mistyronin

Russia General

I don't understand. What rule did he break?
ok its me havatan19 and since im back with my real account, i will answer now the posts i wanted to answer last time before a mod banned me.

§11) No duplicate accounts

Having several accounts is strictly forbidden. If you want to get a new account contact a moderator. If you wish to change your name for any reason we will be happy to do that, if you discover you inadvertently ended up with two accounts we can merge them for you, better to inform a moderator than risk being banned as a "dupe". Please note that due to abuse by people trying to circumvent the duplicate account rules we do not allow forum accounts to access the forums using a VPN/Proxies/Tor network etc. etc. if you feel that you need to use this kind of service because of security/privacy/network tunnelling concerns please contact a moderator.

Not only did he have multiple accounts, but he was already banned on another account.

(The Washington Post) Facebook blocks Russian page supporting Navalny, Putin's biggest critic

In a sign of new limits on Facebook’s ability to serve as a platform for political opposition movements, Russian users appear to have been blocked from accessing a page calling for a protest in support of a prominent dissident.
I don't understand. What rule did he break?

He has a history of multiple accounts and bad behavior on the forum, I doubt the mods tolerate him anymore.

(NewsWeek) Belarus Refuses to Trade With Russia in Roubles

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has ordered his cabinet ministers to stop trading using the Russian rouble. Instead, the country - who is one of Russia’s closest allies - will trade only in dollars or euros, after Russian President Vladimir Putin admitted on Thursday his country may be on the verge of a two year recession.
Edited by surpher

Something a little bit more up-to-date.

(ITAR-TASS) Lukashenko says Belarus is ready to help Ukraine

“I want everything in Ukraine to be well. Many interpret it as some kind of games. I know you are not among them,†the Belarusian news agency BELTA quoted Lukashenko as saying. “That is why, and I have told you this before: if you want anything from Belarus, just say it, we will give you anything you might ask in just a day.â€

So, why does "the last dictator of europe" suddenly want to piss of Putin so much?

May have something to do with the ban of Belarus exports to Russia? I don't think Lukashenko is serious - just needs Moscow to come and beg (in the form of increased trade and financial aid). Similar stories come from the other side, in Kazakhstan, which also depends largely on economic trades with Russia:

Kazakh President Calls For Compromise Between Russia And Ukraine

"I am appealing to Russia and Ukraine to think about finding a compromise in order to get out of this conflict and preserve Ukraine's territorial integrity, because this situation is nonsense and should not be taking place," it quoted him as saying.

Also, Lukashenko said he's interested in making a joint Belarussian-Ukrainian TV channel to show the 'real' situation in Donbass, and Nazarbayev offered coal trades for Ukraine.

Edited by Sub-Human

Something a little bit more up-to-date.

(ITAR-TASS) Lukashenko says Belarus is ready to help Ukraine

That's indeed a remarkable piece of news. Even one of the last hardcore Russian allies is turning its back on it.

Well, Putin still has Kim Jong-un in North Korea, they share some internal and foreign policies.

( The Washington Post ) Vladimir Putin just invited Kim Jong Un to visit Russia. Really.

(CNN) Rich Russians buy U.K. investor visas in record numbers

Wealthy Russians are buying their way into the U.K. in record numbers as the economy at home sours and the ruble crumbles.

Government data shows 162 Russians were granted U.K. investor visas in the first nine months of the year. That's already surpassed the total issued in 2013, and compares to 96 granted over the same period last year.

So, why does "the last dictator of europe" suddenly want to piss of Putin so much?

Maybe because his first goal is to make something good for his own little country. And maybe because Belarus is small but independent state and has an ability to provide their own politics.

BTW it's not the first time Bulbash says something that pisses off Kremlin. But at the same time he still hadn't done anything that harms our relations.

At the same time mr. Hollande couldn't resist his Black Overlord and ordered suspension of Mistral deal despite heavy losses both in money and reputation of French arms industry.

Do you know anything about blocking an accounts of various bloggers in Livejournal who have pro-Novorossia position? I saw at least four blogs with thousands readers each that had been suspended either temporary or permanently during recent months.

Do you know anything about blocking an accounts of various bloggers in Livejournal who have pro-Novorossia position? I saw at least four blogs with thousands readers each that had been suspended either temporary or permanently during recent months.

