Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Now that might not actually be a productive feedback, pointing out flaws or things to be fixed, but I just finished it and had to leave my comments here:

@ALLYOUGUYSATBOHEMIA: AMAZING. Had to use caps lock for this. This story grabbed me and didn't let me even leave my seat until the very end. I'm a little dehydrated now but this needs to be done first. If you compare this to the official Arma 2 and Arrowhead campaign, its an improvement of 200% minimum. You created believable characters, a hell of a story, the sight of a simple soldier who doesn't really know whats going on (I know that feeling, even though not under combat circumstances :D), the 'mystery' around Cpt Miller, a very nice soundtrack giving epicness to the scenes, awesome mission variety and it all comes shipped in a box full of outstanding graphics and visual overlays.

The only critic coming to my mind is the mortar spread on Mk26. With those gunners it is not just a gamble, its a 95% chance of failure. Make them more accurate or give me a sniper rifle. But don't blame me I missed some when I set the markers directly on the target.

And I had some sound issues with my 7.1 G35. Regular talking (no coms) could only be heard on my left side and when turning my back, face or right side to them I couldn't hear them. Everything else worked fine. Don't know if thats due to my setup but I never experienced this before in other games.

To sum things up: You have never been so close to a realistic war scenario, and even though I never want to be stuck in this kind of situation I find it to be very enjoyable and thrilling in Arma 3. Keep up that quality, guys and keep them episodes coming.

Btw that cliffhanger is killing me.

Edited by Dar

Funny thing is, the main complaint I've seen outside of these forums has been "how do I start campaign, there's no PLAY button"... then again, that got me at first too! Could this UI issue be revised somehow?

This campaign is really pissing me off. Was it only Drawdown 2035 to Tipping Point or have I not downloaded everything? It took me less than 3 hours to beat it. It's really making me mad I was expecting a decent length campaign but so far this is a joke. Please, for the love of GabeN tell me I didn't download the actual campaign.

Altis has far more possibilities and wider areas than Stratis. I guess the upcoming episodes will be longer.

So ~9 hours total? --when the rest comes out--... Honestly that's pathetic.

And the 6 hours in FPS games much, much more.

You're right, but at the same time I was guessing based on my 3 hour play time on max skill level. If I was playing recruit I bet I could of had it in 2 hours.

Just played a few missions so far. Immersion feels good, voice acting cheers me up (reminds of CWC). Anyway, I guess it's not intended you can select a weapon with attachments of choice in the camp and still start with a predefined weapon in any mission? I feel kinda lost running around with ironsights, when at least a holographic attachment would be appropriate...

3 hours of gameplay is short for you? what about popular games like cod? I beat that shit in 2 hours or less, and its all run and shoot over and over crap bullshiet nonstop

And I had some sound issues with my 7.1 G35. Regular talking (no coms) could only be heard on my left side and when turning my back, face or right side to them I couldn't hear them. Everything else worked fine. Don't know if thats due to my setup but I never experienced this before in other games.

Same issue for me.

you can't complain much about first episode. Not really much to do on Stratis, but on Altis, there is really a lot to do. Lets just wait and see. 2 CAS fixed wing aircafts coming for episode 2, i guess more reasons to be excited ^^

Dude, either you can't read or you're trolling. :D It was clearly written at the beginning of the campaign that there are 2 more episodes coming.

My thoughts on "Survive":

- Good campaign, had its great moments, especially when AAF pulled back and the "big guys" came crushing in. That was... wow!

- Good immersion

Negative points:

- When a guy spoke (e.g. Miller at briefing) I had to point the middle of my screen RIGHT at him, otherwise the sound of his voice went low and I couldn't hear a thing. I use a stereo headphone.

- The constant automatic change of the player's equipment in Maxwell got on my nerves... I know that the mission designer might have given the player the best gear for the next mission, but nevertheless it was annoying.

- As much as I liked the CSAT rolling in, it was quite unrealistic having the sky full of (attack) choppers which did just circle around a little bit and let two boats full of NATO troops escape (yeah, I know that the yets bombed the boats later - it doesn't count IMO)

Keep up the good work, BIS!

Edited by Undeceived

Dude, either you can't read or you're trolling. :D It was clearly written at the beginning of the campaign that there are 2 more episodes coming.

My thoughts on "Survive":

- Good campaign, had its great moments, especially when AAF pulled back and the "big guys" came crushing in. That was... wow!

