Sign in to follow this  
arotished

Will we ever get any optimiziing in future patches?

So, I was gonna sit down with the new Adapt campaign this weekend but....my FPS on anything related to Altis is just so terrible and its NOT fun to play thing game. Even my 4770 @ 4,5Ghz and 780Ti SLi cant handle default high settings.

Have the developer completely looked away from any optimizing fixes?

I have 30-40 FPS in the Adapt campaign on Ultra, my PC:

i5-3450 @3,66 all Cores, 16GB Corsair xms3 and EVGA GTX780 3GB.

Yes, they are working on optimization all the time, it's simply not that easy...

The problem is that game FPS are getting lower and worse for every patch. I can't see optimizing moving at the right direction. A lot of my teammates are very very upset and we are slowly losing our patience for the game.

Yes they've been working on optimization everyday for the past 12-13yrs..:rolleyes:

To be fair to BI they did get A2 to a reasonable level of optimization from around 1.59, after that it got better regularly. I don't really have much trouble running the games inc A3, but if a constant or average 60fps is some sort of benchmark (which is isn't in this series), then I probably miss out like most players.

However I would argue optimization is as much down to your personal pc, as it is down to BI and the game. Because lets be honest, it runs great for many players (me included), provided as said, you don't treat 60fps as a bench for this series, plus think about AI numbers. Above 30-35fps constant, and it runs very well with sensible AI, under that and problems start to appear.

Alot is down to the player, fast frantic game-play is not what arma was about, may have changed some with A3, but really its still a game of tactics and planning, rather than run and gun.;)

MP however, in public servers needs looking at desperately. But again, is half of that problem also down to servers, private servers can run really well, of course less players..

A big problem is players need for VD, which is fine on ground set to around 2000, well for me it is. Some players want massive VD, but that will mean something suffers elsewhere, because its just not possible for most, if you want it on the highest settings for graphics.

Also AI, want hundreds, then on the whole your going to get stupid AI you can simply pick off easily. There is soo much to consider AI wise with setup of your game for you to be able to even think about hundreds on a terrain, BI's simulation manager (SM) will go someway to help, in your own sp missions. A good cache type arrangement for group play, there are a few around, but again, what do they spawn, is it the modded version of your AI, or stock, many revert to stock which is not acceptable for most group players. But there are mods that have inbuilt systems to handle larger AI numbers, whereas the spawned AI are what you set out to have (modded).

For sp play simply settle for alot less AI, use SM and be realistic with VD and settings if you need to be. Do all that and you'll get an experience like no other in gaming, provided you mod your AI, the experience will be lessor or greater depending on the AI mod/s you run, but it will be far better in anycase, than stock vanilla AI.

Optimization, a word that carries so much; general settings, graphic settings, AI amount, pc, BI etc. Very hard to bring all together, takes some time to setup right, but it is possible, just have to be realistic in your view and have a really lean/clean pc.

Yes they've been working on optimization everyday for the past 12-13yrs..:rolleyes:

To be fair to BI they did get A2 to a reasonable level of optimization from around 1.59, after that it got better regularly. I don't really have much trouble running the games inc A3, but if a constant or average 60fps is some sort of benchmark (which is isn't in this series), then I probably miss out like most players.

However I would argue optimization is as much down to your personal pc, as it is down to BI and the game. Because lets be honest, it runs great for many players (me included), provided as said, you don't treat 60fps as a bench for this series, plus think about AI numbers. Above 30-35fps constant, and it runs very well with sensible AI, under that and problems start to appear.

Alot is down to the player, fast frantic game-play is not what arma was about, may have changed some with A3, but really its still a game of tactics and planning, rather than run and gun.;)

MP however, in public servers needs looking at desperately. But again, is half of that problem also down to servers, private servers can run really well, of course less players..

A big problem is players need for VD, which is fine on ground set to around 2000, well for me it is. Some players want massive VD, but that will mean something suffers elsewhere, because its just not possible for most, if you want it on the highest settings for graphics.

Also AI, want hundreds, then on the whole your going to get stupid AI you can simply pick off easily. There is soo much to consider AI wise with setup of your game for you to be able to even think about hundreds on a terrain, BI's simulation manager (SM) will go someway to help, in your own sp missions. A good cache type arrangement for group play, there are a few around, but again, what do they spawn, is it the modded version of your AI, or stock, many revert to stock which is not acceptable for most group players. But there are mods that have inbuilt systems to handle larger AI numbers, whereas the spawned AI are what you set out to have (modded).

For sp play simply settle for alot less AI, use SM and be realistic with VD and settings if you need to be. Do all that and you'll get an experience like no other in gaming, provided you mod your AI, the experience will be lessor or greater depending on the AI mod/s you run, but it will be far better in anycase, than stock vanilla AI.

Optimization, a word that carries so much; general settings, graphic settings, AI amount, pc, BI etc. Very hard to bring all together, takes some time to setup right, but it is possible, just have to be realistic in your view and have a really lean/clean pc.

funny joke you made there.

When it comes to optimization, only thoughts of game programmers who have worked on huge projects for years are worth consideration. Else isn't. Harsh but true.

Luckily Arma doesn't require constant 60 fps to be playable like run'n'gun games do, campaign has been very playable for me so far, at around ~40ish FPS with some dips to 30 fps, as well as some scenes running at 60 fps.

Specs: 2500K@4.7GHz, 570GTX@850Mhz, 8 gigs of 1600MHz ram, Arma installed on a cheap SSD.

Settings: 7bD0sRMs.jpg BToNvR7s.jpg 8fLr2gUs.jpg

funny joke you made there.

Look who's talking.

Optimize AI? Make it run on more than 1 core

Optimize the sim thread? Make it run on more than 1 core

Optimize whatever? Make it run on more than 1 core

See any pattern yet? Yeah...

Will we ever see? History should show you how that works.

Performance-wise I cant remember one single good patch. Even years later (and twice as good hardware) OFP ran like shit, same with Arma 1+2.

At the beginning I had 15-20 FPS in OFP. Years later....I upgraded to the best graphics card on the market, ATI x800xt, I was queueing for its release. What did I get? 20-30 FPS. Still barely playable.

http://www.cnet.com/graphics-cards/ati-radeon-x800-xt/4505-8902_7-30871661.html

Edited by mamasan8

yes MP needs looking at depserately and no the problem is not the end user as arma 2 shows. yes arma 2 didn't run at 60 FPS overall in MP but it was playable. arma 3 however is simply broken in MP. it's very easy to just blame the people who are actually providing the MP experience for free (yea not BI, you guessd it). BUT it's not fair and it's nonsense. scripting methods have not changed as has the scripting engine. even most popular missions are the same as they were in arma 2 (same authors even) and still the difference is huge.

what has changed and is the problem is the game...

strictly talking MP here. i'm not expecting butterey smooth FPS from BI games anymore in SP. :p

Well has anyone tried to play the smooth arma 2 mission on Chernarus ported to arma 3?

The official wasteland servers show very good FPS for more then 8 hours straigh in arma 3 (specialy on stratis, didnt paly much altis).

For me it depends on the mission (or maybe server?). I just got out of an insurgency mission where i had 14 FPS. It was unplayable. While on stratis wasteland I get over 40 FPS all the time for hours on end. So I don't know if this affect everyone or not, but the performance vary greatly for sure.

To answer your question, the developers are always working on optimizing the game. Some changes increase the nr. of fps and some decrease it, software development is tricky. There is a thread covering FPS ( MP focused, but the discussion always ends up encompassing SP as well) so please use it to discuss performance.

I will close this one to prevent the discussions from the linked thread spilling here.

Thank you for understanding.