Rydygier

[SP] Pilgrimage

It seems that bcombat is indeed the problem when it comes to playing this mission. Without it, I've been happily playing 1.61 for many hours. I have only had one problem so far, but I'm not sure it is related or if I am just doing something wrong, but Mag Repack hasn't worked the whole time that I've played. I can't remember if I began this playthrough with it installed or if I added part way through. I am having a blast for sure.

Suggestions, if you feel like adding to this:

Is it possible to add community made content to the loot spawns, like RH and FHQ?

Hostages/prisoners to free from captivity and perhaps add to your squad.

A possibility, how ever rare, to rearm vehicle weapons.

Thanks Rydygier!

I do not know mag repack, how it works etc. so can't tell if is compatibile and if should work or not.

Thanks for suggestions.

I'll consider second. First - not tested, but stuff for loot is taken from the config, same for opfor/independent AIs. So technically, I would guess, any custom content of that kind should be automatically included in the pool to randomly choose from. As it is random, nothing sure, but there should be a chance to appear from time to time. Third - in fact there is very rare chance for such possibility (again - not guaranteed each play) - one or few of randomly chosen abandoned vehicles may be also ammo truck.

Edited by Rydygier

Some ideas for consideration in the future:

- several special, heavy guarded places as challenges for well equipped player, as such players tend to be bored due to their heavy fire power. Two things inside in mind so far:

- some captives with option to join them;

- a few enemy choppers to neutralize on ground that will quick react with SAD patrol, if player will be noticed in certain radius around.

Probably some airfields and currently not guarded military or industrial installations will be used, not much though, we are close to amount of group per side limit.

When? Not certain. For now I should catch up with some of my other projects.

Edited by Rydygier

I like those ideas. Being pursued/tracked gives a use for the AP mines. :icon_twisted:

I too like the idea of having a few heavily-guarded areas. Perhaps as a startup option. Since commandeering a mobile artillery piece, I did have some easy fun shelling a few areas before going in, but for the most part I am already having an easy (but fun) enough time in the Marshal that I found. I go hunting for camps in the NW at night so I can rearm it from time to time.

Every time I find a Church, I think, "I hope the body isn't here ... I don't want to be done yet."

One other suggestion on the 'hard core' mode. Would it be possible to let the player mark off the churches?

Oh, for the record the custom content works just fine, as you said it might. The Mag Repack problem was with the mod itself. It only works at the start of the game, not when loading a save game, but the author made another mod that will re-initialize Mag Repack and any other mod loaded; from the escape menu.

So I'm glad.

Yes, certainly, I could leave marking churches to the player. IMHO this is "tertiary" matter however. After all - what's the difference?

Some ideas for consideration in the future:

- several special, heavy guarded places as challenges for well equipped player, as such players tend to be bored due to their heavy fire power. Two things inside in mind so far:

- some captives with option to join them;

- a few enemy choppers to neutralize on ground that will quick react with SAD patrol, if player will be noticed in certain radius around.

Probably some airfields and currently not guarded military or industrial installations will be used, not much though, we are close to amount of group per side limit.

When? Not certain. For now I should catch up with some of my other projects.

Can you make the heavily guarded places contain an officer with far better intel than regular intel carriers?

Thats very good idea - another motivator to build up your firepower, so you can go there and get valuable intel. Logical too - higher rank would have more info. There may be also some intel "for free" about hostile activity - commanders may hold such data as well. I think, I'll do that. Thanks. :)

Pff the new update makes my saves invalid, I was at church 76 or something still hadn't found him. You really need officers with more intel or something to just speed up the whole thing because at one time i was just warping from one chapel to another with 30,000 ff just to check them off.

what's the difference?

Marked churches give an indication of where you are on the map. Unmarked churches make you figure it out.

Hmm, may be due to my mods, or because of the today's ArmA update: I have no mouse at every mission start. All sound (footsteps, everything) clock in after first hitchhiking.

Hmm, may be due to my mods, or because of the today's ArmA update: I have no mouse at every mission start. All sound (footsteps, everything) clock in after first hitchhiking.

