ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

Did you copy the new config file into your userconfig folder?

Version 1.1 Changelog:

-Fixed bullet trajectory not being altered at all when AB_REDUCED_PRECISION was set to false

-Added a humidity simulation, based on real world climate graphs

-Small performance improvement when multiple trajectories are calculated at the same time

Humidity will now depend on the overall climate of your location and vary with temperature and weather (rain & fog) changes.

Edited by Ruthberg

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Is it really intended to have that much bullet dispersion using 12,7x108mm at 720m? Check out this video I created, it is almost impossible to hit target using all that electronic stuff.

Thanks for making a video about the issue. I think I know why your wind correction was wrong.

1. You need to turn into the wind for correct wind measurements

2. I am not sure if your rifle really uses the M118LR ammo

3. You are shooting downhill through an open valley with wind blowing through it. You can expect the wind to be stronger than what you can read from the Kestrel. I would say the wind speed in your video was about 7 m/s. So you could either enter WS 7 and WD 5 or WS 3.5 and WD 3.

Edited by Ruthberg
Added a demonstration video

Did you copy the new config file into your userconfig folder?

Thank you, that solved it. I updated through Armarize, i.e. SIX network, which did not update the config file.

Vapour traces would be an awesome addition, if that is possible. You may want to work with the heat haze effect that you can see on the exhausts of Arma 3's aircrafts and ground vehicles.

Version 1.2 Changelog:

-Add a bullet trace effect (only visible when looking through high power optics)

The intensity of the effect depends on the bullet caliber. It can be disable in the userconfig file.

Edited by Ruthberg

I have a question concerning the last update. Is the bullet effect also visible for the spotter looking through a Binocular or whatever he's using?

You should think about entering this mod into the Addon entry of the Make arma not war contest.

I believe it would have a great chance of winning.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

I have a question concerning the last update. Is the bullet effect also visible for the spotter looking through a Binocular or whatever he's using?
It is intended to be like that, but I haven't had a chance of testing it yet.

Can you/someone put up a video with the new vapor trail effect? I'm at PAX so I won't have any damn time till tuesday to check this stuff out.

The addon seems to collide with Combat Space Enhancement modification. Ballistics seem to follow the solutions I've made (link) rather than the ones calculated by ATragMX.

I can presume AGM does the same, and hence all your problems, guys.

hey i found a video of your mod and it looks like the trajectory doesn't match the firing solution calculated by the ATragMX at all. The Dispersion or the Grouping is also quite huge, even at close range :butbut: is your mod already stable yet?

The firing solutions calculated by the ATragMX - given your input data is of good quality - are very accurate up to at least 1000m. Unless you run other 3rd party mods that also modify the trajectory.

Take a look at those promo videos: https://vimeo.com/user31350477/videos

Version 1.3 Changelog:

-Added mirage effect (only visible when looking through high power scopes and using the parallax adjustment)

-Added parallax adjustment (default key combination: CTRL+UP, CTRL+DOWN)

-Added a userconfig setting that allows to disable the mirage effect and parallax adjustment

-The wind indicator and protractor are now toggled on/off with the corresponding key combinations (they no longer disappear after 10 seconds)

You will be able to read the wind by looking at the mirage. You can move the plane of focus with the help of the newly added parallax adjustment. Mirage will only be visible when looking through a high power scope with an appropriate parallax setting.

Development screenshots that visualize the wind system:

arma3_2014_08_31_20_4xksbh.pngarma3_2014_08_31_20_4yzs1q.pngarma3_2014_08_31_20_5n3sy0.pngarma3_2014_08_31_20_5mlsd9.png

All Red - Normal wind speed

All Green - Zero wind speed

Edited by Ruthberg
Added some development screenshots

I love the mod, but not shooting long range in real life, I'm a little confused by all the advanced effects and how they interact with each other. I have a feeling a lot of the people who complain about it "not working" or "not being stable" might also not understand that just because you put in the numbers from where you are shooting in the ATrag it doesn't mean a guaranteed kill. Is there any way you can add a little wiki or tutorial? I know you have shown us how to measure and enter data in the ATrag, but some of us don't necessarily understand all the physics. Maybe a little glossary of terms and effects, (or point us to one online if you know of a good one). Thanks.

Good point. Creating a small wiki together with some basic ballistic tables is planned. And as always, feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

@vekongmaster, increased dispersion sounds like a conflict with other mods (AGM/CSE/...).

Hey, quick questin. Does your system only take into account the conditions of where I shoot the bullet from, or does the terrain "on the way" influence it as well. So lets say I shoot over a valley, with different wind speeds, will the bullet be affected by these different environments?

And I feel the AtragMX is doing a really good job so far. It is not a magical tool that just makes you hit everything. The Sniper and Spotter have to use their experience and make manual adjustments based on that. So, again, great mod. You brought back a vital part of game-play.

Version 1.4 Changelog:

-Fixed muzzle velocities being read incorrectly from the configuration classes

-Fixed muzzle velocity changes due to muzzle accessories being read incorrectly from the configuration classes

-Fixed muzzle velocity shift due to ammo temperature changes not working at all

This should fix many problems that some of you have had with previous versions.

@stoffl, my system takes the environmental conditions at the current position of the projectile into account. Yes, you can for example shoot from inside a building and would still have to adjust for the wind that affects the bullet on the outside.

This applies, among other things, to:

-Wind

-Barometric Pressure

-Temperature

-Humidity

Edited by Ruthberg

May i tell you how awesome you are sir Ruthberg? yes you are awesome thank you for making the Arma series much better i am having a blast after i fixed my problems, if you remember i told you that was probably an oversight on my part right? so yes as i don't have a permanent connection at home my game was still on the 1.24 version so nothing worked when i brought my computer here to work and updated it everything works fine now so i thank you again for your help.

PS: if you ever need anything from an untalented Brazilian guy just let me know, if you ever come to Brazil I'll make sure to show you where the best chicks roam lol...