Sign in to follow this  
teargas

Shooting thru the trees

Are there any news on fixing situations with gunfire in forest areas, where enemy soldiers shoot you through the trees?

I just started to replay OFP and found this damn seriously annoying. It just makes game unplayable sometimes.

It looks like I spotted enemy running inside forest, he spotted me, I hide in bush or tree barrel, and right after was shot down THROUGH THE TREES which are supposed to be solid enough to stop bullets.

I remember it always was a problem, starting from OFP demo and still no solution?

I wouldn't see any problem with shooting through OFP's trees, they dont look that thick to me.

Assault rifle bullet can go through sandbag, so going thru a tree (trees are

not so thick in OFP) is not a problem at all.

Soviet bullets are more high powered than Nato one's due to larger cartridge.

Well Im no expect, but I think they have higher "knockdown" power but NATO bullets have a longer effective range, particularly now they use 5.56 as opposed to the old 7.62 although I think the current Russian wepaon also uses 5.56

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ Aug. 21 2002,14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well Im no expect, but I think they have higher "knockdown" power but NATO bullets have a longer effective range, particularly now they use 5.56 as opposed to the old 7.62 although I think the current Russian wepaon also uses 5.56<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but the current 5.56 Russian still has a larger cartridge than the NATO one. Hence Russian bullets having higher knockdown power, as you said.

In Real Life, 7.62 penetrates deeper than 5.56 in every material you can think of, including tissue.

According to Field Manual FM 90-10, the 5.56 will penetrate 25 inches / 62 centimeters of pine board at a distance 200 meters. The 7.62 does 50 inches / 125 centimeters at the same distance.

(Updated the URL above to point to a full downloadable version of the Field Manual)

Just to nitpick a bit: The Soviet standard is 5.45x39 and not 5.56x45.

in OFP bullets do not penetrate trees, i learnt this when i unloaded from a mounted .50 cal machine gun at an AI and the bullets all got stopped by an effing tree. i got shot of course since AI's understand the matrix and can warp space and time.

it happened again yesterday, i had a tank parked near woods, saw an enemy in a clearing unloaded with the coax and all my bullets that hit a tree got stopped. talk about being immensely pissed off, at least i finished him off when the heat round finally loaded.

You can always aim on the ground next to the tree with the .50, the splash damage will kill infantry hiding behind the tree.

I know bullets don't go through nogova trees. An enemy T80 spotted me one time at my abush point that I was using for a bit. He tried to use the Mgun to get me, but I stood right behind a tree and he didn't kill me. I was eventually able to excape far enough into te forest.

It's all right with your answers, all.

You're indeed clever, all.

I am STILL asking the question about the BUG with shootung through the trees:

- if bullets really can penetrate trees, then why NOT MINE bullets? I can't hit enemies through the trees while the do.

- if enemies can't see me through the trees then how they aim and shoot through the trees?

Mission "After Montignac" is plainly unplayable with this, because it's just useless to hide and to combat in forests.

Bullets in OFP dont go through anything that U cant walk through.

I don't know of this issue being a bug. I think it's a bit of a grey area. Tree trunks would certainly stop bullets from standard assault rifles, unless they were very small trees! For example, trying to fell a fully grown oak tree with an AK74 would take quite a long time! The bullet is ploughing into an inter-woven, very densely packed very elastic substance (and going against the grain of the wood). The bullet might penetrate a plank made of the same material, but a tree trunk upwards of a foot thick? Unlikely unless it was a hard target interdiction weapon... confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (teargas @ Aug. 21 2002,20:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- if bullets really can penetrate trees, then why NOT MINE bullets? I can't hit enemies through the trees while the do.<span id='postcolor'>

if AI bullets can penetrate trees then yours must be able to either... i know AI sometimes acts.... a bit like in matrix... but they still use the same weapons with the same physics...

i dont know about any patches being develop about this problem... i dont know if this really is a problem or a bug...

