Sign in to follow this  
dezkit

How likely for TOH content to be placed into arma3?

I just bought the humble bundle weekly sale, which included TOH, and decided to fire it up.

I noticed a bunch of cool vehicles and content and was wondering if BIS could somehow release these models too, just like arma2?

Would be cool flying around Altis in a airliner or a DC-3...

There's been much talk of using the flight model in Arma 3 but I think last I heard it was going to be used but as optional only.

If someone knows better...

originally planned but cancelled due to resources being diverted to dayz. they are hiring a new content assistant, but i think that's only for art assets like vehicles, weapons, etc, not flight models, and it might still be for a dayz.

Never really understood WHY the flight model from TOH isnt in arma3 in the first place.

Well, your looking at it from a perspective of players using Helos... Watch an AI fly one with that flight model, tell me how well it does. Probably just one of the reasons it wasn't put in first.

Yeah, good point..... I dont play single player nor PVE

I don't know. What I usually do is launch arma 3 and just go into editor. Whenever I go into multiplayer all I see is locked servers or altis life.

Hopefully the new update that was hinted would actually help this game.

Back on topic: I think that doing the same thing they did with ArmA 2 in TOH would make it awesome (releasing content to the public).

Don't even start BI planned, BI promised, thats just like pissing against the wind. Lets just combine all BI games to arma 3! I would not mind advanced fly model like ToH in arma, and advanced armor model like in iron front, and weapon customization like in dayz, but lets be realistic, we can't get all of this, at least now.

It was removed because it ate a crap-ton of resources and ate up 10-20 FPS, which they acknowledged would make the game unplayable for some. I believe this was on one of the livestreams, or a forum response around the time of the livestreams. I am quite happy about that sensible decision, to be honest. Whilst I wouldn't be upset* by the inclusion of a new flight model I'd rather them focus on more features that add to the game and introduce new and fun scenarios that we can play, as opposed to penalising anyone who doesn't want to both learn the intricacies of quasi-realistic flight mechanics with a replacement of a 100% functional feature we already have and lose performance along the way!

*Not upset, but perhaps a bit frustrated that suddenly everything would work differently to how I'm now used to!

It was removed because it ate a crap-ton of resources and ate up 10-20 FPS, which they acknowledged would make the game unplayable for some. I believe this was on one of the livestreams, or a forum response around the time of the livestreams. I am quite happy about that sensible decision, to be honest. Whilst I wouldn't be upset* by the inclusion of a new flight model I'd rather them focus on more features that add to the game and introduce new and fun scenarios that we can play, as opposed to penalising anyone who doesn't want to both learn the intricacies of quasi-realistic flight mechanics with a replacement of a 100% functional feature we already have and lose performance along the way!

*Not upset, but perhaps a bit frustrated that suddenly everything would work differently to how I'm now used to!

Wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the reason for both alot of missing features as well as other improvements such as AI. I still remember a patch for Arma2 with just a small AI adjustment that almost halved the FPS -so yeah, considering the performance is already dicey for many....

imo, citing performance reasons on features that are already extant in published games where you can experience first hand that there is no performance problem just a bit unbelievable.

The only TOH thing I'd hope for to see in Arma 3 is the east asia map. 100 by 100 kilometers terrain? Hell, yes. Only thing it needs is roads.

The only TOH thing I'd hope for to see in Arma 3 is the east asia map. 100 by 100 kilometers terrain? Hell, yes. Only thing it needs is roads.

+ enterable buildings + buildings being solid (Not all are) + water actually having a depth at the various height (you can walk across the lakes for example)

That's what I'm saying. It shouldn't be hard to just release all the content from TOH. Just a bit of license changes right? I don't really care about the FLIGHT MODEL as this whole thread turned to! I want to convert the cool maps, vehicles, airplanes, high textured helicopters!

I'd love to see the airliners moved into Arma 3 even in their current form. Using AiA with the ToH demo I was able to place some airliners at the Altis International terminal and it finally looked like an actual airport.

I would love for TOH to have the same license for porting as Arma 2 has gotten.

Thanks for that. The FPS drop would make this game very unplayable for the bulk of the community. I am sad that I won't get it, and I agree that the vehicles should be more arcadish compared to other titles like DCS, since arma is a soldier sim, not a vehicle sim. I DO wish, however, that we'd get a few more features (Like better targeting systems, jets having separate brake/fuel, cockpit views in the tanks, etc)

It's not a sim, it's realistic game at best. Besides, like any other game out there, a simple toggle button between higher or lower degree of simulation for the flight model, would have been perfect for those with low end pcs.

Edited by calin_banc

I don't buy the FPS argument. TKOH was playable. TKOH: Rearmed was playable.

The reasons are just BI had different prios.

Yep same as .kju here, reinstalled TOH last night and the performance was pretty good for me and I don't have a top end system, no where near it.

I wish it was as simple as people are saying about putting the TOH maps into A3, we would all be doing it...

;2603558']I don't buy the FPS argument. TKOH was playable. TKOH: Rearmed was playable.

The FM didn't cause performance drops, but on my old laptop the cockpits did with all the buttons and what not. Really noticeable going from LB to Merlin or Hind. (that's with pip disabled to be perfectly sure)

;2603558']I don't buy the FPS argument. TKOH was playable. TKOH: Rearmed was playable.

I don´t buy it either. It seems that BIS, or lets say the Arma 3 tam is incredibly short on good coders. Might this be because of some other projects? I guess so.

I don´t buy it either. It seems that BIS, or lets say the Arma 3 tam is incredibly short on good coders. Might this be because of some other projects? I guess so.

I think this too, didn't Suma (the lord of RV engine programming) go to the dayZ team to make the changes for them?

Dan;2603712']I think this too' date=' didn't Suma (the lord of RV engine programming) go to the dayZ team to make the changes for them?[/quote']

Didn´t Marek go too? Seems like the guys that know this engine inside out aren´t working on Arma 3 that much.

Didn´t Marek go too? Seems like the guys that know this engine inside out aren´t working on Arma 3 that much.

Buctcha went as well after he got back. And RIE (or was it Dna?) replaced him after they were done being project lead for TOH.

They probably also dropped TOH since most of the time in MP it was just put onto the easiest difficulty, very rarely would I see anyone playing on expert unless I set the server to it myself. On easiest difficulty you might as well have the A2 FM which is probably another reason they ditched it. I swear they even lowered the difficulty of the expert FM just to get more people to try it.