sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod v3.0 - ALPHA Released !!!

Hi fellas I am glad you guys are enjoying the "ALPHA RELEASE"..  OK now that being said...  From the beginning this is just an ALPHA for you guys to enjoy for the meantime, to let you know that Unsung is still going to be ported into Arma 3, while the team works on the other stuff to be ported ie CH-34, Hueys, M113's, and what not etc etc....  So we can eventually have a stable Unsung 3.0 Mod for Arma 3.  Also if you do not see it ingame....  It means it hasn't been included into the Alpha, Beta, Charlie, 300.....   Cheers.

Hi guys

just gave it a shot for the first time. Looks beautiful the terrain is awesome The thick jungle gives it really a claustrophobic feel. Well done. I will explore the map more in detail.

I was lately playing Unsung for ArmA 2 for the last 3 days or so and it is awesome. I was just wondering if it would be possible to get the ArmA 2 UNSUNG terrains into A3. I know it's a crazy thing but before you jump me consider the benefits. I got plenty of A2 missions on my HD ( did 2 small ArmA campaigns for the UNSUNG in ArmA 2 - released), never released them because they still need some work. I was working on the completion for the last 3 days. When complete I will release them for Arma 2. I got plenty of missions that could be ported over to ArmA 3 but the terrains are necessary to do that. I have tried to load ArmA 2 user terrains into ArmA 3 in conjunction with AiA terrain pack and they work 80% right out of the box with no config errors popping up. I didn't try the UNSUNG terrains because I didn't had the time so far but I don't believe it's going to work without problems. Yeah UNSUNG is special in everything. I have not much hope that you guys would even ever consider to port over the old terrains and even if so it would be last on your priorities which I do perfectly understand. I just grew fond of all the available maps in UNSUNG Arma 2 that's it. A bit of nostalgia. of an old UNSUNG fan.

You guys have come a long way. In OFP it was mostly the VTE mod at that time but from AA I remember UNSUNG to be the best Vietnam MOD created for the ArmA franchise. I have to admit that I've actually never tried UNSUNG in AA I missed that somehow. I played yesterday UNSUNG ArmA 3 for the first time and I'm impressed. I then played UNSUNG ArmA 2 and I remain impressed to that day. I recorded a video of it. Still to be edited and split up You tube won't let me load up videos longer than ten minutes and it's nearly an hour of game play.

I had a blast. I remember Vietcong the 1st one. I played it 2 times and it got me hooked. Unfortunately I have only an Italian version which is funny but it pisses me off at the same time. I tried to find the game in English to no avail. In any case I remember the awesome atmosphere this game had. Every time I fire up the UNSUNG it gives me the same feel the same thrill creeping in the Jungle. To the contrary Arma allows you to bring that to the next level. That's why we play this game.

I just wanted to thank you for all you efforts past, present and future of the UNSUNG team. This is one of the best MOD's ever created for ArmA and the best Vietnam era MOD ever created for a video game in history by non professional developers.

I'm sincerely grateful to all of you guys for having provided so much fun to me.

• Like 2

Hi Unsung team!

Very nice and awesome mod you've made. 

Here is a Swedish (unfortunately for people not speaking swedish) co-op mission with my clan Arma3Kronor and Anrop with ~25 players.

Joint Ops Nam -68 - Lost in the Jungle

P.s. If this would have happen to me IRL in Vietnam I'd shit myself and probably be so dead.

Thanks for sharing the mission rusty -good effort!

@nettrucker

Well we dont have a lot of the original terrains in unbinned form, otherwise we would have fixed and optimised them in 2.6

We all love SEA and lowlands and ia drang valley and cao bang, but im afraid they are stuck in A2.

Unless someone knows how to unbin an island and then convert it for A3 - and if you do "stand forward and make yourself known!"

We would have a lot of work for you!

We will be working with new people to build and test new terrains for A3, and especially keen to get our hands on the foliage pack for tanoa.

So i'm potentially gonna come across as stupid...but wasn't the purpose of the All in Arma Terrain pack to not only port over some Arma 2 maps but allow you to use any of the community made ones? Like Fullujah? Or have i missed something? Cause if not you could chat to those guys, or CUP seeing as they have released pretty much the same thing.

Thanks for sharing the mission rusty -good effort!

@nettrucker

Well we dont have a lot of the original terrains in unbinned form, otherwise we would have fixed and optimised them in 2.6

We all love SEA and lowlands and ia drang valley and cao bang, but im afraid they are stuck in A2.

Unless someone knows how to unbin an island and then convert it for A3 - and if you do "stand forward and make yourself known!"

We would have a lot of work for you!

We will be working with new people to build and test new terrains for A3, and especially keen to get our hands on the foliage pack for tanoa.

My last try in terrain editing is dating back to OFP times and warptool. It was a real pain in the back then. I'm more familiar with terrain editing with the cry engine rather than visitor. Moreover I have no  experience with visitor so unfortunately I can't be of any help here. My moddding skills are not up to the task to be any help to you guys. Moreover RL issues are preventing me to be a reliable member of any team. But I'm willing to do some experiments although I'm afraid it's not going to work outright of the box. LOL I gonna revert after having done a couple of experiments.Gotta take a look what happens if I'm using some of the 3pd objects pbo with the relevant terrain pbo's. Lets see what happens. I hope I ain't gonna blow my I7 to smithereens.

