Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Leader

I think I'll go and give this a shot, it pops up way too often when I check Today's Posts :P

With those I can combine many (9 in this case, eg "White Serpent") unique callsigns and assign one per group via setVariable. Those callsigns could be used in HQ chat and maybe also in the AI chat map markers (not sidechat, as this uses radio command to add voice, for which sentence is sadly hardcoded in the description.ext). Just have to figure out reliable code managing callsign assignment taking into account groups spawned mid-game and keeping callsigns unique.

So, what do you think, people? Good idea?

I like it, I believe DUWS also does that for objectives / missions?

An easy and foolproof way to generate unique callsigns would be to store each pair of indexes (adjective index and noun index) in an array. In the loop that generates the callsigns, you could then check if a combination already exists and decide what to do from there if it does.

HAL 1.2 released. Changelog:

- DLC helos classes;

- sling load for ammo drops;

- text radio chat for HQ orders;

- RHQ autofiller;

- dynamic callsigns;

- HWS tweaks including new morale formula;

- code optimization;

- bugfixing;

- updated manual.

Some highlights about new things (from manual):

[b]RydHQ_HQChat = true[/b] – shared by all Leaders. If true, player will be notified about each
order issued for each group by his Leader. This communication will be displayed in silent chat
form; 

[b]RydHQ_RHQAutoFill = true[/b] – shared by all Leaders. Switch for automatic RHQ set
construction based on units’ config. May be used instead or together with manual RHQ
setting. May be not 100% reliable for units configured in exotic way;

[b]RydHQ_SlingDrop = false[/b] – shared by all Leaders. If true, helicopters selected for ammo drop
support missions will use slingloading instead of dropping boxes with parachutes;

[b]RydHQ_CallSignsA[/b] =

[indent][
["ONE",false],
["TWO",false],
["THREE",false],
["FOUR",false],
["FIVE",false],
["SIX",false],
["SEVEN",false],
["EIGHT",false],
["NINE",false],
["TEN",false],
["ELEVEN",false],
["TWELVE",false],
["WHITE",true],
["GREY",true],
["BLACK",true],
["BLUE",true],
["RED",true],
["GREEN",true],
["YELLOW",true],
["PURPLE",true],
["BROWN",true],
["ORANGE",true],
["DARK",true],
["BRIGHT",true]
][/indent]

and

[b]RydHQ_CallSignsN[/b] =

[indent][
[indent][//soft
["PERSEUS",[]],
["AJAX",[]],
["HECTOR",[]],
["CASTOR",[]],
["JASON",[]],
["ACHILLES",[]]
],

[//hard
["LADON",[]],
["CERBERUS",[]],
["MANTICORE",[]],
["MINOTAUR",[]],
["CENTAUR",[]],
["CHIMERA",[]]
],

[//aerial
["PHOENIX",[]],
["HARPY",[]],
["GRIFFIN",[]],
["SPHINX",[]],
["PEGASUS",[]],
["ERINYS",[]]
],

[//artillery
["HERACLES",[]],
["CYCLOPS",[]],
["ARES",[]],
["ATLAS",[]],
["TYPHON",[]],
["POLYPHEMUS",[]]
][/indent]

][/indent]

– shared by all Leaders. Set of two arrays of arrays used by HAL for dynamic call signs
assignment. Define one or both as empty array to disable this feature. False/true tag
controls, if string from the first array will be added after/before string from the second array.
Each entry of the four subarrays in the second array must be an array holding string and
empty array. Consequent subarrays of second array correspond to group kind: soft, hard, air,
artillery. Basing on these arrays HAL will assign for each controlled group unique call sign by
taking one string from proper sub array of RydHQ_CallSignsN and for subsequent groups of
same kind will supplement it with subsequent strings from RydHQ_CallSignsA. When all of
them are used, next element from RydHQ_CallSignsN subarrays is taken and again
supplemented with subsequent elements of RydHQ_CallSignsA. When all possible
combinations are used for given kind of groups, each next will get display name of its leader
vehicle as callsign. Following same pattern, as for default, user can define both variables with
custom sets of any number of callsign elements;

So we have next +0.1 version. That means serious changes and significant amount of new stuff, and that means, as always, risk of new bugs. So I'll be 2xgrateful for any feedback especially around new features. :)

Edited by Rydygier

Thanks you for the update Rydygier! As a relatively new mission maker, I have a question to which the answer may be clear as day to most people, but I'm not sure how I should proceed.

When you update your script/addon, would you recommend that I go and replace files in missions that use an old version of HETMAN, or will there be likely conflicts caused by the changes which will break the mission? I use the script version for our armagroup because we host missions off an dedicated server and don't want unneccecary addons in our repository.

Your mission making tool has grown in popularity within our group as a matter a fact. I have to thank you for all the dynamicity your script has added to our missions, its really quite great.

- All the best, Nummi

Thank you very much for informing us about the updated version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

When you update your script/addon, would you recommend that I go and replace files in missions that use an old version of HETMAN, or will there be likely conflicts caused by the changes which will break the mission? I use the script version for our armagroup because we host missions off an dedicated server and don't want unneccecary addons in our repository.

In 99% cases you should IMO update the files definitelly. I'm keeping Hetman compatible back as much as possible.

The only exception could be, if your own mission scripting is somehow bounded/dependent on HAL's parts of the code (your script refers directly to/lies on the HAL's code), which was changed in the new versions. If you're not sure about that, then most probably it isn't the case and you can and should update the files. :) Always you may test on the copy of the mission first.

