fred41

using large page memory mapping, for increased performance

Hi

Reran a couple of times, the last after disbling the 512MB pagefile on the SSD & upping the HDD pagefile to 16000MB in case the tweak was tripping up somehow because of the small page file on the SSD. While Steam runs (once only) it hangs when I try to run A3. I've tried launching Steam as administrator (AFAIK it's set to that anyway) after right-clicking on the exec file, also tried the same with the arma3.exe. Just hangs. Bugger, it must be something specific to my system though I haven't a clue what it could be.

Thanks to you & TonyGrunt for pointing out my dumb errors with the load line. For more than 6 months RL stuff has kept me away from home much of the time, my Arma neurones must have gone comatose. Will try again later.

Try to isolate the source of the problem systematical.

1. Disable GMF tweak, by merging GMF_off.reg (from github repo)

2. Make a link to arma3.exe on your deskop, adapt the params, including -malloc=tbbmalloc as first parameter

3. Start arma (via desktop link) and verify in your .rpt file, that tbbmalloc is really used as allocator

4. if 3. yes, then there should be a mallocxxx.log file in a3 rootdir

5. post this malloc log file here (we use tbbmalloc just as analysing tool here)

Sorry, this question is not directly about this tweak, but at least related:

When I am starting Arma3 under my own account, which is in the local admin group, and explicitly running the exe as administrator, tbbmalloc is used correctly.

But obviously Arma3 is no longer able to access the specific button mappings for my Logitech mouse applied via Setpoint.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Logitech G5 mouse wit SetPoint 6.32.7, driver version 5.33.14

I guess I am not the only one with this configuration, so maybe someone already solved that problem? Thanks a lot for any hint.

Edit:

Ok, the solution seems to be to run setpoint.exe in privileged mode. (Doing this automatically on startup requires some additional fiddling.)

But the same problem seems to affect the TrackIR driver, too. I would assume other drivers are affected as well.

So for convenience sake and for the time being I will stop testing this tweak. I hope BIS will adapt the very promising results presented here for the standard A3, though.

Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Edited by oldy41

@oldy41, i think a better solution for you could be, to create a normal (not a member of admin group) account and running arma from this.

This solution is more secure and probably work better with your other software too.

Edited by Fred41

@oldy41, i think a better solution for you could be, to create a normal (not a member of admin group) account and running arma from this.

This solution is more secure and probably work better with your other software too.

Why is it, that the most simple and best solutions come to me last or never? ;-)

Thanks!

Ok finally. a friend helped me through this process and I'm very happy to announce that my FPS improved by 4-5 (helo benchmark Altis) :D

Thank you Fred41, really you should work for BIS or something :D

process virt. address available: 3940

system physical RAM total: 8168

system physical RAM available: 6630

system committed limit: 24504

system committed peak: 1707

system committed current: 1694

system cache current: 991

system handles: 25771

system processes: 72

system threads: 1161

system uptime minutes: 0

SeLockMemoryPrivilege: granted, huge pages enabled

Edited by Nikiforos

4-5 FPS Mooaarr in the ArmA III main menu -world=Altis. Before the trick that is at the first post, it was 68-69. Now it's 74-75. :)

Is this something I should worry about? Alloc LP failed fallback?

0.000s: 3.234ms 2048k at:0x00000000 Alloc LP failed -> fallback

0.000s: 0.005ms 2048k at:0x07bd0000 Alloc SP ( 2M)

0.000s: 0.003ms 128k at:0x04020000 Alloc SP ( 2M)

0.031s: 0.002ms 1728k at:0x08800000 Alloc SP ( 3M)

0.031s: 0.001ms 1024k at:0x08ab0000 Alloc SP ( 4M)

0.031s: 0.002ms 1024k at:0x08bb0000 Alloc SP ( 5M)

Hint: Use gpedit.msc to add your account to "block memory pages" rule in last windows.

Whenever i get this fallback issue ,performance are back to what I had before. When I do a computer restart and run the game, perfomance is great and no errors or fallbacks are reported.

