Gudsawn

Unit SFX - Body fall sounds & hit screams

Hi there!

I don't want to be annoying, but I think it would have been better to have separate links for misterGoodson & Lordprimate versions. Don't mistake me, I'm glad to see this being worked on, but seen as the original one has always been working flawlessly for me and that I do prefer the original settings, it would have been nice to leave v1.02 available somewhere.

So there are 2 versions (misterGoodson & Lordprimate.)? Any diferences?

No there's only one, wich completely replaces the original version. ;)

I don't want to be annoying, but I think it would have been better to have separate links for misterGoodson & Lordprimate versions. Don't mistake me, I'm glad to see this being worked on, but seen as the original one has always been working flawlessly for me and that I do prefer the original settings, it would have been nice to leave v1.02 available somewhere.

I think I completely agree with you. I was in fact thinking the same thing after I updated the pages today. So...I have fixed that now and Lordprimate's version now has its own pages.

I have reverted mistergoodson's pages to his own latest version (1.02).

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Unit SFX - Body fall sounds & hit screams - Lordprimate Edit v1.03

Warning Message: Script \mrg_unit_sfx\functions\fn_unit_sfx_killed.sqf not found

Warning Message: Script \mrg_unit_sfx\functions\fn_unit_sfx_hit.sqf not found

In menu, on missions.

I think this mod requires the filePatching switch, I hope Lordprimate can provide us a version that doesn't require it :/

hmm i dont get that error ill look into it.. 

I dont know wny this would use file patching this is a client side only mod. and there is NO user config to set up. 

and i wouldnt know how to do that anyway sorry. 

but ill look into the error.

edit

ok it seems that the file i complied and uploaded didnt get built correctly with the addon builder going to reupload sorry for the inconvenience. honestly triple checked this ... probably too much booze

Thanks foxhound for the page fix i didnt want to overwrite and deleate the original version 1.02

but seen as the original one has always been working flawlessly for me and that I do prefer the original settings, 

im glad it worked perfectly for you , but i like immersion.

1. Dead bodies dont scream. the og mod has this me no likey

2. The volume of the screams at 150m killed my immersion. they sounded like there were no more then 50m away.   I used ACRE2  these screams were louder then a human using acre2 at 150m. that had to be fixed.  im attempting to fine tune the audio here i may bring it back up to 150 once i find the best volume.

3. say vs say3D.... 

4. There was unfinished code that wasn't being used.. now when a body falls in sand you get a Sand sound instead of a concrete sound :)

5.Only 15 of the over 100 screams were being used so i added about 20 more.

everyone has their preference. I hope you at least give this version a try (after i fix it... Sorry) 

there is a detailed changelog in my post with the update 1.03 all differences are there

and there should be the two different versions again! like it should be.

FILE INBOUND TESTING NOW

I will test it mate. ;)

The only thing that bothers me with your settings, is the fact that you removed the screaming from dead units : say3d can't trigger on dead units, meaning that you probably won't hear anything if you oneshot your target.

I totally get that it's not 100% realistic, but I just like the added audio feedback.

if you one hit yes, in my current testing i have had ai start screeming and get cut off when the next shot kills them. its like in acre when someones talking to you and there shot mid word. their audio cuts right out. again as we both agree its up to personal preference. I have moved the distance back to 150m for the screams and actually in my testing i have increased the body fall sound to 75m. I am currently tweeking volumes.

if you can think of any places in stratis that has wood floors please let me know im currently teleporting around looking for a wood surfacetype. because there is a wood bodyfall sound. also currently looking at how to implement water body falling sounds for Shallow water. or if anyone knows an up to date surfaceType List. that would be great!!

• Like 1

I am extremely sorry for the the last hosted file. It was missing the functions folder some how... anywho with out further adu I had made a few more amendments. I hope you like

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s8pkmhg3b1z51e8/%40mrg_units_sfx.7z

v1.04
- Increased hit scream audibility from 100m up to 200m.
- Reduced hit scream volume 3 more db.
- Increased body fall audibility from 45 up to 150m.
- Reduced body fall volume several db. (10 i think i have to check to be sure)
- Reduced EyePos height requirement for timing of bodyfall sound.

should i start my own thread?? its the same mod just slightly tweeked.

I am extremely sorry for the the last hosted file. It was missing the functions folder some how... anywho with out further adu I had made a few more amendments. I hope you like

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s8pkmhg3b1z51e8/%40mrg_units_sfx.7z

v1.04
- Increased hit scream audibility from 100m up to 200m.
- Reduced hit scream volume 3 more db.
- Increased body fall audibility from 45 up to 150m.
- Reduced body fall volume several db. (10 i think i have to check to be sure)
- Reduced EyePos height requirement for timing of bodyfall sound.

should i start my own thread?? its the same mod just slightly tweeked.

No Problem! Everyone makes mistakes - only people who dont make them - are people who dont do anything. I'l test it today around for ~2 hours when i'll back home.

Hi,

I just saw another released version (edited) on Armaholic and have a suggestion which I am going to share with you. I'm not sue if it has been suggested before or not but why not make the hit scream audibility range, hit scream level and the others configurable by the client? I'm not sure if this would give an unfair advantage (in PvP game-modes) to the player but you could add a server-side script which sets a limit (changes their variable to the maximum one until disconnection) to everyone who has the mod running. Just an idea. If it was me though, I would do this completely different:

I would re-create the whole thing as a server-side mod only that uses EHs, commands and scripts which broadcast to players and JIP. A mission script version could also be made too.

