Sign in to follow this  
sudayev

Russia and China have cracked Snowden's files!

Britain has pulled out agents from live operations in "hostile countries" after Russia and China cracked top-secret information contained in files leaked by former U.S. National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden
Snowden said encrypted files were secure

Not ANYMORE, moreover Snowden lied about it's existence. Now both Russia and China gained serious knowledge on UK the US way of secret operations!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/06/14/uk-britain-security-idUKKBN0OT0XJ20150614

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33125068

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-china-crack-edward-snowden-files-u-k-pulls-out-spies-report-1.3112907

Should this really come as a surprise? I mean he stayed in Hong Kong and then Moscow. Neither of them are in the business of charity so he had to give them something in return if he wasn't working for them in the first place.

Did you guys miss this?

Background info on US spies, military stolen by hackers

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/12/fed-hackers-have-info-on-cia-nsa-military/

So far this just sounds like a cover story for their own leaks.

In addition in case you actually read the source, reuters, it says as well:

The revelations about the impact of Snowden on intelligence operations comes days after Britain's terrorism law watchdog said the rules governing the security services' abilities to spy on the public needed to be overhauled.

Conservative lawmaker and former minister Andrew Mitchell said the timing of the report was "no accident".

"There is a big debate going on," he told BBC radio. "We are going to have legislation bought back to parliament (...) about the way in which individual liberty and privacy is invaded in the interest of collective national security.

"That's a debate we certainly need to have."

Cameron has promised a swathe of new security measures, including more powers to monitor Briton's communications and online activity in what critics have dubbed a "snoopers' charter".

Britain's terrorism laws reviewer David Anderson said on Thursday the current system was "undemocratic, unnecessary and - in the long run - intolerable".

He called for new safeguards, including judges not ministers approving warrants for intrusive surveillance, and said there needed to be a compelling case for any extensions of powers.

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

WOW. I seriously hope the U.S. goes to war if they continue to harbor Snowden, and I hope they make Russia suffer.

WW3 with atomics .. sounds like a good idea :rolleyes:

Well Call of Duty has taught us that sending in 4 brave us marines will be totally enough to prevent any russian nukes from launching and put up a us flag on kremlin, so no problem there.

Oh and Im sure that all the mighty deeds of our brave marines will be broadcasted on TV without interruptions and the supply of popcorn will be endless. War is Fun! Go 'Murica! About time US have exported death and destruction somewhere else again.

Edited by negah

The only source for that story is Ruppert Murdoch's The Sunday Times, and it's like a fireworks display all over. Are there still people falling for this stuff?

(...)

The Sunday Times today merely recycled the same evidence-free smears that have been used by government officials for years – not only against Snowden, but all whistleblowers – and added a dose of sensationalism and then baked it with demonstrable lies. That’s just how western journalism works, and it’s the opposite of surprising. But what is surprising, and grotesque, is how many people (including other journalists) continue to be so plagued by some combination of stupidity and gullibility, so that no matter how many times this trick is revealed, they keep falling for it. If some anonymous government officials said it, and journalists repeat it while hiding who they are, I guess it must be true.

UPDATE: The Sunday Times has now quietly deleted one of the central, glaring lies in its story: that David Miranda had just met with Snowden in Moscow when he was detained at Heathrow carrying classified documents [when infact he had been to Berlin instead]. By “quietly deleted,†I mean just that: they just removed it from their story without any indication or note to their readers that they’ve done so (though it remains in the print edition and thus requires a retraction). That’s indicative of the standard of “journalism†for the article itself. Multiple other falsehoods, and all sorts of shoddy journalistic practices, remain thus far unchanged.

note added

[The Intercept] The Sunday Times’ Snowden Story is Journalism at its Worst — and Filled with Falsehoods

Edited by gammadust
note added

Should this really come as a surprise? I mean he stayed in Hong Kong and then Moscow. Neither of them are in the business of charity so he had to give them something in return if he wasn't working for them in the first place.
What's worse, the idea that he gave up the keys or the possibility that they cracked the code without him? Because I dare suggest that the latter is more threatening than the former...

