Sign in to follow this  
MaxiWilliam

revamped the CSAT PLZ !! :(

Do you want Revamped CSAT skin outfit  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Revamped CSAT skin outfit

• Yes we want !!!
    • No

That's why for instance the SS asked Hugo Boss to design their uniforms. To attract more recruits.

But you are right, uniforms must be comfortable and pragmatic, that's one of the main points in which the CSAT uniform fails. It would be really annoying and uncomfortable to wear that metallic steampunk stuff. Try to roll in the floor with something like that, or to carry heavy rucksacks, go through water, mud, snow, etc.

If nowadays vests are already a bit clunky, which make that soldiers remove parts of them ( losing protection or capabilities ), after all what all soldiers want is to have light equipment that doesn't disturb their mobility. Again, just the opposite of the CSAT design.

Not to talk about the weather, in hot places that would be hell and dehydrate the soldiers, and in cold environments it would keep any piece of snow inside, etc.

Basically it's the anti-uniform.

It would not be any less uncomfortable than a diving suit, and much, much more comfortable than a MOPP style NBC suit. The suit would be skintight underneath by necessity: it needs skin contact to draw away the heat. Again, the suit is thermo-regulating, so it maintains a pre-selected skin surface temperature up to the maximum outside temperature the climate unit can cope with. This system has been used for ages in space suits, and is now being used to thermoregulate the bodies of tank crews. Solid-state technology for the infantryman is not unfeasible.

Additionally, you can design the uniform this way to specially interface with exoskeletons (Why these aren't ingame, I have no clue.) as well as armor modules. The VR suit probably comes close to how the CSAT Uniform looks underneath the camouflage fatigues.

It is not a conventional uniform, and probably makes the individual CSAT soldier equipped in this way much more expensive. Then again, he would be better camouflaged against heat-sensitive observation equipment AND be able to fight in any weather and climate as if it were a comfortable 20 degrees outside. Nato soldiers will feel the cold, and they will feel the heat: CSAT soldiers, as long as their heat sink works, don't. Without heat stress, they would be much, much more combat effective.

As for the overall design, maybe it's not aesthetically pleasing to some, but I like them quite a lot. So much in fact that I dislike how nerfed their uniforms are with regards to thermal camouflage (though that could be because of a flawed design, so there's that.) and the fact that they don't simulate video feeds, etc.

But it would be nice if BI themselves could confirm what the Uniform is supposed to do/not do, because what I'm doing here is really just conjecture. How about a nice manufacturing stat poster?

The worst thing IMO is the steampunk thing in their shoulders/neck, then the globes, and after all the helmets. The helmets, just removing the wire should be more or less fine ( a la GRU ).

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/moscow_hostage_incident/mos10.jpg

'Steampunk thing'? It's just a heatsink to reduce their thermal signature and/or cool the body. Nothing odd about it.

And just because the helmet doesn't look exactly like every helmet you've ever seen means it's bad? I think BI is doing a great thing mixing it up with some new, creative content instead of just copying what shows up in the world.

And just because the helmet doesn't look exactly like every helmet you've ever seen means it's bad? I think BI is doing a great thing mixing it up with some new, creative content instead of just copying what shows up in the world.

You seem to miss the point that the OFP / Arma series are about realistic and actual stuff, not about futuristic sci-fi. And for us, the fans that have been following the series for more than ten years ( so basically the ones that wi our money have made this series possible ) the new setting is just upsetting and basically a treason.

I don't have any problem with sci-fi futuristic games, BI can work on Take on Mars for that matters, but keep the Arma series clean of odd stuff.

You seem to miss the point that the OFP / Arma series are about realistic and actual stuff, not about futuristic sci-fi. And for us, the fans that have been following the series for more than ten years ( so basically the ones that wi our money have made this series possible ) the new setting is just upsetting and basically a treason.

I don't have any problem with sci-fi futuristic games, BI can work on Take on Mars for that matters, but keep the Arma series clean of odd stuff.

Kind of incorrect to speak for everyone - I see plenty of guys within this thread which disagree with you. I followed the series from OFP times too - and I wouldn't mind realistic future gear. ArmA is about realistic combat for me and many, not about super-authentic M16's.