- Good immersion

Negative points:

- When a guy spoke (e.g. Miller at briefing) I had to point the middle of my screen RIGHT at him, otherwise the sound of his voice went low and I couldn't hear a thing. I use a stereo headphone.

- The constant automatic change of the player's equipment in Maxwell got on my nerves... I know that the mission designer might have given the player the best gear for the next mission, but nevertheless it was annoying.

- As much as I liked the CSAT rolling in, it was quite unrealistic having the sky full of (attack) choppers which did just circle around a little bit and let two boats full of NATO troops escape (yeah, I know that the yets bombed the boats later - it doesn't count IMO)

Keep up the good work, BIS!

And he's saying that each episode being 3 hrs long if you're good, it'll only be 9 hours total. As in he thinks campaigns should be longer than 9 hrs. But, considering the first episode was very linear in nature, if the rest of the campaign is like this then how much longer can you expect it to be? Unless you've got a whole lot more missions.

I can't remember the last AAA shooter I played with a campaign over 4-5 hours. If A3 hits 9 hours, it's already winning comparatively. And I can see it easily going above that once it starts introducing the player to tank commander and team leader roles.

I really hope they take some more influence from CWC and introduce us to it slowly one step at a time. Such as when you went from being a lowly tank crewman to commanding an Abrams like a boss.

My bet is on at least 15 hours, total.

And he's saying that each episode being 3 hrs long if you're good, it'll only be 9 hours total. As in he thinks campaigns should be longer than 9 hrs. But, considering the first episode was very linear in nature, if the rest of the campaign is like this then how much longer can you expect it to be? Unless you've got a whole lot more missions.

but you don't take in account, it wook place on Stratis, which is 214235x times smaller then Altis. Would you enjoy 20hours campaign on Stratis, visiting same locations 10 times, under various circlesstanses?

Well, some people are never happy!

I think I can safely say that BIS have done a damn fine job on the first episode of the mission, bloody good work (as us Brits would say :p).

Btw, The campaign isn't meant to find out who can complete it in the fastest time, it is meant to be enjoyed, something which I am doing immensely.

Also, presumably the gameplay will differ, "Survive" being a kind of introduction, what with all the hints, etc. Some longer missions would be nice. Not overlong, but at least 20-30 minutes. Seems like all the missions in the first episode were 10 or less.

Anyway, I guess it's not intended you can select a weapon with attachments of choice in the camp and still start with a predefined weapon in any mission? I feel kinda lost running around with ironsights, when at least a holographic attachment would be appropriate...

Anyone can give me headsup if this is intentionally or if I should open up a ticket?

in "radio silence" the mortars hits always at least 500m spread from the target. Tried the map clicking method too. The related ticked is closed, why? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15612&nbn=4

i've just fired 5 shells at base centre, got killed pretty much of perhaps 70% enemies, 3 left shots killed the rest who ran on the ground. Had to take the towe guys out then.

in "radio silence" the mortars hits always at least 500m spread from the target. Tried the map clicking method too. The related ticked is closed, why? http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15612&nbn=4

When that mission was created there was no dispersion for indirect fire, i.e. a mortar round would hit the exact target coordinates. Now that dispersion was added, the task became almost impossible to complete forcing the developers to change the mission flow, i.e. you can now fail the task and continue with the mission.

This still seems an ad hoc solution for me since changing the task itself to something along the lines of weakning the enemy forces occupying Mike 26 would allow for task completion.

i've just fired 5 shells at base centre, got killed pretty much of perhaps 70% enemies, 3 left shots killed the rest who ran on the ground. Had to take the towe guys out then.

hmm....i´ve soundmod running (sos)...seems to be a conflict. But can´t verify it with current savegames (mod dependency).

edit:

@HKFlash

yep I had to overrun the airstation.

@KingHomer

same here. Had to drop my better equipment before briefing and picked it up later.

Edited by JumpingHubert

Has anybody else experienced the teamleader in Radio Silence not moving after leaving the truck? Couldn't set up the OP, so the task failed. Bummer :/

I get the problem on default branch too, no mods. I will try again today with a complete restart from the last mission and see if that helps. Aside from that though, good going, no bugs, no gamebreakers.

Just that adams was magically alive again in radio silence. idk? And the casualties in the hub all have the same face.