Sign in to follow this  
bvrettski

Not so fast...

I'm not sure this contest is going to have the desired effect.

If the intention here is to gas light a lot of community development for new / extra content, fill in all the parts BI doesn't have time or interest in doing themselves, then who is to say that people aren't going to work on things and just not release them publicly. I'm sure some people will have no problem opening up their creations whether they enter the contest or not but I wouldn't be surprised to see a large number of communities, scripters, mappers and modders etc sitting on their creation because they don't want their ideas ripped off by someone else.

Instead of a flood of cool stuff to play you may end up with a vacuum of content until this contest is over.

You have a really valid point. But we aren't fully sure how the contest is going to work exactly. Will players get to download any submissions at any time? We won't know for sure until the contest has started.

i have also been thinking about this.

if i was to enter the contest. i would not share any code & ideas.

why would anyone who want to win share their code & ideas with their competitors? no one who want to win and are a sane person i think!

so i think this vacuum as you call it will indeed happen.

i also find this total modification a bit fishy, no 2nd or 3rd place for the contest that requires the most work.

this looks a bit strange to me. maybe bis already desided who will win, anyway i'll keep my conspiracy theorys for my self tongue.png

anyway we'll just have to wait and see how it comes along.

Edited by nuxil

i also find this total modification a bit fishy, no 2nd or 3rd place for the contest that requires the most work.

I get the impression that whatever wins this category will either become a DLC pack or be the framework to a new game. Either way 200,000 euros is 200,000 euros.

I get the impression that whatever wins this category will either become a DLC pack or be the framework to a new game. Either way 200,000 euros is 200,000 euros.

My guess is they wanna go a different direction from ArmA and are looking to the community to jumpstart that.

My guess is they wanna go a different direction from ArmA and are looking to the community to jumpstart that.

I don't think they want to go in a different direction from ArmA with this competition. They've already done different things than ArmA the past few years without help from the community. Take On Helicopters, Take On Mars, Carrier Command, and now DayZ.

I think that they're maybe tired of seeing the community keep reusing old addons from the previous games. I don't know if you've played OFP, but there were so many unique addons available, but it's no longer like that. Everyone is so focused on "realism", all they do is recreate real-world items and then just reuse them for every new ArmA generation. This is primarily why I don't bother with mods anymore, I've seen them all and it's getting old. I'm glad BI decided to take a different route with ArmA 3 creating new vehicles.

I don't think they want to go in a different direction from ArmA with this competition. They've already done different things than ArmA the past few years without help from the community. Take On Helicopters, Take On Mars, Carrier Command, and now DayZ.

I think that they're maybe tired of seeing the community keep reusing old addons from the previous games. I don't know if you've played OFP, but there were so many unique addons available, but it's no longer like that. Everyone is so focused on "realism", all they do is recreate real-world items and then just reuse them for every new ArmA generation. This is primarily why I don't bother with mods anymore, I've seen them all and it's getting old. I'm glad BI decided to take a different route with ArmA 3 creating new vehicles.

Yeah but other than DayZ, what has been a mainstream success that would be similar to ArmA or surpass it? I just think they want a fresh idea, something along the lines of DayZ that they can test the waters with and gauge it's popularity and successfulness and pick it up if it pans out.

Yeah but other than DayZ, what has been a mainstream success that would be similar to ArmA or surpass it? I just think they want a fresh idea, something along the lines of DayZ that they can test the waters with and gauge it's popularity and successfulness and pick it up if it pans out.

The team working on DayZ has been at it almost a year and half (standalone) and they barely have that off the ground. What would make BI think they should start something new? They already have 50% of a game in Arma 3 that they should finish first.

Anyone who develops a mod, a mission or gametype for this contest better read the fine print on the entry form before you sign away your rights to BI. They might just opt to take your ideas and turn into something for their own profit...at your expense.

Maybe Arma player like realism? They can make whatever assets they want but they should be realistic. The whole hybrid vehicle and fictional vehicle thing then turns into stupid arguments about balance and other stuff. When a vehicle or weapon is realistic, no one argues or stupid things like balance.

@ OP: You act like BI hasn't already been lifting gameplay concept ideas from the community for years now, much less hiring community members for such an in-house implementation thereof.

Your speculation that contestants would withhold their content from the general community until they submit or win is correct (at least for me).

My friend and I are developing a Hostage Rescue mission and I only let those I trust test the mission to prevent theft of our code and ideas. I've seen my code used without my permission plenty of times to know that the world is an evil place :P

they don't want their ideas ripped off by someone else.

Projects using without permission content of someone else will be disqualified, I believe. Seems obvious. Idea, from the other hand, is only a beginning. We saw already, and probably will see much more people, that come just with some idea and nothing more, counting on win. Vainly. Early releasing IMHO would be wise move for competitors, allowing to benefit from users feedback. Also existing submission/any form of public release is kind of additional ensurance, that no one will "borrow" their idea/work to pretend, that it was his own, while all can easily ascertain, it is not true. Of course participants my think otherwise, it is their decision, how they will proceed.

They might just opt to take your ideas and turn into something for their own profit...at your expense.

And, assuming such possibility, would you do that being in their place? What consequences of any such unfair actions in relative to community would you expect? Would you consider these consequences as beneficial for yours business, or on the contrary? Such low opinion about Arma devs morality without good reason is IMHO sad and offensive by itself, but even if you really think so low about people from BI, consider also pragmatic side of this situation from their point of view.

BTW there is explained, how BI intends to proceed with interesting enough content/modder.

why would anyone who want to win share their code & ideas with their competitors? no one who want to win and are a sane person i think!

