mcruppert

Jurassic Arma - Raptor Pack

Really nice update :D

i'm using your pack on my Panthera server where they belong and we all love it :)

Keep up the good work!

Looks, like truly fantastic stuff is coming with the update. :)

So here we go guys! The new update V. 1.3 is ready

DOWNLOAD

'>C8VvKq.jpg

CHANGELOG:

- fixed: animation locality bugs in MP
- fixed: sound locality bugs in MP
- fixed: player raptor get stuck when walking on objects/buildings
- fixed: no more talking raptors

- changed: raptors use engine target info, which ensures more complex behavior and additionally better performance. nice side effect: they share target info when grouped with eachother
- changed: default damage values

- added: raptors now attack vehicles, this also takes into account if you are sitting in an exposed seat or not
- added: escaping from raptors
- added: raptors go investigate last known location after losing victim's track
- added: target priority system to ensure attacking always the nearest and softest target
- added: detection screams
- added: reaction animation for when raptors are hit by bullets
- added: animation based ragdoll replacement (when being ran over or hit by explosives)
- added: hit feedback for raptor's victims (on screen effects for players)
- added: players get the function to eat at regain heatlh
- added: players get the function to roar
- added: more death animations for the raptor
- added: more claw attack animation variation for the raptor
- added: various variables to help mission makers customize the raptors' behavior (damage, detection distance etc)

- improved: overall effectiveness. they navigate better and thus get to you more quickly
- improved: players claw attack its now easier to hit a target

have fun with this new update! and be warned! they are deadly beats :cool:

Sincere regards

Bad Benson and Ruppertle

As both of you are aware I have been following your work for some time. Just wanted to publicly thank you both for the work you have put in to such a great mod. Don't lose site of how much this impacts the community and the hours of fun that it allows. I think its safe to say we are all very grateful. Cheers,

Tony

Trying the update ASAP !!!

Thanks for the update, I can't wait for the T-Rex too :yay:

EDIT: ...was that a Dilophosaurus ?? Hell yeah !!! :D

Edited by Malcom86

Thank you very much for sending us the updated version :cool:

Update frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Only had time for a very quick test but what I've seen already is very impressive both visually and in terms of the raptor behaviour (found it's way around one of those long fences on Utes to get to me). I like that they're fast and tough.

Is there any easy way to make the raptors enemies to everyone and everyone is enemies to them as if they're their own faction? I know you can do the setfriend and addrating thing but even if they are considered "evil," not only do they not actually attack (just run around as if they are), but if I kill them, my team kills me because I guess they're still considered friendly.

Cool. :)

So, tried to adjust one of my mission for new raptors. Changing addon name in mission.sqm was one thing.

But the main question is about moving the AI raptors - they follow waypoints or doMove, but only at slow, walk speed. How one cam make them run fast somewhere? Forcespeed -1 doesn't work. I need them running somewhere, then start autonomous attack behavior on place, thus player-only raptors don't suffice there. Anyway, there should be possibility to make them run toward pointed position. I hope, there is a way... :)

Edited by Rydygier

Im so glad you guys update new ver of Raptor.

but, Raptor pack still have AGM, and TFAR crash problem.

when i spawn raptor, then Cant use AGM, TFAR.

Is there any easy way to make the raptors enemies to everyone and everyone is enemies to them as if they're their own faction? I know you can do the setfriend and addrating thing but even if they are considered "evil," not only do they not actually attack (just run around as if they are), but if I kill them, my team kills me because I guess they're still considered friendly.

i use neartargets now since it gives me all i need with way less performance drop. a side effect might be that they don't consider certain things as targets if you do addrating stuff. but. we added raptors on all sides and we tested them against all sides. so i don't really see what you mean. why don't you just place opfor raptors against bluefor? or if you want a human battle too you place resistance raptors hostile to everyone? that should make your AI soldiers attack them accordingly.

Cool. :)

So, tried to adjust one of my mission for new raptors. Changing addon name in mission.sqm was one thing.

