ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

OK i did some research and come up with this: Bullet vapour trail depends on humidity (IRL). and in v.1.9 bullet impact sync goes only up to ~500m further than that - trail is visible but no impacts - tested on a dedi (me, my buddy and server had 1.9). I don't really care about trail, but no impacts for me - its a big downer. Even with vanilla we saw impacts to infinity... i'm playing in a recon/sniper division so I need to know where to do the follow-ups.

@Ruthberg & everybody: can you guys give me suggestion on some mods which work perfectly fine with this Advanced Ballistics mod? what other mods you guys use alongside this advanced ballistics to make the game more realistic (scope mod, bipod mod, etc)? and the shooting range with those pop-up targets, what map is that?

@Ruthberg

Found another script error, which occurs when one fires from a vehicle.

Error in expression <};
if (false && currentWeaponMode _unit != "Single") exitWith {};
if (_unit dist>
 Error position: <!= "Single") exitWith {};
if (_unit dist>
 Error Generic error in expression
File advancedballistics\fnc_advanced_ballistics.sqf, line 19

I guess this error occurs because when the fired eventhandler is triggered the unit firing is the vehicle and not a single unit. Combined with currentWeaponMode _unit this returns a number (usually 0) and not a string. This brings me directly to a feature request: Please enable this mod for vehicles aswell or maybe just a lightweight version.

@Ruthberg

1.) Lat/Long error message when starting up new A3 user made Imrali Map.

2.) SHIFT+K (Wind info) always shows a white circle, no matter what wind I set. Why is this?

@Ruthberg

2.) SHIFT+K (Wind info) always shows a white circle, no matter what wind I set. Why is this?

The first error occurs b/c the map is not supported yet I guess. Where are you standing when the white circle appears? The wind behaves according to the terrain and the surrounding environment so near and in houses you measure reduced or no wind, same holds for thick bushes. Further you measure reduced wind on the far side of mountains. In case you are testing it on Imrali it just might be a follow up error from the first one.

You can also read it from the map config using

_latitude =getNumber(configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "latitude");
_longitude =getNumber(configFile >> "CfgWorlds" >> worldName >> "longitude");

If I remember correctly, I did it manually, because the config data was incorrect for some maps. But I will now use it as default value for unkown maps.

Sorry for double post but on side note for the bullet trace. You bound it to only work with "Binocular", "Rangefinder" and "Laserdesignator" in particular and not with any inheriting subclass. To make it compatible with other mods I suggest you use iskindof.
Thanks for the suggestion. It will be part of the next version.
- How should I use parallax adjustment? I see no difference while adjusting that from 300 to infinity.

- Does bullet shock cone effect depend on pressure or temperature? its visible only sometimes...

- How does mirage looks like, I'm might be mistaking that with graphical glitches?

- The only effect of parallax adjustment for now is that you can - under certain circumstances - see mirage through your scope

- Bullet trace visibility depends on bullet speed and caliber

- The mirage visualization is based on Armas particle refraction effect

OK i did some research and come up with this: Bullet vapour trail depends on humidity (IRL).
This mod only simulates bullet trace (air disturbance), not vapour trails (water condensation due to pressure drop).
and in v.1.9 bullet impact sync goes only up to ~500m further than that - trail is visible but no impacts - tested on a dedi (me, my buddy and server had 1.9). I don't really care about trail, but no impacts for me - its a big downer. Even with vanilla we saw impacts to infinity... i'm playing in a recon/sniper division so I need to know where to do the follow-ups.
Thanks for lettimg me know. I will see what I can do about it.
Error in expression <};
if (false && currentWeaponMode _unit != "Single") exitWith {};
if (_unit dist>
 Error position: <!= "Single") exitWith {};
if (_unit dist>
 Error Generic error in expression
File advancedballistics\fnc_advanced_ballistics.sqf, line 19

Will be fixed in the next version.
This brings me directly to a feature request: Please enable this mod for vehicles aswell or maybe just a lightweight version.
As much as I would like to have that, I don't know how well it would work. Edited by Ruthberg

As for the Circle on shift+K. I cannot test enough, because for whatever reason "0 setwindstr 1" / "0 setwindstr 0" -for testing- do not have an effect here. Its a bit weird.

As much as I would like to have that, I don't know how well it would work.
Funny thing, fixing the error above does the trick to enable the addon also for vehicles. I can post you my fixes which I had to do since we've this mod already running on our servers.

Vehicle support was not intended in previous versions.