Facebook is a private company so I would not give excessive importance to what they block. In fact they blocked one of my photography professors account for having some of his portfolio photos there.

Maybe because his first goal is to make something good for his own little country.

He is a dictator so by definition he only looks for his own good not his people's. He used to be one of the Kremlin's hardcore allies, but I guess he see Putin so weak that decided that is time to go with another dance partner.

At the same time mr. Hollande couldn't resist his Black Overlord and ordered suspension of Mistral deal despite heavy losses both in money and reputation of French arms industry.

I'm pretty sure Obama has not much influence over Hollande, just that he probably realized that giving weapons to an authoritarian guy who doesn't seem to think clearly as Putin, was not a good idea.

Edited by MistyRonin

Yeah, if we don't deliver weapons to dictatorships or authoritarian regims, we will never sell any weapons abroad ;) I'd prefer we suspend weapon deliveries to Qatar, which is playing a very dangerous game, particularly in Libya, supporting every extreme islamist movements that serve its interests.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-last-journalists-in-russia

The Last Journalists in Russia

Actually, there is no direct censorship in Russia. Government doesn't need to censor anyone — self-censorship is much more effective. The bosses of all state-run or state-related media know all the dos and don'ts, they have blacklists of newsmakers or topics that should never been mentioned. They'll never cross the invisible red line.

For many years that situation was absurd because no one believed the official news of the state TV — that was one of the reasons of Dozhd's success. We gained the trust of the audience.

But during the Crimean crisis the situation changed. The level of state propaganda became so shameless, and many people started believing it. The society is polarized and divided into two groups: those who watch state TV and therefore became a victim of the propaganda and those who don't watch (or probably prefer Dozhd). In this situation Dozhd is being labeled as unpatriotic and treacherous only for giving the floor to the second — Ukrainian — side and for reporting from Kiev.

http://youtu.be/wmDzJtXffWo

It was just a regular peaceful citizen who killed him in self-defence. He probably found the polonium in some warehouse or his cellar. Also Litvenenko was a fashist and a jew. Edited by beastcat

Facebook is a private company so I would not give excessive importance to what they block. In fact they blocked one of my photography professors account for having some of his portfolio photos there.

I would be very glad if such news would not be defined like "Evil Putin forced facebook to suspend his rivals' pages".

He is a dictator so by definition he only looks for his own good not his people's. He used to be one of the Kremlin's hardcore allies, but I guess he see Putin so weak that decided that is time to go with another dance partner.

I bet citizens of free and democratic Moldova, Albania and now Ukraine would like to have such dictator...

I'm pretty sure Obama has not much influence over Hollande, just that he probably realized that giving weapons to an authoritarian guy who doesn't seem to think clearly as Putin, was not a good idea.

Sure. But why this contract had been signed then? Putin was the same at that time. Really good idea would be not to sign it at all. But just before Ukrainian escalation nobody cared about transferring weapons and technologies to bloody dictator.

Yeah, if we don't deliver weapons to dictatorships or authoritarian regims, we will never sell any weapons abroad ;) I'd prefer we suspend weapon deliveries to Qatar, which is playing a very dangerous game, particularly in Libya, supporting every extreme islamist movements that serve its interests.

It's not about regime or someone's political system. Just think before signing the deal and either do it till the end or don't do at all. Don't mix politics and economics - you'll lose in both. After all this mess with Mistrals many of future clients will think twice before ordering anything in France as there's no guarantee that such situation will not be repeated.

I would be very glad if such news would not be defined like "Evil Putin forced facebook to suspend his rivals' pages".

I agree with you. I'm pretty sure the Kremlin doesn't affect much Facebooks decision makers. I mean we are talking about a non-Russian company which has practically little market in Russia. It would be different if we talked about a Russian media company.

I bet citizens of free and democratic Moldova, Albania and now Ukraine would like to have such dictator...

I haven't meet any Moldovan citizen. And all the Ukrainians I known ( some are long time friends of mine ) despise Putin and his expansionist policies.

On the other hand I have to recognize that the few Albanians I have known were in deed quite attracted to Putin as some kind of overlord.

