Sign in to follow this  
mannulus

Shotguns in ArmA 3?

The game should include shotguns to widen the scenario options, as said above. In particular I think the civilian faction could benefit from having a shotgun, as currently there are no dedicated civilian weapons that differ significantly from those available to the military factions.

It's strange that the campaign is having a bit of a focus on the rag-tag rebel faction yet all their small arms are high-end military weapons albeit without optics.

So you're a sailor, with limited contact to people who maybe once in a twenty year career actually load their weapons with live rounds and board a ship with people on board who might shoot at them. Yeah, super SF first hand knowledge you're sitting on right there.

1: Regular Contact - not "Limited" Contact. Thats like, 3-4 Times a day.

2: Thats a downright Insult to anyone working these Jobs, risking their lives on a daily Basis, and you call out BS like "once in twenty years" - i'm not the one badly informed here, good sir.

The Middle East is neither Africa nor Afghanistan. How the heck did Africa even come up? I certainly didn't mention it. For someone claiming to know so much about these things, you're really bad at geography. And I know you haven't seen American units in neither Iraq nor Afghanistan carrying a 1/1 ratio of shotguns and assault rifles because I'm not an idiot.

I said i've seen those guys stationned in the Middle East. You said "they aren't even there anymore, they are in Afghanistan, and thats Asia" - so what else is the Middle East for you then, if not some Northern African Countries around Egypt? I honestly have no idea what you want to tell me since you bring up a different excuse every post you make. (Which is why i hardly disbelive the "i'm not an Idiot" since i've seen those guys, why wouldn't a Squad dedicated to breaching Houses for a search carry a fair amount of breaching equipment?) From a European understanding, the Middle East is anything "down there" around Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, whatever you want to count.

Since this discussion is waaay out of Hands now and has absolutely zero to do anymore with ArmA 3 and Shotguns, i'd like to ask you so stop making up different excuses every post and claim your superiour knowledge in this Topic. We can still go on about this in PM's or any Chat you might want to use.

Supporting fraczek, 2nd Ranger and Kasha here, we definitely need lower-spec weaponry. Well, an AA12 (AA40) and a Bullpup-designed Keltec-Clone of a Shotgun might not be exactly these weapons, but they are a step towards more variety. I just hope some older civilian Weapons (Older in Terms of 2035 - so might as wenn be totally up to date weaponry from 2013) will make their way ingame to these Guerillias.

1, You mean to tell me that German navy, or any navy boarding units for that matter, are actually boarding ships held controlled by armed enemies on a daily basis? I have a hard time believing you're even a cook on a cargo freighter.

2, Yeah, I'm European as well. The difference between the two of us is that I bothered to find out what part of the world is called the Middle East, whilst you just settled for "eh, sumthing 'round Africa?"

The above comments have NOTHING to do with OPs original post. Take it to Private Messages Guys. Or maybe a mod should just lock this one up.

From a European understanding, the Middle East is anything "down there" around Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, whatever you want to count.

Afghanistan and Pakistan are not in the Middle East, neither is what you're saying a "European understanding" but a common misconception among the geographically illiterate people in the western world from Europe to North America, to whom "the Middle East" is synonymous with the entire muslim world.

As for the actual topic, if a breaching system was added to the game:

- Breaching rounds would not be for combat. Neither do you probably want to risk hurting yourself by breaching a door with normal buckshots or slugs.

- A shotgun is quick when there's little time, but a lot surer way in real life is to use C4/dynamite/whatever to blow the door open because a shotgun breaching round might not properly destroy the lock (you're supposedly going to storm into a building with bad guys inside and giving them heads up probably ain't the best thing).

- For combat use, buckshots and slugs have trouble penetrating protective vests, and even against a more primitive enemy it's just way too situational to endorse their usage over an assault rifle/carbine/smg.

... hence, it's rather hard to believe a unit carrying a huge load of shotguns.

