Sign in to follow this  
Sillywabbit

Do you have a monster pc?

sa-matra wasteland runs between 40 and 60 (capped) fps for me with system in signature, depending on the area im in, can post video or stream if people are interested in proof

ohhh 780ti could u go into a high player tkoth (by sa-mantra) and take a video ?

I run Arma 3 with the worst graphics card here, not designed for intense gaming

And yet I get 20-30 FPS in multiplayer.

Its because I use this secret weapon ;)

Specs:

Nvidia GeForce 410M (not overclocked)

Intel Quad core

4 GB Ram

No SSD

Without it I could only run 15 FPS max in MP.

So no, I don't have a monster PC or meet the minimum specs to run the game (by far). But it does extremely well for my weakling laptop

Edited by DigitalGeo

You can have the biggest rig in the world as long as the server fps are low you won't have a good framerate too.

As many said, it depends on the mission you're playing on.

launch option: -nosplash -noLogs -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -enableHT -maxMem=8192 -maxVRAM=3072

That -maxMem=8192 won't help you, man. Read this. (Yeah, it's same for A3 as for A2, this param)

When will the people learn?

That -maxMem=8192 won't help you, man. Read this. (Yeah, it's same for A3 as for A2, this param)

When will the people learn?

they change it to 3072MB(currently only on DEV) and might increase more

You can have the biggest rig in the world as long as the server fps are low you won't have a good framerate too.

As many said, it depends on the mission you're playing on.

Why would a server have frames per seconds??

Why would a server have frames per seconds??

He means Calculations Per Second, commonly referred to as server FPS.

they change it to 3072MB(currently only on DEV) and might increase more

It was removed 2 days later for causing crashes. And I believe it will not be in the next stable update today. :(

He means Calculations Per Second, commonly referred to as server FPS.

server fps = simulation cycles per sec.

server cps = condition evaluations per sec.

2 different things.

On that note, I've been running a server locally to host my own missions. I also use VAS and AI cache and distribution (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23929).

I have a mission in Kavala where I start in the castle and try to take over the town, which has 200 AI locally (some friendly infantry, most are enemy infantry and maybe 10 armor).

What I've noticed is that GPU goes to sleep almost instantly when I launch that mission, GPU is at the lowest clocks possible in 3D apps (500mhz core and 800 Mhz memory).

I run a persistent world so the server keeps running even if I disconnect. As soon as I alt-tab to desktop, server FPS goes up by 10 fps. I don't see why client would affect server performance but it does.

I am monitoring CPU use, GPU use and running arma 3 server monitor.

My specs:

Amd FX-8350 8-core.

1600 Mhz RAM, Crucial CL 9.

Nvidia GTX 760.

At no point does CPU total usage go past 60%.

I tried with setting affinity, had no effect.

With the addon AI cache...I get maybe 10 fps more on the client.

My fps is lowest when I'm up in the castle, 20 fps or so. Doesnt matter if I look in the sky or what. But as soon as I start going down to town, fps goes up a bit and gets even better when Im on the outskirts of town. 100m from nearest house. Here I'm getting 30 fps. None of that sluggish aiming. Of course I have artillery support etc so destroyed buildings in town is a fact.

My theory is that it isn't CPU or GPU that is limiting performance. Something clogs up the whole system, so CPU doesn't get much of a workload and GPU is idling.

Why? Because client rendering affects server performance. My CPU isnt running at 100% usage. That leaves memory/cache misses imho.

To note: Servers amount of memory used has been 1500megabytes at its peak but it starts at 900 megabytes. So it's not like I'm crossing the 2GB/3GB boundary either.

I am running 13 mods enabled on both server and client.

Using TADST to launch dedicated server. View distance 2000m, 25 Grids. I also use @nograss-mod so grass doesn't get rendered.

Not using Headless Client as I haven't figured out how to do that yet. It is enabled in TADST but I don't have a HC slot in MP mission.

I had 150 AI placed in town to begin with. Performance is pretty much the same as 200 AI.

In the long run, performance degrades really badly. At one point I was getting 8-9 fps. Thats after maybe an hour or two, when there isn't a lot of AI around anymore. I was standing in the castle at this point, overlooking the town. There seems to be something about that castle. Culling issues? I don't know.

And while I'm on the subject, my firendly AI gets stuck in the castle more often than not, trying to climb down the walls but gets stuck inside walls or falls to their deaths. Example video:

And then theres sound delays. It takes 2 seconds before a sound is played, sometimes my shots but always if an AI infantry is shooting at me, really weird feeling when you hear gunshots from a dead enemy. Video example:

Videos recorded with Bandicam, I'm loosing 1-2 FPS because of that.

Edited by mamasan8

Here's a monster thread about Low CPU utilization: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147533-Low-CPU-utilization-amp-Low-FPS

If I have understood correctly, low CPU usage doesn't mean the CPU is just idling. It only looks like that because the different running threads are tied together. So when one is taking long to finish its job, the ones which depend on its completion have to wait. These waits happen so fast and in succession and are spread among different cores that monitoring programs see it as just low usage. This might make you think that a faster CPU wouldn't help because the game isn't even fully using the slower CPU. But it's in fact the opposite, a faster CPU will improve performance.

And your GPU is falling asleep only because the CPU can't give it enough work.

Guys will it make any difference if I upgrade from GTX 570 to GTX 770?

server fps = simulation cycles per sec.

server cps = condition evaluations per sec.

2 different things.

Damn, I always mix the abbreviations :icon_mad:

Thanks for clarification.

Guys will it make any difference if I upgrade from GTX 570 to GTX 770?

Probably not much, unless the 570 is currently limiting your performance, i.e. near 100% usage.

But if you upgrade, you can set some graphic options a bit higher so the game looks better at least. :)

Thank you Greenfist , exactly as I expected. I can see that my graphics card runs att 100%(not always) usage during gameplay .

Thank you Greenfist , exactly as I expected. I can see that my graphics card runs att 100%(not always) usage during gameplay .

If you get a 770, please do tell how it affects your performance, as I'm also running a 570 and am thinking of upgrading.

If you get a 770, please do tell how it affects your performance, as I'm also running a 570 and am thinking of upgrading.

No problem I will do that :)