sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam Mod 3.0 WIP THREAD

Have the problems between Unsung and Eden been fixed or not yet?

yes, but we haven't finished the new content we are packing in the release for that fix.

Hi Folks,

I noticed many pages ago "Charlie" mentioned a goal of some ALiVE compatibility - is that still planned ? I've been playing around with ALiVE and it appears that "USUNG_E" faction name works as I can get the NVA to populate on Da Krong... I tried using "UNSUNG_W" for the US and it doesn't seem to work... Ideally we would probably need faction names with a bit more granularity to be able to specify ARVN, US types, NVA types, VC... Would any other factions work with "Bravo" and if so could someone provide the names ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unsung_e NVA

unsung_ev VC

unsung_g arvn / cidg

unsung_c civs

unsung_w US

• Like 2

Hi Egg,

Hmm - and these should work on "Bravo" ?

I just went through the entire list - in both full upper case and full lower case... The only one that worked for me was the "UNSUNG_E" in upper case... I made a very simple scenario with 4 modules (required, virtual AI, military commander, military placement) - the faction names were only changed in the "military commander" and the "military placement" - which had the same entry for the test and both of these modules are synced together...

I kept getting a message that there were "no groups" for the factions that didn't work...

I didn't try the civilians faction...

I'm pretty familiar with ALiVE and have built a bunch of sandbox missions with RHS... Still - I certainly could be doing something wrong... Anyone have a test scenario I could try with the factions working in ALiVE ?

Thanks for the help and patience...

Regards,

Scott

well we may not get to sorting this out for the next release as we are trying to do an early one to fix apex compatibility.

we don't have anyone in the team who uses ALIVE who can work on fixing this compatibility issue.

it sounds to me like we are missing something in our group definitions

if you can research and post up exactly how a group should be configged for it to work in ALIVE i can take a look through our group configs to check if they are set up right.

well we may not get to sorting this out for the next release as we are trying to do an early one to fix apex compatibility.

we don't have anyone in the team who uses ALIVE who can work on fixing this compatibility issue.

it sounds to me like we are missing something in our group definitions

if you can research and post up exactly how a group should be configged for it to work in ALIVE i can take a look through our group configs to check if they are set up right.

I'll quote myself from a while back. The config within the spoiler tag is an extract of the UNSUNG CfgGroups.

Here's a small bit of the config with a few comments about how things "should" be. Note that I'm basing all this on how things are configured in the alpha release.

class CfgGroups {
    class West {
        class UNSUNG { // Must match a faction in CfgFactionClasses, correct
            name = "UNSUNG WEST"; 
            class usarmyInfantry { // Must be Infantry, don't use custom group categories
                class army_platoonhqsectionone { 
                    faction = "UNSUNG"; // Should match the containing faction class (line 3), correct
                };  
            };
            class ususmcInfantry { // Must be Infantry and probably moved to it's own faction
            };
        };
    };
    class East {
        class UNSUNG { // Must match a faction in CfgFactionClasses, incorrect, since it's already defined in West 
            name = "UNSUNG";
            class nvaInfantry { // Must be Infantry, don't use custom group categories 
                class nva_companyhqsection { 
                    faction = "UNSUNGEAST"; // Should match the containing faction class (line 15), incorrect
                };
            };
            class vclocalInfantry { // Must be Infantry and probably moved to it's own faction
            };
        };
    };
};

For further info it's probably best to take a look at http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Unit_Mod_Config_Standardisation.

Hi Folks,

No worries and no pressure - really appreciate all you guys do...

It may have been Marcel that posted this on another thread where I didn't grasp fully the responses I got...

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/commit/ab7729380ecc159529fa5f61b5dd94dc0f39b74b

It shows UNSUNG_E defined and this is the only one that seems to work... I really don't know where this code goes though... Is this something anyone can do or do you need access to source files to make these config files ? Ideally - you would probably want separate factions by year and/or branch of service - as some of the groups defined have a year already associated with them...

I'm looking at that link posted above on ALiVE standardization to see if I can figure it out... I'm still pretty much a novice with ARMA....

Again - my thanks...

Regards,

Scott

doesn't really help. we will need an ALIVE afficionado to fix this

Evrik, Apollo, Lifetap or Nemiuk could probably help... They do the configs for our units. I'll ask tonight when I get home. SJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Now that's what I call teamwork... Thanks - SJ... As I'm sure you are aware - ALiVE adds that degree of uncertainty to a missions - so you can play it over and over again - and never play the same mission twice... I'm surprised all the time by the turn of events on missions I've created myself... It would be great to use this mod in the world of "Unsung" - like peanut butter and jelly...

Regards,

Scott

yeah we are happy to try to help, but don't wish to spend hours doing the research for this.

once i know clearly what is amiss - whether it be a missing alive config or something not right with our group configs then i can do the config changes pretty quickly

but without someone explaining what is missing, it's not likely possible we can spend the time fix it

For the ALiVE compatibility there are two ways to go about it, either in UNSUNG faction formats or in ALiVE mapping itself. Example, this is my mapping from when Bravo first came out placed in the StaticData.sqf of ALiVE,

// UNSUNG_E

UNSUNG_E_mappings = [] call ALIVE_fnc_hashCreate;

UNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups = [] call ALIVE_fnc_hashCreate;

[uNSUNG_E_mappings, "Side", "EAST"] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_mappings, "GroupSideName", "EAST"] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_mappings, "FactionName", "UNSUNG_E"] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_mappings, "GroupFactionName", "UNSUNG_E"] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;

