Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

What Made You Want To Script?

Just interested guys about what made you want to learn to script and what you hope to achieve from scripting, i.e., is it just a past time, or is it more than that? Do you create to upload for example? Do you find scripting therapeutic and/or rewarding etc..

We scripters are evidently a different breed as you have Armaholics who just want to game playing custom made missions who don't like spending hours in the editor, and then there's Armaholics such as ourselves who are quite the opposite and spend more time in the editor than playing the game. I would describe myself as incredibly creative with a vivid imagination.

How about you?

What made me want to script is that fact that you make something and then are able to see it used in game, It is the same as what made me want to start to code, I started coding because I liked the fact that I could make something and be able to physically see it was a sign of accomplishment to me!

When I started,all I wanted was to learn how to adjust other people's scripts for my own missions.

However after learning the basics I imagined more possibilities. And so I followed my imagination down the rabbit hole. (Things rapidly got more complex).

Now I gain satisfaction by getting scripts to function in the simplest yet most efficient way. Helping other scripters is also rewarding. Really scripting is my hobby more than actually playing the game.

Edited by BangaBob

Started because of desired game features, Arma lacked. And now? No real desire to play, if I can script same time - making new, intriguing things happening is so rewarding. The more, if result is useful and appreciated by someone. Even pure and simple (self)realization: "hey, I'm good in that!" can raise the mood.

Not sure about future. Probably one day get bored with this, but for now I had more plans, than time for them. And some challenges still ahead, I do not know yet, how to achieve. That's exciting, when something earlier classified as "to hard/out of reach/impossible" one day become "very ambitious, but worthy of try" and some time later - "done. Neext!". I think, boredom will come, when adventure and jurney of discovery become pure routine. Small risk for now, still many places to explore and doesn't matter, how fancy script is, always can be lifted one complexicity level higher. Not mentioning about new, great ideas awaiting somewhere.

I started because of wanted / needed game features. Now I've no will to play the game as I'd rather be writing scripts. I never in a million years thought I'd be "that guy"... I consider myself a very simple person. I was one of the persons who liked to "plug n' play" and had no desire to edit or alter the (or any) game. Back in 2001, senior year of highschool, I was infact in a basic pascal class. I literally learned nothing aside from hearing the teacher rant about something called input & output. I had no desire to learn because I was too busy trying to be as cool as possible. Now, I'm in a cabin in north pole (11 miles outside of fairbanks) alaska, in the woods with the internet, OFP / Arma and nothing but time. I found I really love to learn... but only on my terms. I get very excited when I learn something new. Even more so when I get my head around something that was previously alluding me.

I love to script both for personal use and for release.

Edited by Iceman77

I can't say why or how I started scripting (shunned upon around here), but I script (and program) because it's what I enjoy doing. Finishing a project or doing something that is hard or hasn't been done before gives me a good sense of accomplishment; seeing my work being used and having a meaning in someone else's life is the icing on the cake!

Scripting in ArmA (and being around computers and technology in general while growing up) actually led to me becoming a Computer Science major when I hit college (and I happen to be doing VERY well).

Edited by zooloo75

My first reason to start scripting was that I had made a complex mission in the editor and it had a horrible performance. Learning how to spawn units was the first step, then I played SaOk's "The Battle Of Zargabad" and was mesmerized by the things I saw. I dePBO'd the mission and was like "wtf?!?"... Realizing what could be achieved by even simple scripting fueled my interest and it's been an addiction ever since, especially if you are biting your teeth out on something and finally get it to work...

I think I started with using simple artillery scripts made by others. But I'm fascinated by creating atmosphere, so most of the stuff I wrote doesn't really fulfil a purpose but adds some details to my missions. Like cutscenes, animation handling, conversations with or without kbTell, or multiple choice / player influencing the story etc. But now, I tend to focus more and more on functionality and things the player will never see; so all the stuff that happens behind the scenes.

I am new to Arma 3, having bought into the Alpha to play missions. I saw some tutorials on Youtube and started experimenting in the editor. Before I knew what was happening I was spending most of my time in the editor trying out different things to see if I could do things. If I couldn't, usually someone else can. I am now venturing into areas of scripting where I didn't think I would.

I think it takes me back to my childhood where I had few toys but a lot of imagination. In the editor there are a lot of toys available and scripting is a way to make those do what you want and interact in the way that you want for the story unfold in the way that you want. I try to keep my missions simple, but that can mean a lot of work behind the scenes and we do like to show off a bit don't we. It might be lost on some players, but others will realise what is involved. I appreciate the work put in by others producing mods and scripts as it makes my life a lot easier. I hope one day to reach that level of sophistication in my own scripting.