Most people underestimate the penetrating power of bullets and overestimate the stopping power of everything. Greyknight, the United States had a jeep-mounted belt-fed automatic shotgun in Vietnam (it was quickly banned by NATO, the bastards) that could actually mow down hills as well as forest, in seconds. Yes, it would be realistic if bullets could penetrate trees in Operation Flashpoint. The problem is that Operation Flashpoint doesn't let bullets penetrate anything but glass. If you shoot at the driver of a UAZ through the door (not the window), he will be unharmed no matter how many times you shoot him, until the UAZ is destroyed. In real life, one bullet through the door would do the trick.

I do not know how the AI see through and shoot past (I say past because bullets do not go through trees in Operation Flashpoint) trees, but they do. I have been spotted and shot many times when there was solid forest in the line of sight between me and the enemy. Likewise, I have hidden behind a tree the way the AI does so effectively, but every time I do I get shot. Teargas is right, forest combat is just about impossible. I will have to find a multiplayer mission where human players combat each other in a forest. That will be interesting.

That's right.

This is long lasting bug.

I know, it's not a one step task to implement correct visibility through the trees, but sometimes this bug pushes playability level so harsh, its just boring to go further...

FWIW, I have yet to get shot through a tree in OFP. Are you using any addons or a modified config file?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 21 2002,23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FWIW, I have yet to get shot through a tree in OFP. Are you using any addons or a modified config file?<span id='postcolor'>

FFS...

Just newly installed OFP, patch level 1.46.

1985 campaign.

This bug renders mission 'After Montignac' unplayable.

Instead of ``normally``, as i would do in real life, hiding in the forest, this place, forest is the most dangerous, right as opposite. Once enemy spots you, they will shoot and hit you regardless of where you are hiding and whether they actually still see you. Yes. Behind the trees. They will shoot and hit you. You can't. There is no spoon, Neo...

Well bullets cant go through tree trunks certainly (In OFP) but through bushes and leaves of trees no problem. And yes you dont acctually have to hit to hurt people, a very nearby bullet thats hits the ground will hurt too. If you run along aiming directly downwards firing burst or full auto u'll kill urself after about a clip cos of the bullets landing very near to ur feet

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (teargas @ Aug. 21 2002,20:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's all right with your answers, all.

You're indeed clever, all.

I am STILL asking the question about the BUG with shootung through the trees:

- if bullets really can penetrate trees, then why NOT MINE bullets? I can't hit enemies through the trees while the do.

- if enemies can't see me through the trees then how they aim and shoot through the trees?

Mission "After Montignac" is plainly unplayable with this, because it's just useless to hide and to combat in forests.<span id='postcolor'>

Just cause you get a good ass-kicking in the forests doesn't mean crap. There is no bug that I've ever noticed. The people who shoot you have a LOS on you. Just becuase you didn't see them doesn't mean that they weren't in a good spot to shoot you.

And:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mission "After Montignac" is plainly unplayable with this, because it's just useless to hide and to combat in forests.<span id='postcolor'>

Uhhh, it's not really hard to think why you shouldn't engage an enemy any more than you have to, especially when you are stuck on an island being overrun and your side is evacuating. And enemies crawling all over around you.

I did that mission with only a little trouble. So don't give crap about unplayability.

For what it´s worth, I put an East soldier on one side of a tree on Nogova (Resistance), and me and a West soldier on the other side. The soldiers never fired at eachother through the tree. As soon as one of them spotted the other, he killed him. If the Russian soldier really could shoot through the tree, he would. Same thing with the West soldier.

I then put me and another West soldier on each side of a tree on Everon (OFP 1985), and added a radio trigger to make him aim and shoot at me. Same thing happened, he never fired unless I popped out from behind the tree. And he stopped shooting as soon as I hid behind the tree again. Neither him nor the Russian soldier shot through trees.

I saved the test as a user mission and uploaded it so you can see it yourself and play with it.

Click here to download the file. Unzip to your OFP/users/missions/ directory and open from the editor, Everon. It will create the folder for the "mission" when you unzip it.