mistyronin

Russia General

Putin loves to blame current problems on external factors, but then claims all successes on his own genius. Guess by how much oil prices rose from 1999 until 2008?... 10 times. I think that's a lot of extra money that you can use to buy yourself mansions and yachts, and leave a little for the common Russian to increase his salary.

Nice little detail that shouldn´t be forgotten. Putins Russia is build on natural ressources. When the prices are up everything is great, but once they fall it all goes to shit.

Nice little detail that shouldn´t be forgotten. Putins Russia is build on natural ressources. When the prices are up everything is great, but once they fall it all goes to shit.

Yes, but it's definitely not the sole contributing factor. Russia is also extremely dependent on imports. From medicine to automobiles. Countries like Norway and Nigeria, who are also dependent on their oil, have suffered only a 10% fall in their currencies.

Yes, but it's definitely not the sole contributing factor. Russia is also extremely dependent on imports. From medicine to automobiles. Countries like Norway and Nigeria, who are also dependent on their oil, have suffered only a 10% fall in their currencies.

What I dont know yet is the question why the Ruble reacts so vulnerable to the oilprice in comparison to other countries where most revenues are comming from such ressources aswell and are highly dependant on the oil price. Take for example the Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia itself or other Oil rich countries where the economics are based on it.

Anyone has maybe found some hints here ?

What I dont know yet is the question why the Ruble reacts so vulnerable to the oilprice in comparison to other countries where most revenues are comming from such ressources aswell and are highly dependant on the oil price. Take for example the Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia itself or other Oil rich countries where the economics are based on it.

Anyone has maybe found some hints here ?

Well, sub human might have given the answer there. Russia has to import a lot of stuff, even grain. The low oil price has put their import-export balance into a high negative.

So this was apparently important enough to be featured on RT Ruptly.

I don't get it, from the title I was expecting people to walk in, look down with a smile and start scraping their feet real firmly across the mat maybe even with a laugh or insult or two.

Instead I see casual shoppers just going about their day without any action that suggests they care about the mat really or the opportunity to "wipe their feet on the US".

"Putin's first presidency was marked by high economic growth.."

http://www.wallstreetdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1011-RussianGDP.gif

When you read about the situation of Russia back in the 90s, under Jelzin before Putin came into power, you will notice that it was terrible for the masses of people in Russia. So by all the reasonable critics on Putin, there are reasons why he is popular.

You can place those names in random order.

1011-RussianGDP.gif528px-Average_Price_of_West_Texas_Intermediate_Crude_Oil.png

"Putin's first presidency was marked by complete mapping of human genome"

"Putin's second presidency was marked by probe landing on Titan"

"Putin's third presidency was marked by first commercial flight to ISS"

Wow such putin much brain:eek:

Well, sub human might have given the answer there. Russia has to import a lot of stuff, even grain. The low oil price has put their import-export balance into a high negative.

It seems Russia in general belongs to the top ten export countries in the world with an export surplus, though it is not a top export nation. Maybe the 2014 data will be soon available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_exports

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_imports

You can place those names in random order.

Yeah, it is well known that russian economic is very dependant on the oil price. Its almost like a "Petrol State". But there is of course more than just that, neccessary reforms did happen. The Oil Price was also one of the reason why the Sovjetunion did fall.

Edited by oxmox

Yes but i suppose they mainly export raw materials and energy, that's why they must be running short of foreign currency to support their money, because of low oil prices.

Yes but i suppose they mainly export raw materials and energy, that's why they must be running short of foreign currency to support their money, because of low oil prices.

Could be, I was googling a bit but could not find a more detailed article about why the ruble is so vulnerable in comparison to other "petrol state" currencies.

Saudi Arabia is feeling the low oil price itself and will have a negative balance, Iran which is another target by such an oil price manipulation from Saudi Arabia are struggling aswell with their currency but the media does not talk a lot about it. There are of course other currencies which loose with higher percentages to the dollar but the ruble crash was fatal.

Edited by oxmox

Could be, I was googling a bit but could not find a more detailed article about why the ruble is so vulnerable in comparison to other "petrol state" currencies.