But I will make it an optional feature in the next version.

Edited by Ruthberg

@Ruthberg: i've been playing your mod (version 1.9), it's truly amazing! Been shooting the .408 CT at extreme ranges on your "360° Training Course" mission using my own Ballistics Solvers & your AtragMX (they give similar firing solutions), always right on targets \m/ as a long range shooter myself, i admit this is totally the best simulator i've ever played!

BUT i've got some burning questions (or critiques) in my head:

1. Muzzle velocity variation due to ammo temp???

where is it? i notice the Muzzle velocity is always the same regardless the atmospheric condition. I shot your pop-up target at 0 meter (i used it as a chronograph lol XD) & it always shows me the same muzzle velocity no matter what the air temperature is. In real life, Ammo Temp will vary depending on the Air Temp, & it causes different Muzzle Velocity (therefore different bullet drop)

2. Downrange Wind reading, where's the Mirage???

i notice your mod simulates 2 types of wind (Uprange Wind & Downrange Wind) where wind will vary due to the terrain which is awesomely very fenomenal! as we all know, the only way to read the downrange wind is estimating it through Mirage, but where the hell is the Mirage? i can't see it no matter what my parallax adjustment is...

3. spin drift & coriolis? Magnus effect??? i don't see them on the AtragMx

i notice some small POI difference (0.1 - 0.2 Mils) in-game from the AtragMX & my solvers, i'm assuming it's due to the spin drift & coriolis, isn't it? did you actually really implement them in your mod? if so, i can easily calculate them on my own solvers :) but why can't we calculate spind drift & coriolis on the AtragMX? and what about Magnus effect (the effect of wind direction on the Bullet Drop. Wind from right will decrease the BD, & otherwise)

4. Absolute/Station Pressure or Barometric Pressure???

what kinda pressure is used in this ballistics mod? Absolute/Station Pressure (the actual air pressure in the location) or Barometric Pressure (air pressure based on altitude)? different types of Air Pressure will result in different firing solutions (i prefer Station Pressure coz it's more accurate). In real life, if you set the reference altitude to 0 meter, then the Kestrel will be reading Station Pressure. If you set the reference altitude to your current altitude, then the Kestrel will be reading Barometric Pressure. do we have to do that on your Kestrel as well?

5. Small calibers (.223 & .308) are also zeroed at 500 m? really dude lol XD???

shooters usually zero small caliber rifle at 100 m. IMO 500 m zero is too much for .223 & .308, hopefully you can change the zero range on the next version...

6. the damage of .408 CT seems so inferior beyond 1600 m ???

i know this subject is more related to Terminal Ballistics than External Ballistics but it kinda annoys me a lil bit. According to my ballistics solvers, even at One Mile, .408 CT still has a kinetic energy of 2200 ft-lbs.

7. would you kindly list some mods which conflict with your mod?

please clarify the mods we're not supposed to run alongside this ballistics mod in order to avoid any conflict which can ruin the trajectory.

8. Would you kindly add another famous cartridge like .308 win SMK, .300 win mag, .338 Lapua Mag, .375 CT, etc?

sorry for being greedy & pushy but yeah i'd really like to see them added to your mod :)

9. what do you mean by the "Guideline for 3rd party weapon/ammunition"???

does it apply when we install a weapon mod (like Robert Hammer, EricJ, etc). if so, please be specific about the guideline coz i'm a noob at scripting lol XD

10. in the future, will you ever plan on making a scope/reticle mod featuring real reticle?

you're a ballistics genius, and i'm really sure you're also able to create a scope mod featuring real reticle (Schmidt&Bender, NightForce, Premier, Leupold, Horus, etc). i'd really like to see Horus H59 Reticle ^_^ i'm kinda bored with BI reticles lol XD

Edited by vekongmaster

1. Muzzle velocity variation due to ammo temp???

where is it? i notice the Muzzle velocity is always the same regardless the atmospheric condition. I shot your pop-up target at 0 meter (i used it as a chronograph lol XD) & it always shows me the same muzzle velocity no matter what the air temperature is. In real life, Ammo Temp will vary depending on the Air Temp, & it causes different Muzzle Velocity (therefore different bullet drop)

Muzzle velocity will vary with air temperature. But the speed at which the bullet leaves the barrel can not be changed dynamically. That is why the velocity vector of the bullet is modified a few frames after it left the barrel.

Maybe you can shoot at a 100m target and reverse calculate the muzzle velocity. Or gradually increase the target range (0m, 1m, 2m, ...) until you see a sudden velocity shift.