Again, these are just suggestions/ideas. Anyway, very good work on the mod and thank you for sharing it!

Lordprimate

You shouldn't remove "time" check in waitUntil command. (ASLToATL(eyePos _unit) select 2) is always > 1 when _unit is in building on the 2nd floor (e.g.). So if such _unit is killed you'll have infinite waitUntil.

Lordprimate

You shouldn't remove "time" check in waitUntil command. (ASLToATL(eyePos _unit) select 2) is always > 1 when _unit is in building on the 2nd floor (e.g.). So if such _unit is killed you'll have infinite waitUntil.

shit i honestly didnt think about that... ill put that back in!! asap and reupload

your totally right 

sadface...

Hi,

I just saw another released version (edited) on Armaholic and have a suggestion which I am going to share with you. I'm not sue if it has been suggested before or not but why not make the hit scream audibility range, hit scream level and the others configurable by the client? I'm not sure if this would give an unfair advantage (in PvP game-modes) to the player but you could add a server-side script which sets a limit (changes their variable to the maximum one until disconnection) to everyone who has the mod running. Just an idea. If it was me though, I would do this completely different:

I would re-create the whole thing as a server-side mod only that uses EHs, commands and scripts which broadcast to players and JIP. A mission script version could also be made too.

Again, these are just suggestions/ideas. Anyway, very good work on the mod and thank you for sharing it!

sounds like you know what your doing... i would suggest to do it because all of that is out of my league... I am not a good scripter as you can see by all the simple errors i have made over the past few days, with this simple mod.. 

I was actually thinking that to put this on a server and have it work for everyone would be best but i don't know how to do all that... 

about the userconfig, i dont agree. I think the audio should be fine tuned so that it is realistic as possible IE appropriate volumes up close and a nice distant scream far away. 

If i had my way It would be built to use the hit part detection and based on where someone was hit and how much damage it did you would get a totally different scream, or grunt... the more damage the louder the scream, IE high caliber bullet to the chest-loud scream; arm grazed by a fragment-low volume grunt. etc. . but thats beyond me. Eventhough I have an IDEA how to do it i can try... it wouldnt work for me to do it.

Just a FYI.

Variable suggested Lord Jarhead to add the missing sounds that he keeps track on and I thought it would fit this addon as well (maybe in collaboration with Lord Jarhead to avoid duplicated work).

Thanks for sharing your progress LJ.

I was wondering, maybe you would like to add some of the missing sounds if that is even possible?I think that it could make the mod even more awesome than it is. It's a list I maintained for a while on the Audio Tweaking thread.

List of missing sounds:
Infantry

• Going into boresight view.
  • Turning on and off rifle flashlight/IR pointer
  • Turning on GPS
  • Sounds of turning on and off NVGs - for god's sake, Zeus even has one!
  • Sound of falling bodies.
  • Screams when getting hit
  • No sound during parachuting (wind, parachute fabric)
  • No sound for turning (volume should grow louder according to turn speed)

Armour, Aircraft and Vehicles

• Sounds for switching on and off view modes in weapon sights
  • Sounds for switching between optics modes and zoom levels in gunner and commander sights
  • No sound for entering and exiting tanks, vehicles and aircrafts
  • Sound for knocked down trees
  • Sound for squashed bushes
  • Sound for impacting humans
  • Sound for impacting walls
  • Sound for impacting rocks
  • Sound for moving tank tracks and their friction with the ground (there's only the engine sound).
  • Turning headlights on and off
  • Splash sound when wheels impact a waterline (it was in OFP)
  • Sound for movement of fixed MG/GMG
  • No voice notification of events during the flight. e.g.: Low fuel, Over G, Altitude, Pull up, low speed etc.

/KC

• Like 2

just a small point.... has anyone actually Contacted Goodson to see if he was ok with you guys pulling his mod apart ? Just saying :-)

His license does not leave much room for any other thought. :)

yes, but why would the ORIGINAL be changed.. surely you'd fork it ?

yes, but why would the ORIGINAL be changed.. surely you'd fork it ?

It's still available on Armaholic; but I guess it would be a good idea to start a new thread for LP's version.

serjames read first post please...

Licence
Feel free to take this mod and improve on it/use it in your own mod

serjames you should take the time to read before you post...... seriously....

there is my tweeked version and there is the OG version... and how the world do I "fork" something that is NOT on any of those GIT websites.... i mean come on.. really dude... 

I have asked if i should create my own post as i wasnt sure. I have now started my own thread Please dont clutter this thread up with posts about my edit. 

I do enjoy this mod, but years of playing Postal 2....I am disappoint, I must admit. I would greatly appreciate an "extreme option," maybe something in which AI of lower skill screams for their mothers, cries on non-fatal hits, the Red Orchestra screams, that sort of thing. PTSD inducing.

Regardless, thanks!

• Like 2

serjames read first post please...

Licence

Feel free to take this mod and improve on it/use it in your own mod

serjames you should take the time to read before you post...... seriously....

I think Serjames' comment is aimed more at the PwS guys and not you - they shouldn't have overwritten my original mod with your version. Instead, there should be two separate versions on Six - my version, and your one.

@sonsalt6 - Please can you rollback @unit_sfx to the last version posted on the first post of this thread (v1.02). For Lord Primate's edit of the mod, please put this on Six as a separate mod (e.g. @unit_sfx_lordprimate). Thank you  ;)