Sign in to follow this  
wingnutt270

AI ignoring commands when in combat...

+1000 - A3 has gone from me being surprisingly happy with (first several hours of gameplay) to being completely un-happy with (haven't played in a week) because of the terrible AI.

I've gone a step further and un-installed the game. It's borderline infuriating how much potential this game has, only to be squandered by poor design choices with concerns to the AI. I don't really play multiplayer, and I haven't got enough time in my life to join a clan, so I'm left with single player, which I love, but I just can't get around the fact that the AI is simply broken. It does cool things every now and again, but it all just seems so haphazard and random, nothings really been done to really improve it. It's just clunky and unpredictable.

I don't want to continue to buy into the series (in alpha this time) and wait for a year for mods to come out to throw a couple of band-aids at the problem. "Learn to mod", "Fix it yourself!" I hear some of you cry. How about no? How about I pay for a game rather than a crash course in programming, I don't want to, and haven't got the time to learn a new language just to just to get to a stage where I'm ready to test and debug, re-write code, test and debug, re-write, test and debug, rewrite code etc etc before I'm happy with how it plays.

BIS,Take some risks, throw shit out, streamline the interface, I assure you it'll pay off in the end, don't give us outer space in ArmA 4 (complete with one functioning spacecraft, and 20 minutes with of "oh, that's pretty cool"). Give us a game worth playing, AI that you can sit down to and say "Yeah.. that works really well", and features that we care about.

Just had yet a wonderfully disastrous clusterfuck thanks to this unfixed bug.

Im 100 M out in front of my retards, I had them stay put so I could see whats up An enemy truck crests the hill in front of me, full of troops I open fire (machinegunner) and command my men to ATTACK the truck... they are only a short distance back just over a small rise.

WELL HERE THEY FUCKING COME!!! AT HALF THE SPEED OF SMELL!

Im waiting waiting waiting.. check the map... sure enough, they are crawling, walking basckwards "IM COVERING" COVERING WHAT!? THERE ISN'T A GODDAMN THING OVER THERE!?

I tell them RELAX, STAND UP, CEASE FIRE!!

nothing, just the typical 12 year running circle jerk of inept behavior... they are covering perhaps 5 meters every 20 seconds or so..

the entire THREAT is 100 M in front of me, 200M in front of them NOTHING NOT A GOD DAMN THING is back where they are... yet here they are looking backward, crawling, "COVERING" each other from NOTHING.

No command would override this dumb shit retarded behavior, not that I have the fucking time to sit here an monkey fuck the command menue.. Im the one ACTUALLY IN COMBAT..

This is bullshit, its been bullshit for over a decade and it needs to be addressed, Im sick of this shit. $60 in the fucking toilet... again.

Edited by Wingnutt270

It would be nice if the DEVs came out with a statement of intents upon their fixing priorities even though I know we're not owed an explanation for this debacle and that could lead to high expectations from the masses.

I have expressed my opinion on the opportunity of removing the combat AI and devoting all manpower to multiplayer, perhaps a community poll would help, provided the community is informed that at the 3rd episode this is the AI we have and there's no improvement in sight (IMO there will never be).

I would do such a poll but would rather have BIS itself launch it. It's important to be in touch with the community and take their opinions.

Sorry for the prophanity :)

I have expressed my opinion on the opportunity of removing the combat AI and devoting all manpower to multiplayer,

You do realize that Multiplayer is not only PvP/TvT but also Coop which requires AI? Do you?

:Edith:

And even more, the majority is playing coop. So you seriously propose to drop the majority for a minority?

I have expressed my opinion on the opportunity of removing the combat AI ...

That will never happen. The game would die if the AI were taken out. Along with the community, AI have been the staple of the majority of missions made. It's not like they're going to up and take Ai out of their AI centric game.

Myke;2556866']You do realize that Multiplayer is not only PvP/TvT but also Coop which requires AI? Do you?

:Edith:

And even more' date=' the majority is playing coop. So you seriously propose to drop the majority for a minority?[/quote']

I'm just out of the same mission again.

I am leading a team of 10 and let an AI drive the Hunter. He ran over 3 of my teammates.

Yesterday it jammed the Hunter on the side of a building. I had to run back 600m to unstuck it.

2 days ago it killed half my team with a PCML aimed at an enemy vehicle.

3 days ago it took me 1 hour to set up a perimeter around a building.

During these 4 examples, I got killed 500 times, playing Elite (1 game save). I am testing more than playing, cursing more than enjoying.

This is the AI the majority like playing in Co-Op or SP?