A game update today? I'm definitely skipping it until I finish this round of Pilgrimage; I've already restarted it three times, have never finished it, and have checked about 130 locations so far. I want to keep playing the mission, but not quite enough to start it over again any time soon. :-)

- Doc

Not sure, what "clock in" means, but just tested on 1.14 - I have cursor at mission start, and nothing unusual happening during hitchhiking, so I don't know. Only new thing, I spotted during that few minutes of testing, was map icons for wind turbines. Anyway, I must test mission more on new version. During implementation of new stuff, I think.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Marked churches give an indication of where you are on the map. Unmarked churches make you figure it out.

OK then, but markers from intel gathered at enemy TL bodies will be added automatically anyway...

A game update today? I'm definitely skipping it until I finish this round of Pilgrimage; I've already restarted it three times, have never finished it, and have checked about 130 locations so far. I want to keep playing the mission, but not quite enough to start it over again any time soon. :-)

- Doc

Well, it's been nice. I'm sorry that I was never able to finish this mission, but with countless hours into it and Steam forcing a game update down my throat, I just lost that save game as well. I'm not going to try it again, but not because of the mission itself ... the mission is great. Every update to the game breaking the save games is expected ... the 'retail store' that I bought the game from defaulting to forcing updates on me is absolutely insane. Yes, I know I can shut off auto updates on games .... now. I did not know that they set that as the default though. Absolutely crazy that it does not default to simply notifying you of updates and letting you chose when to install them.

If they were an actual store I could walk into, I'd be there demanding my money back for the game right now.

Sorry to vent ... what I wrote was by far the nice version of what I want to write.

All the same, thanks for the great mission. It was great while it lasted!

-Doc

EDIT: I'll get over it and try again someday. :-)

Edited by Doc. Caliban

Hey again. About the no sound problem, all you need to do is restart once after beginning a new game, that solves it nice and good.

In another order of bussiness, I was down to 15 churches left when I finally found my brother, actually I did not exactly found him, but the church X marker was green not red like all the others. I was all happy and stuff when 3 tanks rolled into the village that church was in. I just destroyed three random technicals (african mod) a couple of minutes before so I was out of anti tank capabilities. I started hiding in the houses, waiting for them to leave but they never did. Two more tanks rolled in one of them being that mobile artillery piece. Is this scripted into the mission by the mod maker or it was just coincidence because damn that was cool!

EDIT! The UGV was there aswell, but it had a missing wheel and I think it was out of ammo, because it never fired at anyone. It mustve been in one hell of a fight before arriving in that village :)

Edited by stevendeamon

@Doc

I understand you. Nothing wrong with you annoyance, I would feel same way if forced by Workshop updates to start again and again (that's why I do not use Workshop version for my gameplay and frankly don't like Workshop). Well, in fact making projects like this mission means so many starting from the beginning for countless tests, so at the release you are already bored to death with it. :) So I know, how it is. That's grim secret of mod/mission making - even if you do someting for yourself, after that process it will enjoy other much more, than you. This mission can be still enjoyable despite that, if for you "jurney is the prize". If not, well... seems, mission will be upgraded in the future, so you can wait for final version if you wish. I'm glad anyway, so I could provide you some hours of fun.

---------- Post added at 09:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Is this scripted into the mission by the mod maker or it was just coincidence because damn that was cool!

Both, I think. One group probably was there due to routine road patrol (those technicals?), while subsequent was "rapid response force", means another near patrol called to investigate area, where player was spotted.

Edited by Rydygier

@Doc

I understand you. Nothing wrong with you annoyance, I would feel same way if forced by Workshop updates to start again and again (that's why I do not use Workshop version for my gameplay and frankly don't like Workshop). Well, in fact making projects like this mission means so many starting from the beginning for countless tests, so at the release you are already bored to death with it. :) So I know, how it is. That's grim secret of mod/mission making - even if you do someting for yourself, after that process it will enjoy other much more, than you. This mission can be still enjoyable despite that, if for you "jurney is the prize". If not, well... seems, mission will be upgraded in the future, so you can wait for final version if you wish. I'm glad anyway, so I could provide you some hours of fun.

