voiper

Little Immersion Tweaks - Spice Up Arma 3's Night Life

Am I correct in saying that the Respawn parameter just stops people from using the respawn button when they press Esc. It dose not affect respawn = 3 or any other respawn type?

Nooope. I should probably rephrase that part of the documentation, since it's confusing people. The respawn parameter is just there to undo the script after the player permanently dies, since it could interfere with some post-death scripts (spectator, mostly). It does not affect respawn itself in any way.

Very nice!

Can you add an option to disable the gridreference/texture independently

atm I can just disable both...

The "NextWeapon" default action is F. But if I change Ctrl + F or mouse button 5 Flashlight Map not turn on. Only lights up when the keys assigned to "NextWeapon" are individual, for example F, I, 3, F8. You can change this? Note that not all players use the keys by default, and on a mission of 30 players is a problem see the map entirely in black.

Thank You

Really like the direction you're taking with this, however I'd like to second the NVG request. I was speaking with someone who owns a pair and there are apparently clip on lenses that you can just flip up or down to change your focus. There's actually an image looking at a map.

Also the light source on the player would be pretty cool too.

Do I miss something? The flashlight is just stuck in the middle of the map, no way to move, but it was fine at the very beginning of the mission.

cannot get this great addon to function on the Takistan Map using the A3 Map Pack version and not the AiA version. Any help getting the flashlight portion to work on Takistan would be great!! I do have it working on other A3 maps.

Fantastic! Incorporated this into my mission and we all love it.

Only one minor suggestion: maybe add a variable for a filepath? So people don't have to go through all the scripts and add the path manually. It would be great if it could be set in one place, like in vip_lit_init.sqf.

Other then that: top notch! Easy, small, does the job!

v1.21 released.

Done.

Very nice!

Can you add an option to disable the gridreference/texture independently

atm I can just disable both...

Done.

The "NextWeapon" default action is F. But if I change Ctrl + F or mouse button 5 Flashlight Map not turn on. Only lights up when the keys assigned to "NextWeapon" are individual, for example F, I, 3, F8. You can change this? Note that not all players use the keys by default, and on a mission of 30 players is a problem see the map entirely in black.

The way Arma checks keybindings is bugged (floating point problems). Hence why CBA has the keybinding system for mods. As a stopgap solution, flashlight is now permanently bound to F.

Really like the direction you're taking with this, however I'd like to second the NVG request. I was speaking with someone who owns a pair and there are apparently clip on lenses that you can just flip up or down to change your focus. There's actually an image looking at a map.

Also the light source on the player would be pretty cool too.

Players can now be equipped with such fancy technology (i.e. Done.). Light source won't happen: not worth the network overhead with dozens of players opening and closing their maps.

cannot get this great addon to function on the Takistan Map using the A3 Map Pack version and not the AiA version. Any help getting the flashlight portion to work on Takistan would be great!! I do have it working on other A3 maps.

Should be fixed now.

Do I miss something? The flashlight is just stuck in the middle of the map, no way to move, but it was fine at the very beginning of the mission.

You'll need to be more specific and/or give me a way to reproduce this problem.

Fantastic! Incorporated this into my mission and we all love it.

Only one minor suggestion: maybe add a variable for a filepath? So people don't have to go through all the scripts and add the path manually. It would be great if it could be set in one place, like in vip_lit_init.sqf.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Thanx for the update - I can conform the new version is working on Takistan (A3MP version), however, it gets 'stuck'....looks and acts very 'laggy' when trying to move the flashlight around the map. Anyone else having these issues or is there a fix coming? Many thanx.

REAPER.

Hi voiper, really like these tweaks and was wondering if I could get your permission to slap them into a pbo. Would really like to upload it to our server so it doesn't need to be implemented manually by many of our units "aspiring" mission makers; many of which aren't too familiar on how to add scripts to their missions. Not looking to make any public release, I'll be sure to get permission again if that ever comes to mind, though I suspect you will have already released it before that day happens.

-Calthazar

Thanx for the update - I can conform the new version is working on Takistan (A3MP version), however, it gets 'stuck'....looks and acts very 'laggy' when trying to move the flashlight around the map. Anyone else having these issues or is there a fix coming? Many thanx.

Performance issues noted. Fixed for next version.

Hi voiper, really like these tweaks and was wondering if I could get your permission to slap them into a pbo. Would really like to upload it to our server so it doesn't need to be implemented manually by many of our units "aspiring" mission makers; many of which aren't too familiar on how to add scripts to their missions. Not looking to make any public release, I'll be sure to get permission again if that ever comes to mind, though I suspect you will have already released it before that day happens.

-Calthazar

It's not complete enough yet. Once I'm satisfied with how it's performing, I will release an addon version.

Edited by voiper

Hello Voiper.

First i would like to say, quality addon. It's little effects like these that solidify the Arma experience especially immersion intensive night recce missions. So thanks for sharing.

I've been working for the last few months on a single player Recce/Saboteur/Campaign mission on Imrali and would love to add this feature. I'm guessing however (after DLing and following the instructions) that this map is not supported. I don't want to be another "P13ase cAN u aDD A1l teh M4PS!!!" guy, therefore i ask if anyone1 would point me in the right direction to make it compatible myself?

Regardless great little addon! Looking forward to see more!

