Sign in to follow this  
Richard7666

'snap

The 'snap' of distant gunfire sounds as though it's next to me and has no direction. I believe this is meant to be a distant sound effect, but it sounds as though it's right next to me, and not even in the direction of the enemy firing it.

Using onboard Realtek HD audio

EDIT: can someone edit thread title to be more descriptive, I hit enter on keyboard and it posted the damn thing before I was finished : /

It's the sound of a bullet passing close to you. Why would it be a distant sound effect?

There are definitely some sounds with distance issues, however (reload possibly being the most notable). As for directionality of the sound, that's been an issue with sounds in general since release. There are several "sound issues" topics already in progress, check them out.

You are hearing a 'sonic crack'

google it :)

It would be nice if the reload sound could be turned down a bit and made as a broadcasting sound from the reloading player. This way, you wont hear a reload miles away, and it will be directional. As for snaps... I would pay more attention. When i hear a snap, my first reaction is find cover, second, find out where it came from, and where its going. Third, engage accordingly. Snaps are bullets trying to tell you a secret... in other words, you don't want to find out what they are saying, cus chances are if one lands in your ear, your pretty much dead.

But while we are at it this might be the place to whine a bit:

Disclaimer first: I have never been shot at with something heavier than a pea pistol or some snow balls, so I never heard a real supersonic crack.

But in game they simply sound like crap, sorry. My first thought when hearing one was the same as Richards: "Now what kind of sound bug is _that_?"

I don't want to start the realism discussion here, but to me the current sound effect is in no way frightening, more like immersion breaking.

I would not argue for removing them, but a little bit of love, care and tweaking might be a good idea.

But while we are at it this might be the place to whine a bit:

Disclaimer first: I have never been shot at with something heavier than a pea pistol or some snow balls, so I never heard a real supersonic crack.

But in game they simply sound like crap, sorry. My first thought when hearing one was the same as Richards: "Now what kind of sound bug is _that_?"

I don't want to start the realism discussion here, but to me the current sound effect is in no way frightening, more like immersion breaking.

I would not argue for removing them, but a little bit of love, care and tweaking might be a good idea.

there are a couple of good ones here

(disclaimer: a real firefight, contains profanity)

The Speed_Of_Sound-Mod currently adds the best sonic cracks, if you ask me. Take a look at that.

It's the sound of a bullet passing close to you. Why would it be a distant sound effect?

There are definitely some sounds with distance issues, however (reload possibly being the most notable). As for directionality of the sound, that's been an issue with sounds in general since release. There are several "sound issues" topics already in progress, check them out.

Add the fire mode button to that. I can hear people reloading or changing their firemode from over 200m away. I think last time we checked i clocked it at 250 something meters.

there are a couple of good ones here

(disclaimer: a real firefight, contains profanity)

Is that the loud cracking/snapping what we're hearing at 0:40?

If you don't mind a huge download, check out JSRS2.1 as well. Sounds and immersion are amazing!

Is that the loud cracking/snapping what we're hearing at 0:40?

yep like 0:38 for a few seconds