After all, we have commercial exosuits now.

Kind of incorrect to speak for everyone - I see plenty of guys within this thread which disagree with you.

Just read this forums even before the release of A3, you will see what the majority of "veterans" of the series think ( well a lot of posts have been deleted because of the harsh words they used, imagine how big was the upset ).

Just read this forums even before the release of A3, you will see what the majority of "veterans" of the series think ( well a lot of posts have been deleted because of the harsh words they used, imagine how big was the upset ).

Proof, that it was the majority? Might have as well been vocal minority.

See false consensus effect

Also, for example, I was pretty satisfied with the direction A3 was going in and didn't deem it worthy to go on forums before Alpha. Turns out, in vain - the reactive but loud part of community had already spoiled the game - by removing what they deemed sci-fi. And again, I am a veteran too.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Proof, that it was the majority? Might have as well been vocal minority.

See false consensus effect

Well if most of the people in the forums are just a vocal minority, if most of the addon/mod makers are a vocal minority, if the people in the Steam forums and in Gaming are a vocal minority, and a long etc. What a vocal minority...

Well if most of the people in the forums are just a vocal minority, if most of the addon/mod makers are a vocal minority, if the people in the Steam forums and in Gaming are a vocal minority, and a long etc. What a vocal minority...

Proof that it's "most people". Without a poll, I call BS.

You're just overestimating how many people share your conservatism.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Proof that it's "most people". Without a poll, I call BS.

You're just overestimating how many people share your conservatism.

Of course. Just look around the Arma community and what kind of addons are being made and what kind of missions. Which is awesome because the A3 engine is way better IMO than A2, so with the awesome addon makers of this community we are starting to have really good and realistic vehicles.

You just have to look at the RHS's Russian Armed Forces ( and see how many people follow them in the Facebook, or with any other realistic mods pages ).

We will see in a year or so, how many people uses the vanilla or sci-fi futuristic addons ;)

Edited by MistyRonin

Of course. Just look around the Arma community and what kind of addons are being made and what kind of missions. Which is awesome because the A3 engine is way better IMO than A2, so with the awesome addon makers of this community we are starting to have really good and realistic vehicles.

You just have to look at the RHS's Russian Armed Forces ( and see how many people follow them in the Facebook, or with any other realistic mods pages ).

We will see in a year or so, how many people uses the vanilla or sci-fi futuristic addons ;)

Right, when the communism is built, I'll see your point.

I see most people are playing vanilla, vanilla+TMR, vanilla+TFAR, custom maps etc. I have yet to see a mission which doesn't allow MX - which means the real majority are fine with futuristic rifle. And yeah, 100% of people are playing with futuristic addons now (which are the core game)

Don't forget to discount 95% of addons - which are remakes of old packs or straight ports from A2 data. RHS is a remake; Sudden's Russians are futuristic. 1:0.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Right, when the communism is built, I'll see your point.

What does communism have to do with how people play Arma 3?

Just don't forget to discount 95% of addons - which are remakes of old packs or straight ports from A2 data. RHS is a remake.

Why should we discount anything? We are talking of what setting people prefer. What matters it's what people use/want. And yeah it seems people prefer ports, remakes, and all the realistic stuff than the sci-fi stuff of the new Arma 3.

RHS is a remake.

People at RHS that have been working hard with the new models and textures will love that disdain phrase ( including the completely brand new BMD3 and BMD4 families, Sprud, BMP3, 2S3, etc. ).

What does communism have to do with how people play Arma 3?

Why should we discount anything? We are talking of what setting people prefer. What matters it's what people use/want. And yeah it seems people prefer ports, remakes, and all the realistic stuff than the sci-fi stuff of the new Arma 3.

People at RHS that have been working hard with the new models and textures will love that disdain phrase ( including the completely brand new BMD3 and BMD4 families, Sprud, BMP3, 2S3, etc. ).

1. You are offering to wait until some future, where everything would change and hardcore people rewarded. Just like communist future (which never happened)

2. Because it'easy to make a good addon by converting existing stuff, so number of addons is a bad indication. RHS Russian Forces is one addon (let's leave it aside for now), which is shadowed by 30 conversions of A2 models. I'm not saying it's bad - it's just a fact. Respect to addon makers has nothing to do with that.