First i would like to say, quality addon. It's little effects like these that solidify the Arma experience especially immersion intensive night recce missions. So thanks for sharing.

Welcome. :)

I've been working for the last few months on a single player Recce/Saboteur/Campaign mission on Imrali and would love to add this feature. I'm guessing however (after DLing and following the instructions) that this map is not supported. I don't want to be another "P13ase cAN u aDD A1l teh M4PS!!!" guy, therefore i ask if anyone1 would point me in the right direction to make it compatible myself?

In vip_lip_mapLight.sqf, it checks if the island has mapSize defined in its CfgWorlds config entry. MapSize is just the length (or height; they're the same) of the island, in meters. If mapSize isn't defined, it then checks its worldName (the command worldName, not the config entry) against a switch list for the manual size of the island.

So, to find any island's size, just load the island in the mission editor, zoom to the furthest top-right (where the map runs into the black void), and get the editor coords (centre-bottom of the editor screen) for the top-right edge. Again, use X or Y; they'll be the same. The number will be round and divisible by 1280. Then, modify the switch statement in vip_lip_mapLight.sqf, so it should look something like this:

_mapSize = switch (worldName) do {

case ("VR"): {8192};
case ("smd_sahrani_a3"): {20480};
case ("Takistan"): {12800};
case ("Chernarus"): {15360};
case ("Utes"): {5120};
case ("Imrali"): {/* size here */};
};

Once you get the value (and let me know if Imrali's worldName indeed returns "Imrali"), let me know it, so I can include it in the main release. :)

Really loving this script, makes ARMA much more realistic.

Just a quick question I added this tweak to a mission of mine (SP) and after I leave the mission and load my save game this tweak is no longer active. any ideas?

v1.3 Released

Changelog:

-fixed: issue where map light position was not updating

-changed: added alternate map cursor (optional)

-changed: added option to disable looking down most optics with NVG on

-changed: map light requires "acc_flashlight" to be in player's inventory or on weapon

-changed: map light and map NVG key can be rebound in notes; once rebound, they're saved in profile for future sessions

-changed: map light now affected by streetlamps, headlights, flashlights, pitfires, water depth

-changed: rain drops make noise on map

-changed: reorganised init scripts

Just a quick question I added this tweak to a mission of mine (SP) and after I leave the mission and load my save game this tweak is no longer active. any ideas?

I haven't tested it at all with saving. I'll look into it when I can.

-changed: added option to disable looking down most optics with NVG on

This is affecting pistols also.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for the update, Voiper - this is very nice.

This is affecting pistols also.

Rem out line 81:

case (handGunWeapon player): {handGunItems player select 2};

which should make handgun optics work.

I think that isn't too unrealistic as you don't hold a handgun directly in front of your eye (if you have any sense; it's a mistake you maybe make only twice :butbut: )

Aye,

I finally use that script and I really like the functions but I encounter a problem. I can't get the flashlight to work.

I open the map an it is pitch black (so the script itself seems to work fine)

Now I press the L key (Flashlight key) but nothing happens. This is my init line: [true, [true,true,true,true], [0,true,true], []] execVM "vip_lit\vip_lit_init.sqf";

Any help?

I'm really enjoying this script and am looking forward to the day you release an addon version of your work. I am encountering a problem; as I only play single player, when I load a save game this tweak doesn't initialize. Any suggestions on how to add this into missions where it would work with save games?

Aye,

I finally use that script and I really like the functions but I encounter a problem. I can't get the flashlight to work.

I open the map an it is pitch black (so the script itself seems to work fine)

Now I press the L key (Flashlight key) but nothing happens. This is my init line: [true, [true,true,true,true], [0,true,true], []] execVM "vip_lit\vip_lit_init.sqf";

Any help?

By default, it's bound to F, regardless of your profile settings. If you want to change it, you have to rebind it in the briefing notes (under voiper's modules). Let me know if that fixes it.

Awesome modification, well done!

Have you considered enabling NVG at the map automatically if they player has his nvgs activated?

In addition, it would be great if every player could choose himself which kind of flashlight colour he wants. His choice should then be remembered by saving it to the profilenamespace.

By default, it's bound to F, regardless of your profile settings. If you want to change it, you have to rebind it in the briefing notes (under voiper's modules). Let me know if that fixes it.

Thanks, didn't knew about that binding. Now everything works like a charm!

@Voiper

Love these scripts but when using a mission that already has class CfgSounds where or how do I insert #include "vip_lit\resource\vip_lit_cfgSounds.hpp"??? For example I'm trying to use it in crcti and warfare but I get everything to run fine but the sound. I have to disable it because no matter where I put it either the mission gets in a hissy or I do! :D

Example: Sounds.hpp from becti_0097

class CfgSounds {
   sounds[] = {prison};
   class prison {
       name = "prison";
       sound[] = {"Rsc\Sounds\prison.ogg", 1, 1.0};
       titles[] = {};
   };
};
[color=#ff0000]???[/color] [color=#0000CD]#include "vip_lit\resource\vip_lit_cfgSounds.hpp [/color][color=#ff0000]???[/color]

Not having the sound is no real game breaker but I hate having something bugging me. And it's bugging me, works a charm with a simple mission created in the editor but i'd love to have this in crcti and warfare on my home server! Thx for listening guys. And thanks voiper for creating a cool bunch of scripts, very cool mate! ;)