Saudi Arabia is feeling the low oil price itself and will have a negative balance, Iran which is another target by such an oil price manipulation from Saudi Arabia has not such a dramatic currency crash. There are of course other currencies which loose with higher percentages to the dollar but the ruble crash was fatal.

It could also be that the Ruble was simply a bit overrated...

Another reason is that with trading a lot depends on trust. Investors generally know what to expect of Saudi Arabia, or of Iran. Russia on the other hand has become really unpredictable and lost a lot of trust.

Another reason for low ruble level could be the departure of foreign investors : disinvestment means selling ruble to buy another currency.

Another reason for low ruble level could be the departure of foreign investors : disinvestment means selling ruble to buy another currency.

I think there's a bit of everything, like in any major drop of value.

It all begins with a sudden drop because of some real cause ( in this case the drop of oil price ), but then the fear and chaos triggers a domino effect that causes foreign investors to flee and locals to buy foreign coins, and as more people are scared more drops the value.

Indeed. Economy is based on confidence, particularly for its financial aspects. Putin may have reassured investors because of the political stability in Russia, but the whole Ukrainian venture shows how risky a populist authoritarian regim may be when it goes the wishful thinking way of nationalist expansionism.

Reality check is knocking at the wanabe Czar's door.

Edited by ProfTournesol

It's official, Putin wants to start Cold War 2.0 as an excuse to keep himself in power:

( Al Jazeera ) Russia identifies NATO as its biggest threat

A new military doctrine signed by President Vladimir Putin identified NATO as Russia's number one military threat and raised the possibility of a broader use of precision conventional weapons to deter foreign aggression.

The new doctrine was signed on Friday, and it maintains the provisions of the 2010 edition of the military doctrine regarding the use of nuclear weapons.

The doctrine, which came amid tensions over Ukraine, reflected the Kremlin's readiness to take a stronger posture in response to what it sees as US-led efforts to isolate and weaken Russia.

So what, NATO has always seen Russia as a threat, thats what that anti missile shield and bases on russian border were meant for after all.

Putin has just officially realized that, so I wouldnt say that it is Russia who wants the cold war.

Just look at how eager our politicians and industry are for the new military contracts, just a couple of months ago it was said that basically the whole Bundeswehr starting with g36 rifles and ending with the new Eurocopters and Eurofighters are scrap and we need new stuff. In the end its all about the money. The common people like me, you, europeans, americans, russians, ukrainians, etc. are getting fucked by their governments and the 1% of industrialists.

It's official, Putin wants to start Cold War 2.0

Inevitable with his imperialistic mentality focused on expanding of sphere of influence and gathering the power, not what's good for the people. Same attitude of main players of that time, taken from nowhere conviction of beeing destined to co-decide and co-rule the world, with war as a "fair", acceptable tool to achieve that, granting themselves the right to judge, what's fairly due and what's enough, the ambition, the chase for the greatness was the reasons of WWI (and the II in the consequence). Old as humanity itself pride and the greed, that fueled most of the wars, that met modern killing tools allowing unprecedented mass scale of the conflict.

NATO has always seen Russia as a threat

Sadly - no, even if was most righlty founded because of Russian threat, it forgot about this too easily. Well, at least could be more cautious and less trusting, so now could be better prepared. IMO the sin of so called "West" was hasty and reckless assumptions, wishful thinking about Russia without actually understanding that country, and what's going on there. From the other hand - Russia always perceived NATO as a threat. That also was and stays a fundamental mistake. What exactly threat NATO pose to the Russia itself? None, I think. Even, if all countries on the world excluding Russia was honest NATO members, truly sharing NATO philosophy - still none. It poses a threat only to the Putin's dreams about "The Great Empire of Russia" imposing its will to the half of the world. If not that, I would see no reason to not join Russia to the NATO as well. Why not?

Edited by Rydygier

Interesting that basically NATO has spread its zone of influence directly up to russian borders and now blames Russia for imperialism, whereas it tries to save what little pieces of its own zone of influence has left.

NATO not imposing its will onto foreign countries? Please, the whole Middle East, northern Africa and some south american countries think otherwise.

