tpw

TPW MODS: enhanced realism and immersion for Arma 3 SP.

TPW MODS 20160826: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160826.zip

Changes:

• [bLEEDOUT 1.25] Increased length of time before units will self heal.
  • [CARS 1.47] Cars will use the new forcefollowroad command if using build 137962 or greater. Cars have collision disabled with nearby AI/players.
  • [CIVS 1.48] Civs should now properly acknowledge gunfire or rain and not stop to chat if either are happening.
  • [CORE 1.27] Iron Front maps will use European civilians.
  • [FALL 1.51] Units will use appropriate dive to ground animation if taking low damage hit whilst running. Improved randomisation of immobilisation time when on ground after taking a low damage bullet hit. Improved disabling of rotation when on ground. Randomisation of low/high damage threshold for different fall types. Setunconscious ragdolling of player has been replaced with physx ragdolling for the time being owing to problems with scripts running setunconscious for the player.  
  • [FOG 1.42] Fixed ground fog error. Reduced the effect of overcast on temperature.
  • [HUD 1.57] Adjusted icon position for units with undefined stance (especially TPW CROWD civilians).  
  • [sKIRMISH 1.30] Vehicles friendly to the player will stop if closer than 10 m. Vehicles will use the new forcefollowroad command if using build 137962 or greater. Vehicles have collision disabled with nearby AI/players.

Back with my fortnightly slew of changes and bugfixes. Chances are if you've whinged to me about some aspect of TPW MODS in the last few weeks I've addressed it here. On the other hand maybe I didn't. And maybe I addressed things that none of you complained about, as is my wont.

Well done there mate!

Small bug report: when units are triggered to dive to ground, they somehow immediately glitch to a weapon-holstered state, dive to ground, and then pull out their weapons.

Regarding the "Randomisation of low/high damage threshold for different fall types", I did some testing by shooting 9mm at VR entities wearing different vests. It seems like a 4% HP hit has about 1/6 of chance to be registered as setunconscious fall, and when the damage rises to 9%, the chance to setunconscious goes up to about 1/2. I think this is kind of too much...

Hey big thanks man!

Only checked for a sec but saw there was continuous error line 390 in the Cars.sqf i believe

Didnt spot any civvies yet so I better double check those world names i gave ya

Hey Froggy I'd appreciate it if you could confirm the error (which I don't see). Line 390 is related to the new forcefollowroad command. If you're using stable this command doesn't work, but I've added in a detection for it which should be working

Well done there mate!

Small bug report: when units are triggered to dive to ground, they somehow immediately glitch to a weapon-holstered state, dive to ground, and then pull out their weapons.

Regarding the "Randomisation of low/high damage threshold for different fall types", I did some testing by shooting 9mm at VR entities wearing different vests. It seems like a 4% HP hit has about 1/6 of chance to be registered as setunconscious fall, and when the damage rises to 9%, the chance to setunconscious goes up to about 1/2. I think this is kind of too much...

Thanks Sam

You've actually just stumbled across 2 design decisions, not bugs.

There is no proper dive from sprint animation for rifle/pistol, rather, there are two disjointed anims for each (intended for 1st person I'd guess). Only the unarmed variant is a single fluid anim, so I've used that for the time being. I'll investigate if I can stitch the disjointed anims for a future update.

The damage randomisation works thusly: it used to be that if a unit took <0.15 damage they'd use animated fall, and >0.15 they'd ragdoll. Now the threshold is (random 0.2), which averages around 0.1. So overall, units are slightly more likely to ragdoll, but conversely there's now a chance of a bigger hit still resulting in an animated fall. In my testing the change added a bit more variety, if you engage a group of enemies at the same range then you are now more likely to see some variation in the way they drop. You are testament to the fact that I can't please everybody, but at least I pleased myself...

EDIT: I have changed things so that the tpw_fall_bullet variable is used to set the randomised damage threshold (0-1) beyond which ragdolling occurs.

