Sign in to follow this  
bracer

The New York City Project

very good and huge work you made with this!!! keep going :)

Glad you like it!

I'm very happy with how it looks on the ground.

A little less happy with the skyline, it looks very square as you can see on the 4th photo...

Like something from Minecraft :)

I think what I need to do is to add buildings with more rounded roof tops, it might make it more alive.

Any other suggestions on how to make it look better from the air?

What is looking odd to you?

What's missing?

Talking about these photos: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167089-The-New-York-City-Project&p=2578651&viewfull=1#post2578651

sidewalks look a bit empty.. maybe some benches, garbage cans, garbage laying around? :)

yes some decoration in the outsides would be nice too :) but, I'm not sure if this could be posible, but, have you thought about a metro/underground station? i dont know if this is posible in the arma engine, but maybe it would be cool if some road had a hole/crater in it, and part of the metro was seen, I don't know, its just that destruction is always a cool thing.

cant wait to try the pre-release!

http://www.helderpinto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/alienvessel_s1.jpg

http://www.videogameszone.de/screenshots/667x375/2010/05/crysis-2-bilder-new-york-zerst_rt-001.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18j27512dia7kjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

http://www.sacandco.net/images/640/360/2/assetpool/photogallery/193467/crysis_3_-_river_concept_art.png

(Flooded zone?)

Edited by nightovizard

Yeah, and some phoneboots and signs!

I doubt there will be any phone booths around in 2035 ... or mailboxes.

yes some decoration in the outsides would be nice too :) but, I'm not sure if this could be posible, but, have you thought about a metro/underground station? i dont know if this is posible in the arma engine, but maybe it would be cool if some road had a hole/crater in it, and part of the metro was seen, I don't know, its just that destruction is always a cool thing.

I should be possible, and I thought about it. But I don't think I could do it...

Will keep thinking.

hows the performance on this map?? out of curiocity

I'm not happy with the performance at the moment, probably the map is too big.

But then again, my PC is a 2,4ghz quadcore with 3gb ram, so I imagine it will run smoother on newer PC's.

But I might make a smaller map with less buildings and adjust performance that way.

I doubt there will be any phone booths around in 2035 ... or mailboxes.

Nah, maybe not, but I'm building it as a 2013 version.

I'll admit, I was skeptical. Now I'm impressed. I can imagine creeping around this scenery during pre-dawn with some well-configured fog...

Regarding the skyline, it's missing spires - think ESB, Chrysler, etc. Obviously a skyscraper would be too much, let alone many of them, but even a few tall antennae would help break it up a bit.

Edited by Harzach

I'll admit, I was skeptical. Now I'm impressed. I can imagine creeping around this scenery during pre-dawn with some well-configured fog...

Haha, I can imagine, since you live there!

Well I sure did a misstake calling it NYC project... It should have been something more generic.

Most buildings are based on NYC buildings though.

Fog and rain does make the map look and run better :)

I should be possible, and I thought about it. But I don't think I could do it...

Will keep thinking.

I'm not happy with the performance at the moment, probably the map is too big.

But then again, my PC is a 2,4ghz quadcore with 3gb ram, so I imagine it will run smoother on newer PC's.

But I might make a smaller map with less buildings and adjust performance that way.

Nah, maybe not, but I'm building it as a 2013 version.

It probably won't run that well on newer PCs, if it's like Fallujah.

It's Fallujah running worse on newer systems?? How come?

It's Fallujah running worse on newer systems?? How come?

Well, at least on my system, which runs Arma 3 decently but it's not great (CPU is 2.2Ghz stock :( ). Fallujah always ran poorly for me. For some (more than a few), Altis' and Stratis' cities run poorly. So, I'd imagine that this would run poorly as well, especially considering your comments. It's nothing to drastically change about your map, though. Those who can run it well will be able too. I'm also not really sure the issue would be the size of the map as much as the density of the buildings. But only you can judge that. Curious though that you said fog and map makes the map run better. That's interesting.

Well, at least on my system, which runs Arma 3 decently but it's not great (CPU is 2.2Ghz stock :( ). Fallujah always ran poorly for me. For some (more than a few), Altis' and Stratis' cities run poorly. So, I'd imagine that this would run poorly as well, especially considering your comments. It's nothing to drastically change about your map, though. Those who can run it well will be able too. I'm also not really sure the issue would be the size of the map as much as the density of the buildings. But only you can judge that. Curious though that you said fog and map makes the map run better. That's interesting.

I see!

Well, it's clearly the amount of (still poorly optimized, so there is hope!) buildings that causes it to run slow.

So a smaller map with a smaller area of dense buildings will help performance.

The fog seems to reduce the view distance, which helps performance.

I will release an evalution map, from there based on the feedback I will decide wether or not to make the map smaller.

The first release will not include stuff like trashcans, backalleys with garbage, walls and containers,

the reason is that I want to know how big to make the map before spending time on details.

Edit; I noticed that proper use of LoD's do help performance, and as soon as I understand it properly I can hopefully make it perform better.