But the main question is about moving the AI raptors - they follow waypoints or doMove, but only at slow, walk speed. How one cam make them run fast somewhere? Forcespeed -1 doesn't work. I need them running somewhere, then start autonomous attack behavior on place, thus player-only raptors don't suffice there. Anyway, there should be possibility to make them run toward pointed position. I hope, there is a way... :)

sure there is a way. but that's not what they are designed for obviously, they are wild animals with their own will ;).

it's a feature i wanted to add for a while though. it just drowned in all the other things. so you can expect it soonish.

for the time being you'll have to be a bit creative and either spawn them in when you need them or just use player raptors and then when you need it run the AI script on them (could be a bit buggy though)

_dino execFSM 'Rup_Dinosaurs\Scripts\Raptor\AI.fsm';

i already added several global variables for mission makers in the current release which i will explain in a detailed post tonight. but i also plan on adding a setvar or similar to put the AI on a hold loop. i think that will be the best way to control them manually and should cover most needs.

about the class names. it doesn't really matter how popular changing them is, if it's the better solution in the long run. the problem right now is that the CfgPatches change is pretty pointless (left over from starting the global change but deciding against it for now) since the most problematic class names are still badly named. that is due to using too generic names like "Raptor" or "RaptorSkeleton" not using a TAG. that is what caused total bug out when people used this addon with jurassic reign. so the actual unit class names will most definately change soon too.

i know it's inconvinient (if you don't have a text editor like notepad that has a replace function :p) but it's just bad practice using those generic names. so better sooner than later. i know these things can be annoying but keep in mind that things like that can get lost easily in updates that add so many new features. this is just the beginning. it will get more stable and consistent as we go.

Edited by Bad Benson

And its normal? when I spawn raptor via Zeus, and try Zeus Remote to raptor then cant do Jump, and Jump attck, Roaring, anything else.

only my problem? or have to add player Raptor to player list?

i think that will be the best way to control them manually and should cover most needs.

Sounds just fine. :) Mission, I'm talking about is very niche, so I think, I'll just wait for this "official" solution.

it's just bad practice using those generic names. so better sooner than later.

Definitelly.

These are great! Ive been having a Blast all day, couldn't stop messing around with them.. I notice that when you hear a growl then that's the sign that they know about you and attack to follow, would be great if they had some ambient type sound like grunts or groans, or even the attack growl so then player is not sure if they are attacking or not.

One bug I noticed is they are able to 'force' their way through walls if you hide inside, but also in saying that I had them come and attack me inside upstairs no problem, not sure if they were able to open doors though?

Some animations still seem a little glitchy especially when they attack but i get that this is early days, great work all involved.. Really looking forward to seeing this mod grow.

Another thing would be the ability to take something of value from the raptor once killed, like a raptor claw or tooth or something.. Just been messing around and thinking about gameplay options, also maybe to hard but would be cool if they attacked animals and if animals dead or alive could be used as bait lol.

Edited by Katipo66
Gameplay dreaming

i use neartargets now since it gives me all i need with way less performance drop. a side effect might be that they don't consider certain things as targets if you do addrating stuff. but. we added raptors on all sides and we tested them against all sides. so i don't really see what you mean. why don't you just place opfor raptors against bluefor? or if you want a human battle too you place resistance raptors hostile to everyone? that should make your AI soldiers attack them accordingly.

How exactly do you use neartarget? I've never used it before and I can't find any example on the internet that makes sense to me.

These are great! Ive been having a Blast all day, couldn't stop messing around with them.. I notice that when you hear a growl then that's the sign that they know about you and attack to follow, would be great if they had some ambient type sound like grunts or groans, or even the attack growl so then player is not sure if they are attacking or not.

that's a nice idea. will think about it. i actually have some plans with the idle mode to make it more interesting. will have to think about what i leave to mission makers and what i want to be in there always. i'm really glad btw that you are having fun with them. after months of non stop work on them i'm now really proud of them. the first AI was really messy and rushed due to the contest. but now it's very much how i wanted it to be.

i finally had some time playing myself and had a lot of fun. i will be making some missions myself too so there is something in the package for people without editor knowledge.

One bug I noticed is they are able to 'force' their way through walls if you hide inside, but also in saying that I had them come and attack me inside upstairs no problem, not sure if they were able to open doors though

well. arma's general collision problems will be hard to fix and i will rather tend to not even try. the problem is mostly too high speed (compared to humans/vanilla units) or simply their head being too far from their center (causes looking through walls). but as you said, if the house allows it they work actually pretty good indoors for what they are and all things considered.

