Sign in to follow this  
jcae2798

It's sad that most people don't rate or comment on missions

It's really sad people don't take 1 sec to rate or leave a comment on all these missions that people are spending so much time putting out (steam for example). Props to all you folks putting missions out. Big thanks!

Might want to change the title of the thread buddy.

Also, a lot of people who do missions don't make them for the thanks, they do them because they enjoy making them.

Only people who give shite comments that aren't constructive can do one!

It's really sad people don't take 1 sec to rate or leave a comment on all these missions that people are spending so much time putting out (steam for example). Props to all you folks putting missions out. Big thanks!

Yeah, I agee with you.

And it's often the same people who leave a comment.

For example, I've made some campaigns, SP missions or missions pack for ArmA 2, and it was always the same people to leave a feedback or say thanks (plus one or two others), whereas I could see it had been downloaded more than 2 or 3 (or more) hundred times.

I always leave a comment, feedback or just a word to thank the guy who has spend so much time making it.

You make something, but you're not rewarded for what you've done.

That's why I quit editing (plus it takes soooo much time - and I have IRL business, so...)

Thread title edited. Please make sure to use more descriptive thread titles in future. ;)

Might want to change the title of the thread buddy.

Also, a lot of people who do missions don't make them for the thanks, they do them because they enjoy making them.

Only people who give shite comments that aren't constructive can do one!

Commenting doesn't automatically mean thanks. Personally, I would appreciate feedback, like, was the mission too hard, did everything work, etc

Commenting doesn't automatically mean thanks. Personally, I would appreciate feedback, like, was the mission too hard, did everything work, etc

Most of your missions are brutal, which is what I like about them. You have my thanks, and my comment!

i do always, if i did enjoy the mission.

See, here is the problem I think.

You can comment even if you didn't like it, say why, what can be improved etc...

It sure helps the mission maker to improve his mission or for any further mission he'll make.

Comments are useful, not only to say "thanks", but also to say what was enjoyable, what was not, what can be improved or changed etc...

Actually the problem seems to be only here.

I made 2 missions, almost no comments here, but on the Workshop a lot of people commented.

I'm not referring to thanks and stuff, but great comment with feedbacks, opinion and features request, I guess the workshop is more fast to use.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Same on armaholic: lots of DL, few feedback.

Same on armaholic: lots of DL, few feedback.

Indeed, I rarely if ever get feedback or a thanks for any of my missions. (Only get thanks when I help out with scripting)

yeah, and it doesn't make people willing to continue making missions.

@Dan thats why I mod for myself, I think its the same weather it be a mission or terrain or addon I am always giving a thank you or feedback on Armaholic if I use the said DL manners cost nothing.

I agree that on workshop its easier to see them and comment after playing them (click the steam icon after its complete and leave my feedback. What everyone is saying is exactly why i wanted to start this thread. Sorry for the original title, but i thought it would get more eyes which right off the bat i'm sure it did as people came running in to see what negative stuff i may have wrote. ;)

@Dan thats why I mod for myself, I think its the same weather it be a mission or terrain or addon I am always giving a thank you or feedback on Armaholic if I use the said DL manners cost nothing.

Its why I mostly make the missions for personal consumption (or for my friends or clanmates) nowadays, and release them as an afterthought.

1jhn4o5sotmppxq4g.jpg

Maybe they're just too busy,

or not confident when have to explaining things in english,

or not a registered user (except Steam case).

----------------

Wiki's profile who brought me here, he (and the most of you) have created so many mission, :notworthy: I salute you all...

Edited by Morieza

I agree with OP.

It's a shame that not more people take a few seconds extra to add a comment. That means a lot for the people who create missions and mods.

Actually the problem seems to be only here.

I made 2 missions, almost no comments here, but on the Workshop a lot of people commented.

I'm not referring to thanks and stuff, but great comment with feedbacks, opinion and features request, I guess the workshop is more fast to use.

It's pretty clear why Workshop entries get more feedback though, right?

As soon as I'm done playing a mission from the workshop, there's a link right there to go and comment. Right there in the game. And I'm already logged into Steam; I can just click and Bam! Typing feedback! The effort and mindfulness barrier or requirement is so low for people that they'll happily spend some time commenting.