Sure. But why this contract had been signed then? Putin was the same at that time. Really good idea would be not to sign it at all. But just before Ukrainian escalation nobody cared about transferring weapons and technologies to bloody dictator.

That's an interesting point. I think that most of the World's Govs thought of Putin as one of them, a reasonable person that you could trade and trust, he was considered an authoritarian figure only dangerous to his own citizens. All understood the Georgia's war as a little folly, that could be pardoned.

In fact last year after the Syrian negotiations for the removal of the Chemical weapons, Putin was seen as a good counterweight to the US warmongerism.

Unfortunately this year's events have proved otherwise. And the World woke up and realized what kind of despicable, selfish, wannabe that lives in a fantasy world, Putin is.

Just think before signing the deal and either do it till the end or don't do at all. Don't mix politics and economics - you'll lose in both.

Kind of agree. The French Gov. should have known better and investigate who its client was before signing any deal. After all we are not talking about a few trucks or helicopters but two full fledged amphibious assault ships.

Judging about ehm... poor Moldovan, Albanian and now Ukrainian economics and the whole appearance of that countries and seeing rather successful, calm, cosy and clean Belarus I suppose not everybody are happy being free and democratic but still shytehole.

As for thinking of Putin as the same as them - don't be so naive. It's all about interruption of transformation of Ukraine into spearhead of attack on us. Noone really cares about human rights or political system in this world. So called democracies are happy to be friends of hardest dictatorships if it suits their interests. If it does not, the targeted country may be anything but still be labeled as cruel dictatorship and destroyed.

I'm sure Stalin was popular while being one the biggest butcher of XXth century...
mmh I dont think so people had it better under stalin and this is a little exxagerated comparison... .

The open markets in the 90s under Jelzin were catastrophic. Western nations would have probably appreciate to prolong the situation of open markets in the 90s under Jelzin, in the time when Oligarchs did took power, Russia was on the bottom and the people did fell into poverty. It was a catastrophic situation for them. Putin is not a flawless democrat, but it is Putins achievement that he did lead Russia out of misery or/and avoiding the downfall. The methodes he used are of course questionable. When was Russia ever a free and democratic nation ? Under the Czar, Stalin or Brezhnev ?

Nah, the russians do not have it that bad under Putin...not perfect...but it could be worse.

Worse ? Of course. Better, for sure. Putin and his Oligarch clique are stealing Russian people's money, look at Putin's wealth or Sotchy amazing costs of corruption...But all of this should be in the Russia discussion, i'll stop it here.
Are you sure? The income isn´t that high, and many people might loose their jobs next year. Currently the people can´t afford what they are used to.

Sure at thze beginning Putin has done some things to improve the life of Russians (wich really coudn´t be much worse at that time) but he is throwing it all away so freaking fast now....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The current situation is of course different because of the pressure from western countries i.e. sanctions and oil price.

But the years before since the 90s were quiete successful for Russia under Putin.

Examples from wikipedia:

"During Putin's first premiership and presidency (1999–2008), real incomes increased by a factor of 2.5, real wages more than tripled; unemployment and poverty more than halved, and the Russians' self-assessed life satisfaction rose significantly.

Putin's first presidency was marked by high economic growth: the Russian economy grew for eight straight years, seeing GDP increase by 72% in PPP (as for nominal GDP, 600%)."

1011-RussianGDP.gif

When you read about the situation of Russia back in the 90s, under Jelzin before Putin came into power, you will notice that it was terrible for the masses of people in Russia. So by all the reasonable critics on Putin, there are reasons why he is popular.

Edited by oxmox

It's all about interruption of transformation of Ukraine into spearhead of attack on us.

Russian paranoia set aside, what should be the purpose of such attack ? Who really cares about attacking Russia ?

The methodes he used are of course questionable. When was Russia ever a free and democratic nation ? Under the Czar, Stalin or Brezhnev ?

Nah, the russians do not have it that bad under Putin...not perfect...but it could be worse.

I agree. Anyone who has studied Russian history knows that most of its rulers in the last centuries were authoritarian figures. To the point that some Russian citizens I known have told me that this kind of dictatorship rule is what a good amount of Russian people want, basically because it's what they have learn for decades, it's part of its genes.