Edward Snowden 'smeared by UK officials

Claims that Russia and China have accessed documents stolen by Edward Snowden are

a "smear" by "cowards" inside the UK government, a journalist who worked with the whistleblower says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33131173

Sunday Times reporter on Snowden story: We don’t have a clue!

Harper is the lead reporter on a Sunday Times story alleging that Russia and China

have “cracked†files that were “stolen†by Edward Snowden, a turn of events that forced MI6 to reassign some agencies in key countries.

Asked how the files were breached, Harper responded, “I don’t know the answer to that.â€

Asked about the nature of the files, Harper responded, “That’s not something we’re clear on, so we don’t go into that level of detail in the story. We just publish what we believe to be the position of the British government at the moment.â€

Asked whether the files were hacked or whether Snowden handed them over to officials in Hong Kong or Russian, Harper responded, “I’m sorry to repeat myself…but we don’t know…it could be either, it could be another scenario.â€

Asked whether the MI6 agents were under threat or were moved for precautionary purposes, Harper responded, “Again, I’m afraid to disappoint you, we don’t know.â€

Asked as far whether the Sunday Times had any evidence to substantiate these claims, Harper responded, “No. We picked up on the story a while back from an extremely well-placed source in the home office.â€

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2015/06/15/sunday-times-reporter-on-snowden-story-we-dont-have-a-clue/

..........wtf:confused:

Edited by oxmox

His documents were encrypted but they weren't completely secure and we have now seen our agents and assets being targeted

What a load of bullshit. I may be overly skeptical sometimes, but in this case I'm sure 99.999% it's bullshit. First of all, who has the files and how did they get them? If they got it then to decrypt it they'd have to either 1) get they key, 2) brute force the key or 3) find a flaw in the algorithm. 2) is out of question because Edward lectured journalists to whom he handed the files on strong cryptography, 3) would mean that some algorithms recommended by NIST on which even US military relies are now useless. So 1) is the only realistic option but that's not really what he's saying, is it? That'd mean that some journalist gave it away or they managed to steal it from her computer. I doubt that.

IIRC Edward didn't even intend to stay in Russia and traveling with such burden seems pretty stupid when it's in hand of journalists already. So I don't think he could exchange it for his asylum. But again, that's not what the source is saying.

Edited by batto

WOW. I seriously hope the U.S. goes to war if they continue to harbor Snowden, and I hope they make Russia suffer.

Slight bit of an over reaction...aside from the history lessons that you don't invade Russia (courtesy of Napoleon and Hitler), what does pointless goading solve.

Besides, nobody wants the US and Russia to go to a legitimate war, it could very well be the end of the world, and I don't know about you but I like not having to worry about atomic bombs dropping on my head at any time, neither side is equipped to go to war with the other on their own home turf.

more than an over reaction....going to war with a nuclear power, is he out of his mind ?

Edited by oxmox

4) This anti Snowden non-story – even the Sunday Times admits there is no evidence anybody has been harmed – is timed precisely to coincide with the government’s new Snooper’s Charter act, enabling the security services to access all our internet activity. Remember that GCHQ already has an archive of 800,000 perfectly innocent British people engaged in sex chats online.
Pretty much my thinking, and Andrew Mitchell (quoted in the Reuters article) outright stated as much about the timing, though I say that it's the specific tie to Snowden that is the "hit piece" portion of the story.

Slight bit of an over reaction...aside from the history lessons that you don't invade Russia (courtesy of Napoleon and Hitler), what does pointless goading solve.

Besides, nobody wants the US and Russia to go to a legitimate war, it could very well be the end of the world, and I don't know about you but I like not having to worry about atomic bombs dropping on my head at any time, neither side is equipped to go to war with the other on their own home turf.

more than an over reaction....going to war with a nuclear power, is he out of his mind ?

Pssst, its supposed to be sarcasm.

Encryption “would not have helped†at OPM, says DHS official - Attackers had valid user credentials and run of network, bypassing security

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/06/encryption-would-not-have-helped-at-opm-says-dhs-official/

But when pressed on why systems had not been protected with encryption prior to the recent discovery of an intrusion that gave attackers access to sensitive data on millions of government employees and government contractors, she said, "It is not feasible to implement on networks that are too old."

Lots of fun details.. sadly its probably not really better in other (EU) countries either.