TPW MODS 20160826: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160826.zip

Changes:

• [bLEEDOUT 1.25] Increased length of time before units will self heal.
  • [CARS 1.47] Cars will use the new forcefollowroad command if using build 137962 or greater. Cars have collision disabled with nearby AI/players.
  • [CIVS 1.48] Civs should now properly acknowledge gunfire or rain and not stop to chat if either are happening.
  • [CORE 1.27] Iron Front maps will use European civilians.
  • [FALL 1.51] Units will use appropriate dive to ground animation if taking low damage hit whilst running. Improved randomisation of immobilisation time when on ground after taking a low damage bullet hit. Improved disabling of rotation when on ground. Randomisation of low/high damage threshold for different fall types. Setunconscious ragdolling of player has been replaced with physx ragdolling for the time being owing to problems with scripts running setunconscious for the player.  
  • [FOG 1.42] Fixed ground fog error. Reduced the effect of overcast on temperature.
  • [HUD 1.57] Adjusted icon position for units with undefined stance (especially TPW CROWD civilians).  
  • [sKIRMISH 1.30] Vehicles friendly to the player will stop if closer than 10 m. Vehicles will use the new forcefollowroad command if using build 137962 or greater. Vehicles have collision disabled with nearby AI/players.

Back with my fortnightly slew of changes and bugfixes. Chances are if you've whinged to me about some aspect of TPW MODS in the last few weeks I've addressed it here. On the other hand maybe I didn't. And maybe I addressed things that none of you complained about, as is my wont.

TPW author, thanks for the update, and for that you have considered some my issues. I hope, that mod works well, and that after the updates TWP got better) 

Yes im on stable -here is the result from the rpt. Also, not seeing the RDS civs in the Iron Front maps

Error in expression <tversion select 3 > 137962) then
{
_car forcefollowroad true;
};

if (damage _c>
11:15:14   Error position: <forcefollowroad true;
};

if (damage _c>
11:15:14   Error Missing ;
11:15:14 File TPW_MODS\tpw_cars.sqf, line 390
11:15:14 Error in expression <tversion select 3 > 137962) then
{
_car forcefollowroad true;
};

if (damage _c>
11:15:14   Error position: <forcefollowroad true;
};

if (damage _c>
11:15:14   Error Missing ;

TPW MODS 20160827: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160827.zip

Changes:

• [HPP update required]
  • [CARS 1.48] forcefollowroad deactivated for the time being.
  • [FALL 1.52] Damage threshold for ragdoll falls may now be user specified using the tpw_fall_bullet variable.
  • [FOG 1.43] Rain dependent fog working again. Decreased mist sensitivity to wind. Mist activated by default.
  • [sKIRMISH 1.31] Randomised skill levels for spawned infantry.

Broke my 2 week update rule because I found a slew of other bugs whilst testing out the fix for TPW CARS.

If anyone else can test out the Iron Front + RDS civs combo for me, I'd appreciate it. 
  • Like 5

Hey Froggy I'd appreciate it if you could confirm the error (which I don't see). Line 390 is related to the new forcefollowroad command. If you're using stable this command doesn't work, but I've added in a detection for it which should be working

Thanks Sam

You've actually just stumbled across 2 design decisions, not bugs.

There is no proper dive from sprint animation for rifle/pistol, rather, there are two disjointed anims for each (intended for 1st person I'd guess). Only the unarmed variant is a single fluid anim, so I've used that for the time being. I'll investigate if I can stitch the disjointed anims for a future update.

The damage randomisation works thusly: it used to be that if a unit took <0.15 damage they'd use animated fall, and >0.15 they'd ragdoll. Now the threshold is (random 0.2), which averages around 0.1. So overall, units are slightly more likely to ragdoll, but conversely there's now a chance of a bigger hit still resulting in an animated fall. In my testing the change added a bit more variety, if you engage a group of enemies at the same range then you are now more likely to see some variation in the way they drop. You are testament to the fact that I can't please everybody, but at least I pleased myself...

EDIT: I have changed things so that the tpw_fall_bullet variable is used to set the randomised damage threshold (0-1) beyond which ragdolling occurs.

Thank you for your explanation, sir!