Edited by SandyBandy

Aside all the reality,references, and whats used and what isn't used, I'd still like to see a/some shotguns in the game, as CQC is fun with a shotgun,

especially in the mission insurgency, or other missions where the enemy is inside houses, buildings, or just part way down the block,

more guns, more options, allow more different types of play.

Shotguns will come in the "The Doors" DLC, which will fix the action menu when using doors (not opening the one behind you, for example),,doors will be lockable and breachable with the news shotguns.

This will be cool, and interesting, where did you read this, and when is this DLC expected?

This will be cool, and interesting, where did you read this, and when is this DLC expected?

It will be released around the same time Jim Morrison is resurrected. :)

Oh snap, is BIS planning to deliver a Keltec KSG? I plan to counter with a UTAS UTS-15 if that is the case. ;)

It will be released around the same time Jim Morrison is resurrected.

So basically never. DLC, nonDLC I dont really care, just someone make some shotguns for Arma3.

An M-16/shotgun(Masterkey) combination would look great in Arma 3 or OA.

Yeah, I think that would look pretty good too.

ah - somebody in this thread mentioned that 'the arma 3 shotgun was only shown in a single screenshot' - it's false.

BI posted a video on youtube, pre-alpha, showing off the ragdoll physics of bodies with a sniper, a guy in a scuba suit shooting an enemy from the water then stealing his uniform and proceeding to walk into an enemy base, demonstrating the disguises. then, they showed off a video of the cool new tank and vehicle physics, the new weapons such as the MX and MK18 i believe - but they also showed off a wonderful 2034 shotgun with PUMP animations after each shot and a reload animation of shells being fed into the feed.. - I have sinced looked for these videos and cannot find them, but they did exist - heh, i was going to use them as evidence in a 'what happened to the shotguns (and potential for an upgrade on the aging 'magazines in disguise' of shotgun and bolt-action single-shell feed style weapons, perhaps?) in 1.0' - cos yeh, it's odd as in the editor it is possible to place the aged arma 2 style '8rnd magazine of shotgun ammo' in crates, with them having absolutely no point whatsoever in the default vanilla game (but yeh, having been decent for arma 2 style shotguns via addons)

i personally want to see shotguns, and also proper bolt action single reloading (and being able to top up a chamber after an ejection, a reload of a single shell), not only in arma 3 but in dayz also, as well as the chambered round of a previous magazine upon a reload without spending or ejecting bringing the ammo count up to 31, for example, rather than 30. it personally makes no sense, when im prone to reloading before spending the entire 'mag' of a bolt action style single-shell-at-a-time-reload sniper rifle, in modded arma3, that the 25 odd sniper rounds i am carrying take up the same space as 5/5/5/5/5 as they do when at perhaps 3/2/1/1/1, for example, especially after playing a 'sort of' upgrade in 'dayz standalone', with the 'loose rounds' and repacking of mags. it's something that, if it is still this way in arma 4, it will be very disappointing, especially after seeing an attempted (although still illogical and incomplete and unrealistic) upgrade on the 'dayz standalone' product.. (i personally wish this game spent another 6 months in beta)

for now though, more missions ought to use the wonderful 'mag repack' mod, it kind of shocks me that none that i've played have got it in-built to the mission file.

Edited by EdG6686

@Mannulus

No worries. Lots of cool shotguns on the way ;) Also check out my NATO/Russian AK pack for combat shotgun and underbarrel shotgun

arma3%202014-03-19%2016-32-39-56_zpsoyotnq9w.jpg

arma3%202014-04-01%2001-28-06-22_zps2uiuxhtb.jpg

Here's the thing that makes a shotgun a good weapon.

The ability to switch a round out!

For example;

I'm engaged in cqc, shooting buckshot along alleyways or inside buildings.

Suddenly I'm engaged by something a little further away making my buckshot useless.

While having 6 rounds in my tube instead of 8, I should be able to load 2 SLUGrounds in there and after I'm done with those 2 I can continue clearing.

It's called breachloading, something that is almost a standard when it comes to the shotgun weapon platform and it's manipulation.