UNSUNG_E_typeMappings = [] call ALIVE_fnc_hashCreate;

[uNSUNG_E_mappings, "GroupFactionTypes", UNSUNG_E_typeMappings] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;

[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "Infantry", ["vc_eightmansquad","vc_fourmancell","vc_sixmancell","vc_mainweaponsquadone","vc_mainriflesquadthree","vc_mainriflesquadtwo","vc_mainriflesquadone","vc_mainweaponsquadtwo","NVA_68riflesquadtwo","NVA_68riflesquadthree","NVA_68riflesquadone","NVA_68heavyweaponsquad1","NVA_68heavyweaponsquad2","NVA_68heavyweaponsquad3"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "Motorized", ["UNSNVALightPatrolElement1","UNSNVALightPatrolElement2","UNSNVALightPatrolElement5"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "Mechanized", ["UNSNVALightPatrolElement3","UNSNVALightPatrolElement8"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "Armored", ["UNSNVALightPatrolElement4"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "Air", ["uns_nvaf_pilot5"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "SpecOps", ["vc_recriflesquadone","vc_recriflesquadtwo","vc_recsappersquad","NVA_68Reconsquadone","NVA_68Reconsquadtwo"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[uNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups, "Naval", ["uns_VCRiverpatrol1","uns_VCRiverpatrol2","uns_VCRiverpatrol3"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;

[uNSUNG_E_mappings, "Groups", UNSUNG_E_factionCustomGroups] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;

[ALIVE_factionCustomMappings, "UNSUNG_E", UNSUNG_E_mappings] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;

[ALIVE_factionDefaultSupports, "UNSUNG_E", ["uns_dshk_armoured_VC","uns_dshk_high_VC","uns_dshk_twin_VC","uns_dshk_wheeled_VC","uns_dshk_bunker_closed_VC","uns_dshk_bunker_open_VC","uns_pk_tower_VC","uns_m1941_82mm_mortarVC","uns_mg42_low_VC","uns_pk_high_VC","uns_pk_low_VC","uns_pk_low_VC","uns_pk_bunker_open_VC","uns_pk_bunker_closed_VC","uns_pk_bunker_low_VC","uns_SPG9_73mm_VC","uns_spiderhole_VC","uns_spiderhole_leanto_VC"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[ALIVE_factionDefaultSupplies, "UNSUNG_E", ["uns_AmmoBoxVC","uns_EQPT_VC","uns_East_Sapper_crate","uns_HiddenAmmoBox","uns_HiddenAmmoBox_small1","uns_HiddenAmmoBox_small2","uns_HiddenAmmoBox_small3"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;
[ALIVE_factionDefaultTransport, "UNSUNG_E", ["uns_nvatruck","uns_nvatruck_camo","uns_nvatruck_open"]] call ALIVE_fnc_hashSet;

// ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is the new Da Krong map with Tanoa foliage - in game testing with guns-a-go-go

chin4_zpsytsyyyus.jpg

chin3_zpsn3iabjsd.jpg

chin1_zpslpiryikr.jpg

chin2_zpsjpzcupk9.jpg

chin6_zpssvtyj712.jpg

chin5_zpshzsd6ijx.jpg

chin7_zpszlegp7va.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Folks,

Look'n good Egg...

Hi Open,

Hmm - that looks pretty straight forward... I certainly think I could replicate that for other factions in Unsung - if that's a working model... Is there a published list of Unsung class names posted somewhere ? So that's' an ALiVE file ? So - I could create my own groups using this file using "individual" elements - or do only pre-made UNSUNG "groups" work ? If I made a custom list - I couldn't share missions unless it was made official though - right ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Egg,

Hah - sorry I missed it - I use Tapatalk most of the time and sigs don't show... I see it now - thanks so much...

Regards,

Scott

Nice new pics!

One question:

you said you wouldn't use the workshop for this mod, not to give the rights to Valve - which I can perfectly understand.

RHS was thinking the same as you did.

However, with this message (https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183435-rhs-escalation-afrf-and-usaf/?p=3067735) - the "spoiler" part -  it seems that uploading it on the workshop doesn't make you give up the rights to Valve.

So, will you possibly put Unsung on the workshop, or absolutely not?

Thanks

That's a good catch.  Perhaps I'll start uploading my mods to the workshop now.

"notwithstanding the terms in section 6a." that's the critical part.

we are discussing it. but RHS may well have missed the importance of that caveat. it creates a back door that effectively obliterates the purpose of all that follows in that paragraph.

read 6a carefully. it says, valve can make a minor adjustment to your files and immediately irrevocably take ownership of your IP. there is then a risk that someone may pirate "your content" but it is actually by then valves content. and if they choose not to enforce license terms on "their content" then you are stuffed legally.

so it is a minor risk, in terms of probability but a pretty major one in terms of actual damage caused should it arise.

the pay-off is that people could use steam to download our mod,

we are discussing it.

• Like 2

@eggbeast

Ok, thanks for the headup.

Nonetheless, if you don't go for the workshop, do you think it will be possible for you to make an updater (like the one RHS did)?

Just a thought, to make it easier for the user to update your mod, instead of deleting and downloading the whole content when you make major updates.

;)

Don't wanna bother you though :)

you'll just have to live with it, unless you are offering to host and build such a tool.

If you read that RHS thread you will see they dumped their tool because it was costing them a fortune to operate.

Don't have such a good connection :(

Anyway, as said, it was just a thought :mellow:

Thx for the quick answers nevertheless ;)