I think you are mistaken: The majority is in other games.

Who cares : those who like this game AND its AI despite its flaws, play ArmA. And playing Elite is being masochist IMHO.

copy my stance command, seems never work for my team. As i understand, with this command, bots should crouch when i do crouch, and go prone, when i do go prone? But they are neve doing that for some reason.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

I'm just out of the same mission again.

I am leading a team of 10 and let an AI drive the Hunter. He ran over 3 of my teammates.

Yesterday it jammed the Hunter on the side of a building. I had to run back 600m to unstuck it.

2 days ago it killed half my team with a PCML aimed at an enemy vehicle.

3 days ago it took me 1 hour to set up a perimeter around a building.

During these 4 examples, I got killed 500 times, playing Elite (1 game save). I am testing more than playing, cursing more than enjoying.

so, you do complain about what?

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

I've gone a step further and un-installed the game. It's borderline infuriating how much potential this game has, only to be squandered by poor design choices with concerns to the AI. I don't really play multiplayer, and I haven't got enough time in my life to join a clan

never knew, you have to be in a clan to play multiplayer?

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

It would be nice if the DEVs came out with a statement of intents upon their fixing priorities even though I know we're not owed an explanation for this debacle and that could lead to high expectations from the masses.

I have expressed my opinion on the opportunity of removing the combat AI and devoting all manpower to multiplayer, perhaps a community poll would help, provided the community is informed that at the 3rd episode this is the AI we have and there's no improvement in sight (IMO there will never be).

I would do such a poll but would rather have BIS itself launch it. It's important to be in touch with the community and take their opinions.

Sorry for the prophanity :)

nice idea! Now tell me, how should we play campaign without combat AI?

This isn't what i wrote. Nor did i denied that AI has problems that need fixing. I was responding to the idea that BI should drop AI completely and focus on TvT/PvP. Majority of players do like coop which relies on AI. This also doesn't mean that coop players are happy with current AI as this is not related to ones preferred gamemode, basically.

TvT/PvP. Majority of players do like coop
and now the question ! why is this ;) the tvt pvp was go down with ofp - arma 1 - because bis has make nothing or have need to many time for fix the MP !! this is not because coop is the most liket gamepart !!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the result from a fail mp fixing on the start from the final games and then to many time to fix it ;)

so, you say, ai programmers should stop their work, and should work on net code? I thought coding/scripting AI, is something different to network code?

Success is built by numbers and, in our case, numbers translate into sales which builds, in turn, the revenue that pays the salary of the DEVs.

ArmA has chosen a very small niche and decided to stay there instead of expanding, while others have rushed forth in graphics, innovations, design, realism and numbers.

I was here at ArmA, skipped ArmA2 and am back (regretting it) with ArmA3. Nothing changed. Same problems.

Sun Tzu (applied to economics) teaches: Reinforce Success, starve failure.

BIS CAN build a Multiplayer simulator, retaining their niche and being successful.

Like you said, "copy my stance" command must be fixed - since OFP.

AI never copies my stance

Copy my stance command is a misnomer, it does what it's suppose to do -> to revert back AI stance to their own discretion, because we already have command for them to go prone/crouch and stand. So copy my stance is actually setUnitPos "auto". Basically a misnomer...

Just had yet a wonderfully disastrous clusterfuck thanks to this unfixed bug.

Im 100 M out in front of my retards, I had them stay put so I could see whats up An enemy truck crests the hill in front of me, full of troops I open fire (machinegunner) and command my men to ATTACK the truck... they are only a short distance back just over a small rise.

WELL HERE THEY FUCKING COME!!! AT HALF THE SPEED OF SMELL!

Im waiting waiting waiting.. check the map... sure enough, they are crawling, walking basckwards "IM COVERING" COVERING WHAT!? THERE ISN'T A GODDAMN THING OVER THERE!?

I tell them RELAX, STAND UP, CEASE FIRE!!

nothing, just the typical 12 year running circle jerk of inept behavior... they are covering perhaps 5 meters every 20 seconds or so..

the entire THREAT is 100 M in front of me, 200M in front of them NOTHING NOT A GOD DAMN THING is back where they are... yet here they are looking backward, crawling, "COVERING" each other from NOTHING.

No command would override this dumb shit retarded behavior, not that I have the fucking time to sit here an monkey fuck the command menue.. Im the one ACTUALLY IN COMBAT..

This is bullshit, its been bullshit for over a decade and it needs to be addressed, Im sick of this shit. $60 in the fucking toilet... again.

Have you tried what I have suggested to you? If not, try it.