Dont' understand? Your saying it won't run well on newer PC's? Are you implying it runs better on older ones? No offense but at 2.2ghz i'm amazed your playing Arma at all

Dont' understand? Your saying it won't run well on newer PC's? Are you implying it runs better on older ones? No offense but at 2.2ghz i'm amazed your playing Arma at all

Implying that it just might struggle on all mid-range PCs. Wouldn't surprise me given the shear amount of buildings, but as I said, no way to know until it's tested. Only bracer can really judge that, or the community once it's released. That's all. I've got a 2.2GHz PC with Nvidia GeForce 555M. Not running it at all max (apparently some people have the idea that this is the only way you can run Arma, i.e. your comment). Should have specified mid-range PCs. Anyway, that's really offtopic so don't want to linger there. Looking forward to this when it's released (hope the buildings have good destruction models. Wanna see them crumble :) )

So I guess techinicly I shouldn't even be running Arma 2 with my specs?

Are most of the buildings enterable?

Nice map,

I guess object view distance affect FPS a lot? It might be best to adjust fog distance with object draw distance.

Proper LOD will sure help FPS a lot.

About maker it look nicer from the air.

look at this picture for exemple: https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+york+city&rlz=1C1JRYI_enCA476CA476&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WjSvUqPQMaGzsASXsoDwCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=924#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=XRFpVPk0m9RXpM%3A%3BQGtfHnpH4KSElM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fe%252Fe5%252FChrysler_Building_Midtown_Manhattan_New_York_City_1932.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252F1916_Zoning_Resolution%3B5359%3B3779

-Buildings varies in height

-they are not all rectangle (at the top)

Looking foward to play this map

For me Fallujah runs great much better than Altis for example. Heavy areas of town it's down to 30FPS but outskirts or light areas a good 60FPS.

Map looks great loved Emita City. If at all possible can you make it compatible with the ALiVE mod (MSO for Arma3) ?

Good news and bad news!

Lag was caused by the large amount of proxys (desks, chairs, PC's) used in the biggest building.

So performance is greatly increased!

On the downside the building is now very empty...

Nice map,

I guess object view distance affect FPS a lot? It might be best to adjust fog distance with object draw distance.

Proper LOD will sure help FPS a lot.

About maker it look nicer from the air.

look at this picture for exemple: https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+york+city&rlz=1C1JRYI_enCA476CA476&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WjSvUqPQMaGzsASXsoDwCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=924#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=XRFpVPk0m9RXpM%3A%3BQGtfHnpH4KSElM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fe%252Fe5%252FChrysler_Building_Midtown_Manhattan_New_York_City_1932.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252F1916_Zoning_Resolution%3B5359%3B3779

-Buildings varies in height

-they are not all rectangle (at the top)

Looking foward to play this map

Agreed, it will help to add some different roof tops!

Easy fix!

Cheers and thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

For me Fallujah runs great much better than Altis for example. Heavy areas of town it's down to 30FPS but outskirts or light areas a good 60FPS.

Map looks great loved Emita City. If at all possible can you make it compatible with the ALiVE mod (MSO for Arma3) ?

Thanks!

Yeah, depends on what is required from the terrain by AliVE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Edited by bracer

Yeah, depends on what is required from the terrain by AliVE?

Finding out now... if it's the same or similar as MSO for Arma 2 there needs to be a proper centre and defined locations (ie: military, civilian, infrastructure points (fuel stations, power stations, etc). I'll try and give you some more (useful) info :)

we read the map objects themselves, so by theory if he adds paths that are not default paths it could be we cant read the objects and compile presets, best is to ask Arjay about it, but what i can defo say is that the more he sticks to BIS standards the better and easier it will work

Will get some more info for you

Edited by SavageCDN

So, here's some news for ya'll!

I've decided to release the test map in the middle of development.

The release will contain an island with most of my buildings placed, and copy - pasted to a high amount!

At the moment there is 15 different type of buildings on the map, all custom made, some are still faaaaaar from finished.

Some are just a shell, walls and roof.

All are enterable, some only 1-3 floors, but most of them are fully enterable!

There is plenty of errors and glitches, the map has no decorations (bins, containers and stuff like that) and the buildings are almost empty from furniture.

The reason for this is of course to test performance before spending time decorating the map.

There will be a few questions that I need answers to in return:

How it performs?

Should the map be bigger/less decorated or smaller/more decorated? Furniture on all the floors and rooms takes alot of fps it seems.

How do you play the map, against AI or PvP? What should I focus on?

Report other bugs!! And not how empty the buildings are or lame the map is, remember it's released in the middle of development and I need many more months to actually complete it!

Also I need some cool missions, so I hope some of you guys can make som TDM, King of the Skyscraper or similar.

ETA of release TBA later!

^ awesome news can't wait to take her for a spin!!

Don't worry about lack of items in buildings etc... better to make the map perform well to begin with IMO

The enterable buildings do they have AI paths so bots can use them?

Edited by SavageCDN