Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

When is this game going to be good?

Do you really know the meaning of "multiplayer"?

Coop is Hunting to AI with some friend

PVP (that there isn't in this game) is multiplayer

MP is several human players. Period.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ok Have fun with "defend Kamino" :D

A bit blinkered there Zukov me thinks.

Multiplayer can be either COOP or PvP. And regarding playing missions in "MP", get yourself into a decent community who create COOP and PvP missions for said community. I have and we are already playing some awesome missions, both types of "MP" I might add!

I guess there are alot of peoples like me that doesn't have time for organised MP gameplay. People like me prefer then MP fast-food. But most of the fast-foods are sadly - unsavoury. I guess there is not a rescue for people like me :D

A bit blinkered there Zukov me thinks.

Multiplayer can be either COOP or PvP. And regarding playing missions in "MP", get yourself into a decent community who create COOP and PvP missions for said community. I have and we are already playing some awesome missions, both types of "MP" I might add!

again, this game will ships without SP campaign, with few showcases, and a MP part almost all with coop missions, right?

the onlly two PVP missions made by BIS are "seize something" but no one has seen, right?

the only hope that we have for a PVP mission (bugfree) is only in the "goodwill" of some user, right?

at least BiS has to give to us proper tools or template and visitor 4 too, if no, arma 3 is a virtual journey in greece

Think I will be waiting till game is out before I start spouting BS about what it has and doesn't have.

You hang around with the wrong type of players, then, since you're saying "there is no PvP in this game".

I'm a huge fan myself of human vs. human modes, but still find plenty of fun with Cooperative missions, it's all a matter of finding the right people to play with.

Think I will be waiting till game is out before I start spouting BS about what it has and doesn't have.

I saw that on the countdown page, maybe you have other secret information.

You hang around with the wrong type of players, then, since you're saying "there is no PvP in this game".

i mean made by BIS

I am playing Arma3 MP on a nearly regular basis. My team is playing Arma 2 and Arma 3 as well.

On Arma3

I had played Coop ... hunted by IA with friends,

I had also played TdM, CtF and C&H.

I am playing Arma3 MP on a nearly regular basis. My team is playing Arma 2 and Arma 3 as well.

On Arma3

I had played Coop ... hunted by IA with friends,

I had also played TdM, CtF and C&H.

indeed, are all port of the previous missions, made in arma 2/oa

armed assault and arma2/oa had a plenty PVP game modes, arma 3 no

I tried again, I ended up getting bored of waiting for people to leave the base, they stood there for a good 20 mins. So I spent 10 mins driving across the map to the objective but for some reason the wheel decided to come off just for going over a big bump.......... aren't these military vehicles made for that? I ended up killing myself, going back to the base and everyone was still there lol. Eventually we all got in a helicopter and left to an objective, got there and had no clue what was going on, there were no enemies and all of a sudden the objective was updated and we all got in a helicopter or two and went to another object.

By which point I got bored and quit, another lame ARMA 3 experience...

ahaha, man, I can't stop laughing :D this is so accurate, I should probably be crying instead about the state of affairs in Arma 3.

you hit the nail on the head. it lacks structure. I mean, the game is obviously made with single-player missions in mind, and multiplayer feels like an afterthought. the most popular activity - Co-op multiplayer - is barely supported (bad performance all around, complete server meltdown if you have more than a 100 AI units on the map, hence why most dynamic missions are so boring).

the only thing this game shines at is PvP (DayZ is a testament to that). but nobody plays PvP because there aren't any good scenarios that would play off of the game's strengths. I used to like Warfare in Arma 2, but it was always hard to find a good server (or any kind of server really). best PvP games happen "behind closed doors" because most players can't stand the through of playing with and against random people.

this is the reality of Arma's community. I liked DayZ when it first came out because I was tired of playing small Co-op scenarios and Domination, but the DayZ Standalone got confirmed and the mod descended into the same abyss - a million servers each with custom files and settings.

