey, do this and that and the wheels will go inwards, then I'd still have the problem of the gear doors closing.. or would it look ok if the doors were open still? Maybe this is why helicopter landing gear stays down..

I'd love for it to work, but I don't know how biggrin.gif

About the sound, I tried to make it real loud outside, but again, I simply didn't get it to do that.. There was a line: InsideSoundCoefficient = 0.8 or something like that, and it didn't seem to affect it until I got to zero, then it was silent inside smile.gif

About the shooting at the invisible wall in the open versions. Thanks for pointing that out.. hadn't found that. Definately to be fixed along with cockpit textures in Troop version.

About the open tail when sitting inside, when it's closed on the outside.. I mentioned this in the readme. Basically I thought it'd be petrifyingly boring to sit in a cargo bay with no windows and nothing to look at smile.gif

Again, thanks for the feedback, I don't mind it a bit, as long as it's not something that is covered in the readme.

Denoir.. Hammergeile screen dude smile.gif I have a screen of a cessna about to be devoured by the engine of the An, but I can't host it anywhere sad.gif

Konyak

I hope we also get a "mechanic" addon and a "sweet stewardess" addon. Then we need a vehicule like the little trolleys they push trough those planes and it shoot little alcoholic drinks and is refuled by a "tea and coffee" support truck...and then we need a "allllllaaaaaaahhhhh suicide unit" that can hijack enemy planes even if they allready full of enemy units... and then we need ...and.....and also....and dont forget...

Whoever mad that C130 plane I think it was they had the same kind of wheels i think and it retracted.

I think it's a really top bit of kit. Like the C130 it suffers a little from the size of the OFP maps but it still has great potential as a centrepiece for a mission. One question though, how many troops can it carry exactly? I tried ramming it with troops but couldn't get an accurate head count cos a few from each group were left outside.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Oct. 21 2002,01:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whoever mad that  C130 plane I think it was they had the same kind of wheels i think and it retracted.<span id='postcolor'>

It is very easy to make the gear retract on the C-130 the way it was modeled. It had no wheel covers or gear bay doors, and the model has bulbous wheel bays that the wheels can dissapear into if they are retracted up and forward.

Please rest assured that accomplishing the same on the Antonov is not possible without different retraction direction, and/or changing the shape of the plane and removing the wheel covers.

I'm through commenting on the gear thing unless BIS makes a famously short comment like.. "It is possible.. " smile.gif

I'm more interested in getting the shadow to work full time.

Konyak

doesnt it carry anything ie scuds and tanks ? i thought that was the point of this addon

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Keva @ Oct. 21 2002,18:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">doesnt it carry anything ie scuds and tanks ? i thought that was the point of this addon<span id='postcolor'>

Once again... it is NOT possible for aircraft or boats to carry other vehicles WHILE MOVING. That simply is a limitation of the BIS engine so it won't happen unless BIS makes an update patch for the game that allows vehicles to be carried inside other vehicles in the same way soldiers are.

To Konyak: Keep up the great work! As for the wheels, if it's not possible don't sweat it. But also even if you get the wheels up in a unrealistic way, that's still fine. I don't think many people would complain if the wheel covers don't move or if the wheels are a little bit out of place.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Newsflash!

Heads Up Kegetys: Shadow is now working, and I can say with some defiance, that it wasn't because I hadn't done the model correctly. It had the Lod's to do it, but the problem was ( and this took 4 hours to pin down) the OFP engine will not cast a shadow that size. I had to gradually scale down the wingspan, lenght and height till the shadow turned on. At one time it worked only from the side, but if I turned towards the sun, it would turn off smile.gif

Also fixed the troop cockpit, but I still don't get the troops to show up from the outside of the troop version.. I could use a tip on that one..

I also fixed the "invisible wall" on the Open version..

After many requests for working gear, I might make another gear version that would be included in the fixes... but it will take some funny stuff to pull off biggrin.gif

But I'm not putting out fixes till I get the troops to show up on the troop version.

How about some screenshots on this thread.. smile.gif Keep me motivated here smile.gif

Konyak

Good stuff Konyak, keep it up. smile.gif

Just wondering though, does that mean you are going to scale down the plane so that it will have a shadow? Please don't do this - IMO correct scaling is far more important than a shadow.

Hope you manage to get the landing gear to work.

Scale down the plane? Lord no. Just the LOD that casts the shadow.. it will be set so that it won't revert to it visually, but it's the one that casts the shadow. Only when directly up-sun or down-sun is it evidently smaller than the plane, but otherwise you hardly notice it.

Konyak