Sign in to follow this  
Vepr

2 cd keys in one box

well, I don't know if anyone has posted this topic before.

I've just bought OFP:Re and I got 2 field manual´s with 2 CD keys. Used one and the don't know if the other works... Is this common? What shell I do with the other one? confused.gif

You should return the other manual to the store you bought the game from, if you choose not to do that just keep it as a backup just in case you lose your manual smile.gif

Return? Naaah

Keep? Yeeeah! well sence I've allready got a CD key could get an extra CD from Codemasters hehehe well sence that not gonna hapened Im gonna keep it =)

You have a right to keep it, it's a packaging error. It is not legal to sell it however. smile.gif

Well you could probably pull it off but it's not right.

i wouild cpy the cd get another computer and u have your self a lan party yea, had my friends round we couldnt play ofp cause none of them had it, if there workin on a linux server do u think well get a linux version of the game u would have to change the dir X to open gl, alot of work me thinks but it would make me happy.

well in a couple of day we will probably hear a guys whinning becse he bought OPF:r and got no manual (hence no cd-key)...

U choose what u want to do, but i hope u understand what u might to do *if u ask why do this, just mind if u like OPF alone or OPF with other player*

I had 2 manuals in my box, too...

I'm never sure how the whole licencing issue works with games like OFP. Obviously you aren't allowed to copy the CD, but you don't need to if you're playing on a LAN. I have a small LAN in my house where me and my friends often play OFP, all I do is use the one CD to start OFP on each machine in turn. Once the game is running it doesn't need the CD, not even for loading missions and stuff. This FADE thing doesn't happen either - never experienced it... As far as I'm concerned I'm not doing anything illegal, it's my copy of the game and I'm using it on my computers... confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as I'm concerned I'm not doing anything illegal, it's my copy of the game<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, the game is not yours, the program is property of Codemasters,

but you have a limited use license to it.

That type of LAN thing is not allowed. smile.gif

Read the license in the manual.

Hmm, you're right. It also says...

"You shall not reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works of the program, in whole, or in part."

Doesn't that kinda screw up the whole mission editing thing??? IMO these software licenses ain't worth the paper they're written on - but I still won't copy a game, that's just wrong! confused.gif

I guess it also depends on local laws. Most EULA/Licenses are void here if i buy software "as a citizen" (in contrast to a company). Cause if i BUY it, i OWN it. I don't pay for a license or stuff, i pay for the software. I can make backups for personal use. I can sell it. So it would be perfectly legal for me to sell my second cd key...

Although it would still be a violation of the copyright if i made a copy for me and sell the original (or the other way round). But i guess there may be countries where the laws are even less restrictive....

Last week I bought this shelf unit and it came with twice as many nuts and bolts as needed... Now I got some ammo for my sling shot.

I got PC games with 2 jewel boxes, but one box would be empty. I got a few times boxes with 2 game instructions in them, and once I bought a game without any instructions in them (and no, it wasn't a budget game where the instructions are on the CD).

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GreyKnight @ Aug. 08 2002,05:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a small LAN in my house where me and my friends often play OFP, all I do is use the one CD to start OFP on each machine in turn.  Once the game is running it doesn't need the CD, not even for loading missions and stuff.  This FADE thing doesn't happen either - never experienced it.<span id='postcolor'>

My brother and I do that very thing (CD switching) and FADE activates every time.  So far it's only kicked in on his computer.

I believe it is legal to make a copy of a CD for your a backup, but it can only be for your use and no one else's.  Codemasters has rendered this difficult or even impossible, as have several other gaming companies.

Benu, if you own the actual software, that means that you own the rights to it.  If you owned the software, then you could manufacture it and sell it, and Codemasters could not.  But they own the software, not you.  We gamers are only licenced to it.  Does that make sense?

[Edit: Whoops!]

I expect the moderators will want to move this thread to General as it seems to have wondered a little off target, feel free mods! smile.gif

I'm curious about FADE, when does it kick in? How long before I should experience it? What does it actually do to the gameplay? Why doesn't it happen on my LAN??? I've played OFP for several hours on my LAN using the disc switching technique and none of the sessions ever degrade in quality, or playability... Another question. If I were to start Resistance up on two networked computers using the same CD, then put the original OFP disc in one machine and kept the Resistance one in the other, would that fool FADE?

I use Windows XP on my computers and I know XP has some strange protocols for accessing the CD drive. Could it be that this prevents FADE from functioning correctly?