Another thing would be the ability to take something of value from the raptor once killed, like a raptor claw or tooth or something.. Just been messing around and thinking about gameplay options, also maybe to hard but would be cool if they attacked animals and if animals dead or alive could be used as bait lol.

the animal attacking is planned at least as an option. the AI has it's own priority system that i mentioned in the changelog. if it doesn't impact performance i might just add animals as low priority targets in there by default though.

i really like the idea with the claw/tooth. i was actually thinking about something similar (skulls). not sure the way we handle the inventory will allow it by default (we need to be restrictive to avoid crashes caused by mismatching skeletons). but i'm thinking about making a hunting game mode (loosely inspired by hunter primal) that will include something like it. but probably mission side.

speaking of. you guys should really try to sneak around them and stuff. the way their detection work they should be very similar to vanilla units now. wich means they use all those nice new AI features like surface based stealth values and stuff. in my brief tests with a ghillie suit it seemed like it allowed me to get much closer than a normal unit, if i stayed prone and moved carefully. another thing i'm really proud of is the way escaping from them works. it can be pretty hard but in urban areas you can get away nicely if you do it right. watch out though. while they will go into idle mode once you escaped they will still go investigate your last known position ;)

would love to hear some feedback on that.

on the mission vars. i will give Ruppert some info so he can add it to the first post. better than leaving it on some random page i think.

Edited by Bad Benson

Pretty damn cool! Just a heads up, which might not even be important to you. If you're following the movie theme.. These are Velociraptors in the movie but not IRL. Not sure what you were going for. The actual dinosaur is a Deinonychus.. Velociraptors are the size of chickens and look like them ahaha.

i will be making some missions myself too so there is something in the package for people without editor knowledge.

Look forward to those!

i really like the idea with the claw/tooth. i was actually thinking about something similar (skulls). not sure the way we handle the inventory will allow it by default (we need to be restrictive to avoid crashes caused by mismatching skeletons). but i'm thinking about making a hunting game mode (loosely inspired by hunter primal) that will include something like it. but probably mission side.

Sounds good man, thats how im picturing this mod at the moment, hunting dino's :D

This mod looks excellent and I have played around with the raptors in the editor which illustrates some good mechanics and provides a lot of possible scenarios, well done you guys !

I am not sure if I am missing something here but I could not see a bikey for server side in the download so is this a closed shop regarding independent multiplayer use as I would dearly love to integrate this into my epoch server, in fact if you needed a test platform I would be only to happy to give you the use of my server for testing if you needed one.

Thanks again.

Is anybody else getting random explosions when the AI raptors attack? I have no idea why it's happening.

Edit: Not even attack, they just explode a few seconds after the raptors spawn for me.

Edited by bolbies

Hey BadBenson and McRupert, have you guys changed the raptors classname? Now All my SP missions featuring those dinos are FUBARed cus there´s a missing "dinossaur" addon... (probably the old config had this dinossaur class)

Can I please have the classname so I can edit my mission.sqm and fix them?

[edit] checking a BB´s codefield on a page back, could find the class "Rup_Dinosaurs" so I just changed it on addOnsAuto field on mission.sqm and VOILÃ! Mission is back on track! =)

Otherwise a great and comprehensive update, quite anxious for the incoming "all star" t-rex lol

cheers!

Edited by Corporal_Lib[BR]

I don't know it it's the raptors themselves, class names getting mixed up, or what, but grenades are being thrown by/at the raptors without anybody anywhere near them. You can hear the jingly sound when a grenade hits the ground so they're definitely grenades. Is anybody else having this issue or does someone at least know what's causing this?

Edit: I disabled everything but this addon and there aren't any random grenades so it must be a conflicting mod.

Edit 2: I used a program called Windows Grep to search through every single file in my Arma 3 folder for the word "Raptor" (since every classname in this addon has that word in it). It took six whole hours to go through everything I have but there are no conflictions at all with this addon on my end. Where are these little grenades coming from??

Edited by bolbies

The animation when knocking down a raptor in a vehicle is great :D

I hope that they can be prevented from entering closed buildings cos i need to hide like a little girl!