Mostly that ultraconservative tendencies exist because no democratic government has been able to success yet in Russia and they haven't realized how better is a proper democracy ( as most of Russian citizens haven't lived in any fully democratic country so don't even understand how they work ).

BTW I agree that at this point, Putin can't be compared to Stalin. Thank God.

BTW I agree that at this point, Putin can't be compared to Stalin. Thank God.

Indeed, i wasn't comparing them, just saying that "being popular" isn't enough to judge the quality of a leader.

Russian paranoia set aside, what should be the purpose of such attack ? Who really cares about attacking Russia ?

Those who want to pass another upcoming economic crisis successfully. And those whose officials provoke UA officials to escalate the fighting at every visit (it is noted even by Ukrainians themselves). Guess whose military bases are set around us? And whose organizations stand after all that 'color revolutions'? I know, your Black Overlord told you that nobody cares and everything is calm but here, from other side, there's quite another picture.

Tsar Bomba, largest thermonuclear hydrogen bomb ever ...
Video for largest nuclear bomb test in russia tsar bomba

@ Spooky, mainly

What is the basic ideal world for a Russian citizen? Do your borders look as they do now? Or do they more closely resemble those of Imperial Russia?

NATO was a response to basic, core Communist Party doctrine as well as the dangers that a permissive environment created for batshit crazy authoritarian regimes. (Lol "Great Patriotic War") The Soviet Union subjugated all of Eastern Europe... Only Albania and Yugoslavia broke from the party line and it only really worked well for one of them... Until their charismatic leader died and the various ethnic groups started slaughtering each other wholesale... Modern events have shown that the Alliance is still relevant in terms of it's original role. When a former Soviet republic starts leaning west, Russian arms and men flow into that country. Should the Pole or Czech not fear that as well? (Or the Finn, or the Estonian, or Latvian, or...)

Also, Hungary 1956 and Czechoslovakia 1968. Or how about how in WWII, when the Polish people launched a general uprising and the Soviet Army simply STOPPED and waited for the Waffen-SS to slaughter them, rather than aid them in any way. Just how many people were murdered in bloody party purges, or killed in ethnic cleansing, or died in the Gulags? (None right? Because that's all Western Revisionist history?) Yes, it's a long time ago, but doesn't Russian media love to call Anti-Russian Ukrainians "Nazis" or "Banderas?" (Yes, Western interests did fund some pretty awful stuff in response to the existential threat the Warsaw Pact presented, propping up Far-Right dictators, brutally incompetent countries like South Vietnam, and of course exploiting the Sino-Soviet split. We were kinda at war then.) The Ultra-Corrupt Governments persistent in post Cold-War Eastern Europe are a DIRECT result of the garbage the Communist system produced. If you can't succeed on your own accord, you have to game the system, lie, cheat, and steal.

The modern world, at least as I perceive it, would be more interested in a version of events where Russia wanted to play ball with everyone else. (Wouldn't all of you from the rest of the west agree?) Clearly, the West is out to keep Russia under it's boot as it grows wealthy selling oil and steel to Europe. Clearly. Is Russia still at war with the Western Allies? Rather, are the Western Allies still at war with Russia? Don't like what's going on in former Soviet Republics? Golly, maybe the Soviet Union shouldn't have destroyed itself with corruption, graft, militarism and gross stupidity and y'all could be one happy family still.

The "Black Overlord" line is cute, and very helpful to your argument.

The current situation is of course different because of the pressure from western countries i.e. sanctions and oil price.

But the years before since the 90s were quiete successful for Russia under Putin.

Putin loves to blame current problems on external factors, but then claims all successes on his own genius. Guess by how much oil prices rose from 1999 until 2008?... 10 times. I think that's a lot of extra money that you can use to buy yourself mansions and yachts, and leave a little for the common Russian to increase his salary.

I think you give leaders too much credit. Putin is just a human. I'd like to see detailed research of Putin's direct involvement in economic growth and happiness in Russia (nationalistic happiness doesn't count). Until then he's just like any other politician who says "YES", "NO" and "DO IT" to qualified subordinates because (I guess) he's not omniscient. In other words, the current situation is a result of much much more than undisclosed actions of the over hyped prima donna (Putin).