I gonna revert back

So i'm potentially gonna come across as stupid...but wasn't the purpose of the All in Arma Terrain pack to not only port over some Arma 2 maps but allow you to use any of the community made ones? Like Fullujah? Or have i missed something? Cause if not you could chat to those guys, or CUP seeing as they have released pretty much the same thing.

Yeah 80% in combination with AIA works right out of the box. I was able to load even some Armed Assault terrains into A3 I'm not kidding here. No config errors popping up. UNSUNG is a complete different animal though. The MOD team created their own 3d objects for the terrains. So basically your not wrong but UNSUNG is different. I need to do some testing.

Definitely the lightning and visual improvements of ArmA 3 is great but I'm still playing ArmA 2 very often and the UNSUNG in ArmA 2 is something amazing as well. Notwithstanding older graphics the atmosphere is spot on brutal.

cheers

Thanks a lot for your great work, the map and units looks so amazing! 

But i get a small problem, maybe someone can help me?

I upload the @UNSUNG Folder to my nitrado Server. When i join my server and start a small test-mission, i got some Error-Messages:

"you cannot play/edit this mission it is dependent on downloadable content" ... It looks like he have a problem with some units. The Map load it correctly, i can start a mission with some vanilla units. With zeus i can create some Charlies, but no GIs.

In Singleplayer or when i start host a own Mission everything is running correctly. So the problem is on the server, it feels like he cant load the whole mod.

I cant understand the problem, because i start Arma just with the unsung mod and i upload the mod 1:1 on the Server.

I hope someone can help me :) 
Best regards and thanks

What is the downloadble content it says u are missing?

Are you using cba as that is also a requirement

Eggbeast you are my hero :)

and shame on me...i was still wondering why on armaholic site stand "No addons required"  :)

Played with this yesterday with a few guys from my group, had a blast. We went on a patrol through the jungle to spring an ambush, then messed around by defending the radio relay station from waves of NVA. So much fun! Great job guys and can't wait for the beta!

Needed SP or MP mission-s for this mod. Have you got any?

Meanwhile: 

Are you using cba as that is also a requirement

...doesn't mention that anywhere.. but other than cba, are any other addons required?

I've played the opfor and arma 2 iterations of this mod and it was always my favorite, would love to see the initial piece of shit m16s make a return with the jamming mechanic like the opfor mod. Can't believe they told them those were self cleaning..

Since this has released with no missions it's inspired me to pick up the mission editor too, i've been messing around with it kinda trying to learn it on my own. Any guides I try to find are just video tutorials which I don't like. Is there a BI manual or text guide explaining all the hot keys and shortcuts and selections as well as all the possible actions...?? Last time I tried this kind of editing was with doom and GoldSrc when I was like 12~14

I'd really love to see stuff like napalm air strikes and the like, would love to build a mission something akin to the shitty build engine game NAM, a personal favorite.. and of course Platoon, FMJ, and apocalypse now inspired missions. a City conflict map is a must!  I happen to be close friends with a retired special forces veteran who served in vietnam as well and had a lot of interesting things to say that you usually don't hear about regarding this conflict..

Has anyone got a decent Dedicated MP compatible artillery script?  I used Bon Artillery on ArmA 2 Unsung 2.6, which is perfect as the grunts on the ground have to control their own artillery with grid coordinates and adjustment.

But i cannot for the life of me find anything like Bon, that is worth using.  The closest i have found is Drongo's artillery addon, but there are a number of problems and i would prefer to use a script solution.  Everything else seems to be simple click on map solutions, which just isn't as immersive as putting someone under pressure trying to figure out grids under fire.

Since this has released with no missions it's inspired me to pick up the mission editor too, i've been messing around with it kinda trying to learn it on my own. Any guides I try to find are just video tutorials which I don't like. Is there a BI manual or text guide explaining all the hot keys and shortcuts and selections as well as all the possible actions...?? Last time I tried this kind of editing was with doom and GoldSrc when I was like 12~14

Fortunately for you, you are on what is probably the best guide for everything you need. You just have to search the BI forums with the question you might have, and someone will have started a topic on it. There is also the specific category of editing that has a lot of the things you might be looking for. These forums are where i learnt to make missions. I hope this helps, and welcome to the forums  :)

We have tht system built into the A2 version of unsung, you just need to be patient

Hi guys

I have some really exciting news. I did some testing and I ported most of the UNSUNG A2 terrains into ArmA 3 together with AIA. I believe I'm still missing pbo's which contains stuff needed for the terrains. I had no error messages popping up. Runs out of the box. Watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA_yOXM2pvQ&feature=youtu.be

Now I made a new Modfolder and selected all pbo's that seemed to be terrain related. I'm sure I'm missing some, couldn't get Ia Drang valley to work. Now what could be done is to create a standalone addon for arma 3 with all the terrains in case you guys agree to do such a thing. We would need to contact every terrain maker and get their approval. If someone of the UNSUNG team is willing to cooperate in such an endeavor We could extract all terrain relevant pbo's and get only the terrain related items and re.pbo them to work as a standalone.

