Sign in to follow this  
Forester155

Hiring Modder (Details ITT!)

Okay, I need a few mods made. I'll post each one with a price tag, RSVP with a PM if you're interested in taking the job. You can 'reserve' it, if you'd like, and I'll update the topic, but I won't pay until I have a finished product in-hand.

Name:Zeus Nuke Support

Required Materials:http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170602-ArmA-III-Nuke-Script-Port-from-ArmA-II

Required Format:Packaged Addon

Description:A support for zeus, listed under the supports category, which will cause the designated script to activate at the targeted location. Any missile/rocket effects are bonus.

Extra Requests:Please replace the nuke sound with something better (I have a couple files in mind, but if you know one that'd be great too)

Price Tag:20$

Name:Civillian/Infantry Switcher

Required Materials:N/A

Required Format:Packaged Addon

Description:A player-side scroll menu option which allows the player to turn into a civillian. The player will be forced to drop all equipment on person to do so. When a civillian, any past formed AI relationships will remain (IE: If a soldier saw him when he was still a soldier, the solder will kill him.) but new relationships will be formed based on the players current status (IE: if a soldier sees him as a civillian, but never as an opfor, the soldier will not engage)

Extra Requests:If possible, also make the civillians unable to board non-civillian vehicles.

Price Tag:30$

I'm negotiable on the prices, if you think this is too meager tell me why, and I might pay more. Thanks!

MODS: I didn't see anything against this in the rules, but if it is against the rules, please delete this topic. If it isn't against the rules, please edit this topic and remove the red text. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------

In case it's unclear: I am NOT asking to purchase a mod. I am offering a cash incentive to whomever decides to build the mod. The mod is still, and always will be, the creative property of the person who made it, whom can choose to upload it for everyone for free, or not.

Edited by Forester155

I know some people will bite at this, but it really does go against community spirit. Why not just ask for the scripts, and see what people can come up with. So considering someone does write this, does it become YOUR script and you won't share?

I don't intend to hold onto it forever, no. In a perfect world, I'd like to hold onto it until after my event is over, but I understand the community spirit and don't intend for me to have "exclusive rights" to these mods. I'm just interested in getting them made, and money is a good motivator. I know the nuke isn't difficult at all, I think I high-balled that one, actually. But I don't even know if the civ switcher is possible, it seems plausible, but I don't know. The money is, imo, just to motivate someone to actually do these, and do them well, within a deadline. It makes no difference to me if anybody else has them. lol

Essentially, the only reason I want to pay is because I expect quality work, and I expect it within a deadline. I think the community does deserve these mods once they're finished.

Edited by Forester155

Forester155 show good values. The Arma content creator community moved a bit too close to slavery, abuses and disrespects, in the last few years.

Forester155 show good values. The Arma content creator community moved a bit too close to slavery, abuses and disrespects, in the last few years.

lol ty now all i need is someone to actually bite on this. XD

I understand you are doing this with good intentions, but this seems like a really bad idea with the potential to set a bad precedent.

I really, really wish you wouldn't do this.

I dont like the spirit of this thread. Its a huge amount of work for modders to develop mods in their free time. I think its okay to donate after a mod is done but to request a mod with a pre announcend payment is nothing more than a payed job.

Don't Like... :rolleyes:

Maybe he's afraid it'll get lost amongst the hundreds of pages in the Addon Request thread?? I'm not condoning it, just saying.

Not much of a motivator 20 dollars is it i would not even get out of bed for that save your pocket money and do some reading and you could make it your self

20 USD for the first one looks like an easy buck to me, I'd go so far as to call it overpriced. But demand and supply determine prices, not gut feelings. :)

Moving a weapon into Zeus? I've not used Zeus much, but that doesn't strike me as the worst challenge. Get the weapon pbo, check license isn't prohibitive, add an init.sqf or similar that is called upon start to make go boom, make standalone with required addons listed, release -> user adds vehicle to Zeus game, init.sqf takes care of the explosion.

Kind of the unspoken rule is you contact people you are interested in doing the work directly with your proposal instead of making a public post. I've never seen it against the rules soliciting work for hire (time and labor costs) but I've also never seen BIS or anyone encourage or much less say you can, which leads to why you don't make it public. Just my two cents.

It's just generally best for the community as a whole to not get money involved in custom content creation.

That's the intent though? I'm paying the modder to do the job quick, and extra carefully? I'd rather state my intentions outright than be cryptic.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

20$ for many, many work hours? Right.

Mounting the nuke isn't many hours of work, I understand what has to be done and it's very basic, I just don't have the skillset/experience to do it.

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

20 USD for the first one looks like an easy buck to me, I'd go so far as to call it overpriced. But demand and supply determine prices, not gut feelings. :)

Yeah, I highballed the hell out of the first one, and lowballed the hell out of the second. Figure it evens out if you take both. :P I've got a guy interested in the work, but I'm not closing this topic until he accepts it.

