Sign in to follow this  
Reuter

Can we get rid of the Michal Bay stuff?

Shoot a car into the engine - it explodes.

Crashing a car into a tree - it explodes.

Crashing a car into another car - both explode.

Some game mechanics tend to remind me of GTA more often than not.

In most cases it would be sufficient to make the cars simply catch fire instead.

Edited by Reuter

yup. it has to go! it's ridiculous. where are the realism fanatics when you need them? ;)

After playing Star Citizen alpha abit I tend to agree with you. It's insane the amount of emergent gameplay that manifests with a true physics based damage model. Every pipe or vent that is damaged effects you in real time whether it be subsystems or blown out thrusters in which the ship will now fly according to that physically damaged thruster missing -just amazing

After playing Star Citizen alpha abit I tend to agree with you. It's insane the amount of emergent gameplay that manifests with a true physics based damage model. Every pipe or vent that is damaged effects you in real time whether it be subsystems or blown out thrusters in which the ship will now fly according to that physically damaged thruster missing -just amazing

This is probably a little much to hope for, but they could at least make cars not explode, ever. This is one of those small things that it's just kind of mind boggling that they haven't changed by now. It's something that the community has been modding out for a couple of games, now. Like, why is this even still a thing?

Please add some kind of smoke effect for cars that are about to explode. ATM it's basically impossible to see if a car is about to explode!

I couldn't agree more. I'll just post what I wrote in the ticket I linked below: I would like to see no explosions AT ALL, especially for civilian vehicles that carry no ammo. Deflagrations yes, after catastrophic damage to the vehicle. But current detonations are annoying.

The corresponding ticket, issued only a few days after alpha launch:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4148

Yeah, if it weren't for the inevitable explosion, vehicle damage is actually fairly well handled. Its just that everything seems to have to blow up when it is disabled which is dumb.

The other day I was bored and tried shooting the driver of an Hunter with an MX. Didn't do anything. Then I say "Hey I'm sure a .50 cal would punch through that glass.". Tested it out, and sure enough it did. It made me happy because I love to see that kind of detail and penetration simulation. Then I went and shot the gunners glass twice. The entire car blew up. How dumb is that? You guys are so close to having a "reasonable" damage system for your vehicles, please just take out the explosions!

Were you playing stable? Because for a while now on dev (and now on stable since 1.22), MRAPs have been virtually indestructible if you're using anything less than a demo charge. They still blow up, but only after a significant amount of damage. Other vehicles still blow up too easily, but MRAPs are now much closer to what they should be (actually I think it's a little overdone).

Devs themselves said that Hunter and Strider are only supposed to protect against 7.62 but Strider is meant to protect against .50-cal. I think this is working as intended, but yea, the explosions have to go.

The most annoying thing about the cars exploding is the sheer power of the explosion, it brings down houses and obliterates whole squads, even MBTs, that really really needs to go and even if the cars have to explode, make them at least weak enough so they don't level everything within few meters.

Surely enough a car can burst violently into flames if fuel (gasoline, not diesel) leaks occur, but that still doesn't have the power to destroy anything, besides burn damage that is.

Even tanks does not explode like that. I have seen a T72 being destroyed with it's fuel catching fire. Did it blow up like in Arma3? Nope. A hatch on the top of the tank blew up and flew away and the opening from the hatch became like a flamethrower, hurling a 20 - 30 meter flame straight up into the air for a few seconds. There was a soldier using the tank as cover. Did he blow up? Nope. He ran away unscratched. There was no explosion.

Were you playing stable? Because for a while now on dev (and now on stable since 1.22), MRAPs have been virtually indestructible if you're using anything less than a demo charge. They still blow up, but only after a significant amount of damage. Other vehicles still blow up too easily, but MRAPs are now much closer to what they should be (actually I think it's a little overdone).

It was 1.22 stable but I have spread false info. In the mission I was playing there are enemy AT in the distance. While I was shooting the hunter I think a rocket hit it and I mistook it for my .50. Oops, hehe.

Yeah the hunters are pretty much tanks now.

But regardless the issue still persists. Basically if you shoot anything enough times, anywhere, with a strong enough gun, it will explode, in my experience. For example unleashing on an offroad bumper with a .50 cal machinegun will cause it to explode. (I made sure to test that one proper). That doesn't make sense.

it really is ridiculous. they need to bring back the flaming car from arma 2 but this time. it would be preferred to let the car ignite then swap 2 or 3 transparent burn textures on the normal model for like 10 minutes then swap the model to destroyed.

Even tanks does not explode like that. I have seen a T72 being destroyed with it's fuel catching fire. Did it blow up like in Arma3? Nope. A hatch on the top of the tank blew up and flew away and the opening from the hatch became like a flamethrower, hurling a 20 - 30 meter flame straight up into the air for a few seconds. There was a soldier using the tank as cover. Did he blow up? Nope. He ran away unscratched. There was no explosion.

Oh, tanks will definitely explode. What you saw was a slow cook-off, and not a simultaneous sympathetic detonation of every shell from a heavy hit. When that happens, the 15-ton turret can be hurled several stories into the air.

Sure. That is not uncommon. Here's a perfect example from a TOW test:

Thats not quite what we have ingame though.

Yeah, I miss ACE's catastrophic detonation and cook-off effects.

I'm afraid we can't. It was suggested dozens of times but nothing has changed, so let's face it - BI apparently doesn't care much.