So the hint you posted Anachoretes suppose to solve this problem? No more 0x00000000 Alloc LP failed -> fallback ?

Whenever i get this fallback issue ,performance are back to what I had before. When I do a computer restart and run the game, perfomance is great and no errors or fallbacks are reported.

So the hint you posted Anachoretes suppose to solve this problem? No more 0x00000000 Alloc LP failed -> fallback ?

I think it doesn't matter which MMC you use, secpol.msc or gpedit.msc.

I have that same log line. So that's why my performance didn't improve?

I'm not sure but it might be. Try to restart your computer , don't start any other programs besides Steam and Arma and run the bench.

For some reason Large Page has failed and system continued to work with small pages. Reason-searching time. It's random? Happens at the same time, in benchmark? AA3 works from admin?

Sounds great, but

I am getting this error when I try to run it

Sounds great, but

I am getting this error when I try to run it

Capture_zpsa7dd9492.jpg

I am running win7 64 bit

any ideas?

Yes, such fallbacks to SP (small pages), are indicating heavy fragmented physical RAM. AFAIK the only way to restore from such state is a restart (at least in current windows versions).

To delay or prevent fragmentation, some attention is required, to maintain a clear system.

Background processes like windows search service, background virus scanner e.t.c, can massive accelerate memory fragmentation and should be disabled for maximal availability of large pages and performance.

(See tbbmalloc thread for more details and tips: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?163640-Arma3-and-the-LARGEADDRESSAWARE-flag-%28memory-allocation-gt-2GB%29)

@matt_gold, in github repository use the 'RAW' button for binary download of GMF.exe tool.

So it is a question of time the performance gain is lost a little bit? I´ve observed only the first run imediate after starting the pc have 49fps in helo´s bench. Starting the bench after playing arma3 for a while I get 47fps. But its still better than 44fps (without the both tweaks) :)

However its one of the best tweaks in the history of arma-series......amen :D

@JumpingHubert, a large pages page is nothing else then an countinous block of 512 small pages.

The degree of fragmentation in your physical RAM (contamination of large pages with small pages), depends of the memory activity of all running processes on your system and of system uptime.

So if you have a clear system and a lot of RAM, fragmentation is not really a problem and you should not see much performance decrease over time.

So the best way to have a stable performance is to keep your system as clean as possible, or you have to restart more often.

The mallocxxxx.log file in your a3 root directory is a good help to analyse fragmentation (LP=large pages, SP=small pages). As long as there are no 'fallbacks' to SP, everything is well.

Is it a good idea to add 8 more GB of ram to my system? Currently I have 8 Gb. Will 16GB of ram make a difference?

Is it a good idea to add 8 more GB of ram to my system? Currently I have 8 Gb. Will 16GB of ram make a difference?

i wouldnt count on that. i have 16 gigs and my improvement is ~4fps too, which seems like the number most ppl seem to get.

Sent from mobile

... system cleaning has the best effect (considering it is free), but more RAM relaxes something too, means memory fragmentation is delayed with more RAM ...

Thank you Fred41 you have been very helpful. I enjoy Arma more now thanks to you :)

Definitely going to give this a try when I get the chance.

before with ARMA 3 altis bench: 55 fps @1800 view + object

after: 55 fps same settings

both runs twice

3750@4.3 ; 8GB 1600 ; Win 8.1 Prof. 64 ; r9 290 ; SSD

how to revert this patch ?

Registry tweak ia easy but i cant find this snap in.

Edited by tarabas666

Hmm. Used "Benchmark Altis" on the Steam Workshop to test (since we have NO OFFICIAL BENCHMARK BIS!!! :mad: :mad: ;))

No tweaks - 39 FPS

Using TBB Malloc - 40 FPS

Using TBB Malloc + this tweak - 40 FPS

Oh well. :shrug:

According to Benchmark Altis, 21 fps before and after, but this benchmark was too much for my rig.

I noticed certain smoothness gains, thank you.