For the most part, it's not that big of a deal, but I have my little outbursts when I'm mad at the time ... not my finest behavior.

I will play again for sure ... does 1.61 work ok with the new update, or should I wait for a bit?

- Doc

Tried only few minutes on 1.14. Was busy with another project and now I'm busy with "Win". You may try or wait for the next version.

Ok it's me again. I can't get enough of this mission. Started again, with loot chance and sell value set to 10%. Garrison level is 100%. I would like to know how could I edit the files to make more enemies appear? I'm not talking about thousands of them, but just a few more, in patrols or in camps. I know this mission its not supposed to be a combat experience but I fancy finding myself in "against all odds" situations where I must retreat/run away. I want this playthrough to be more... extreme, in the sense that its a very hostile and chaotic island, and I'm not supposed to be there in the first place. Sorry if this sounds demanding, it's not, I'm having a blast with this. Keep up the good work and updates please! :)

Problem is hardcoded group amount limtation, IIRC 144 per side. If you set all on 100%, you get >100 groups per opfor and independent side. You can't add much to that. Not enough, to feel real difference. In next version there will be added about 20 groups for special locations, and that's all (some buffor should be left, as number of spawned groups is statistical, not hardcoded). Technically, to add more groups, you should edit RYD_JR\JRInit.sqf, there are loops adding garrisons per each location of given kind, but you can't do much there, as it is limited to number of that locations, only you can add there more groups per location. More you can achieve by adding more checkpoints (on 100% 1/4 of proper crossroads have own checkpoint) or hidden camps - investigate lines 1865-1985. Note, this is not trivial and, again - group limit not allows for much.

Alternative - playing with mod, that will spawn from time to time some hostiles around the player (and remove them, if player went too far, to free slot for group). I don't heard about such mod yet, who knows, perhaps some day I'll do such thing.

Yes, thank you for your quick response. I've already checked JRInit.sqf a couple of days ago (looking for something else), and I know the groups per side is limited (did not know it's actually 144). When you said in your mod/mission description that there won't be too many hostiles around I thought they won't be anywhere near that hardcoded limit. It doesn't seem to be the case thought. Which is good. I am being pinned down by an AA APC (Cheetah IFV I think it's called), so my complain about the enemy numbers is irrelevant right now. Thank you again and have a good day!

Yep, isn't too many hostiles around the player, but not because of small group count, but because of island size. :)

I just started playing, barely a couple of hours in, and I'm having a lot of fun. In the official BIS campaign, my favourite part was driving around doing the solo "scouting" missions in episode 2, way more fun than the silly scripted BIS scenarios. This mission reminds me a lot of these scouting missions. I have some questions though.

I am being offered to buy info about enemy positions. I am in the extreme NW of the island, and the enemy position is in the opposite corner. Question: is the position fixed in time, or will they move in an hour or so, so I should reload the game in these occasions?

I read in the workshop thread that weather was not dynamic. I am a couple of hours in, still the early morning. The morning haze is nice and all, but only for a time. Enemies see through it just as they see through vegetation, and I could do without the extra aggravation :). I don't know what a camp is yet and how to find one, yet I would love to be able to just move time forward, without any extra healing or anything, just to get rid of a haze, wait till the rain stops, wait for night time or morning etc. Maybe a "wait 1 hour" option with a skiptime in the radio menu?

I've just dispatched a group of 11 stormtroopers. Weapons, tons of stuff lying around, I have commandeered a whole lorry, but I can't put more than a couple of weapons and 3 backpacks inside. This is really a shame in an RPG-like scenario where we are supposed to sell the stuff. As a compulsive pack-rat I am very upset but the stock Arma3 vehicle capacities. Any way to increase them to proper levels, like the ones in all the dayz mods for Arma2 for instance? I can't find vehicle capacity a mod of Arma3.