tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

Hi TPW,

I posted this in the JSRS page but this was probably up your alley regarding a Tanoa sound pack:

"An "ambiance" sound pack would be awesome. I already use TPW_MOD for SP and the dogs,cats,goats and chickens really makes the world not so lonely.

Would love to see a proper regional sound pack. I bet TPW will work on that part.

Could really use some Baboons, Elephants, Tigers, Crocodiles, Macau, Parrots, etc sounds .I know its an Island, but the environment works for SE Asia such as the golden triangle - Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia or even Madagascar until the fine mappers use Tanoa assets and creates such maps.

Needs some authentic regional Fiji chatter and music too!"

You can also enable the same background sound for the Unsung Vietnam Mod and CPL Vietnam  and Nam maps since it the environments are close to the same.

As far as Tanoa is concerned I am indeed trying to source some Fijian voices, music and urban ambience stuff. One thing I won't be doing is sourcing ambient jungle sounds for animals that don't exist on small pacific archipelagos. I have enough trouble dealing with the bloody kookaburra which is as much an audio cliche as the Wilhelm scream!

• Like 2

Ill keep messing to see if there are Arma 3 adjustment anima's to better blend but cant promise anything -might just need a whole new animation. The actual image solus (slx creator) took that 'sit-down' one is actual pretty authentic, he showed me the clip of the AL-Qaeda fighter struck in Iraq by a HMMV's .50 -it literally just sat him down like that!

I don't doubt the sitting pose is authentic, but the instant transition to it isn't. If you can work out a way around it I'll gladly include it mate!  

Hi TPW,

As your mod has improved realism and immersion by more then 150% I have a question about radio chatter when you are on foot with no (armored) vehicles nearby.. Is there no possibility to implement it even when you are not near vehicles? If it would be possible it would improve the realism again with 150%. And if it is not possible would it be possible that it is activated when you have a certain radio in your backpack?

I really hope that it is possible one way or another.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

Groove

Hi TPW,

As your mod has improved realism and immersion by more then 150% I have a question about radio chatter when you are on foot with no (armored) vehicles nearby.. Is there no possibility to implement it even when you are not near vehicles? If it would be possible it would improve the realism again with 150%. And if it is not possible would it be possible that it is activated when you have a certain radio in your backpack?

I really hope that it is possible one way or another.

Thanks for all your hard work and effort.

Groove

I've often though about adding it, so I'll see if I can come up with a non annoying implementation. 

• Like 1

I've often though about adding it, so I'll see if I can come up with a non annoying implementation. 

You are the best!

TPW MODS 20160613: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160613.zip

Changes:

• [ALL] All PBOs updated to use author string instead of author array.
  • [CARS 1.43] Cars no longer forcibly slowed in towns or near AI, due to pathfinding improvements introduced in 136741.
  • [CIVS 1.43] Fixed bug where civilians occasionally did not despawn/respawn if player used teleport scripts. Civs will react to gunfire near player by running away. Civs will no longer stop to interact with each other if it's raining water or bullets. 
  • [CORE 1.21] Will select African civs for Tanoa until BIS releases Fijian units.
  • [FOG 1.38] Fog values adjusted for Tanoa. Heavy optimisations to dewpoint and fog code.
  • [PARK 1.13] Fixed sporadic parking errors on Tanoan dead end dirt roads. 
  • [RADIO 1.24] Random radio messages can be heard whilst on foot
  • [RAINFX 1.11] Code optimisations.
  • [sKIRMISH 1.24] Artillery flares (only those called by AI) modified to actually cast light.
  • Please update your tpw_mods.hpp

Another large bag of bug fixes and optimisations. The main one's you'll likely notice are improved civilian behaviour, and background military radio chatter when on foot. This requires use of say3d which does not allow volume control via script, so I've set the volumes to be at background level in the config. I realise the radio chatter is not to everyone's taste so it is easily toggled in the hpp or in-game with tpw_radio_foot = 0/1. I'm continuing to work on Tanoan ambience and am slowly acquiring a library of Fijian sounds and music which I'll hopefully be able to incorporate before too long.

• Like 2

Hey TPW - there's a nice little function in your scripts that returns the angle of sun, apparently written by CarlGustaffa. Is this available for use by me or do I need to go to him explicitly?

Hey TPW - there's a nice little function in your scripts that returns the angle of sun, apparently written by CarlGustaffa. Is this available for use by me or do I need to go to him explicitly?

As far as I remember he put it up for general use, and it certainly has been adopted far and wide, so I'd just grab it. My only proviso is that you use it to bring your bird startling mod to the game ASAP!

EDIT: Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but if you're just trying to find sunrise/sunset then BIS_fnc_sunriseSunsetTime is pretty solid. 

• Like 1

As far as I remember he put it up for general use, and it certainly has been adopted far and wide, so I'd just grab it. My only proviso is that you use it to bring your bird startling mod to the game ASAP!

EDIT: Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but if you're just trying to find sunrise/sunset then BIS_fnc_sunriseSunsetTime is pretty solid. 

Ok thanks :) startled boids will be my next small project :) (was in the works anyway ;))

As for the sunrise thing - thanks for the info but I'm using angle of sun to get a better value for the hottest part of the day for the relevant map lattitude. Warmer maps get warmer earlier in the day and for more of the year. Colder maps have a narrower window.

• Like 2

TPW MODS 20160614: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160614.zip

Changes:

• [CIVS 1.44] Civs will only spawn wearing shorts if temperature is above 20 degrees. Requires TPW FOG
  • [CARS 1.43] Further collision wrangling code to reduce carnage to people and the environment. Not 100% perfect.
  • [RADIO 1.25] Footbound ambient radio messages may be toggled with Ctrl+Alt+R.
  • [sOAP 1.07] Fijian music and ambience on Tanoa.