In our current Armaverse and engine this would require the weapon system to be able to load multiple "magazines" (since ammotypes are divided by entire mags and not ammo) and every magazine being 1 single round.

It'll probably never happen I know, but I can dream :')

It'll probably never happen I know, but I can dream :')

Probably not exactly like this. But we can still swap magazines, and it can be configured to happen quickly. Also, a KSG like shotgun (as once existed as a Mod) was perfectly working with two barrels, where you could have loaden one with buck, one with slugs, no problem. So, loading different single bullets in a gun might not happen, but exchangeable ammo surely is plausible. At least, i don't see no reason to not include it, when it works with the SDAR, and many mods feature this, too. So i'm quite sure we are going to see such a feature, IF! Bohemia would actually include shotguns at all.

I suppose that the biggest problem is the magazine system. Finding a way to bypass it through some clever scripting or something of the sort would probably be the first step towards authentic shotguns.

I've got a working M4 Super 90/M1014 in the Irish Forces mod. Also got a semi-ported Saiga sitting here some where..

Negative, i'm a german Navy sailor, and in a position that i have regular contact with SEK-M and Marine Boarding Teams. Not claiming to be one myself, nor did i say that i have to do anything with SEALs. But that should be pretty clear when i stated "G36", since i haven't heard of SEALs walking around with that gun much. Also, lets' not bring Call of Duty in here, i honestly am not really convinced on your maturity here. "Stealing a Computer to find the bad guy" sounds a bit too much like CoD BF-ish stuff or B-Class War Movies to me, rather than reality. I am talking about Informations, which can be posessed in hundreds of possible ways not involving CoD-esque shoot 'em Up-Raids.

Middle-East doesn't really focus on africa only, and i never mentionned Africa. How do you want to know i haven't?

My Point is - and remains - clear, Shotguns do have a place in Battle. In Special Roles, of course, but i never said anything else. They have stopping power, they have breaching power, and

When the german navy visted us down here in south africa I spoke to one of those marien boarding parties. Maybe only 1shot gun is used per boarding team. This is on a boat. Our boarding teams don't use them. My boat dumped shot guns and SMGs before I even joined the navy. Only use I know for shot guns is prisoner control and less leathel opstions.

Basicaly shot guns serve littil purpos in a warzone.

Maybe only 1shot gun is used per boarding team. This is on a boat.

Thats about right, oly a few bigger teams have two, and sometimes a few of the normal Riflemen carry a compact secondary shotgun, but the Shotty as main weapon is used rarely. My point also was never that it's some kind of regularly used main weapon, but shotguns certainly can work in a few occasions, and while they serve little purpose in open warzones, they do serve one within a few special occasions. Having some in ArmA would definitely not hurt. And for Police Mods, or even just playing as lower-tech militia a shotgun could work great. (And would be more believable than a militia running around with Tavors.)

Thats about right, oly a few bigger teams have two, and sometimes a few of the normal Riflemen carry a compact secondary shotgun, but the Shotty as main weapon is used rarely. My point also was never that it's some kind of regularly used main weapon, but shotguns certainly can work in a few occasions, and while they serve little purpose in open warzones, they do serve one within a few special occasions. Having some in ArmA would definitely not hurt. And for Police Mods, or even just playing as lower-tech militia a shotgun could work great. (And would be more believable than a militia running around with Tavors.)

I agree a few shot gun types would do great. Of course they all ready in the game in the form of mods. I see littil chance of them being usefull in any campaghin.

Have you seen what miltsia and rebel have access to day. They make the FIA look like boy scouts. I do not think I have ever seen a majo rebel group use shot guns.

i think this is the same as the F35.... BIS probebly jused them as testing objects but never intended to bring them in the game... or made them but thought after all that it wasn't suited. there should be a weapons update in the DLC Marksman (should be coming out this year or next year after helicopters) and maybe they put a shotgun in that....

not sure though its still unclear till they tell us more!

but ido hope they bring it in would be awesome to have a shotgun in a CQC battle in kavala or so..