Sign in to follow this  
Gen.Carnage

Ov-10 bronco released

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 22 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ Sep. 22 2002,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Sep. 22 2002,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't suppose there's any chance of a resistance version with the US symbols removed is there? I've been looking for something to give the resistance some kind of airborne hitting power and this puppy could be the thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Two very nice resistance versions are already included mister...

Did anyone notice the decals with pilot names on the cockpit? These are the names of the DKM members. My name is on the co-pilot's position of the resistance bomber version. (Wolfman)

Thanks for that Carnage.  

marnsmile.gif

Wolfman out.<span id='postcolor'>

One question, how does the HUD work? It said it would help me targeting things with the m-guns, but I don't see how?<span id='postcolor'>

now you can fly on hud alone. in low light conditions you'll have better situation awareness.

You can also use "optics" to zoom in on the hud, this will give you a very good view of your potential victims.

miles... you do realise what AI means? its actually Artificial Imbecile, not intelligence.

we tried making the plane such that the ai would fly it better, it involved basically turning it into an a10 again....

I think you can agree with me that that is NOT an option, so the AI had to come second.

The first thing i tried was putting a turret under the belly of the bronco.. there is a bronco version with 20mm vulcan on a turret, similar to the one found under the apache.

OFP refuses to make the turret rotate, so thats that, end of line.

Hey, i just noticed something...

People have been saying "Oh, there can't be a gunner in a plane" (i think, i might be wrong) but it seems like there can be???

and there is also a problem with the gunner. You need a bombay view because when you try to drop bombs as gunner, you cant see anything... same with ffars (sort of)

i think with FFARs the pilot would give the command fire when the target is locked

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gen.Carnage @ Sep. 22 2002,20:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">miles... you do realise what AI means? its actually Artificial Imbecile, not intelligence.

we tried making the plane such that the ai would fly it better, it involved basically turning it into an a10 again....

I think you can agree with me that that is NOT an option, so the AI had to come second.

The first thing i tried was putting a turret under the belly of the bronco.. there is a bronco version with 20mm vulcan on a turret, similar to the one found under the apache.

OFP refuses to make the turret rotate, so thats that, end of line.<span id='postcolor'>

Dude, no need to get hostile. I didn't know those things so forgive me for putting out ideas. I was not attacking your hard work in any way or form. I just thought that it might be ideas to try out. But maybe I just misread your reply. Anyhoo... I think your team's Bronco is absolutely awesome.

However I have a question. You say that the turret didn't turn...but could the cannon sites be moved and aimed by the gunner? What I'm getting at is not putting a turret on the OV-10 but putting side mounted weapons on Adammo's C130. Even if the weapons couldn't move it would still be cool to be able to aim them from a gunner position inside the aircraft where you just hit the "V" key to get the weapon sites. But it's cool if you think it's a stupid idea. Perhaps other addon makers might want to give it a try if they want to see an AC-130 gunship.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ Sep. 22 2002,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Sep. 22 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matthijs @ Sep. 22 2002,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ludovico Technique @ Sep. 22 2002,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't suppose there's any chance of a resistance version with the US symbols removed is there? I've been looking for something to give the resistance some kind of airborne hitting power and this puppy could be the thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Two very nice resistance versions are already included mister...

Did anyone notice the decals with pilot names on the cockpit? These are the names of the DKM members. My name is on the co-pilot's position of the resistance bomber version. (Wolfman)

Thanks for that Carnage.  

marnsmile.gif

Wolfman out.<span id='postcolor'>

One question, how does the HUD work? It said it would help me targeting things with the m-guns, but I don't see how?<span id='postcolor'>

now you can fly on hud alone. in low light conditions you'll have better situation awareness.

You can also use "optics" to zoom in on the hud, this will give you a very good view of your potential victims.<span id='postcolor'>

Come again?

Now that theres a real HUD, would it be possible to have the CCIP pipper. It shows where bombs would hit. It'd make aiming them a helluva lot easier.

i didnt mean for that to sound hostile in any way... if it did imust have put it wrong.

Anyway, a C-130 gunship is a great idea, i wanted to do the same thing with the bronco, if only it was doable

With the current ofp engine... you cannot change the gunner's view without changing the guns aim, since you cannot make a turret on a plane, you cannot aim the gun, hence you cannot change the gunners view, and cannot fly over a target and destroy it.

The only thing that is possible i think is a fixed gun that points down, but in the case of the bronco, you have multiple guns, and there is only one firing point on any vehicle for guns.

a turret would be able to have 2 different guns, the main gun and the coaxial.

in short, the gunner is allways looking in the direction of the aim of the gun. (thru optics)

the rockets are offset to the left and the right of the gunners viewpoint, makes aiming difficult, but not impossible.

its a different story for the bombs, only if you go "dive bombing" the gunners view would be accurate.

but hey, now that we have shown all modmakers that gunners and huds are possible on "singleseater" planes, i'm sure someone will come up with an even better configuration. smile.gif

ex-ronin:

simple example... try landing an a-10 in a pitchblack night on everon, chances are you would crash over and over again.

sure if you are mega skilled and are an expert on the ofp flight model......

do the same thing in the bronco and you will know while landing;

- the direction you are heading

- what your speed is

- how much power the engines are on

- how fast you are descending

- if you have the plane level or not

- if your nose is pointing up or down.

