Sign in to follow this  
beastcat

Range Tables for Mortars

What beginner players?

Let's play a game. PM 300 forum users at random. For every ACE-user that knows how to use the mortars, I'll give you a dollar, and you can give me ten cents for every ACE-user that doesn't.

What beginner players?

Let's play a game. PM 300 forum users at random. For every ACE-user that knows how to use the mortars, I'll give you a dollar, and you can give me ten cents for every ACE-user that doesn't.

That is not neccesarily a bad thing.

Not every feature in the game should be accessible or easy to use.

Take the uavs for instance they are complex and really great but not everyone knows how to use it.

Some of the more sophisticated things like artillery should be complex and unacceptable so that it requires experience and a will to learn to use them .

Not to mention complex and realistic artillery would make the mortars be used more often in mp. Unlike now where everyone avoids mortars or artillery like aids due to how easy they are to make.

The ACE mortars are fun to use, much more fun than the vanilla system where you only need to klick on the map.

The ACE mortars are fun to use, much more fun than the vanilla system where you only need to klick on the map.

I agree.

God yes.

I still remember the deep satisfaction after I managed to use them to wipe out an entire friendly team once I learned to use them.

That is not neccesarily a bad thing.

No, it really is. Every developer in the world would groan in dismay at that statement.

Games are meant to be played.

Sure, some features should have a learning curve and require dedication. But ACE's arty system (which I love to death and can't wait to see in A3) could never, ever be mandatory. And the notoriously arcane, newb-hating ACE team understands that perfectly.

No, it really is.

Sure, some features should have a learning curve and require dedication. But ACE's arty system (which I love to death and can't wait to see in A3) could never, ever be mandatory. And the notoriously arcane, newb-hating ACE team understands that perfectly.

I guess I am a little biased having Taken the time to learn the mortars in ACe and finding them rewarding.

While it does not have to be as complex as the system in ACE , even a little more complexity in the games mortars would be a godsend. The gameplay features within arma 3 that have the most depth and complexity I find to be the best ones.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to use ACE arty too.

Just this evening I was scoring hits at 7km with large elevation differences, using the howitzer without a firing computer.

Don't get me wrong, I know how to use ACE arty too.

Just this evening I was scoring hits at 7km with large elevation differences, using the howitzer without a firing computer.

Awesome.

I just feel like Arma should have some kind of middle ground between the ACE mortars and the ballistic computer that exists now.

I am sure there has to be some way to combine the best of ACE mortars and artillery while at the same time not being so insanely easy like the point and click nature of the BC.

Awesome.

I just feel like Arma should have some kind of middle ground between the ACE mortars and the ballistic computer that exists now.

I am sure there has to be some way to combine the best of ACE mortars and artillery while at the same time not being so insanely easy like the point and click nature of the BC.

This.

ACE is too hard for the general audience, but the current system is so boring and unrewarding.....

So what round is loaded normally? Switching between Short, Medium and Far cannot be done without the Artillery Computer?

Or am I wrong?

Arma3 actually gave us this, with the new LoS sighting system. It's just unfinished, since you can't change the charges of your shells.

I played about with the NATO 82mm mortar here-

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175240-Weapon-tests/page9

Here's an extract from the series of tests-

AA3-mort5_zps89338d99.jpg~original

The test data chart: it's necessary to know the range to the target in order to use this chart.

Example- if the rangefinder reads 315 metres, you'll need an elevation of 70 degrees.

But if the range reads 270 metres you'll need to guess at an elevation of about 73 degrees.

But don't get too fixated on the chart; just use it to get a rough initial idea of what elevation you need, then regard your first round as a "spotting" round, and walk the rest towards the target with the elevation keys and your eyeballs, especially as it's often difficult to get an accurate range reading through shrubbery etc or on flat ground where there's nothing for the laser to get its teeth into..

AA3-mort8_zps452d747c.jpg~original

That mortar system is also missing a way to measure range on the map, for when there's no line of sight.

So what round is loaded normally? Switching between Short, Medium and Far cannot be done without the Artillery Computer?

Or am I wrong?

You can change it with the F key (next weapon, I suppose). You just can't see which one is selected without the computer.

That mortar system is also missing a way to measure range on the map, for when there's no line of sight.

You get the difference of x1,x2 grid and y1,y2 grid then from there you use A squared plus B squared equals C squared. Very easy to script actually for auto calculation.

I'm currently working with Members of our Gaming Group to develop better Troop level / patrol mortars around the 60mm calibre. The current 81mm is just too big to be practical and actually single 81mm Mortar rounds weigh approx 4kg. So Man-packing an 81mm whilst possible, is pretty stupid unless you've got more manpower than good sense.

60mm weigh in at approx 1.2kg.

