Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Man dies after 86 hours non-stop gaming

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ Oct. 10 2002,15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wasn´t there some time ago a similar incendent that lead to the death of a young asian that played to long on a comp in a i-net cafe, Taiwan or something?<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I believe so, and also speed was involved, either he'd taken it himself or "allegedly" some asian internet cafes supposedly spike drinks with it to keep their customers playing.......

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 10 2002,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah I believe so, and also speed was involved, either he'd taken it himself or "allegedly" some asian internet cafes supposedly spike drinks with it to keep their customers playing.......<span id='postcolor'>

Ha, in internet cafes, they spike your drinks to keep you awake and playing/paying. But in bars and clubs, they spike your drinks to knock you out so you can be taken advantage of.

The longest I've ever stayed awake was about 46 hours, after driving 18 hours and then partying. I blacked out here and there after 24-36 hours, and totally passed out at the 46 hour mark. A week afterward, i was still having a hard time staying awake in the middle of the day.

I would never abuse my body like that ever again. It's just not worth it. And sitting in front of a computer for 86 hours just is plane wrong.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ Oct. 10 2002,07:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

I´d say give them a job, girlfriend or other hobbys that get them away from the comp once in a while, cause that is just sick.<span id='postcolor'>

Where do I sign up? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 09 2002,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...the cafe owners should take some responsibility for this....<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think its anyones responsibility to watch out for those who are unwilling to watch out for themselves...our legal system here in the US has been turned on its side too many times with people trying to blame everyone else besides themselves...case in point...the lady that sued McDonalds because the coffee was too hot and she burned her lap while driving with it. It take a complete moron to not realize that if you spill coffee on yourself your going to get burned, let alone the fact that driving with it is just multiplying the odds that it WILL spill...but then to sue the establishment that sold it too you because it was too hot is just plain ignorant. (the lady won her suit by the way and it is my oppinion that both she and the judge that ruled in the case have done dammage to the crdibility of the legal system in general). This is akin to this man who spent 80+ hours at a computer...I cannot be convinced that he didnt have any inclination that this would be harmful in some way. He made the choice to ignore the physical symptoms and his common sence both and he paid the ultimate price for it. I do not wish harm on others for ANY reason and see this as an unfortunate occurance, but I also dont agree that ANYONE else should take responsibility for this mans actions other than himself.

Yes, I totally agree with Suchey... it may have been "nice" for the cafe owner to give him some advice and talk to him, and it would have been "nice" to call an ambulance after 60-80 hours... but it should not be required to monitor someones sleep and food levels. This is why everyone is born with an instinct to eat and sleep... basically he commited suicide in a way that was hard to spot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Major Fubar Posted on Oct. 10 2002,08wow.gif5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a heads-up: if this turns into a gun control debate, the mods will lock it. <span id='postcolor'>

Is this another one of the "rules" the mods make up as they go? Or are we supposed to be able to read their minds?

Seems like a reasonable subject to squabble over. Maybe not on this thread, so I'll leave out my support of a persons right to own firearms for another time.

I don't believe it is in the off-topic rules, but then again so many rules are not posted in that thread.

I hope my discussion of off-topic rules is not a violation of a rule that is not posted.?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?

Just trying to play by the rules. smile.gif

Wasn`t there already another incident before involving this over in south korea and one where the guy stabbed his opponent for some reason or another.

Interesting how some of u are so quick to look down one type of extreme sporting yet others are perfectly fine.

86 hours RAH!! hardcore biggrin.gif

I dont even think i could play 24 hours, not even 12 hours, so i dont see how he could play for 3 days straight.

What game was he playing? confused.gif I think any game would become dull along time before 3 1/2 days.

The only game you can play for more than 86 hours is OFP. biggrin.gif  tounge.gif

Anyways. I never play for more than 10 hours. The longest time i've ever played was 20 hours. That was back in June 2001, when i got OFP. I just couldnt beat After Montignac. biggrin.gif

Longest I played a game was 6 hours.

and yes, it was OFP 1985 campaign.(i finished some missions, but not all)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Oct. 10 2002,19:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 09 2002,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...the cafe owners should take some responsibility for this....<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think its anyones responsibility to watch out for those who are unwilling to watch out for themselves...our legal system here in the US has been turned on its side too many times with people trying to blame everyone else besides themselves...case in point...the  lady that sued McDonalds because the coffee was too hot and she burned her lap while driving with it.  It take a complete moron to not realize that if you spill coffee on yourself your going to get burned, let alone the fact that driving with it is just multiplying the odds that it WILL spill...but then to sue the establishment that sold it too you because it was too hot is just plain ignorant.  (the lady won her suit by the way and it is my oppinion that both she and the judge that ruled in the case have done dammage to the crdibility of the legal system in general).  This is akin to this man who spent 80+ hours at a computer...I cannot be convinced that he didnt have any inclination that this would be harmful in some way.  He made the choice to ignore the physical symptoms and his common sence both and he paid the ultimate price for it.  I do not wish harm on others for ANY reason and see this as an unfortunate occurance, but I also dont agree that ANYONE else should take responsibility for this mans actions other than himself.<span id='postcolor'>