2. Downrange Wind reading, where's the Mirage???

i notice your mod simulates 2 types of wind (Uprange Wind & Downrange Wind) where wind will vary due to the terrain which is awesomely very fenomenal! as we all know, the only way to read the downrange wind is estimating it through Mirage, but where the hell is the Mirage? i can't see it no matter what my parallax adjustment is...

I will upload a video that demonstrates the mirage effect soon. But I think I have to improve it nonetheless, since most people seem to have trouble with it.

3. spin drift & coriolis? Magnus effect??? i don't see them on the AtragMx

i notice some small POI difference (0.1 - 0.2 Mils) in-game from the AtragMX & my solvers, i'm assuming it's due to the spin drift & coriolis, isn't it? did you actually really implement them in your mod? if so, i can easily calculate them on my own solvers :) but why can't we calculate spind drift & coriolis on the AtragMX? and what about Magnus effect (the effect of wind direction on the Bullet Drop. Wind from right will decrease the BD, & otherwise)

Spin drift, Coriolis and Eötvös effect are implemented in AdvancedBallistics, but not yet supported by the ATragMX (creating graphical user interfaces in Arma is tedious). Magnus effect - aside from the spin drift caused by it - is not simulated. And I also do not plan on adding it. At some point you have to stop adding more stuff. ^_^

4. Absolute/Station Pressure or Barometric Pressure???

what kinda pressure is used in this ballistics mod? Absolute/Station Pressure (the actual air pressure in the location) or Barometric Pressure (air pressure based on altitude)? different types of Air Pressure will result in different firing solutions (i prefer Station Pressure coz it's more accurate). In real life, if you set the reference altitude to 0 meter, then the Kestrel will be reading Station Pressure. If you set the reference altitude to your current altitude, then the Kestrel will be reading Barometric Pressure. do we have to do that on your Kestrel as well?

All of my mods use absolute pressures. The Kestrel is slightly simplified in this regards. You can not set the reference altitude or reference pressure. It always outputs station pressure and the true altitude. But that might change in future versions. I might also add the density altitude output.

5. Small calibers (.223 & .308) are also zeroed at 500 m? really dude lol XD???

shooters usually zero small caliber rifle at 100 m. IMO 500 m zero is too much for .223 & .308, hopefully you can change the zero range on the next version...

And the zero range of some scopes (SOS, LRPS, ...) by pressing page up/down. You can also change the zero range in the ATragMX gun profiles. A replacement for the vanilla zero system is on the wish list though.

6. the damage of .408 CT seems so inferior beyond 1600 m ???

i know this subject is more related to Terminal Ballistics than External Ballistics but it kinda annoys me a lil bit. According to my ballistics solvers, even at One Mile, .408 CT still has a kinetic energy of 2200 ft-lbs.

Not so easy to fix. I might do some work on terminal ballistics in the future, but I can't promise it. A quick and dirty fix would be to increase the hit value in the ammo config. There are several mods out there that do that.

7. would you kindly list some mods which conflict with your mod?

please clarify the mods we're not supposed to run alongside this ballistics mod in order to avoid any conflict which can ruin the trajectory.

AGM and CSE will conflict with AdvancedBallistics unless you delete agm_wind.pbo and/or cse_sys_winddeflection.pbo.

8. Would you kindly add another famous cartridge like .308 win SMK, .300 win mag, .338 Lapua Mag, .375 CT, etc?

I can add a few more base classes, but it is in the hands of 3rd party weapon developers to create weapons that shoot them and to make their ammunition compatible with AdvancedBallistics.

9. what do you mean by the "Guideline for 3rd party weapon/ammunition"???

does it apply when we install a weapon mod (like Robert Hammer, EricJ, etc). if so, please be specific about the guideline coz i'm a noob at scripting lol XD

This guideline describes what 3rd party developers like EricJ or Robert Hammer would have to do, if they wanted to make their weapons and ammunition compatible with AdvancedBallistics.

10. in the future, will you ever plan on making a scope/reticle mod featuring real reticle?

you're a ballistics genius, and i'm really sure you're also able to create a scope mod featuring real reticle (Schmidt&Bender, NightForce, Premier, Leupold, Horus, etc). i'd really like to see Horus H59 Reticle ^_^ i'm kinda bored with BI reticles lol XD

Haha, I'd love to see a Horus H59 Reticle since I play Arma. But I'm afraid that my artistic talent is just enough to draw a few stick figures ...