3. As for what people use - you saw above. The majority you love mentioning just doesn't care, as long as the game is fun.

Edited by DarkWanderer

1. You are offering to wait until some future, where everything would change and hardcore [...].

I'm sorry but your last comment doesn't make any sense to me.

It's clear that people are not happy with the A3 setting, this forums, Steam ones, etc are a witness of it. Also the fact that most of the mod/addon makers are creating realistic stuff being actual or past, proves my point.

To me there is no point to discuss obvious facts. If you are happy saying that milk is black. Be my guest.

Edited by MistyRonin

this looks pretty cool and very nice OPFOR in this game should look like this using the camo in the picture, and actual ingame camo, i don't like opfors from outer space or from mars (actually ingame opfor look)

this looks pretty cool and very nice OPFOR in this game should look like this using the camo in the picture, and actual ingame camo, i don't like opfors from outer space or from mars (actually ingame opfor look)

It's already released and it has even a replacement pack ( so you can play the vanilla campaign and missions with this new look ), check it in the Complete addons forum.

It's clear that people are not happy with the A3 setting, this forums, Steam ones, etc are a witness of it. Also the fact that most of the mod/addon makers are creating realistic stuff being actual or past, proves my point.

To me there is no point to discuss obvious facts. If you are happy saying that milk is black. Be my guest.

Good luck living in dreamworld.

It's clear that some people are not happy with the A3 setting, this forums, Steam ones, etc are a witness of it.

I really like the current CSAT uniforms. It's just something different, and I don't think it looks out of place. You are also just assuming that the suit is uncomfortable to wear when you really have no way to tell. It might be and CSAT high command just didn't give a shit and issued it to their troops just because "we paid for development". Has happened before. Who know? But as you see it makes us discuss things, wonder about the possiblities of the gear. I like that. Just saying "change it because they look like bugs" is just calling for a change because of personal preference.

I even wonder why you need to call BI for a change when 95% of the modders hate the futuristic setting? There are already replacement mods just like the one you posted, many really good addons of current forces and a lot more stuff in the pipe. Just use it, play with it and have fun. But it seems like you are coming here trying to get everybody else playing the game the way you think it should look like, if he wants or not. Whats the point?

EDIT: Even the poll shows a majority says "No". Looks like 90% of the forum missed this thread.

Meathook, next time read properly.

Just saying "change it because they look like bugs" is just calling for a change because of personal preference.

Where have I said that?

I even wonder why you need to call BI for a change when 95% of the modders hate the futuristic setting?

Where have I said that?

But it seems like you are coming here trying to get everybody else playing the game the way you think it should look like, if he wants or not. Whats the point?

Where have I said how people should play the game in any specific way?

EDIT: Even the poll shows a majority says "No". Looks like 90% of the forum missed this thread.

I thought that the question of the poll was: Do you want Revamped CSAT skin outfit. What does it have to do if people likes the new setting or not. Maybe people just want BI to focus on other things while using already released replacement addons ( like me ).

the ugly csat need a normal uniform ;) that what we have now, is better a very smal special groub inside the csat.

Meathook, next time read properly.

[...]

Sorry if it sounded like I was only adressing you, the quote was meant to show my general disagreement with the message that "everybody" doesn't like it. You may not have worded out "everybody", but "It's clear that people are not happy [...]" may be taken as at least a lot. The rest of my post was more directed towards the thread itself then to you. I apologize for not making that more clear from the beginning.

I like the CSAT gear and camo and wouldn't want it to be changed. That mentioned replacement mod on the other hand makes the faction look extremely generic and boring.

I apologize for not making that more clear from the beginning.

No problem. It looked to me like if you were referring to me ( as I was the one quoted ).

if you put the russian chest rig from arma 2 isn't so futuristic,

10400024_10204239381489825_1675475550203911333_n.jpg

Ya, if you take away the gloves and the neck they look fairly normal with body armour. The LBVs just enhance the sci-fi look by showing the upper body with the extra protection and future-looking thangs.