During my time at the Bundeswehr I have started to greatly dislike our north american "partners", who behaved themselves like the masters here in Germany when we had joint excersices at Grafenwöhr.

Interesting that basically NATO has spread its zone of influence directly up to russian borders and now blames Russia for imperialism, whereas it tries to save what little pieces of its own zone of influence has left.

And don't you see the problem even, when you mimic it? That's exactly it - thinking in terms of imperium, zones of influences etc. Not in the terms of good of the people. Just don't. Russia's imperialism is obvious, its enough to read, what Putin said last year, also in this new doctrine, threatening, because obviously as well accepts people to be harmed in the process. Is the USA/NATO/West/any other country sinless here? Of course not. The topic of this thread is Russia however, so we speak about Russia.

BTW If I had no other choice but to choose to make whole world one big USA or one big Russia, my choice would be clear by the factor of "how well people are living in given country". IMHO Russia need deepest internal, mental changes in its whole history, not to push via influences any part of the world closer to its current, very sad state. I don't like repeat myslef, but maybe I have to point out something here:

What exactly threat NATO pose to the Russia itself? None, I think. Even, if all countries on the world excluding Russia was honest NATO members, truly sharing NATO philosophy - still none. It poses a threat only to the Putin's dreams about "The Great Empire of Russia" imposing its will to the half of the world.

Don't you see? Conflict is only in the minds here. In the minds, that want to think in therms of imperialistic ambitions. Why should we think that way? Why Russia need to be an empire? If imperialism is not a good thing, why Russia want to follow that path? No imperialism - no longer any NATO "threat". And much less people harmed.

During my time at the Bundeswehr I have started to greatly dislike our north american "partners", who behaved themselves like the masters here in Germany

So, a humble advice, you probably should treat your judgements about USA with extra caution, due to subjective prejudice. Same for similar reason applies to me, living in Poland, and Russia BTW.

Edited by Rydygier

So as soon as someone points out that Russia's actions are a reaction to NATO's actions, that someone is told to shut up because "we speak about Russia, you are only allowed to bash Russia here".

And why is Russia in need of mental changes and not the USA for example? While Russia has accepted a new doctrine declaring NATO as an enemy thus threatening the people of NATO countries, NATO have bombed and killed people and even raped children (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmudiyah_killings) of non NATO states for a long while now. So if Russia wants to protect itself against such prophets of freedom and democracy, it is automatically evil?

And I had no prejudices against USA until I have served along their soldiers and have seen what they think of us and how they act towards us.

I do understand that you must have same feelings towards russians because of the soviet occupation.

What I mean is that while condemning one nation as an iperialistic monster, we are supporting another imperialistic monster at the same time.

Edited by negah

SInce when did "NATO" attack Russia ? How on earth is Russia threatened by "NATO" ? Saying that the USA was or is imperialist doesn't in any way excuse Russia's imperialism.

BTW, NATO is very far from being an homogeneous block, Irak 2003 venture showed it.

So basically you have to wait until someone attacks you with weapons before you have a right to protect yourself?

And dont you see the whole information and economic war between the NATO countries and Russia right now?

And yeah I was very happy when Schröder said we wont send the Bundeswehr to Iraq while Merkel who wasnt in charge back then wanted the opposite.

Guess who has become our next chancellor.

I don't get the NATO expansionism idea.

It's not that NATO wanted to expand to the Russian border, but Russia's neighbors that were afraid of more Russian Agressions so they requested to join NATO.

In the same way now Sweden, Finland and Ukraine seem to be on the path to join NATO too. And the only one to blame for that is Putin and his imperialist policies.

In fact before Ukraine the EU wanted to have strong ties with Russia. A lot of EU investors dedicated a lot of money in Russia, Finland was thinking to allow Russian citizens to visit the country visa-free, heck even France was planning to arm Russia with the Helicopter Carriers.

And once again the Kremlin ruined everything.

Edited by MistyRonin

So basically you have to wait until someone attacks you with weapons before you have a right to protect yourself?.

That's what I said. Putin's Policy is based on wishful thinking, which is extremely dangerous, particularly for us, Europeans.