That's the intent though? I'm paying the modder to do the job quick, and extra carefully? I'd rather state my intentions outright than be cryptic.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Mounting the nuke isn't many hours of work, I understand what has to be done and it's very basic, I just don't have the skillset/experience to do it.

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Yeah, I highballed the hell out of the first one, and lowballed the hell out of the second. Figure it evens out if you take both. :P I've got a guy interested in the work, but I'm not closing this topic until he accepts it.

Glad you seem to "get" the work put into doing some of this stuff. However nothing in ARMA is a quick 1 2 go for mod making, everything requires testing, writing and re-writing configs, sqfs etc, This is not worth my time money wise, however on principle I may just crack these out and just release them publicly without all this shady crap.

To give you an idea, my OHally's Boats modification (relatively simple mod) took about 36 hours to pin down to a releasable state. That was a config file and a script or two. so at your going rate that is 1.8 to 1.2 $/hr, now thanks...

Coming from a development forum like XDA for Android, with a hundred variations of phones and code to be tested many members have taken up putting bounties on certain features to gain interest to specific Hardware or features.

I have a lot of things I'd like to see added to Arma 3 myself, and do not have the skills to make them in any reasonable amount of time. I would be willing to donate money to a person that finishes these, and I'm sure others would as well.

At XDA, a bounty Thread would go up with the requirements for a completed product (Example for Arma: AAVP-7A1, modeled interior, custom model, ect) and the bounty "pot" and individual pledges. The more interest, the more the bounty goes up. High demand, high reward. I think that's what BIS was going for with "Make Arma not War". A bounty for Total Conversions and the like. But individual content is important to the feel as well. I have no problem with this kind of Thread, and money makes the world turn. Others my turn down the money because they like creating, but some may be more motivated to produce content if theres a paycheck at the end of the rainbow.

The spirit is still alive, but it also gives an indicator of what items are in higher demand by the community as well.

Example of a [bOUNTY] Thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2728051

Edited by beaujangles233

That's great and all but in video game modding it can very easily turn into people charging for third party content or locking all their downloads behind ad.fly links.

I mean, it's gotten so prevalent in the flight sim community that the BMS team specifically banned people from charging for mods for BMS.

That's great and all but in video game modding it can very easily turn into people charging for third party content or locking all their downloads behind ad.fly links.

Taking the example link I provided, it'd be more community driven rather than content driven. Members of the community pledge to a Thread dedicated to a single Addon idea with requirements to be met, then the person who delivers on those requirements would go to the individuals that pledge and get their payment. The amount may be individually small, but the total pot may become quite large for high demand items.

A stipulation of a deal like this is that it must be open to the community, and uploaded to Armaholic/PWS and source files included so others can take up work as well. This is all hypothetical, but members of the group I've been playing with are seriously considering implementing a system like this for individual assets we'd like to see. Possibly opening it up to the community might drive a higher interest.

All hypothetical. Healthy debate is good.

Glad you seem to "get" the work put into doing some of this stuff. However nothing in ARMA is a quick 1 2 go for mod making, everything requires testing, writing and re-writing configs, sqfs etc, This is not worth my time money wise, however on principle I may just crack these out and just release them publicly without all this shady crap.

To give you an idea, my OHally's Boats modification (relatively simple mod) took about 36 hours to pin down to a releasable state. That was a config file and a script or two. so at your going rate that is 1.8 to 1.2 $/hr, now thanks...

:I

I'm not giving an hourly value to this, nor would I consider it a career/living pay. To say that I'm implying modders deserve 1.80/hr isn't expressing my intent correctly. Rather than letting my idea sit to rot in the 4,000 page addon request topic, and hope and pray that someone decides to pick it up, I'm offering monetary compensation to speed up the process. If taking time to make the mod seems not worth it, or would be debilitating to your real life, by no means should the money involved intimidate you to participate, and i don't suggest you do so if you're not interested. I don't intend to make the mod private, nor do I intend to under-pay the modders. I havn't contacted someone personally because I don't know anybody personally.

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

I mean, it's gotten so prevalent in the flight sim community that the BMS team specifically banned people from charging for mods for BMS.

Gonna be honest, I severely doubt that a pay incentive to produce a mod sooner and faster than most is the start of a slippery slope to ad.fly and charged aircraft like X-Plane.

Heyho,

I just stumbled upon your thread an hour ago.

Do you wanted something like this:

P.S. Just to make this clear: If finished I will release this to the public for free.

Edited by NeoArmageddon

I don't like this. It cheapens the effort that modders put into their work.

I'd much rather a donation either to the modder or to a charity of their choosing.