But that's like saying a pub should keep serving alcohol to someone who is drunk until they die of alcohol poisoning, then say "oh, it's not our fault, he kept asking for a drink, so we kept serving him".

Yes, it is primarily the responsibility of the individual, but the establishment should exerceise some common sense too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Oct. 11 2002,00:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Major Fubar Posted on Oct. 10 2002,08wow.gif5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a heads-up: if this turns into a gun control debate, the mods will lock it. <span id='postcolor'>

Is this another one of the "rules" the mods make up as they go?  Or are we supposed to be able to read their minds?

Seems like a reasonable subject to squabble over.  Maybe not on this thread, so I'll leave out my support of a persons right to own firearms for another time.

I don't believe it is in the off-topic rules, but then again so many rules are not posted in that thread.

I hope my discussion of off-topic rules is not a violation of a rule that is not posted.?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?confused.gif?

Just trying to play by the rules. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, it's not listed in the rules, I'm going from past comments.

I was just trying to warn people...if you wanna debate guns, go ahead.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 11 2002,07:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was just trying to warn people...if you wanna debate guns, go ahead.<span id='postcolor'>

and if anyone does, i'll lock this thread.

He was playing Everquest? So they "spike the drink to keep players awake and playing? If it were Bf1942 they would have to put even more speed in the drinks to keep players awake and playing! LOL. I know I'm terrible. The longest I've ever played a game was a stock market game for about 24 hours with meals [2]. tounge.gif I've played Red Faction online for about 8+ hours. Hehehe! Wow what fun. Oh and flight simulator was my big addiction [still is] of my misspent youth. I was on Flight Simulator by Microsoft 100 hours [off and on one time]! biggrin.gif What a sicko I am. tounge.gif

This guy should be in the gamers hall of fame(if there was one),also the dumbass hall of fame. smile.gif

Lucky it didn't happen in the USA. The family would already be instigating a court case against the game maker, the cafe, and anyone else who happened to be convenient.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 12 2002,09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lucky it didn't happen in the USA. The family would already be instigating a court case against the game maker, the cafe, and anyone else who happened to be convenient.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah,plus the guy would be big as a house and they would have to bring in a crane to pull his fat ass out. smile.gif

This is more common than anyone would like be think. No matter what time of the day I find time to log into Neverwinter Nights online, there's a couple of people who are ALWAYS there, no matter if it's day, night, monday or friday. I'm sure they LIVE there tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Oct. 12 2002,09:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Oct. 12 2002,09:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lucky it didn't happen in the USA. The family would already be instigating a court case against the game maker, the cafe, and anyone else who happened to be convenient.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah,plus the guy would be big as a house and they would have to bring in a crane to pull his fat ass out. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ Oct. 12 2002,14:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is more common than anyone would like be think. No matter what time of the day I find time to log into Neverwinter Nights online, there's a couple of people who are ALWAYS there, no matter if it's day, night, monday or friday. I'm sure they LIVE there tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Have you ever tried to chat with them? Maybe they are dead long ago and their PC is still running wow.gif

But I have also noticed some people who are always logged in on a game server, whenever I join in.

smile.gif

I also read an article about internet game addiction some weeks ago. So it seems to be not such an uncommon problem...

86 hours? Asians are weak, I can beat that, I will be back in a couple of days. If you dont hear anything from me anymore you know that I am the new owner of the record, maybe dead, but lucky. Maybe the autopsy can find out how long I stayed alive and playing.

Mmmhh, but what game to choose? I havent touched Neverwinternights for a few weeks (got bored) maybe I download a few episodes and.... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ Oct. 11 2002,15:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is more common than anyone would like be think. No matter what time of the day I find time to log into Neverwinter Nights online, there's a couple of people who are ALWAYS there, no matter if it's day, night, monday or friday. I'm sure they LIVE there  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Talk about pathetic losers, i bet they all are computer nerds who spend their whole damn youth behind their comuter just so they can be in the top 100 and brag about it to their internet friends (=only friends confused.gif)