People who download missions from elsewhere - the forums or Armaholic - may not play the mission until hours or days later. They likely went on a downloading binge and got several in one go. By the time they actually play your mission, a good number won't even remember what it is or where it came from. Once they're done - even if they're keen to give feedback - they need to quit or Alt-Tab out of Arma, fire up a browser, track your mission down in here or on Armaholic, and finally log into that other service and start typing. Or if they put it off until later (after all - they're in the middle of playing Arma), then I don't like your chances of them remembering to do it when they stop. Even with the best of intentions, people are very unlikely to go out of their way to do something like give feedback with so many small things making it just too hard.

Sure, it's not a lot of effort when compared to what went into making the mission - but you can either deal with the reality of what motivates people, or you can feel self-righteous and hard done by and sulk that they aren't behaving the way you want them to. If you want comments and feedback, the best way you'll get that is to make it easier for people to do it, and make sure they don't have to think too hard about it. An endMission trigger that popped up a usable hyperlink to the thread or Armaholic page where it was hosted would be ideal if it were possible.

The licensing issues with the Workshop are (rightly) concerning, and I'm sure there are other reasons not to publish there - but the ease with which people can connect with you after trying your content is pretty attractive.

It's pretty clear why Workshop entries get more feedback though, right?

As soon as I'm done playing a mission from the workshop, there's a link right there to go and comment. Right there in the game. And I'm already logged into Steam; I can just click and Bam! Typing feedback! The effort and mindfulness barrier or requirement is so low for people that they'll happily spend some time commenting.

People who download missions from elsewhere - the forums or Armaholic - may not play the mission until hours or days later. They likely went on a downloading binge and got several in one go. By the time they actually play your mission, a good number won't even remember what it is or where it came from. Once they're done - even if they're keen to give feedback - they need to quit or Alt-Tab out of Arma, fire up a browser, track your mission down in here or on Armaholic, and finally log into that other service and start typing. Or if they put it off until later (after all - they're in the middle of playing Arma), then I don't like your chances of them remembering to do it when they stop. Even with the best of intentions, people are very unlikely to go out of their way to do something like give feedback with so many small things making it just too hard.

Sure, it's not a lot of effort when compared to what went into making the mission - but you can either deal with the reality of what motivates people, or you can feel self-righteous and hard done by and sulk that they aren't behaving the way you want them to. If you want comments and feedback, the best way you'll get that is to make it easier for people to do it, and make sure they don't have to think too hard about it. An endMission trigger that popped up a usable hyperlink to the thread or Armaholic page where it was hosted would be ideal if it were possible.

The licensing issues with the Workshop are (rightly) concerning, and I'm sure there are other reasons not to publish there - but the ease with which people can connect with you after trying your content is pretty attractive.

Yeah, I agree with you, it actually would be cool to know how much, and in what terms, Armaholic suffered the introduction of the Workshop.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Its why I mostly make the missions for personal consumption (or for my friends or clanmates) nowadays, and release them as an afterthought.

That kind of thinking is the best way to approach it, it's the same for YouTube videos or streaming on Twitch. If you're too focused on how many ratings you get or how many people play your mission then you're going to get way too paranoid and lose your will.

It doesn't make people willing to continue making missions.

Just focus on doing it for fun, if you are enjoying it then people who try your mission will probably do too.

Rating is quite important also for other potential players. There is so many missions, that number alone can paradoxically discourage attempts to find something realy worthy of time (as whole this time is actually taken by searching and trying). Don't get me wrong, anyone, who spends so much time, is needed for creating a mission has my respect and applause. Still, would be nice to have clearly and reliably pointed "best of" from the sea of mediocrity. DL count is not always reliable. Some time ago I found at least few great missions, real jewels, on Armaholic, that probably never received appreciation/fame proportional to the quality of made work judging by the number of downloads. It is bad for the community - authors of such mods seeing tiny interest may conclude it is because community does not want such missions, so better to do something else instead.

When I'm doing something like mod etc. I'm doing it becasue I want, but I'm releasing it for the people. I have no time to simultanously develop each of released by me big and small projects in regular pace, so I'm prioritizing my time allocated to each by its popularity and amount of feedback. Lack of feedback/opinions is for me clear signal, that this project has low priority and is not worthy of my further attention. Similar mechanisms can be expected amongst mission makers.

I had a mission on the workshop (before I took them all down) with almost 8k subscribers and it got like 55 or 60 thumbs. Not that I give much about the thumbs, but search algorithms and page display priority are usually linked to that. So no thumbs and nobody will see it cos it's on the bottom of the virtual pile somewhere. On the workshop that is, on armaholic it is listed alphabetically. I rather have written feedback. But even that was not happening much. I don't like the whole internet thumb thing anywhere tbh, not on youtube, facebook, etc. If you liked or didn't liked something, just say it.