Sorry about the rapid pace of updates. I keep waiting for my enthusiasm to wane but it isn't. I think Tanoa might have something to do with it. Speaking of Tanoa, I finally assembled a regional Fijian soundpack for SOAP which I think captures the relaxed  ambience of the place pretty well and is a  nice complement to the outstanding visuals of this incredible map. 

• Like 9

Hi TPW, great updates.

Under user factions, is it possible to select more than 1 factions so it gets mixed up or into seperate faction squads? same for their vehicles? I wanted to test some "Joint Operations" quickly without laying down squads in EDEN.

Sorry about the rapid pace of updates.

Better having something that getting constant updates rather have something of this type of scripting work buried and forgotten,no need to feel sorry imo!

• Like 4

Hey tpw,

Just trying out the latest version (on DEV - for Tanoa!) and it seems that puddles are appearing and disappearing at random - and it isnt even raining.

TPW MODS 20160613: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160613.zip

Changes:

• [ALL] All PBOs updated to use author string instead of author array.
  • [CARS 1.43] Cars no longer forcibly slowed in towns or near AI, due to pathfinding improvements introduced in 136741.
  • [CIVS 1.43] Fixed bug where civilians occasionally did not despawn/respawn if player used teleport scripts. Civs will react to gunfire near player by running away. Civs will no longer stop to interact with each other if it's raining water or bullets. 
  • [CORE 1.21] Will select African civs for Tanoa until BIS releases Fijian units.
  • [FOG 1.38] Fog values adjusted for Tanoa. Heavy optimisations to dewpoint and fog code.
  • [PARK 1.13] Fixed sporadic parking errors on Tanoan dead end dirt roads. 
  • [RADIO 1.24] Random radio messages can be heard whilst on foot
  • [RAINFX 1.11] Code optimisations.
  • [sKIRMISH 1.24] Artillery flares (only those called by AI) modified to actually cast light.

Another large bag of bug fixes and optimisations. The main one's you'll likely notice are improved civilian behaviour, and background military radio chatter when on foot. This requires use of say3d which does not allow volume control via script, so I've set the volumes to be at background level in the config. I realise the radio chatter is not to everyone's taste so it is easily toggled in the hpp or in-game with tpw_radio_foot = 0/1. I'm continuing to work on Tanoan ambience and am slowly acquiring a library of Fijian sounds and music which I'll hopefully be able to incorporate before too long.

I declare my love for you TPW!

• Like 1

Hey tpw,

Just trying out the latest version (on DEV - for Tanoa!) and it seems that puddles are appearing and disappearing at random - and it isnt even raining.

Hi krem

I routinely develop TPW MODS on dev (yes, feeling the love for Tanoa) and have not observed any puddle issues. Have you by any chance changed tpw_puddle_rainthresh in the hpp? 

I declare my love for you TPW!

Cheers GrooveDJ, I aim to please.

Hi TPW, great updates.

Under user factions, is it possible to select more than 1 factions so it gets mixed up or into seperate faction squads? same for their vehicles? I wanted to test some "Joint Operations" quickly without laying down squads in EDEN.

Currently you are limited only by your ability to think of a string (that is shared between the factions you want to deploy.

tpw_skirmish_friendlyunitstring = ""; // Custom string to select friendly units from config

tpw_skirmish_friendlyvehiclestring = ""; // Custom string to select friendly vehicles from config

tpw_skirmish_enemyunitstring = ""; // Custom string to select enemy units from config

tpw_skirmish_enemyvehiclestring = ""; // Custom string to select enemy vehicles from config

I'll look into whether I can make it an array instead of a string, so that people can add multiple strings. No guarantees though!

Hi !

How can I remove the Realistic Tactical Goggles Display on a mission ?

Thanking you in advance.

Hi !

How can I remove the Realistic Tactical Goggles Display on a mission ?

Thanking you in advance.

HI mate, just go in to the USERCONFIG folder and run the "tpw_settings" Python file. There  you can disable HUD.

Hey tpw! Using the fog script is there any of the enviromental effects we should have disabled in the editor (setted to manual override and 0%) like fog and or rain,lightings etc. in order to avoid confilicts? What's the wiser thing to do when using your fog script in a mission?

Hey tpw! Using the fog script is there any of the enviromental effects we should have disabled in the editor (setted to manual override and 0%) like for and or rain,lightings etc. in order to avoid confilicts? What's the wiser thing to do when using your fog script in a mission?

So FOG will attempt to override editor or scenario fog settings in order to make fog and visibility changes consistent with its internal climate model. You can for instance in the editor  set the fog to get thicker over a mission, but TPW FOG will override it.

If you are worried about conflicts, you can try changing either or both of these settings in the tpw_mods.hpp file:

tpw_fog_groundfog = 1; // ground fog enabled. 0 = disabled
tpw_fog_rainfog = 1; // rain fog enabled. 0 = disabled

So FOG will attempt to override editor or scenario fog settings in order to make fog and visibility changes consistent with its internal climate model. You can for instance in the editor  set the fog to get thicker over a mission, but TPW FOG will override it.

If you are worried about conflicts, you can try changing either or both of these settings in the tpw_mods.hpp file:

tpw_fog_groundfog = 1; // ground fog enabled. 0 = disabled
tpw_fog_rainfog = 1; // rain fog enabled. 0 = disabled

Thanks for the clarification.