I did not intend to report the randomisation as a bug  :D. I saw that "essay" someone wrote to complain about un-randomised fall, and I respect your decision. Thanks again for adding the variable!

Regarding the fall animation, when I use 3rd persion view to sprint+prone=dive to ground, the animation does appear to be whole and fluid (even when sprinting in a crouched stance)... However I don't know how to access the animation database, so I cannot confirm this. I'll try to do some digging and see if I can help.

BTW, it'll be great if you can add another variable defining the fall-type applied to players independently of the fall-type used on AI, so cheaters like me could just anime-fall all the way XD

Cheers!

Also, not seeing the RDS civs in the Iron Front maps

I had a bit of think, it's probably due to the building classnames for these maps. TPW CIVS needs a list of habitable houses to spawn into.  Any chance you could get hold of those for me?

You are right! There are two disjointed sprinting dive animations that when combined should form a complete one.

I've found a fluid animation for rifle under Movement_Run, the name is "AmovPercMrunSlowWrflDf_AmovPpneMstpSrasWrflDnon_old". Maybe you can use this until you find a way to combine animations...

There is no similar animation for pistol, because pistol-run uses the same animations as pistol-sprint, but I guess the weapon-holstered one should work just fine for pistol.

I had a bit of think, it's probably due to the building classnames for these maps. TPW CIVS needs a list of habitable houses to spawn into.  Any chance you could get hold of those for me?

Yeah kinda figured that as well, sadly cant get the proper classnames as they dont register as typeOf buildings

Hi TPW, author!

I allow myself to express some thoughts: 
In the TPW mod and in the vanilla game also, there are no side effects for the soldier, if he once was injured, and after this, was healed by a medic.(except audio groanings) 
Thus , any wounds can be healed without consequences for the player movement.  
It's not  liked to me always, because such units continues to sprint, as if he was not wounded, among other things, also the blood on his clothes disappears.
How we can understand, that it is impossible to fully cure a injured fighter in a few seconds. Of course we are talking only about the gameplay of the game, but I think, if you will add noticeable repercussion for each unit, which was once injured, then it would be good, because as I understand what you are aiming for maximum realism.

It seems to me, if a unit, once was seriously injured (treshold you must define your own), then this unit should no longer be able to use the sprint.
In the real life, any person is not able do sprint at full speed, if he recently was injured. (!even the medic treated his wound and even, if his legs are intact)
Please note, I mean only the maximum running speed (W+Shift ) 
May be It would be possible to slow the speed of sprint, but I think the player now does not see much big difference in speed between the run (W key) and sprint (W+shift) Maybe better easier to just turn off sprint-ability?

Also I think a once injured unit, should be tired more faster, than the unit that was not injured. 

As seems to me, two points could more decorate TPW:
1. Sprint inability after an once injury. Probably can be recover, after a certain amount of time (can be customizable for the player)
2. Noticeably quickly tiring after injury. Probably can be also recover, after a certain amount of time (can be customizable for the player)

Please tell me what you think about this? 

This features can be done in TPW or not?  ;)

Hi. I think that the latest update to TPW (TPW-MODS-version-20160827) isn't compatible with your latest release of TPW Settings Master. I think that its because TPW changed the format of the HPP file. Is there a work around? Or should we manualy edit the HPP file until Gliptal updates his useful TPW Settings Master?

Hi. I think that the latest update to TPW (TPW-MODS-version-20160827) isn't compatible with your latest release of TPW Settings Master. I think that its because TPW changed the format of the HPP file. Is there a work around? Or should we manualy edit the HPP file until Gliptal updates his useful TPW Settings Master?

If you have python installed then you can use TPW SETTINGS.py, it's easier than doing it totally by hand.

How can you use the skirmish part as a script? I sawn info in the script file it can be used as script in mission, with can be called. However I was not able to to make it work ( mostly because I'm derpy at scripting).

How can you use the skirmish part as a script? I sawn info in the script file it can be used as script in mission, with can be called. However I was not able to to make it work ( mostly because I'm derpy at scripting).

