Sign in to follow this  
manzarek

The new remoteExec command

Hello,

I have some questions about the new remoteExec commands

In the wiki you can read:

While any function can be used, only commands defined in CfgRemoteExecCommands and functions defined in CfgRemoteExecFunctions are supported.

So any function can be used or only functions defined in CfgRemoteExecFunctions ?

Plus why does it says

Doesn't execute function on dedicated server 

I tought this function was made to do that?

Is this function better than using publicvariableserver/client with the function name and paramaters and having a publicvariableeventhandler calling/spawning the function?

Thank you

Hi Manzarek,

Current functionality is work in progress, but in the future, you will be able to disable remoteExec, or have it only working with commands/functions defined in config/description.ext.

About the note about dedicated server is there because it currently is not fully working because of it's wip nature.

@Neo,

Is the whitelist only applicable to scripting commands, or can we add our own lists of approved functions in there to execute on the other side as well?

So either:

CfgRemoteExecWhiteList {
"sideChat",
"setDamage",
"setDir",
"setHitPointDamage"
};

Or:

CfgRemoteExecWhiteList {
"sideChat",
"setDamage",
"bis_fnc_prepareAO",
"myTag_fnc_networkEffectThing"
};

Thx

Scratch that, just found it added to wiki :)

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#cfgRemoteExec

Although, I have made remoteExec to work when it got re-introduced recently, as of last couple of updates in Dev Branch, I cannot seem to make it to work. I have added the pertaining section in Description.ext with status=2.

The Bis_fnc_MP is working and I am using that as an alterative, at the moment.

Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Any advice?

np man it was a random find :D

Okay this looks pretty good, but still got a question...

What does Headless Client fall under? (Clue's probably in the name there ;) ). I need it to run some of the server functions, but unless it falls under the definition of "server", then I'll have to whitelist server funcs for "client" as well, which is less than ideal.

Thanks guys.

@KadinX - try again. They literally fixed it for DS today so you couldn't have had it working unless you were locally hosting. Also, it's state = 2; not status = 2;

Hey Neokika

Thank you for your answers :)

And what about the performance, is this going to be the best or about the same performance as publicvariable with publicvariable eventHandler?

Thanks Das Attorney, I have it as state=2 (copied from the site), I just wrote it without looking. I did try today and then I posted. I still think that I might need to do something else. Please confirm that you got it working today and I will find what I am doing wrong.

HC is just dedicated client, but since the dpnid is used it will be just like any other client. so if HC connects right after the server started, it will be 3.

Could kindly any person that observes the remoteExec command working properly after today's update let me know about it. I am trying to trouble shoot my actions :(

Could kindly any person that observes the remoteExec command working properly after today's update let me know about it. I am trying to trouble shoot my actions :(

After today's update it doesn't work AT ALL.

Thanks for checking, I was unable to test this afternoon as I was out of the house.

I had no more luck today with Dev version 1.47.13192 to get remoteExec to work.

But since I am idling on this I have a question about the whitelisting.

What is the proper syntax for the listings? e.g. commands

I have tried a few things but so far, thankfully, the mission crashes on the description.ext level.

I have tried a few things but so far, thankfully, the mission crashes on the description.ext level.

Yes my mission crashes too, even if I copy pasta the empty example from the wiki and don't fill it in.

Just to clarify, My mission ONLY crashes when I try things. It does not crash when I use the following

class CfgRemoteExec
{
class Server
{
	state = 2; // 0-turned off, 1-turned on and taking function whitelist into account, 2-turned on ignoring function whitelist (default)
	class functions { /*your functions here*/ };
               class commands  { /*your functions here*/};
};
class Client
{
	state = 2; // 0-turned off, 1-turned on and taking function whitelist into account, 2-turned on ignoring function whitelist (default)
	class functions { /*your functions here*/ };
               class commands  { /*your functions here*/};
};
};

Doesn't work in today's dev either while change log keeps on reporting fixes

I am wondering about that too. Does Anyone know if it works on recent 146RC ? I have checked on it when they first released it, and it didn't work there either, then. I switched back to regular Dev Branch and have not check on it since

Appologies, I should read the news more carefully!!

CfgRemoteExec will replace the current CfgRemoteExecCommands?

edit:

And what of the mentioned CfgRemoteExecFunctions, replaced by CfgRemoteExec?

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

It's happens since OFP. It would be nice to say goodbye to that bug, wouldn't be? :) Can't you just put the whole parsing into try...catch block? :D

Is there any reason there is only a few commands whitelisted on vanilla? Clients shouldn't have the power to execute code as they like anyway, so a whitelist seems pretty useless and bothersome to mission developers.