@Ruthberg: thanks for the quick response & clarification :) & I thank you so much for creating these wonderful mods, your mods are the most realistic arma mods & the greatest long range shooting simulator ever made! yup these mods truly simulate all aspects of long range shooting and real shooters can use it for real :D you totally should work for BI or ACE team. I highly recommend you to join the "Make Arma Not War" contest :) i will vote for you \m/

p.s.: i found a bug on 360° Training Course (Altis)...whenever i try to check my impact, it'll display some blue ocean instead of my point of impact lol XD

Fixed version: 360_Degree_Training_Course.Altis.pbo

Edit: @vekongmaster, I just found a bug regarding muzzle velocity shifts. It affects all ammo types expect for M80 Ball and will be fixed in the next version.

Edited by Ruthberg

setWindStr does not work reliably and the effect is only temporary - use setWind instead.

Oh no, don't remind me... I pushed it to the back of my mind, because vector maths is 25 years away. Conversions from (strength/direction) to vectorlength (a,b) necessary...

EDIT: Now I remember, quick test in debug window. setwind array was buggy... with "false" argument it abruptly returns back to previous wind. With "true": I went down one by one from [10,10] to [0,0].. and wind stayed the same as if only the first incarnation of setwind worked. Also, "hint str windstr" always showed the same value.

Edited by tortuosit

@Ruthberg: thanks for the fixed 360° Training Course ^_^ totally the best shooting range ever made \m/ wish we had this kinda shooting range in real life lol XD

what's going on with the muzzle velocity shifts? i'm sure you can easily fix it in the next version, you're a genius ;)

Version 2.0 Changelog:

-Added a userconfig entry that allows you to enable the advanced ballistics for rounds fired from vehicles

-Fixed a bug regarding muzzle velocity variation due to ammo temperature

@vekongmaster, the muzzle velocity shift bug was caused by a typo in the config file.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

@Ruthberg

1.) What error message did you get? I just tested it on Imrali and wasn't able to produce an error.

2.) Did using the setWind command fix your problem?

1.) What error message did you get? I just tested it on Imrali and wasn't able to produce an error.

2.) Did using the setWind command fix your problem?

1.) I'm sorry I wasted your time, now I tested with minimal mods and it was probably caused by some mod. No more error message on Imrali 2.) Yes

-Added a userconfig entry that allows you to enable the advanced ballistics for rounds fired from vehicles

Why did you choose to set it to "false" initially? Is it ressource heavy?

Edited by tortuosit

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Why did you choose to set it to "false" initially? Is it ressource heavy?
Lack of poper sight adjustment capabilities. Not yet thoroughly tested - and yes, it might cause frame drops if you have multiple vehicles firing simultaneously.

Lack of poper sight adjustment capabilities. Not yet thoroughly tested - and yes, it might cause frame drops if you have multiple vehicles firing simultaneously.

We tried it with a few Jackals (three I guess) and I didn't experience much of frame drop but I will try to get some people together to make some proper testings.

@Ruthberg: nice job with the version 2.0! now the Muzzle Velocity variation due to Ammo Temp is working perfectly awesome! i've tested it on the pop-up target at 0 meter (the chronograph lol) & now it shows me different Muzzle Velocities depending on the Temp :D now the MV will never be the same & it's really hard to shoot dead on lol but thank God my ballistics solvers have Truing/Calibration feature though lol XD

Ladies & gentlemen, Ruthberg just successfully turned this simulator into a real long range shooting, hell yeah! \m/ ^_^ \m/

anyway, what is the MV of all projectiles for each temp (MV for 0°F, 10°F, 20°F, 30°F, 40°F, 50°F, etc)??? what's the MV variation (Fps/°F or Mps/°C)??? plus, about the coriolis, we can get our latitude from the map, right?

The muzzle velocity shift is currently the same for all rifle calibers.

Velocity shift in feet/s from 0 °F to 100 °F in 10 °F steps:

[-91, -86, -78, -68, -57, -42, -23, 0, 29, 65, 110]

The muzzle velocity can also be affected by using muzzle accessories like suppressors and varies with barrel length.

Here is the config data used in AdvancedBallistics v2.0: http://pastebin.com/0ZFei8QU

Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

@Ruthberg: wow thanks a lot for the loadout parameters! :D ohh one more thing bro, i just installed ASDG Joint Rails & ASDG Joint Muzzles for EricJ weapons mod, will they affect my muzzle velocity and trajectory? will they conflict with your mod?