Haven't used it for longer time. Easy possibility: put the code into an init field of an editor object. E.g. in Eden, press F5 and search for "Game logic".

The code needs absolute script paths.

0 = [["str1","str2",etc]] execvm "tpw_core.sqf";
0 = [5,2,6,3,4,1,500,2000,1,1,1,[0,1,etc],[0,1,etc],[0,1,etc],30,"str1","str2","str3","str4","str5","str6",["cas_string",etc],["chs_string",etc],["uav_string",etc],["enemy_cas_string",etc],["enemy_chs_string",etc],["enemy_uav_string",etc],["resist_cas_string",etc],["resist_chs_string",etc],["resist_uav_string",etc]] execvm "\@tpw_mods\scripts\tpw_skirmish.sqf";
I don't know why, but it throws script messages... Have not checked all those args yet, maybe replacement of the placeholder string is mandatory. No candy without those tons of classnames...

Hi TPW, author!

Please tell me what you think about this? 

This features can be done in TPW or not?  ;)

tpw, above i asked you

tpw, above i asked you

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. I haven't done any Arma coding for a week or so, will get round to answering questions and implementing features in good time.

TPW, what do you think about using positional audio for those tpw_hud beeps?

I looked at your mod, you simply emit the sounds via

player say "readoutclick";
...so without deeper knowledge of the code I couldn't change it easily. I guess the player object has to be replaced by the target object(s), or a pseudo object at target location.

BTW, is "readoutclick" a standard ArmA sound? Is there a list somewhere?

TPW, what do you think about using positional audio for those tpw_hud beeps?

I looked at your mod, you simply emit the sounds via

player say "readoutclick";
...so without deeper knowledge of the code I couldn't change it easily. I guess the player object has to be replaced by the target object(s), or a pseudo object at target location.

BTW, is "readoutclick" a standard ArmA sound? Is there a list somewhere?

I already have positional beeping ready for the next release, which will be in a day or so. The user toggles it on/off using ctrl-alt-p in the HUD. The tone changes if the nearest enemy is in front or behind the player, and fades with distance. With headphones especially, it's really useful.

• Like 2

This mod or set of mods is a staple for me and I thank you for enhancing my ARMA experience.

Being somewhat new to ARMA in general I had been having a good time trying out different mods and gear while running dynamic missions provided by DUWS-R, ALIVE, DRO, good times.  So at one point I saw some glasses/shades in the VA and tried them on... Tactical shades FTW!  I had no idea your HUD mod was what made these things relevant in my saved load outs haha.  I used them A LOT.  Only reason I figured out it was the TPW HUD mod that made the tac shades -tacticool- was my desire to come here and post a thank you for bringing the game world alive.

Thanks again, now I'm off to read up about your other tid bits.

Patience, Grasshopper, patience. I haven't done any Arma coding for a week or so, will get round to answering questions and implementing features in good time.

I just wanted to know your opinions about this idea, because you are the master of mod.  :) 

The technical implementation is the second question.

First you have to like the idea, I thought so.

TPW MODS 20160910: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS_20160910.zip

Changes:

• [bLEEDOUT 1.26] Reduced incidence of writhing units rotating to face targets (not 100% perfect, there's something dodgy going on at engine level).
  • [FALL 1.53] Units who have taken a big hit will have their subsequent movement speed decreased slightly.
  • [FOG 1.44] More ground mist wind sensitivity adjustments. 
  • [HUD 1.58] Positional audio ping of nearest enemy (may be toggled with Ctrl-Alt-P). Beep volume dependent on distance to enemy, beep pitch dependent on whether enemy is in front of or behind player

Hi all. Back with my fortnightly release. The main thing of note is the new audio ping feature of TPW HUD, which will play a directional audio beep corresponding to the nearest enemy. It's disabled by default and may be toggled with ctrl + alt + p.  I personally think it works well, but any (reasonable) improvement suggestions are welcome.

The other thing of note is that units who have taken a big bullet hit will now have their subsequent movement speeds slightly decreased. This is my compromise implementation of Mickeyman's suggestion.   

• Like 4