Here is our range data, based on a Single Charge 0 - 60mm round (muzzle velocity 90m/s - No drag factor applied (yet) )

Range / Angle / Time of Flight / Arc Height

300m = 79.3 degrees = 18.0 seconds = 400m

350m = 77.4 degrees = 17.9 seconds = 390m

400m = 75.5 degrees = 17.8 seconds = 387m

450m = 73.5 degrees = 17.6 seconds = 380m

500m = 71.3 degrees = 17.4 seconds = 370m

550m = 69.0 degress = 17.1 seconds = 360m

600m = 66.7 degrees = 16.8 seconds = 348m

650m = 64.0 degrees = 16.5 seconds = 334m

700m = 61.0 degrees = 16.0 seconds = 316m

Should be done in a few weeks Models are done, it's more CONFIG at the moment...

http://i.imgur.com/XnI5RBa.png (258 kB)

Intention is to adopt the UGL OP-Collimator Holo sights, so you set range using the nearest 50m (from estimate by eye or rangefinder etc) then the sight adjusts to zero at that (Just like the 40mm sights) then get on the bearing and fire.

3ggq.jpg

There will be some skill needed for judging height differences, maybe peppering targets in and around towns etc. It's a close range mortar, designed to fill that gap between the 40mm and the 82mm Mortar, whilst ACE etc is worked on. It's not a true Bipod Mortar, it's a Commando Mortar.

We maybe calling on you guys for assistance in the upcoming weeks.

Mike

Edited by mwnciboo

I'm currently working with Members of our Gaming Group to develop better Troop level / patrol mortars around the 60mm calibre. The current 81mm is just too big to be practical and actually single 81mm Mortar rounds weigh approx 4kg. So Man-packing an 81mm whilst possible, is pretty stupid unless you've got more manpower than good sense.

60mm weigh in at approx 1.2kg.

Here is our range data, based on a Single Charge 0 - 60mm round (muzzle velocity 90m/s - No drag factor applied (yet) )

Range / Angle / Time of Flight / Arc Height

300m = 79.3 degrees = 18.0 seconds = 400m

350m = 77.4 degrees = 17.9 seconds = 390m

400m = 75.5 degrees = 17.8 seconds = 387m

450m = 73.5 degrees = 17.6 seconds = 380m

500m = 71.3 degrees = 17.4 seconds = 370m

550m = 69.0 degress = 17.1 seconds = 360m

600m = 66.7 degrees = 16.8 seconds = 348m

650m = 64.0 degrees = 16.5 seconds = 334m

700m = 61.0 degrees = 16.0 seconds = 316m

Should be done in a few weeks Models are done, it's more CONFIG at the moment...

http://i.imgur.com/XnI5RBa.png (258 kB)

Intention is to adopt the UGL OP-Collimator Holo sights, so you set range using the nearest 50m (from estimate by eye or rangefinder etc) then the sight adjusts to zero at that (Just like the 40mm sights) then get on the bearing and fire.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4746/3ggq.jpg

There will be some skill needed for judging height differences, maybe peppering targets in and around towns etc. It's a close range mortar, designed to fill that gap between the 40mm and the 82mm Mortar, whilst ACE etc is worked on. It's not a true Bipod Mortar, it's a Commando Mortar.

We maybe calling on you guys for assistance in the upcoming weeks.

Mike

I have seen a video not long ago of these types of mortars being used in combat and I thought that those would be really nice to have in ArmA. Good luck with the mod, I'm exited already.

Yeah I was inspired by use of this in the field (I saw a couple knocking around in Theatre, as part of a UOR rapid roll out). But this footage inspired me, and I could instantly see the utility (Also much bigger Smoke screens would be better for infantry charging open ground or areas of exposure).

Simple, light, effective.

I will be sorting the config, with the calibre etc so that it should damage light armoured vehicles (Destroy tires, knock out guns, emplacements, should have a chance on a direct hit to destroy a Hunter, Striker, Ifrit and all soft skin vehicles - Shouldn't be able to affect Medium Armour, APC's etc (although might DMG out HMG's on top of vehicles if the shrapnel hits the right spot).

Edited by mwnciboo

mwnciboo, before this, I didn't know mortars like that even existed, but now I want one so bad. For myself and Arma. :yay:

Those things would fit the game perfectly! I really hope you get it done. Good luck!

60mm sure looks nice, but it doesn't look like it's doing anything to those target dummies, are they made out of solid steel?

They don't even seem to twitch unless it's a direct hit. Or am I missing something?

Ah disregard my comment, just saw the shrapnel at the end of the video.

@Grumpy - No Problem, as we work on this I can see some pretty significant hurdles coming up, especially given the nature of a Commando Mortar being more like a scaled up 40mm (in terms of operation) than a normal bipod mortar (which needs to be dialed in carefully and have some really precise 3rd party targetting!).

Also this was used in Afghanistan - watch this one...1:30 0nwards they set up a 60mm and start punishing them.

Edited by mwnciboo

Hi All :-)

is there an equation to calculate the ETA of the Mortar round?

regards