Of course, mission design may suffer sometimes, if not takes into account new features/behaviors coming with new version, but in most cases such new features are optional, so you may decide, if to disable such feature via init variable, or rather tailor the mission to fit it. For example, for 1.2, if your mission design assumes, so HAL's Leaders will not fill the chat with issued orders, while exactly that was introduced in 1.2.

Your mission making tool has grown in popularity within our group as a matter a fact. I have to thank you for all the dynamicity your script has added to our missions, its really quite great.

- All the best, Nummi

Glad to hear, really. :) Thanks.

Edited by Rydygier

Just did had a good go at HAL_BBdemo on Altis, with ZBE_cache running. I did encounter a repeating bug in the RPT...

_mark setMarkerCo>
 Error Zero divisor
Error in expression <orRed";_alpha = 0.5};

_mark = _markers select _foreachIndex;

_mark setMarkerCo>
 Error position: <select _foreachIndex;

I had a very high FPS and CPS all the way throughout with no problems.

"4004 ZBE_Cache (Error: No vehicle) ---  Groups: 93 # All/Cached Units: 349/231 # All/Cached Vehicles: 52/12 # FPS: 50 # ObjectDrawDistance: 0"

Is there a way to enable sounds in the addon version? I see the script version has it.

Really impressed with HAL so far :)

What causes the "OLYMPUS" debug messages to appear? I cant seem to turn them off even though all the values in the init files are set to false. Any ideas?

Is there anything in the code preventing HAL from being launched from both the script version and the Addon version. The reason is because we are considering starting to use the addon version in our community and we already have script based missions.

What causes the "OLYMPUS" debug messages to appear? I cant seem to turn them off even though all the values in the init files are set to false. Any ideas?

My mistake, I gave wrong variable name in the manual. This should be:

RydHQ_HQChat = false;

Is there a way to enable sounds in the addon version?

You mean, no AI chatter sounds for addon version? Weird. I have these sounds with no problems for both versions. When checking that found however a small problem with AI chat map markers for addon version - there is no text sentences written at marker. Same for HQ chat - sentences are incomplete. It's simple mistake. I have to fix that ASAP.

Just did had a good go at HAL_BBdemo on Altis, with ZBE_cache running. I did encounter a repeating bug in the RPT...

It's from BB function controlling objectives markers colors depending, who controls given objective. But if there is such problem, should occur regardless of ZBE_cache because I see nothing common between caching and that function. Another thing to investigate. Thanks to all for reports. :)

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

Is there anything in the code preventing HAL from being launched from both the script version and the Addon version.

You mean to prevent starting addon when script is running already or vice versa? No such mechanisms. Why should be such thing? I assumed, mission maker will control that and either remove scripts from the mission or will play without the addon. Mission should be always played only with one of these two versions.

Edited by Rydygier

HAL 1.21 released. Changelog:

- Fixed error with BB's objective markers;

- fixed error with incomplete chat sentences in addon version;

- corrected variable name for switching HQ chat in the manual.

BTW this BB's objective markers error reported by Kremator was due to lacking function (omitted when transgressing the code from HWS). It occured only, if BB debug was active, which I forget to do during tests. As for "no sound for addon" checked both versions, and sound is on place (I hope, also for you, people). Thanks again for bug reports.

Edited by Rydygier

Thank you very much for informing us about the updated version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

In the latest file at armaholic, the "NO sounds script version" contains the sounds.

Well, the more versions, the easier for such mistakes. But it's still soundless version - these sounds aren't used, so just delete "Sound" folder, if you want. Thanks for the info.

Hello Rydygier

As a supporter of your mod, this update is one of the reasons I am rushing to get my house in order to get the PC fired up!

I noticed in the previous version after prolonged missions, consisting of large evenly matched armies, that leaders begin to stop giving orders. It may be the result of both side taking enough causalities for the leaders of both sides to believe that a offensive of the next objective is not viable. Therefore they take a stationary defensive role. Does this sound about right?

:)

It may be. If both sides took heavy casaulties (depending on mission setup this may be less or more probable) in time morale will drop and tendency to stay defensive will raise. You can test, if that's the case by playing with RydHQ_Debug = true. Or set RydHQ_Berserk = true; to keep Leader attacking and see, if it works all the time.

Not defensive, but lack of major activity is expected also obviously after taking all objectives/killing all known enemies or if there is not much combat effective groups left, which may occur for prolonged battles eg due to lack of ammo or too many wounded in many groups.

Edited by Rydygier

Hi first of great Mod just started looking at it and it is awesome !

A quick question i have a Main Base that is where All my AI troop will be stationed - then sent out from there - my question is if an Objective is the other side of Altis - what is the distance before they decide to drive / take transport ? i.e to far to walk ?

Many thanks

Hi. I'm glad, you like it. :)

The distance have to be above 1000 meters to make a chance for transport. There are of course also other factors involved, allowing or disallowing cargo transport, like kind of task. Also vehicle will be not assigned, if it's too far from the requesting group. It's max 2000 for land and 6000 for aerial transport.

Hello Rydygier,

Probably asked before, but how well would perform the Commander using units from DAC/EOS/UPSMON systems?

Would it be compatible/working, as the units are spawned once the player are near enough?

It's not important, in what way a group would appear on the map, it may be controlled by Hetman on the fly regardless, treated as reinforcement. Problems may appear, if/when mentioned mods would try to control same groups in same fashion, Hetman does - via waypoints and setting group behavior/combat mode. Then you have basically two mods fighting for the control over AI groups with all kind of bizarre side effects expected. No such problems expected with most of low level AI enhancers though.

How to overcome possible issues depends on used mod specificity, and I do not know well enough to tell you.