Now please bear with me You guys have invested years of hard work into UNSUNG ArmA 2 and the result was like "oooohhhhh yeeeeaaahhh". The community has moved over to ArmA 3 and it pains me to see all these beautiful creations laying waste so to speak. Since the ArmA platform allows you to do pretty much everything that comes to your mind it would be really great to get this little project done. Since I have no modding experience I suck at reading rpt files with that I need help.
Moreover can't find the UNSUNG skype channel does it still exist?

Cheers

See you in the jungle :681:

p.s. How the heck can I embed the video into this topic. I was away for 2 years or so and everything changed. WTF

I've played the opfor and arma 2 iterations of this mod and it was always my favorite, would love to see the initial piece of shit m16s make a return with the jamming mechanic like the opfor mod. Can't believe they told them those were self cleaning..

I'd really love to see stuff like napalm air strikes and the like, would love to build a mission something akin to the shitty build engine game NAM, a personal favorite.. and of course Platoon, FMJ, and apocalypse now inspired missions. a City conflict map is a must!  I happen to be close friends with a retired special forces veteran who served in vietnam as well and had a lot of interesting things to say that you usually don't hear about regarding this conflict..

There will be a whole new Arma 3 editor possibly as early as next  month. The 3D editor will completely replace the current 2D editor. Although many of the mechanics are the same, Triggers, Waypoint, etc., If you are learning new you should probably invest your time in learning that new editor. The Beta is out now and you can get it from the DEV branch of Arma 3.

Hi guys

I have some really exciting news. I did some testing and I ported most of the UNSUNG A2 terrains into ArmA 3 together with AIA. I believe I'm still missing pbo's which contains stuff needed for the terrains. I had no error messages popping up. Runs out of the box.

Now I made a new Modfolder and selected all pbo's that seemed to be terrain related. I'm sure I'm missing some, couldn't get Ia Drang valley to work. Now what could be done is to create a standalone addon for arma 3 with all the terrains in case you guys agree to do such a thing. We would need to contact every terrain maker and get their approval. If someone of the UNSUNG team is willing to cooperate in such an endeavor We could extract all terrain relevant pbo's and get only the terrain related items and re.pbo them to work as a standalone.

Now please bear with me You guys have invested years of hard work into UNSUNG ArmA 2 and the result was like "oooohhhhh yeeeeaaahhh". The community has moved over to ArmA 3 and it pains me to see all these beautiful creations laying waste so to speak. Since the ArmA platform allows you to do pretty much everything that comes to your mind it would be really great to get this little project done. Since I have no modding experience I suck at reading rpt files with that I need help.

Moreover can't find the UNSUNG skype channel does it still exist?

Cheers

Very interesting.

I wonder how AI treats the terrain? Do waypoints still work or does the AI get hopelessly lost, do bullets pass through buildings and trees? Do the roads work or do cars drive straight rather than follow the road? Things like that could be broken with your moving the map from Arma 2 to Arma 3.

It is very encouraging though. :)

Very interesting.

I wonder how AI treats the terrain? Do waypoints still work or does the AI get hopelessly lost, do bullets pass through buildings and trees? Do the roads work or do cars drive straight rather than follow the road? Things like that could be broken with your moving the map from Arma 2 to Arma 3.

It is very encouraging though. :)

Yeah It could be. I wasn't able to test thoroughly though. This was the first try ever to get those terrains loaded into ArmA 3 and it worked with less troubles than I've anticipated. I still need to do extensive testing. I'm already glad that I could get the terrains loaded. I will give more feedback once I've done some more testing.

cheers   :)

p.s. Bullet penetration is actually implemented in ArmA 3 watched a video about it I'm quite impressed so therefore it should be possible. I don't know if it works with these terrains though.

I believe the AiA project is dead and has been taken up by the CUP team (CUP Terrains). You might be better to test with that as that is what will be used by the community going forward.

Hi guys

I have some really exciting news. I did some testing and I ported most of the UNSUNG A2 terrains into ArmA 3 together with AIA. I believe I'm still missing pbo's which contains stuff needed for the terrains. I had no error messages popping up. Runs out of the box. Watch the video below.

I believe the AiA project is dead and has been taken up by the CUP team (CUP Terrains). You might be better to test with that as that is what will be used by the community going forward.

Yeah I know. It was a first try. I need to do more testing especially with the CUP terrains. hadn't had the chance to do it for the time being, gonna report back when tested. The only thing I actually did was only loading them into Arma 3 that's it.

cheers

Will you guys be using assets from the upcoming arma 3 expansion by anychance? since it has a jungle setting and all...

Will you guys be using assets from the upcoming arma 3 expansion by anychance? since it has a jungle setting and all...

Will have to see what we can use, but the foliage I'm guessing will be used in new upcoming maps down the track

On that note we are seeking map makers to recreate some areas of Nam for future releases, anyone interested pls contact me or bigstone