Kermit: No, it doesn't wink.gif

As i said it depends on your local laws. I don't own the COPYRIGHT to the software i buy, but i own the SOFTWARE. I know that this is not true in e.g. the USA, where you just LICENSE the game but it's true here. Luckily the US laws don't apply for the whole world.

And copying the game is not that hard, it's just SafeDisc V2.51. The are cd writer and software that can cope with this. I actually have my original stowed in a safe place where the cat can't get it and play from a backup. No Fade, no problems. I guess the "Fade in LAN" problem is more a "only one cd key on several computer" problem than anything having to do with the cd...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (highplainsdrifter @ Aug. 13 2002,06:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've got the opposite problem--just bought a copy of Resistance and it has no field manual.  Not a happy camper.<span id='postcolor'>

Either exchange it or call up Codemasters (check their contact page at www.codemasters.com ) and they should be able to give you a key over the phone and mail you the missing manual.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Doesn't that kinda screw up the whole mission editing thing??? <span id='postcolor'>

No, since that quote refers to "the Program", so you are not allowed

to create another software that uses "the Program".

Correct me if i'm wrong..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> As i said it depends on your local laws. I don't own the COPYRIGHT to the software i buy, but i own the SOFTWARE. I know that this is not true in e.g. the USA, where you just LICENSE the game but it's true here. Luckily the US laws don't apply for the whole world.

<span id='postcolor'>

No, no, no!

Have you read the license?

It very clearly states that "you have a limited use license", and any local

or US laws have nothing to say about that.

If that licensing would apply only in the US, then why would a company

from UK even use that kind of license?

Once you've installed the game, you have agreed to the license.

Most software, with the exception of freeware, is owned by its

author, and the user just has the license to use it.

I suggest that you read the boring licenses before using the games/operating

systems/programs you have bought.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LauryThorn @ Aug. 13 2002,07:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have you read the license?

It very clearly states that "you have a limited use license", and any local

or US laws have nothing to say about that.

If that licensing would apply only in the US, then why would a company

from UK even use that kind of license?

Once you've installed the game, you have agreed to the license.<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry to say that - but the law of the country I live in also regulates what kind of treaties (like that license agreement) are valid. If an agreement/treaty is in conflict with what the law say the law superceedes the treaty. I think that is the same in all countries around the world - even in the US. And it doesn't matter if I pretended to agree with the license or not while installing.

Now if one country has less restrictive copyright laws or defines software differently (as a good, not just a right of use), the citizens got other rights than those in another country where the law is more restrictive or the law makers see software as something purely intelectual, not material.

So we over here in Germany  for example are allowed to sell even OEM versions (the software that you get with your computer and that you usually are not allowed to sell according to the license agreements). We are allowed by the law to make backup copies, be it M$ Office or OFP. If we sell the software, of course, we have to give the buyer all our backup copies, too - or destroy them.

BTW: You might find - if you look at the licence agreements for most european countries, that they usually only forbid you to make ILEGAL copies. What a legal copy is defines your local law. So they're fine and we're fine smile.gif

Moving to General, since as somebody pointed out has very little to do with Resistance smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kermit @ Aug. 10 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you own the actual software, that means that you own the rights to it. If you owned the software, then you could manufacture it and sell it, and Codemasters could not. But they own the software, not you. We gamers are only licenced to it.<span id='postcolor'>

Joltan, did you totally ignore my reply to Benu, or what?

I have a small LAN at my home and I´ve tried the "start-up-and-switch-cd"-procedure on my computers...and it didnt work (I used the same cd-key on all installs)...It just said "remember, original copy doesnt fade" (or something like that) and I guess that means the fadesystem kicked in).

I dont know what the cd-key is used for, but doesnt the game check if another, similar cd-key is in use in the same multiplayersession, and if so - kick in the "fade"??

Otherwise, whats the cd-key for??

Kermit: He read your posting. And he understood it. That's more than i can say about you. Cause he and i already wrote that we got LAWS which actually say something like "all license agreements are void". What we can legally do with software we buy (yes, we BUY software, we don't license it, that's LAW here too) is governed by our laws. And the law says besides other points "you can resell YOUR software" and "you are allowed to make backups for own use." What's legal and what's illegal depends on the LAWS (hence the word) which apply. And those differ from country to country. The license agreement is only for countries where they are valid...