Sign in to follow this  
TheEdge

RSRR Bulldog

wow. what a beauty. and nice presentation. can't wait to see it ingame. keep it up!

Nice, never heard of this gun... but I think I did once :confused:

Its a shotgun right?

Nice, never heard of this gun... but I think I did once :confused:

Its a shotgun right?

No, it's an M14/M1A 7.62mm rifle in a bullpup chassis.

The real Bulldog 762 platform is made by a company called Short Rifle Stock Systems Inc. (SRSS)

http://www.shortrifles.com/

Nice work Edge, as with all your other models

Thank you, more details to the wep are on the way, even if i learn how get this models into the game, i can make more.

Wow, wish I could have someone make a Masada that looks as good as this sexy beast. Dude your work is beyond top class. Keep it up, love the way it's looking so far.

If someone could give me a hand with this, somebody need to tell me if the edges are too sharp, i saw many portfolios from many other people and their edges are sharp, but some people disagree with sharp edges, and they want soft edges, if i do soft edges, they say the model looks like is plastiline made, i dont understand for what kind of edges i need to work, btw thank you to all interested in my work.

Well, a lot of people tends to make sharp edges on the HP only for render purposes

But when it's about bake it's always better to keep all edges soft as much as you can on the HP. Afterall you don't need to care about the HP looking, it needs to be functional. You need to care only about the results after bake on the LP and if the edges are too sharp the bake it's going to be pretty much useless.

The best way to discover if they are too sharp anyway it's by test-baking.

Remember :

1)all edge +90° needs to be hard(sharp) edges on the low poly and they needs to be separated in the UV

2) Always triangualte the LP mesh before bake

But I bet you already know these stuffs

i saw many portfolios from many other people and their edges are sharp, but some people disagree with sharp edges, and they want soft edges, if i do soft edges, they say the model looks like is plastiline made, i dont understand for what kind of edges i need to work, btw thank you to all interested in my work.

Make a test texture bake at your targeted resolution for a simple object of rifle (e.g. main receiver) and check if the resulting normal map looks good ingame closeup and from a little distance. Too large of an edge and it looks fake, too small and you could as well have not created a HP as the smoothed edge is not visible.

Make a test texture bake at your targeted resolution for a simple object of rifle (e.g. main receiver) and check if the resulting normal map looks good ingame closeup and from a little distance. Too large of an edge and it looks fake, too small and you could as well have not created a HP as the smoothed edge is not visible.

I made the edges sharp when they need to, for example plastics like grips or stock butt, goes soft, but metals and others, goes with little bit hard edges, because i baked in the past models with very soft edges and the model looks like a toy, all rounded, thats why iam asking, if i make sharp edges, in the bake looks rounded how they need to go, thank you for the answers.

it all depends on the baked result, and not on the way you have set the edges, no matter how realistically you did that:

1. the end result is depended of course of the resolution of your texture maps, the UV islands (in fact taking full advantage of the UV resolution, proper packing and if certain UVs are normalized in relation to each other or not)

2. If you are using the support edge + smooth solution then you can just lower the iteration one notch

3. If you are using the OpenSubD solution, then it is easier since you can have a better control over your crease sets, so you can go back and forth without loosing any resolution.

In 99% of the cases, a way to small edge is not gonna show properly in your bakes. Besides the resolution, you also need to take into consideration the AA solutions, mip-maps etc. For instance, all the paralel to the UV coordinates are a lot sharper than any diagonal edge in the same UVW space.

TL;DR: it needs to be somewhere inbetween i guess. Rule of thumb is if the edges show really nice (realistic) in your viewport, chances are that the bake will look look shit. :P

For all the holes inside the model that is a really low count of polys, well done (i never really got the hang of low poly optimisation).

The texture could use a little more black on the attached rails to gain a bit more contrast in relation to the big bulky body. I think dirt and dust is not really needed, the light scratches on the housing are sufficient.

Looks real nice mate, I think some dustyness would look good on it in some of the details, I think it suits things a whole lot better for ArmA to give them that used/in use look.

Easily and quickly achieved using your AO and some quick edits as you probably know.

Look forward to more progress :)