- what altitude you currently are

all this with the runway in "sight" in front of you.

turn the landing lights of the bronco on while doing this and you will be able to touch her down as if it was mid-day.

target a tank, turn the plane towards it and zoom in on the hud, you will have a perfect view on the target, while not loosing track of what the plane is doing.

i think we can call that a big help in the flying experience, dont you?

edc: i would be very amazed if that is possible in ofp with the current instruments we have available in the cockpit, unless there is something i have missed it not posible.

I have thought of this and tried to find something like a ccip thingy that might work, but i couldnt come up with one, so you will have to do lots of practise runs, using only the vertical line as reference.

Carnage im just back from a MP game and we ha some great fun oon hunting T80s it really rocks

It's a seriously impressive piece of kit. The AI is a good dropper of bombs, prone to be a little shakey with the rockets, but aside from that it's very cool. It's particularly harrowing to be on foot with one of those things strafing you and your squad with machineguns.

A question though, is there any way to persuade troops and tanks to fire on it with small arms? Nobody in the squad seemed to be up for returning fire when I played against it.

Firstly, I'd like to say, great work on the model and hud, excellent stuff!

Just a few things to think about in an update.

include a zamerny vertex in the memory lod so that the plane can be targetted.

include a fire geo lod so that the pilots can be hit seperately from the airplane

adjust the flight characteristics so that AI pilots can take off

Just some small things, overall the addon is really impressive! Alot of time has been taken with this addon and it obviously shows. I'd like to talk to you about making a version for the Nam Pack 2, what would be the best way to contact you?

SelectThis

this plane is, as you might know, bulletproof for its pilot and wizzo, the canopy is impermeable to small arms fire.

since the only way to kill the crew would be to break the glass, it would mean you are using something heavier. like the shilka's gun.

also to save model size i didnt put the hit points lod in there, it would have been cool if for instance one of the engine could be blown out, so that you would have half of normal power, but ofp doesnt let that happen.

the zamerny point, hmm might put it in when making a Nam version..:)

You DO realise that in Nam the broncos were not equipped with a hud?

i allready explained about the AI, i dont think its possible to make the imbeciles fly it properly without loosing the flight characteristics it now has.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

you can contact me thru the mail thats in the readme.txt.

Invalid texture aspect ratio (256x16)

I got that message when I tried to use the Bronco in the editor, after it appears, OFP shuts down entirely.

WTF is going on and how can I fix it?

Damnit I hate computers with a passion. biggrin.gif

Tyler

Hi!

Here I have Voodoo 3000 and I get this "Invalid texture aspect ratio (256x16)" -like other people- and can't play with the Addon :-( Maybe is the video card that don't support 256x256 textures? Hope is not that... if not I can start feeling that this will start to happen often to the ones we still have those cards ohh! Thanks.

right.. it looks like we stumbled across a videocard issue here.

There are two textures that have sizes 256x16, apparantly some videocards can't handle that.

*SIGH* smile.gif

ok, to stop me from having to release a fixed version, please all go away and buy a decent vidcard..:) .... just kidding.

i'll see if i can upload a fixed version soon, check out our site the next few days.

Yeah, I am running a VooDoo 3 as well. I have been planning on a new vid card, but I have'nt bothered to head down to the hardware shop and get it yet. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'll see if i can upload a fixed version soon, check out our site the next few days.<span id='postcolor'>

It's good to know that you care when so many people don't, thanks alot. Make sure to let us know in this thread when you release it.

Thanks.

Tyler

Heavy Date has Hot Mamma on her tail. Other wise this is definitly a keeper. Love this addon!

Quality addon, however I have discovered a rather serious exploit concerning the OV-10's bomb-dropping accuracy.

Here's how it goes: if you select a target and lock it up, when you drop the bombs, they act like precision guided munitions, despite the fact that there is no designation method. Basically all you have to do to achieve unbelievable accuracy with the OV-10's bombs is to lock up a target, make a high pass, and drop your bombs as soon as you see the diamond lock appear.

Tested with the OV-10 Bomber on Vet settings.

I think they are supposed to work that way. You don't have CCIP or bombsight in OFP, so that's the only way to aim your bombs. The bombs and the JP233 in the G8's Tornado and the bombs in the AMX work that way too.

exactly, look at the readme file.. you will see that he bombs are described as semi-guided.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gen.Carnage @ Sep. 24 2002,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">exactly, look at the readme file.. you will see that he bombs are described as semi-guided.<span id='postcolor'>

hmm, cant say I like that too much... but it's your addon