looks like it's turning into a rant... anyway, since Project Reality seems to be transitioning to Arma 3 it could be worth waiting to see what they can come up with. hopefully it doesn't take them 8 years to make PR 1.0 for Arma 3.

ahaha, man, I can't stop laughing :D this is so accurate, I should probably be crying instead about the state of affairs in Arma 3.

you hit the nail on the head. it lacks structure. I mean, the game is obviously made with single-player missions in mind, and multiplayer feels like an afterthought. the most popular activity - Co-op multiplayer - is barely supported (bad performance all around, complete server meltdown if you have more than a 100 AI units on the map, hence why most dynamic missions are so boring).

the only thing this game shines at is PvP (DayZ is a testament to that). but nobody plays PvP because there aren't any good scenarios that would play off of the game's strengths. I used to like Warfare in Arma 2, but it was always hard to find a good server (or any kind of server really). best PvP games happen "behind closed doors" because most players can't stand the through of playing with and against random people.

this is the reality of Arma's community. I liked DayZ when it first came out because I was tired of playing small Co-op scenarios and Domination, but the DayZ Standalone got confirmed and the mod descended into the same abyss - a million servers each with custom files and settings.

looks like it's turning into a rant... anyway, since Project Reality seems to be transitioning to Arma 3 it could be worth waiting to see what they can come up with. hopefully it doesn't take them 8 years to make PR 1.0 for Arma 3.

+12 and i never understood, in arma 3, why for join in game you have a 3-4 gui screens with atrocious lobby for spawn and another gui screen for respawn

(...)I mean, the game is obviously made with single-player missions in mind, and multiplayer feels like an afterthought.

I share the same thoughts of both of you. Also looking forward for PR.

But I believe it will get better eventually if they match the offline performance online and improve the contols (squad commanding SP\MP, weapons shenanigans) and UI (ingame and mp related).

Well, as an old player I did not see this as something new. Codemasters always had problems apart from the original OFP, since ArmA 1. So nothing new on that part.

Well, as an old player I did not see this as something new. Codemasters always had problems apart from the original OFP, since ArmA 1. So nothing new on that part.

Codemasters was never involved in Arma.

Codemasters was never involved in Arma.

Tpfu.. sorry, was thinking about codemasters at the time. I meant bis.. :)

I suppose it all depends on what you ask of the game really. Problems will always be around in Arma, just a matter of perception.

just search for yourself a group and setup a private hypnosis session with a professional hypnotizer to convince everbody that the game is really good.

just kidding, a few problems Bi does not seem to care about are(i guess we can say that 12 days ahead of release and still no sign of improvement whatsoever),

the stoneage serverbrowser which is not actually a feature of the game but a handicap, it does hardly provide any usefull information about missions and mods.

also there the problem with multiplayer performance, a lot of people put the blame on badly coded missions but that is not even half the truth, in fact the net code/server architecture is a mess that needs to be overhauled... but it didnt happen.

imho those are the central issues preventing arma3 to becomeing finally good... please dont listen to those people trying to blame YOU for not joining some stupid fanboy team to play private missions because this game is neither capeable to provide decent MP performance nor to provide a server browser that does contribute to the development of a decent public multiplayer server culture (both for coop and pvp)

EDIT: apparently this post was reported, sorry i didnt mean to upset the gedankenpolizei.

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

lol reported for what? I think your comments are valid. Anyone who's played ARMA3 MP for long enough will agree totally with you ie. regular desynching, getting kicked regularly because of some Steam ticket failure, horrible entry screens, etc. We love the game however there are definite improvements that need to be made (issues which were there from OFP!).

Funny, I find BF3 to look like ass when flying around in helo or jet -the ground, trees and everything just looks horrible. The indoors look great though imo. Crysis is great looking in that glossy, hyper bloomed, small contained kind of way but pretty beat very quickly and it's also almost the complete antithesis of a sandbox shooter so barely qualifies for a comparison. I think I played Crysis 2 twice after buying and then shelved it. GTA 4 (I believe you meant) has more "poorly optimized" "runs like baby diaper" threads then you can shake a stick out -try a quick google and you'll see what I mean.