Why not? Well, maybe those blinded by money. As for rest - the more help, the better content, the bigger benefit for all. Also, if fair play involved, helpers may/should get proportional share of potential prize, so IMHO there may be even more "helpful hands" available around each project. So such fair play towards potential helpers may be also wise as beneficial for competitors. Why not submitt own project and in the same time participate/help with other submissions even only for money, to rise chance of gaining some $?

All of course up to competitors. Anyone may be wise or act other-wise.

Edited by Rydygier

Maybe Arma player like realism? They can make whatever assets they want but they should be realistic. The whole hybrid vehicle and fictional vehicle thing then turns into stupid arguments about balance and other stuff. When a vehicle or weapon is realistic, no one argues or stupid things like balance.

Maybe you like realism but I'm pretty sure the millions of DayZ players weren't big on it otherwise they never would have gotten past the whole Zombie thing to begin with.

Second, I'm pretty sure the whole realism concept is out the window with Arma 3. Most of the weapons don't exist, nor the vehicles and if your telling me this represents whats going on be on the battlefield in 2035 (when Arma 3 is supposed to be set) then I gotta ask what your smoking. Realism might exist some of the in game physics but its MIA in a lot of the other technologies represented in A3.

The high horse of realism is over hyped here. It might be what you want but its pretty loosely sprinkled into A3 and thats because its a game that was born from a military simulator.

@ OP: Don't bother responding to ProGamer, that's just arguing down to his level.

I am generally interested though in why you think that it'd be "a vacuum of content" as a possibility, especially relative to the content releases prior to the announcement. It's one thing to be ripping off code and assets, but ideas?

Regarding realism.

After work I might enjoy an hour or 2 with the game. If the game were realistic, I might spend that hour with my character's face in the dirt waiting for the good guys to win the firefight.

So, no to realism. However it needs to feel authentic. It needs to feel that it could have gone down that way. My character needs to withdraw and join the firefight and continue.

Zombies and Klingon Panzers can never be authentic so they don't interest me.

Maybe you like realism but I'm pretty sure the millions of DayZ players weren't big on it otherwise they never would have gotten past the whole Zombie thing to begin with.

Second, I'm pretty sure the whole realism concept is out the window with Arma 3. Most of the weapons don't exist, nor the vehicles and if your telling me this represents whats going on be on the battlefield in 2035 (when Arma 3 is supposed to be set) then I gotta ask what your smoking. Realism might exist some of the in game physics but its MIA in a lot of the other technologies represented in A3.

The high horse of realism is over hyped here. It might be what you want but its pretty loosely sprinkled into A3 and thats because its a game that was born from a military simulator.

Dayz went crazy hardcore realistic. Things like advanced armor simulation and an advanced medical system.

---------- Post added at 04:36 ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 ----------

@ OP: Don't bother responding to ProGamer, that's just arguing down to his level.

Seriously? Down to what level? Kinda rude to say that...

---------- Post added at 04:41 ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 ----------

Regarding realism.

After work I might enjoy an hour or 2 with the game. If the game were realistic, I might spend that hour with my character's face in the dirt waiting for the good guys to win the firefight.

So, no to realism. However it needs to feel authentic. It needs to feel that it could have gone down that way. My character needs to withdraw and join the firefight and continue.

Zombies and Klingon Panzers can never be authentic so they don't interest me.

I mean Arma 2 level of realistic, not content that's "balanced" and just feels like slugging it out. But I guess BI got bored realism and went "authentic" like medal of honor. They seem like they got bored of milsim and decided to go less realistic to make more money.

Edited by ProGamer

Dayz went crazy hardcore realistic.

When one type of wheel fits every mechanical object in the game that ain't realism brother. When I have to eat and drink every 20 minutes that ain't realism. When the world is overrun by zombie hoards that aint realism. I dont have time enough to debug your realism issues but you've been watching too many episodes of Walking Dead my friend.

The team working on DayZ has been at it almost a year and half (standalone) and they barely have that off the ground. What would make BI think they should start something new? They already have 50% of a game in Arma 3 that they should finish first.

Anyone who develops a mod, a mission or gametype for this contest better read the fine print on the entry form before you sign away your rights to BI. They might just opt to take your ideas and turn into something for their own profit...at your expense.

BI wouldn't just take the ideas, they would need you as a developer to work on them. And yes the contest appears to be to find the next Dayz along with promoting a bunch of extra content.

yes i also think bis want us to create something new like dayz was when it came out as a mod.

and we all know what happend when dayz was released as a mod. dayz-this , dayz-that dayz-whatever. so many versions. they all took Rockets orginal mod and (ab)used it.

so for anyone who want to enter the contest and create something even close to what dayz did. i doubt that team would release anything to the community.

to much work involved to get your code & ideas used by others.

so this would imo lead to a vacuum until late next year. near submission closure.

people are greedy & competitive by nature. any seriouse mod team who wants to win will most likely not share anything.

so we are left with a few modders who does not want to enter the contest. while the seriouse ones will work in silent on their mod. just showing off wip's and such.

Edited by nuxil

To be fair, I'd probably be hungry and thirsty if I've been running around forests in Eastern Europe all day.

Yes, so where is the issue?

do you always just read the last post, go back to post nr1 and read.

if you still dont get it, i'll try to explain more in details just for you!

do you always just read the last post, go back to post nr1 and read.

if you still dont get it, i'll try to explain more in details just for you!

Yes, i read the entire thing, but you were lucky enough that i've chosen you to address. Celebrate!

There might be a so called "vacuum of content" from some part. Some will just ignore it and release their stuff anyways, without taking part in MANW contest. Some will take part and release some of the content prior to dead line.

So i ask again: Yes, so what?

Or you may see other modders like the ACE team for whom MANW won't incentivize or disincentivize their development because they weren't going to enter the contest.

Surely placing your work in a public place is a good way to register your ownership of it?

Sign in to follow this