Crysis 1 does look and run very well on the 64bit mode. Star Citizen is made on the latest CryEngine version, 64bit only, DX11 only. I think there were a lot of movies at some point, about the characteristics of said engine.

He was talking about GTA5, that although will look like crap, can still work rather well on such an obsolete hardware, with a great deal of physics and real time animations (Euphoria).

Just Cause 2 has a map of 32x32km = 1024 square km. Of course, it uses some tricks to do that, but it shows it can be done.

Anyway, performance wise, I can run it quite good even on an Eyefinty setup (almost all on Ultra plus some AA) using a single overclocked 7950, however, the performance just drops like a stone in MP.

That aside, what is missing from the game, including on the MP side, are civilians NPC (like in GTA or Just Cause), vehicles, some radio stations, simple AI routines, that kind of stuff. I can provide myself with "tons of fun" with just the editor, too bad it all feels so dead. :/

Hopefully, Bis will improve upon the MP interface and structure in the future, will fine tune the physics on the vehicles and objects, probably add Euphoria, add the ability to shoot from the car, nicer damage models for vehicles and objects (physics included), an AI life (Stalker mods here you come) and so on. Oh, a man can dream! :D

PS: If you need to find selected groups in order to have fun in MP, it's not good, not good at all for that game.

If I'm honest I'm not interested in players VS A.I, I've always thought that was a lame thing for Care Bears. What I wanted is to have proper structured online PVP missions where you need actual team work to attack or defend, maybe a survival mode like Dayz but without Zombies... just something! Instead it's 99.9% nothing. I have no idea why people love fighting the A.I so much, every single server I've joined that has done that has been boring as hell. The A.I are really dumb for one thing, I've not been killed by them once, just so easy to out smart, half the time I end up just waiting for them to all run out of the same door like idiots.... eurgh.

If I'm honest I'm not interested in players VS A.I, I've always thought that was a lame thing for Care Bears. What I wanted is to have proper structured online PVP missions where you need actual team work to attack or defend, maybe a survival mode like Dayz but without Zombies... just something! Instead it's 99.9% nothing. I have no idea why people love fighting the A.I so much, every single server I've joined that has done that has been boring as hell. The A.I are really dumb for one thing, I've not been killed by them once, just so easy to out smart, half the time I end up just waiting for them to all run out of the same door like idiots.... eurgh.

Try to remember that the game has not been properly released yet. IE we just recently got access to Altis, not all content has been made available for mission makers to create the vast amount of rich missions that exist for Arma 2. Once the game goes retail mission makers can start creating fun MP missions for real. In other words patience :)

And I agree, missions with pure PVE becomes boring pretty fast. Imo one of the greatest missions in Arma 2 was Warfare Benny edition. It mixed PVE with PVP and provided a truly epic experience. Think of warfare as Battlefield x10 :)

Is it just me or do the animations not feel as good as ARMA 2? Like when I'm running in different directions the character model looks so stiff and horrible, where in ARMA 2 he would run at all different angles. When I'm running up hills in first person it's like the game keeps my perspective as if I'm on flat ground and it makes you seem so close to the ground, I also don't feel encumbered like ARMA 2 either. Instead all that happens now is your vision gets blurred at the edges and he sounds like he's having a fit... just more annoying than anything.

are civilians NPC (like in GTA or Just Cause), vehicles, some radio stations, simple AI routines, that kind of stuff. I can provide myself with "tons of fun" with just the editor, too bad it all feels so dead. :/

I've only played a few hours of JF2 but don't remember any civilians -I'll have to delve a little deeper :) GTA's whole engine and gameplay is somewhat based around a large, urban bustling environment that seems unfair to expect from a mil-sim. Even VBS2 has a middleware 'civilian populate' plugin but it is way more simplistic than a GTA as you can have huge groups of civvies sticking to the sidewalk but they don't banter, bump each other and stop or pet doggies. Yeah, that would be awesome but again, probably outside the scope of an already overscoped game.

probably add Euphoria

We'd all love that but don't think it's gonna happen.